3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Hogwarts Legacy

el carlitos

AndyGanteks

Kind of a shame quidditch isn't there, some PS1 HP games had it, given that broom flying and free roam is there and they pretty much included 99% of everyone's favorite things, it is a shame this isn't in.

10 hours ago, AndyGanteks said:

Kind of a shame quidditch isn't there, some PS1 HP games had it, given that broom flying and free roam is there and they pretty much included 99% of everyone's favorite things, it is a shame this isn't in.

What makes you so sure it isn't there? I really think it will be there and will be great ... I mean the developers are huge Harry Potter fans and they must know that Quidditch is one of the most requested features of this game so I'd be very very surprised if it really isn't in the game. I really think they save it for a later reveal because it will be a fully fledged Quidditch game within Hogwarts Legacy and it will maybe even get its own presentation. I'm looking forward to it!

11 hours ago, DexMacLeod said:

I'm curious as to how much time will pass in the game and if there will be a way to keep exploring the world after the story's ended. Since we'll only be a student for three years will we experience that three years and that's it or does the whole game just take place over one school year?

Either way, it'd seem weird to just sort of wander around Hogwarts after we've graduated or over the course of an "endless summer". 

Bully: Endless Summer :)

Edited by Emmi

AndyGanteks

Hopefully, but it should've been mentioned at least if it is in, usually being quiet means the opposite.

Space Cowboy

Thought I would share this in case it went under the radar. It contains bits of info about the game:
https://www.hogwartslegacy.com/en-gb/faq
Perhaps the most interesting bit of info to me at least are the locations. They say it will feature both familiar locations (Hogwarts, Forbidden Forest, Hogsmeade) as well as some new ones. I'm stoked to see locations that movies never covered (perhaps they will go even beyond what was in the books?), but it's hard to say how large the game will be. To me anything beyond Hogwarts and its surrounding areas is a big plus already.

And of course the issue of how much of an RPG it is, whether there are genuine choices & consequences... we'll see...

In regards to Quidditch, I also find it strange they have't mentioned it at all since broom flight is featured in the game. This is all they said on the subject:

Q: Does Hogwarts Legacy have broom flight?

A: Broom flight is a method of travel in Hogwarts Legacy and there are also broom races. Players can take a Flying class to master their broomstick flying skills.

AndyGanteks

^ Exactly what i mean, there's broom flight, broom races and a flying class, but nothing on the actual Quidditch events.

It just feels like a weird yet large omit because everything else major is there as seen in the trailers and descriptions.

I can see Quidding being kinda tricky from a development point of view to make it feel good in a modern game, so it might be a case of either do it right or not at all.

I haven't watched the full video of the trailer, but the bits I've seen of it so far, the main character (you) is a mute, is this correct, or not? Because if my character is a mute, I have some mixed feelings about the game to be honest. It kind of breaks the feeling for me that my character is just blank staring at everyone, not saying a word. 

signature500x-e1644500940546.png

Yeah, the no Quidditch thing is a major bummer, for me. The only reason I can see for them not to bring it up is if it's not in the game or it's post-launch dlc. They did show the Quidditch pitch, though, so there's some hope. Personally, I would have had a whole team developing the Quidditch mini-game alongside the rest of the game.

2 hours ago, Franceska said:

I haven't watched the full video of the trailer, but the bits I've seen of it so far, the main character (you) is a mute, is this correct, or not? Because if my character is a mute, I have some mixed feelings about the game to be honest. It kind of breaks the feeling for me that my character is just blank staring at everyone, not saying a word. 

I think I saw a brief moment where the main character spoke. I could be wrong, though.

3 hours ago, AndyGanteks said:

Hopefully, but it should've been mentioned at least if it is in, usually being quiet means the opposite.

iirc when R* did their marketing for red dead 2, in all those videos etc we got to see the same places, they didnt show anything real about new austin being in the game so that was a nice surprise when you actually played the game

2 hours ago, Franceska said:

he speaks when he casts his spells, so he wont be a mute like in gta online

I think your character has a voice but they weren't showing it yet. Like PunkD said they did make noises when casting spells and stuff, and there were a few shots in the trailer where it looked like the protag was about to speak but they cut away just in time.

18 hours ago, Jason said:

I think your character has a voice but they weren't showing it yet. Like PunkD said they did make noises when casting spells and stuff, and there were a few shots in the trailer where it looked like the protag was about to speak but they cut away just in time.

But why would they hide it? Isn't it a huge selling point they could make? "Your character is fully voiced so you can be fully immersed as a student of Hogwarts, interacting with your fellow students, etc etc". It's so stupid if your character is only capable of muttering spells, but not actually able to talk. :/ 

signature500x-e1644500940546.png

8 minutes ago, Franceska said:

But why would they hide it? Isn't it a huge selling point they could make? "Your character is fully voiced so you can be fully immersed as a student of Hogwarts, interacting with your fellow students, etc etc". It's so stupid if your character is only capable of muttering spells, but not actually able to talk. :/ 

Dunno, maybe they're still recording the lines, wip. Did look to me like you had a voice though but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Dunno, maybe they're still recording the lines, wip. Did look to me like you had a voice though but we'll see.

You can hear the main character speak at 4:08 in the gameplay trailer.

I guess they're not showing much insight into the character or as mentioned above the lines are WIP, idk. Would rather hear all voice lines pan out in-game anyways tbh.

Edited by DEADWOODZ

Hey I just watched that video, it looks good if they keep all promises and long and good story. I remeber old PS2 game like prisoner of Azkaban, I love it except I finished it in day.

Im alone in this opinion, or it has some aesthetics of Red dead redemption 2? Maybe its thanks to same timeline or similar graphical style.

• 4 months later...
Space Cowboy

I was really looking forward to playing it this fall, but the game got delayed to February 10th, unfortunately. Perhaps the delay has something to do with the Switch version. I assume if it's not cloud only, they might have a lot of difficulties bringing it to that platform.

Shock, another game delay i saw coming.

There's not really much i'm looking forward to coming out the back end of this year. Which sucks...

Edited by DEADWOODZ

8 minutes ago, DEADWOODZ said:

There's not really much i'm looking forward to coming out the back end of this year. Which sucks...

I have nothing. I'll buy Fifa cause Fifa w/ the mates is tradition but beyond that... nothing.

2023's looking to be expensive as f*ck though.

music and movie entertainment section dont do all this delays the gaming industry does ... i dont get it, why announce 2021, then 2022, now feb 2023 (and then what?! We NeEd ExTrA TiMe MaRch 23 lol)

i wish they wouldnt communicate release times if they are not safe to meet their plans

and the twitter video didnt make it any better "we have to delay the game, but we can pat ourselves now because we give you a release date" ...

The impact covid had on game development + the Cyberpunk launch has pushed all the games back.

Covid slowed development down massively, setting AAA projects back months and some probably years. It was predicted that precisely this would happen very early into the pandemic and it was proved right.

Cyberpunk (and BF 2042) have also gave developers a bit of a reality check I think. They're all scared of being the next technically plagued launch and the wory for what can do for their game and reputation, so I think we've seen delays because of that too.

I don't get it either if I'm honest. What is causing all those delays as of late? I thought 2020 was bad but jeez, 2022 is on a whole other level and possibly the worst year in gaming of all time.

At the end of 2021 everyone was promised a banger year for videogames in 2022 now it seems like we repeat it once more and everyone is telling me 2023 will be the best year in gaming of all time or something like that.

Well, I'll believe it when I see it because I don't trust this no more ... delays left and right wherever you look and if something is released chances are its full of bugs and glitches and a mess in general.

Only a proper GTA VI reveal can safe 2022 for me now.

Edited by Emmi

16 hours ago, Emmi said:

Well, I'll believe it when I see it because I don't trust this no more ... delays left and right wherever you look and if something is released chances are its full of bugs and glitches and a mess in general.

So you don't want developers to release an unfinished product but you are also not okay with them delaying games to ensure they release a finished product?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very disappointed with the delay myself. I feel like they are missing the missing a great release window as I'm sure this game would have been on so many people's Christmas gifts.... but if they release it in a good state I don't think it's going to matter at all. GTA 5 was delayed multiple times, particularly on PC, yet no one remembers that anymore because of how well optimized it was. Cyberpunk 2077 is in a much better state now, yet people will always look back at it's failed launch. A delayed good launch is always better than a rushed, unfinished one. If Hogwarts Legacy releases in a good state, nobody is going to remember these delays but it can be borderline reputation damaging if they release a buggy, unfinished mess. 

But yes, I am disappointed that all the games I'm looking forward to are coming out next year. February is a long time away. Oh well, at least I have a backlog of titles I need to complete. 2022 is looking kinda dry though not gonna lie.

Oh man, I'm so excited for this game. February 10th, 2023 can't come soon enough! Just pre-ordered the The Art and Making of Hogwarts Legacy: Exploring the Unwritten Wizarding World book and I hope they deliver an unforgettable experience. I hope they deliver the Harry Potter game everyone dreamt of since being a kid. The original PS1 games were amazing but this should be on a whole different level!

It's still such a shame it couldn't make it in time for Holiday this year (but please, make this the best possible experience so please, delay it into Holiday 2023 for all I care I just want this to be a masterpiece without any bugs!). Just imagine playing this during the Christmas Holidays when it's snowing outside and everything is silent outside and dark ...

Edited by Emmi

• 3 weeks later...

They've certainly done Hogwarts justice - it looks absolutely stunning.

2 hours ago, Emmi said:

Sadly no playable Quidditch. That's a bummer!

Might just be me remembering wrong - but didn't we conclude this six months ago after the State of Play trailer? I recall there being a lot of discussion, and the general consensus being that they would've shown it if it was in the game? (Edit: I just realized that this very discussion is at the top of this page, haha.)

The way they worded it in that trailer made it quite clear that Quidditch wasn't part of the plan - "Learning and mastering broom flight is highly recommended - so that you may travel around the world more quickly. And compete in Quidditch tournaments!".

I can see Quidditch being an absolute b*tch to make feel and play fun. That sort of movement and 360 degree field is tough, it's why zero grav space shooters were always a fun experiment that no one really played beyond a few hours, it's just too much.

• Like 2