• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yoječ

• sivispacem

• DEALUX

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's tough to buy a new GPU for a good price these days but I've managed to score a decent deal, 16 megs should last me for years   (jk)  

Just bought a second hand Lian Li case.   Absolutely no idea what I'd need it for, but I like it already  

My rig has been down since March/April and I'm finally getting around to taking care of business.  At first I thought it might be the sata controller on my mobo failing somehow.     I didn't

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here know a cheap ITX motherboard and processor that will run VR? I just need it to have USB3.0 and Bluetooth. I haven't kept up with CPUs in a while. AMD or Intel works. I have no preference there.

ITX is a must, since I am using it to re-purpose my old LAN rig which I carry around a lot, and I don't want to switch it to a larger case.

4 hours ago, Noale said:

Anyone here know a cheap ITX motherboard and processor that will run VR? I just need it to have USB3.0 and Bluetooth. I haven't kept up with CPUs in a while. AMD or Intel works. I have no preference there.

ITX is a must, since I am using it to re-purpose my old LAN rig which I carry around a lot, and I don't want to switch it to a larger case.

How cheap are we taking? Gigabyte B360N WiFi or ASRock B360M-ITX/AC both have BT and USB3.0, they should be under $100.

I'd throw in something like a Kaby Lake i5 7500 as you don't need O/C for another $200 or so. 

I'll have my Phanteks case coming soon so am sourcing W/C bits for the build. Current plan is:

2x Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS (one front, one top) with (probably) Noctua, or possibly Corsair fans

EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM (undecided between Plexi and Acetal)

EK-RES X3 250, front radiator mounted

EKWB Supremacy Evo X99 (Plexi)

EVGA XC Hydro Copper RTX

Still in two minds as to whether to go soft tubing or hard line it.

@Noale, @HaRdSTyLe_83- what (if anything) did you guys use to plan your loop design before sourcing components?

Obviously want an idea of how everything is likely to fit together in terms of flow as that's going to dictate whether I go for standard or crossflow radiators and the like.

2 hours ago, sivispacem said:

How cheap are we taking? Gigabyte B360N WiFi or ASRock B360M-ITX/AC both have BT and USB3.0, they should be under $100.

I'd throw in something like a Kaby Lake i5 7500 as you don't need O/C for another $200 or so. 

As cheap as I can get away with. The rig itself is old (2500k), but it's in a new case, new PSU, new SSD, and I just bought a GTX 1070 Mini and Win 10 for it. So I've already sunk more into it than I wanted to, especially since I'll mainly only use it for one VR game (Beat Saber).

I spent more time researching, and I might be able to get away with keeping the 2500k if I update to a Z77/H77 chipset motherboard, since the 7 series chipset supports USB 3.0, and Bluetooth can be taken care of with the USB dongle I have. But it's such a pain in the ass to find a used Z77/H77 board in ITX that I might just go with your recommendations.

As for the whole loop thing.

@Azazel Would probably be good to ask as well.

I didn't use any tools or software to plan out any of my loops. I just mounted all of the hardware in their final positions, then figured out how I wanted the lines to look. I think a good place to start is to figure out if you want the fittings coming off the components to be straight or angled. Then buy two fittings for each component. Which is the minimum you're going to need. Once you have those initial fittings on, you can think about how to best run the lines from there.

edit: I'd just recommend the regular old straight fittings for each component. Use the 90 degree ones if you're cramped for space.

If you do need to get 90 degree fittings, Bitspower Rotary is one that I know of. (They basically screw into your block, and the head rotates around allowing you to run a tube in a variety of directions)

Edited by Noale

The BitsPower rotary stuff was fairly high up on the list of things I was planning on using, as I'm currently thinking about doing acrylic hard lines but without bends (just using the fittings to accomplish any turns instead)

21 hours ago, Noale said:

As for the whole loop thing.

@Azazel Would probably be good to ask as well.

I didn't use any tools or software to plan out any of my loops. I just mounted all of the hardware in their final positions, then figured out how I wanted the lines to look. I think a good place to start is to figure out if you want the fittings coming off the components to be straight or angled. Then buy two fittings for each component. Which is the minimum you're going to need. Once you have those initial fittings on, you can think about how to best run the lines from there.

That's also the procedure I've used in my builds. I'd recommend giving bending a go - it's fun, very rewarding when you get it right, and it looks a lot cleaner than the fitting-method. :)

On 1/1/2019 at 12:01 PM, sivispacem said:

what (if anything) did you guys use to plan your loop design before sourcing components?

Obviously want an idea of how everything is likely to fit together in terms of flow as that's going to dictate whether I go for standard or crossflow radiators and the like.

tbh after all blocks are in place, most of my planning goes to sh*t, i just have enough 90º/45º fittings right now to change things along the way

• Like 2

It begins...

23rsleq.jpg

1 hour ago, sivispacem said:

It begins...

Nice choice - love the design on the new blocks. Have fun building! :D

I was between that an a Supremacy Evo X99 in Acetal but they're out of stock on Amazon with no date for new stock.

Pretty much settled on Singularity over EKWB for res, pump and mounting.

And I'm going to at least give bending PETG a try!

That's the standard Evo, not the X99.

Also, I resent paying Scan's exorbitant delivery costs for one item.

And I can't use AmEx points to pay on Scan either.

^^ if im not mistaken any Evo work with x99, its just a matter of choosing the right insert/jet plate

DLY3fMc.jpg

On 1/5/2019 at 1:17 PM, sivispacem said:

Pretty much settled on Singularity over EKWB for res, pump and mounting. 

singularity computers are top notch, but my first pump top from singularity didn't last long 😛 ill update pictures of it when i get home

spoiler is rated 18+

Spoiler

72QuFAr.jpg

iihcylU.jpg

04ai2Fz.jpg

it started just as a small micro crack in one of the unthreaded holes made for the leds.

- no product touched it apart from destiled water + EK clear concentrate, mixed outside the loop the day before,

- the multiport is also acrylic+ frosted and no problem whatsoever

- first crack was around 1 week of use

- even after taking it apart it still kept cracking, the ones inside the outlet weren't there the last time i took it out of the drawer

apart from a picture nothing more was asked from PPCS or singularity and a replacement was shipped.

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

Wow, that's pretty shocking. Presumably they're acrylic stress fractures of some kind? Must be a manufacturing defect.

I'm using Acetal (POM) components for pump top, water block and pretty much anywhere else I can (GPU excepted). It's much tougher, more chemically and thermally resistant, and doesn't shatter in the same way.

The disadvantage, of course, is that it's not transparent, but my tubing, res and GPU block will be.

yeah, i also ended up replacing it with the acetal pump top, even if everything else is acrylic, just in case its something to do with the vibration of the pump.

you already bought the 90º fittings? the phanteks glacier look very cool

rqOQMKM.jpggqmNNK8.jpg

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

Well the velocity arrived today. Not fully unpacked it yet but the build quality looks incredible. Need to swap the jet plate over but that can wait until the weekend.

@HaRdSTyLe_83 I've not yet started sourcing fittings. I had been thinking EKWB HDC in black, and using their angled fittings. The Glacier stuff does look really nice, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I had some pretty meh feelings towards 3D printing before, preferring traditional CNC milling. Though after getting a printer myself, I'm all for it. The possibilities are amazing.

fhyRT4P.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got my Gram XS, unfortunately in a non-US layout (Amazon doesn't ship it here) but that's how much I wanted it. The switches are amazing despite the slightly odd typing experience, but let's face it, you'd buy this for the looks primarily.

aorsLqi.png

Edit: Complete gear set-up.

Spoiler

RSeGB3y.png

Edited by DEALUX
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 11:24 AM, DEALUX said:

RSeGB3y.png

I've just bought an M65 ELITE RGB on a whim as a replacement for an original non-RGB M65 I've had a couple of years that's getting a bit long in the tooth.

I was expecting it to be basically the same just colourful, but holy sh*t I'm super impressed with it. They've basically rectified all my minor quibbles with the M65, from nicer glide pads to placement of the FPS button (you no longer have to drag your thumb up to reach it).

IMG-20190603-202018.jpg

Only gripe is the scroll is a bit noisy and the software a bit crap.

It's pretty cheap honestly for the overall quality. About as expensive as the Redragon I was using previously and that one really did feel like cheap Chinese gear. The M65 feels more premium in the hand and more responsive.

Edited by DEALUX

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone here confirm if I'd need to reinstall my copy of Windows 10 if I switch out my CPU and motherboard? I'm on a 5820k and X99 board, so the replacement will be a different socket.

And because Windows is tied to your mobo's hardware ID.

Speaking of CPUs/mobos though, anyone upgrading to 3rd gen Ryzen/x570?

Not yet, but I think I might finally replace my old trusty Xeon X3440 rig. I'll miss it, but the time has come I suppose. I might wait just a tad longer for the availability and prices to settle, and hopefully there'll be some deals on Black Friday.

Edited by yoječ

I'm contemplating Gen 3 ThreadRipper, but most of my upgrade planning has been postponed due to various bits of house related expenditure.