3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Where's Joey and Luigi?

NewGuybj

I wonder, why Luigi and Joey doesn't appear in this game? Luigi I can understand, cus I think Vincenzo is kinda his replacement. But why Joey is not seen? He's Salvatore's son. Despite small mention, he's not in the game. I don't get it.

ThatBenGuy

I think it’s because LCS takes place before III. Who knows? Maybe Luigi hasn’t joined the Leone crime family yet. However, I agree that it’s kinda ridiculous how Joey doesn’t appear in the game.

SanLiberty

Off-topic, but does anyone know why I'm getting notifications on threads like this when I've never even seen this thread?

• Like 1
AmigaMix

Rehiring their voice actors (especially Joe Pantoliano) for a small release like LCS probably would have dwarfed its profit margin.

• Like 3
~Tiger~
1 hour ago, SanLiberty said:

Off-topic, but does anyone know why I'm getting notifications on threads like this when I've never even seen this thread?

There seems to be a bug going around. Please have a look at This Topic.

• Like 1
Fake Lilina
6 hours ago, SanLiberty said:

Same here.

• Like 1
Mr. Galloway

Maybe R* didn't know what to do with their characters.

Joey was probably minding his business at the autoshop in Trenton; as for Luigi, he was directing his Sex Club 7 after Paulie's bar got a "management change"...

If a previous game introduces new characters it doesn't mean that it's successor is forced to introduce them again. Honestly, they were minor characters in III, and in LCS they simply didn't have a place in it's storyline to reintroduce them again. That's all.

HOW'S ANNIE?
On 8/14/2020 at 4:47 AM, AmigaMix said:

Rehiring their voice actors (especially Joe Pantoliano) for a small release like LCS probably would have dwarfed its profit margin.

This in a nutshell. Notice how pretty much every character from GTA III who reappears in LCS (except for Salvatore) is recast? Even Toni Cipriani himself is recast! They went quite cheap on this game's voice cast.

Edited by HOW'S ANNIE?
  • Like 3
slimeball supreme

Because it's not really a very good prequel. Maybe it was set too late or maybe a lot of things. Toni is essentially a completely different character in appearance and personality. Massive changes that would take place over years in turf and gang relations are cut down in the span of literally like a month. They blow up an entire neighborhood so they can explain why the construction site is so big. References to GTA 3 are scattershot: sometimes they're only vaguely referential (Donald Love owns the cartel mansion from the end of 3, JD O'Toole runs what becomes Sex Club 7 without any reference to Luigi, etc) or otherwise totally unexplained.

The Stories games just aren't very cohesive and are kind of just lamely plotted. They're selective about they choose to reference and other things are just completely ignored or changed for no real reason except convenience (or in the case of returning characters maybe budget)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Bartleby
On 8/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, slimeball supreme said:

Toni is essentially a completely different character in appearance and personality.

This is where I think they really missed the mark - Luigi would make so much more sense in this role, since Toni is older, fatter and very sedentary in GTA3. You don't get the sense from him at all that just 3 years earlier he was running all over town blowing sh*t up.

That goes doubly so for Salvatore, to the point that it just seems comical that a Don does things paid goons are supposed to do. Salvatore should've been protected a lot more from a narrative standpoint, with his actions in the story divvied up between Joey and Toni.

• Like 3
StraightouttaNewport

Tony was actually pretty active in 3 though. Really look at his actual cutscenes, he's only in 2 of them and in the others he's off doing... something. What that something is, is debatable but given one of Ma's lines in one of them "Toni's off trying to make people bleed or trying to" points to him doing well a lot of the same stuff he did in LCS, fighting gangwars, doing hits and what not. I imagine that's why Rockstar made him the protagonist, he's one of the only bosses in 3 who actually seems like he'd get involved in the action.  

Salvatore getting so involved in things was pretty silly though, I can agree with that. At least show a couple of bodyguards with him. 

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 9:08 AM, StraightouttaNewport said:

Tony was actually pretty active in 3 though. Really look at his actual cutscenes, he's only in 2 of them and in the others he's off doing... something. What that something is, is debatable but given one of Ma's lines in one of them "Toni's off trying to make people bleed or trying to" points to him doing well a lot of the same stuff he did in LCS, fighting gangwars, doing hits and what not. I imagine that's why Rockstar made him the protagonist, he's one of the only bosses in 3 who actually seems like he'd get involved in the action.  

Salvatore getting so involved in things was pretty silly though, I can agree with that. At least show a couple of bodyguards with him. 

^

This, would've been very evident of his 'active' well- being even in a game where he isn't the protagonist, and coupled with his lack of paronoia, and the fact that he is Sal's most trusted capo; makes him a great fit for reprising a protagonist role. 

P.s. Danny M is my favorite voice actor in GTAfranchise, and I'm glad he did more than just also voicing an ammunation clerk in SA.