• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yoječ

• sivispacem

• DEALUX

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's tough to buy a new GPU for a good price these days but I've managed to score a decent deal, 16 megs should last me for years   (jk)  

Just bought a second hand Lian Li case.   Absolutely no idea what I'd need it for, but I like it already  

My rig has been down since March/April and I'm finally getting around to taking care of business.  At first I thought it might be the sata controller on my mobo failing somehow.     I didn't

8 hours ago, DEALUX said:

What type of SSD would be best for gaming? Obviously the OS drive would be a good PCI-E SSD but would I see a difference in longevity or performance in games between a "cheap" 2 TB Samsung SATA-III SSD vs a Samsung PCI-E SSD for the secondary drive used for game storage?

For gaming use there's not a huge difference. I've had heavily modified Fallout 4 on both my PCI-E SSD (Samsung 970 Evo) and SATA SSD (Samsung 860 Evo) and seen zero difference in load time performance between the two even with ~70gb of texture packs.

Anyone got any recommendations for a double monitor arm? Will be a 22 and 23 once Scan get the AOC 22" in stock, would need something with height adjustment and preferably able to tilt the monitors upwards.

Why did stupid ass microsoft cancel my gold subscribtion after i reloaded their f*ckin site? I turned off auto billling or whatever the f*ck its name is then reloaded the f*ckin page and bam stupid ************************..... I tried talking to an agent but i couldnt, even if i did i highly doubt i’ll get my subscribtion back. I need help!!!!!

13 hours ago, Payne said:

Why did stupid ass microsoft cancel my gold subscribtion after i reloaded their f*ckin site? I turned off auto billling or whatever the f*ck its name is then reloaded the f*ckin page and bam stupid ************************..... I tried talking to an agent but i couldnt, even if i did i highly doubt i’ll get my subscribtion back. I need help!!!!!

Doesn't it expire at a fixed date regardless? It's probably still active but you will be billed again if you reactivate it now.

Thats the thing, it should expire at a specific date but it didn’t. I paid again and the agent claims i’ll get my stolen money back but i highly doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey...am I the only one around here who plays around with Raspberry Pi or other single board computers?  I'm thinking about starting a topic but only if it isn't DOA.

After I motivate I'll get some pics of my last project.  Nothing fancy - just a thermometer that uses pics of my dogs to represent the outside temp (and humidity)...naturally it displays the temp in text too...you don't just guess the temp based on the pic.  Ha. It has an admin tool for my wife to manage the photos and such.  It really just boils down to a digital picture frame that rolls through photos while displaying the temp.  That's what's always fun...things that look simple but in reality have a bunch of unseen moving parts.

But...screw that project.  My current project is where it's at.  "Live slot car racing" via the internet.  I hope to start early testing next week. 

I actually had to order 2 new slot cars...the ones I had around were sooooo old even the plastic degraded, and you should have seen the tires...dust tires.

Even though this is going to be all sorts of computer controlled it is going to remain very analog.  It will be using IOT(Inernet of things) for the racers to control a servo that controls the analog trigger of the car's accelerator.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:18 AM, trip said:

But...screw that project.  My current project is where it's at.  "Live slot car racing" via the internet.  I hope to start early testing next week. 

I actually had to order 2 new slot cars...the ones I had around were sooooo old even the plastic degraded, and you should have seen the tires...dust tires.

Even though this is going to be all sorts of computer controlled it is going to remain very analog.  It will be using IOT(Inernet of things) for the racers to control a servo that controls the analog trigger of the car's accelerator.

That's something I'd love to check out. Played a lot of slot cars as a kid! I think the last time I saw slot cars was at a mall in Missouri about 15 years ago.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:07 PM, Nappy said:

Thats the thing, it should expire at a specific date but it didn’t. I paid again and the agent claims i’ll get my stolen money back but i highly doubt it.

Xbox allows users to request a refund once a year but I've only done that for games and you have to go through customer service. Though I'd say that Xbox customer service is quite decent.

• 4 weeks later...

How many times is it now that we've seen announcements of the Adobe Flash kill off date, eventually for the date to pass and nothing happens? 

The whole Flash end date is turning into the likes of a local homewares store near me that has announced for the last 10 years their shutting down and never does.

I'm sure Google means it  but I'll believe both at this point when I see it happen. 

• Like 1

Anyone else subscribed to Real Engineering on YouTube? I find their/his content really well-informed and researched. Admittedly, I've only just started watching. Introduced by his video on Space X's Starlink

Here's a good one I watched today on 5G. 

• 1 month later...

RTX 3000 series specs have dropped, with some pretty hefty sounding performance jumps over the 2000 series and some surprisingly not terrible prices.

The RTX 3080 will be available in FE form at $699 (the same as its predecessor) and apparently offers double the performance at 4K in both ray-traced and non-ray-traced titles (putting it circa 70-80% above an RTX 2080Ti)

Does look a bit weird though:

kxU3aatFacJKZx7wzMNCeT-1200-80.jpg

I'm slightly disappointed at the lack of NVLink, not that you really need it with even a 3080. I've got a cavernous case precisely so I could run dual cards and now the most likely replacement for my existing RTX 2080 has no dual-GPU support.

Yeah but they've been phasing out SLI/NVLink for a bit now havent they? Only the 80 supported it in the 2000 series. They want people who usually double up to just go for the 90 this go around I guess.

@sivispacem Do you think the 10GB VRAM of the 3080 is going to be an issue going into next gen?

Also, Digital Foundry got hands on time with the 3080:

Edited by TheSpectre

That 3070 is gonna sell out in seconds probably. Do want.

• KEKW 1

9 hours ago, GTAJip said:

Does this mean the price of the 20 series, or even 10 series, will drop? I may be buying a new game PC soon. 

Second hand ones - yes, I think they may have dropped in price already. Brand new ones - not likely.

I have to say, I'm kinda amazed that nVidia didn't go all the way overboard with prices, they sound... reasonable? I'm still waiting for a 3060 or 3050 even, that'll be just enough for me.

10 hours ago, GTAJip said:

Does this mean the price of the 20 series, or even 10 series, will drop? I may be buying a new game PC soon. 

Yeah but not much I'd assume.

$500 for a 3070 that's more powerful than the $1000 2080ti.

You'd be far better off getting that 3070, even if the 20 series drop well below that.

41 minutes ago, yoječ said:

Second hand ones - yes, I think they may have dropped in price already. Brand new ones - not likely.

I have to say, I'm kinda amazed that nVidia didn't go all the way overboard with prices, they sound... reasonable? I'm still waiting for a 3060 or 3050 even, that'll be just enough for me.

I need to see what AMD is doing and their new RDNA 2 GPUS.

Alright great, thx for the info. So there will also be a 3060, I may be getting that one, I don't need that big of a graphics card. Hopefully it will come out somewhere this year. 

On 9/2/2020 at 7:55 PM, DEALUX said:

3070 is more powerful than a 2080 Ti based on CUDA core count. They just nuked the GPU market with this new series lol.

The pricing will most definitely work in their favor. I can see the 20xx series market tanking really soon. Anyone who's obsessed with CUDA cores and recently got a 2080Ti is really going to want to trade in. I for one am waiting to see if the 1600 series drops in price as well. Might be a good opportunity to upgrade from my RX 570. I'm already seeing 1070s and 1080s being sold for 1030 prices now.

Edited by Jimmy

On 9/8/2020 at 5:22 AM, Jimmy said:

The pricing will most definitely work in their favor. I can see the 20xx series market tanking really soon. Anyone who's obsessed with CUDA cores and recently got a 2080Ti is really going to want to trade in. I for one am waiting to see if the 1600 series drops in price as well. Might be a good opportunity to upgrade from my RX 570. I'm already seeing 1070s and 1080s being sold for 1030 prices now.

Some morons here tries to sell secondhand 2080Ti for €800 and even 900!

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I only majorly upgrade once in a blue moon, and never buy early on no matter how blue it is.

Waiting to see if Nvidia rushed to pre-empt the consoles mainly or if AMD actually have them worried. Fingers-crossed AMD manage to not f*ck up their launch, along with what I'd like generally i.e. "pull a Ryzen" or something.

Realistically tho, thinking I'll end up with a 3070s/ti to go with my first proper AMD CPU, their best-value 8-core of the new ones, maybe. Coming from a 1070 and 3770K. Staying at 1440p 144Hz for a few more years, holding for a 32-38" 4K 1XXHz OLED or whatever.

My rig has been down since March/April and I'm finally getting around to taking care of business.  At first I thought it might be the sata controller on my mobo failing somehow.  

I didn't want to go through the hassle of replacing a mobo.  Honest I was temoted to just get something (pre-built)off the shelf to get me back to a running state.

It looks like my whole issue was due to a sour drive.  

The problem now is I'm doing a full blown new install.   It takes days.  I only have install media for win 7.  I have to start with 7 then upgrade to 10.  Toss in all the updates, drivers, and base sh*t I "need"...days!

Totally excited to get my rig back.

E:

BONUS!

I lost 2x 2tb sata drives during my rig repairs.  Ouch.  But...but...no way...  we were just putting together a bed in our guest room.  I opened up a draw to a little table and there was a spanking fresh 2 tb drive just sitting there.  

Ee:

Love having my rig back.   Nothing beats a clean install either.

Edited by trip

Been agonising over my build a bit.

Gah, why does AMD so often make it so hard for me to get with them? Should've got a 3700X months ago or even now at 290USD, unsure.

5800X is too much damn money for my uses, and while the 5700X probably will be too, I can wait. 5600X? The idea of buying a 6-core gives me flashbacks to getting an E8400 over a Q6600 :*(, and it apparently has the cheaper Wraith Stealth instead of the Prism. Give it that and price drops and I'd get it, as it'd do me well for my timeline.

I ordered this MB for standby (delivery 5-8 November): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089FWXH3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this PSU: https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-850f14hg-850w/p/1HU-024C-00005?Item=9SIAMNPAY43503

My 3770K (1070, 16GB, Gigabyte MB, lots of HDDs & fans, TX850W) ain't really struggling, tho that PSU is old. It's approximately time for new shiny, and the build's easier as I'm keeping the TJ08B-E (way better quality than the alien's fridge I had before), Filco tenkeyless, Logitech G203, etc. A November-to-early-December window sounds good...but I might wait for Rocket Lake and see then on prices (might get a lowered 5900X or Intel equiv and be tight for 8+ years again). Or I may get the 5600X or not much more + sensible cooler and then upgrade to DDR5 when it's 2+ years mature, so 3-5 years from now maybe, a 10/12-core then, in time for the cross-platforms/ports to have hit their stride, and keep that build longer CPU/MB-wise.

Something like that