• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sivispacem

• yoječ

• DEALUX

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's tough to buy a new GPU for a good price these days but I've managed to score a decent deal, 16 megs should last me for years   (jk)  

Just bought a second hand Lian Li case.   Absolutely no idea what I'd need it for, but I like it already  

My rig has been down since March/April and I'm finally getting around to taking care of business.  At first I thought it might be the sata controller on my mobo failing somehow.     I didn't

I have absolutely no need for a GTX970 but I bloody well want one. Absolutely phenomenal value for money. Think I'll wait for the custom PCB variants to be released though.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Asus X99 board added to their list.

Asus X99 Pro

350m3r7.jpg

Others that look similar

Asus X99 Deluxe

wuggg7.jpg

Asus X99-S

2ik8wmu.jpg

What's the difference?

Deluxe: 2x lan+wifi/large vrm+I/O heatsink connected via heatpipe. Large PCH and heatsink below CPU socket connected via heatpipe.2/3-way SLI/CFX switch, 10x USB3.0 at rear.

-S: Same as Deluxe, except 1x Lan, No wifi, and 8 USB 3.0 at rear.

Pro: 1x Lan+Wifi, smaller vrm+I/O heatink no heatpipe. Smaller PCH and heatsink below CPU socket conntected via heatpipe, NO SLI/CFX switch, generic pwr+rst swtiches, 6x USB 3.0 at rear, KB+MS PS/2 combo port.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome! But why no Deluxe? The Pro is now available on some sites.

I didn't feel like I needed the extra features of the DELUXE (Wi-fi module, extra USB ports, etc.), certainly not at an extra €90. :)

My friend got that mobo the other week. Turned out it worked for 1 day and then stopped working. Took an entire week for a replacement to come. Gets it back, then finds out one of his CPU mount things, I can't remember the name - the gold sticks haha, is bent. Bless him.

My friend got that mobo the other week. Turned out it worked for 1 day and then stopped working. Took an entire week for a replacement to come. Gets it back, then finds out one of his CPU mount things, I can't remember the name - the gold sticks haha, is bent. Bless him.

[email protected] Bless him

hahaa

I have a fine gaming pc, which you can find in my sig. Sadly, I think this one starts to near its end.

Could you guys list some setups that have the relative equal power for nowadays games? It's 3 years old now, so keep that in mind when looking at its power. The price has to be kept under 1000 euro's, if possible a bit lower. The site I bought the current computer through: alternate.nl

Thanks in advance :)

Honestly, I think you'd be best off overclocking the CPU and replacing the GPU. It'd make a huge difference with relatively low spend. There isn't really a need to change the whole PC yet.

You'd be better waiting until after Christmas, probably by end of Jan since they are releasing new chips so you'd pick up an i7 for cheap or get the new ones. Honestly though, if its fine playing the games you can throw at it I'd stick with it or just get yourself some new RAM and maybe an SSD to tide you over until the new year.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I think I'll save for a new GPU then, maybe a new HDD too (I find SSD's unneeded).

What GPU should I replace it with, if I would replace my HD6950? I believe I can't buy GTX600 or above, because those need PCIe 3.0 and my mobo has 2.0.

What's up with that?

Also, I don't really want to overclock my i5 - I can't do that myself, and I don't know anybody who can...

Edited by Exxon

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I think I'll save for a new GPU then, maybe a new HDD too (I find SSD's unneeded).

What GPU should I replace it with, if I would replace my HD6950? I believe I can't buy GTX600 or above, because those need PCIe 3.0 and my mobo has 2.0.

What's up with that?

Also, I don't really want to overclock my i5 - I can't do that myself, and I don't know anybody who can...

There are pretty good guides online.

After some research just mess with the multipliers a bit and not voltage. Then stress test for stability and so on.

And you will need some decent cooling too. I know the ivy-bridges ran a bit hot but I'm not sure about sandy-bridges.

Edited by ARCTICvnc

All PCIe 3.0 cards are compatible with PCIe 2.0 boards. Most of them work even on PCIe 1.1a mobos.

I'd buy a GTX970 and wait for Intel Broadwell (or maybe even Skylake) to come out.

So if I'd buy a GTX 970 from Gigabyte (I love those triple vooler designs!), I wouldn't need anything other like a new PSU? Also, could you explain why PCIe 3.0 fits 2.0, without losing any performance?

By the way, I guess I've been hitting my PC too hard lately. I keep getting a BSoD every few minutes saying thay the video drivers couldn't reset in time. Is it really the GPU or is it maybe the HDD? And, if I'd buy a new HDD due to lack of space, how would I have to do that?

Sorry, vooler was meant to be cooler. I'm on mobile now, hence the double post.

Cards don't utilise all of the bandwidth that PCIe offers, presumably.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/21.html

Some of these figures are hardly believable, but all in all PCIe 2.0 16x has the same bandwidth as PCIe 3.0 8x, so there shouldn't be any major difference anyway.

If the video driver ceeps crashing, GPU is the most likely culprit, although it could be PSU as well. As for buying the HDD - not sure what is exactly the question, what's the problem?

Edited by yojo2

Oh haha, the question was: if I would buy a new HDD, how do I put it in the computer without screwing things up? I mean, with placement and the cables and such...

But, if I'd buy the GTX970 for my PCIe 2.0 mobo, the card will be just as strong compared a mobo with PCIe 3.0, right?

Now I think about it, I have a spare HD5450 to use. But I can't exactly rule out wether it's the GPU or PSU I think?

Well... no, but that at least would help to narrow the suspect list to these two components.

PCIe 3.0 card in 2.0 slot could work a tad slower, but the difference is so small that it's not noticeable in any way. Don't worry about it. I've had a GTX660 running on my PCIe 2.0 mobo for 1.5 years with no issues whatsoever.

As for the HDD, it isn't really rocket science, just check how is the current HDD mounted and hooked up to the mobo, and do the same with the new one. Easy. On a side note check if you have any SATA cables left (from what was included with the mobo), as HDDs do not come with any accesories.

Also the Gigabyte GTX970 is loooong

It probably won't fit in your case, measure it out and see if you can take cages out.

^^^^

From what I've read the Z4+ supports cards up to 11.4" but the Gigabyte card is more than 12".

Wow, you're right, it's quite long. I actually thought my TF2 was already long with 275mm, but the Gigabyte is 310mm ... I do have about 3.8/3.9mm space to the right side of it now, so it should fit just perfectly :p

I'm probably going to ask more soon, but thanks already guys!

First off, I'm guessing this topic would be appropriate for discussion in this thread. If it isn't, I could make a new thread specific to my questions/build. I did a quick look and didn't see any topics geared specifically for Q&A... Also, sorry for the rambling nature of my post; I'm not too sure what the best way to express my questions so I add stuff... As the post is long, I'm going to compact it behind a spoiler tag.

So I'm required to get a new computer within a month or two mainly for work (data analysis and computation; mainly 2D CAD stuff w/ some basic 3D models), but as it's going to be stored at home, I plan on doing a bit of some gaming (GTA:V, Civ:BE, SimCity (2013), Sims 4...). I plan on using the computer for years (4~6+) and plan to Overclock later on (~3yrs) to keep up with advances/requirements and (if possible) add/upgrade/OC ram around the same time. As for price, I would estimate my price limit at $4000 (yay saving for the past 4 years!), but I don't feel that spending over ~$3000 is going to be worth it and would like to keep my costs reasonable.

As I can't push the buy-date further along (such as to wait for Skylake to come out or more info on recent releases), I have a a bunch of questions about the current equipment.

• Is it worth it (future-proofing mainly) to go with a LGA 2011-3 based setup over a LGA-1150? I know that 2011-3 has support for DDR4 which is supposed to be the next step for RAM and as such should become cheaper/better in the coming years so I'm mainly focused on that specification. Is there any point to go with a 1150 aside from price?
    • I have heard of some issues with 2011-3 Motherboards, but they seem to stem from use that I don't expect to do or because they were pre-production models. Even though they are a new "upgrade", would it be correct to assume that they could see 4+ years of (non-OC) use?

I guess it would be best to show the two setups I'm looking at now.

The first is a "low-end" 2011-3/X99 system. I went primarily with base 2011-3 stuff and what I've been told is a reasonably decent video card. I prefer air cooling everything (just seems like less worry), so I chose a case with good airflow and extra fan space.

PCPartPicker part list
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Boot/Main Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
RAID Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 4GB ROG Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Total: $2265.43 (I edited out some extras like Monitors)

The next is a "higher end" 2011-3 setup. I went with water cooling for the CPU, mainly for space saving; I have though about using a Cooler Master Hyper D92 instead.

PCPartPicker part list
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Boot/Main Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
RAID Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Total: $2995.38 (I edited out some extras like Monitors)

So, I guess the primary question is, for future-proofing and the like, is it worth spending an extra ~$700 for higher-end components?

What about parts manufacturers? I've heard that the ones I've chosen are top-of-the-line and the parts I do have from them are of good quality.

For the Graphics card, is it worth another ~100$ to go from a GTX 760 to GTX 970?

I must greatly thank anyone who helps me out. I've pretty much been paralyzed with indecision on this as I know it's going to be a significant investment and don't want to mess it up (did once before, wasn't pretty...).

If you're getting PC mainly for work and the software you use can utilise the extra cores, then LGA2011-3 actually makes some sense. However, I can't see any point in paying extra for the i7-5930k - i7-5820k seems like the way to go.

I don't think the CM 212 Evo will be enough to cool overclocked beast, you need a top-notch air cooler like eg. Phanteks PH-TC14PE. Or a top-notch AiO water cooler, though they aren't that impressive for the money.

I assume you're getting the HDD mainly for storage, so it would make more sense to go for something like WD WD10EZEX or Seagate ST1000DM003 - lower price, better linear read/write speed, worse random access time - but that should be the problem, as (I presume), you'll be mainly using the SSD. By the way, maybe it'd be a good idea to get a higher-end SSD, like 840 Pro or Plextor M6P.

760W is a big overkill for the first rig, and 860W is an even bigger overkill for the second rig. Even 550W would suffice with power to spare after OC, bear that in mind when choosing a PSU ;)

If you're getting PC mainly for work and the software you use can utilise the extra cores, then LGA2011-3 actually makes some sense. However, I can't see any point in paying extra for the i7-5930k - i7-5820k seems like the way to go.

I don't think the CM 212 Evo will be enough to cool overclocked beast, you need a top-notch air cooler like eg. Phanteks PH-TC14PE. Or a top-notch AiO water cooler, though they aren't that impressive for the money.

I assume you're getting the HDD mainly for storage, so it would make more sense to go for something like WD WD10EZEX or Seagate ST1000DM003 - lower price, better linear read/write speed, worse random access time - but that should be the problem, as (I presume), you'll be mainly using the SSD. By the way, maybe it'd be a good idea to get a higher-end SSD, like 840 Pro or Plextor M6P.

760W is a big overkill for the first rig, and 860W is an even bigger overkill for the second rig. Even 550W would suffice with power to spare after OC, bear that in mind when choosing a PSU ;)

What can I say... Thanks for everything; a quick reply, parts I haven't thought of/looked at and some great advice.

Yea, I used some more PCIe stuff when I was originally designing it, so I figured 40 PCIe lanes would be better than 28.

The Phanteks air-cooler looks like a wonderful model, but there seems to be a minor issue with the bottom 3~4 fins possibly being obstructed by the RAM. I did do a quick check and my RAM should be ok... By any chance, have you heard anything about the CM Hyper D92? It looks like a reasonable model for non-OC stuff, which I expect to do for a while.

Swapped to the Samsung 840 Pro. I upgraded the HDDs to 1TB models, but I prefer the longer warranty of the Black models.

I switched the PSU for a lower rated one; apparently my previous advisement was a bit off...

I've pretty much settled on this setup...

Again, thanks for all of your help. I just really needed some outside eyes to review what I've done and make sure I didn't miss anything important.

Have you considered picking one of the other Asus X99 boards (which shaves off about 100$), and going with a GTX 970 over the 760 (huge performance increase, and lower power consumption)? I couldn't find the X99-S via PartPicker, but they're out there. That's the one I went with, as I didn't need any of the few fancy features the DELUXE comes with. Opting for a 250GB SSD would also leave you with more cash to put into a better GPU.

The X99-S seems to be some sort of phantom board... No idea where you got yours (Good luck on the build!), but it looks like an Amazon-UK only product... As I don't have the time to wait for Brigadoon to come back or the cash to move there... Sorry, those sarcastic comments got to me...

I tried looking at the board on Asus's site, and even then I needed to go to the Global or UK sections to find it. From what I can gather, it is European-Only. A shame, but I'm fine with my current board.

I was just thinking about switching to the GTX 970... I can afford it but it seems to be out-of-stock quite a bit; guess a lot of people have the same idea...

Also, seeing as you're also using an X99 board, are you going to be doing a test of the RAM/components before you put everything together? If so, how are you going to get around the lack of visual output? Or I guess first test will be with the graphics card as well? Just one of those questions that are a quirk to this setup compared to others with integrated graphics...

Thanks for your comments/help.

CM Hyper D92 is a bad idea, it's a small heatsink with two small 92mm fans. It's neither very effective nor very quiet.

Also I've just realized that you went for a GTX760 with 4GB memory. That's pointless, unless you plan to play games on multiple monitors - but then the GTX760 is too weak to handle that anyway. In typical conditions you won't see any difference compared to 2GB card.

As for the PSU I'd suggest http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550bbefx- it uses higher grade components (japanese capacitors, etc.) and is cheaper too.

Edited by yojo2

Thanks for the comments!

I'll go with the Phanteks PH-TC14. Thanks for your input on that.

I'm thinking of going with a GTX970 now, mainly as it's a (to me, a relatively) minor price difference for some significantly better results.

That is a lovely PSU and I will definitely use it. For some reason, I seemed to be stuck in a fanless-PSU loop last night and just didn't know how to get out; seems like I should have just come here...

Thanks for all of your help!