The Legendary Animals Thread

ALifeOfMisery

19 minutes ago, Big TIme McGill said:

It's true there is no pelt quality, however I learned the hard way that if you use explosive ammo, you will damage the pelt and won't be able to skin the animal.  I thought I was so smart taking out the Katata Elk with explosive rounds from my Lancaster but when he died it wouldn't let me skin him.  I had forgotten about this as it's the same in Story mode.

Did explosive rounds take it down in one shot? If not I wonder whether we could do some big damage by hitting them with one explosive round then switch to non explosives to finish them off?

I'm thinking especially about the Panthers that are coming up, getting a head start, so to speak, would potentially be a big advantage of possible.

@AdamNortonUK, do you have any information regarding this?

3 hours ago, Big TIme McGill said:

It's true there is no pelt quality, however I learned the hard way that if you use explosive ammo, you will damage the pelt and won't be able to skin the animal.  I thought I was so smart taking out the Katata Elk with explosive rounds from my Lancaster but when he died it wouldn't let me skin him.  I had forgotten about this as it's the same in Story mode.

Maybe I got lucky in my Story mode playthoughs, but I had no problems using explosive ammo on Legendary animals, I was able to skin them.

I haven't even tried to use explosive ammo on LA's in RDO which is clearly a good thing.

Big TIme McGill

@ALifeOfMisery No, it didn't take it down with one shot.  I believe I hit the Katata Elk with two or three explosive rounds, and then used regular rounds to finish it off.  I got the kill but when I went to skin it, it said that using explosive rounds damages the pelt.  If someone wants to try starting with one explosive round and then using regular the rest of the way and see if it works, that would be appreciated.  It just might be the only way I'll ever kill that damn Sapa cougar.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Big TIme McGill said:

@ALifeOfMisery No, it didn't take it down with one shot.  I believe I hit the Katata Elk with two or three explosive rounds, and then used regular rounds to finish it off.  I got the kill but when I went to skin it, it said that using explosive rounds damages the pelt.  If someone wants to try starting with one explosive round and then using regular the rest of the way and see if it works, that would be appreciated.  It just might be the only way I'll ever kill that damn Sapa cougar.

Thanks for the info, I'll probably give it a try on the next LA I come across.

As for the Sapa, use roofs or big rocks as high ground, it can't get to you, once you've shot it a couple of times it will run, quickly get down and chase it untill you grab it's attention again, then head for more high ground, hopefully you'll have climb before it kills you, rinse and repeat. That's how I killed and sampled it.

Thanks to the notes in this topic, I finally found the Teca Gator in free roam yesterday, but soon after sedating it I got bucked and quickly mauled by the gator's posse. But sedation was good enough as I already had the sample from an FRE - so, mission accomplished, I guess. Next time I think I'll try to stick to deep water until the chasers are dead; I don't think my horse can buck while swimming. It worked for the Sun Gator anyway. And my horse didn't have much trouble out-swimming the chasers enough to group them together for dynamite attacks.

Bridges, rails and deep water have often provided good barriers against attacking LAs - basically playing pathing games with the bot, making it find and rethink the shortest path. Rivers can be problematic though. I lost a sedated wolf when it washed down a narrow canyon and recovered before I could get my horse back.

2 hours ago, OrionSR said:

Thanks to the notes in this topic, I finally found the Teca Gator in free roam yesterday, but soon after sedating it I got bucked and quickly mauled by the gator's posse. But sedation was good enough as I already had the sample from an FRE - so, mission accomplished, I guess. Next time I think I'll try to stick to deep water until the chasers are dead; I don't think my horse can buck while swimming. It worked for the Sun Gator anyway. And my horse didn't have much trouble out-swimming the chasers enough to group them together for dynamite attacks.

Bridges, rails and deep water have often provided good barriers against attacking LAs - basically playing pathing games with the bot, making it find and rethink the shortest path. Rivers can be problematic though. I lost a sedated wolf when it washed down a narrow canyon and recovered before I could get my horse back.

With the gators, especially the Teka (the Sun does this a bit) I tend to stay back, and snipe it (I use the Carcano for all the LA's pretty much) and with the Teka in particular it tends to come straight at me. It gives me time to shoot his posse of highly agitated luggage with a taste for humans. If I want to take a sample I then swap to the silly popgun and spam shots as it charges.

The Sun Gator tends to swim away initially, but if you snipe it a fair bit it often turns round and charges, again its friends will charge at me at some point and I don't skin or sample until I've blown their toothy heads off.

I rarely chase them through the water and I've killed and sampled both a few times each on the 72 hour cooldown. Be aware if you sedate either in deep water where you can't sample and then lasso drag them, dismount before you drag, I've killed them while sedated by dragging on horse too much.

Tuesday - Don't know if PS4 got anything, but today on PC the Fossils collections were added PLUS the Rams. Just got the Gabbro, I'll take frequent looks for the other one, but I don't expect to find it until the 72 RL hour cooldown is up. Never know unless it's tested and maybe release day is different.

I'm either having awful luck on the Chalk Horn Ram spawn and the Gabbro respawn or the 72 hour cooldown appears to be in effect, I can't find either, will keep on checking over the next few days.

Jeanproke map was, as always, a huge help in finding it.

Harriet also has the Rutile Horn Ram mission, which was a bit unexpected, I assumed they would save that for another week of drip feed. Unshockingly the mission is also bugged, 1st try I got the infinite loading issue which seems to appear every so often. Could hear that I'd loaded in, the usual holstering guns and horse sounds, but the screen remained black. Of course after restart the mission isn't on her list so I'll have to keep on visiting the vegan ratbag until it appears, I hate that woman.

Edited by CowboyTyke
Speeelung

Big TIme McGill

The Rams have been added to Xbox, along with the fossils.  Spent about an hour scouring for the Gabbro but he didn't appear, however they are now listed in my compendium so I know they are available.  Because of the 72 hour cool down (which in my case seems to go longer), I won't be doing the poacher mission for the Rutile Horn until I find at least one of the other rams.

Will pack a coat and make my way to Ambarino later today.

6 minutes ago, Big TIme McGill said:

The Rams have been added to Xbox, along with the fossils.  Spent about an hour scouring for the Gabbro but he didn't appear, however they are now listed in my compendium so I know they are available.  Because of the 72 hour cool down (which in my case seems to go longer), I won't be doing the poacher mission for the Rutile Horn until I find at least one of the other rams.

Will pack a coat and make my way to Ambarino later today.

I found the Gabbro near Rio Del Lobo Rock, pretty much on top of the mark there on the jeanproke map, I find that very accurate. 

Having searched for the Chalk Horn on and off for the last 8 hours I'm fairly certain that the 72 hour cooldown is in action, at least for me, the Gabbro hasn't respawned either which is another indicator to me. I've also reconfirmed that the free roam LA's have a 48 minute cooldown (for me anyway) as the Onyx Wolf popped up at 48 mins having been in the area for the 15 minutes prior and after I'd got the Ota Fox, exactly the same way the Teka popped after I'd got another LA 48 mins earlier. Solo sessions so no chance of other people spawning them or screwing me up.

Big TIme McGill

Since your (legendary) post about the LA cool downs, I've observed the following.  I'm playing on Xbox so this is what I've observed:

• The 48 min cool down after encountering any LA seems legit.  I have not encountered any variance to this.
  • There is definitely a long species wide cool down after any LA encounter.  However for me, it is AT LEAST 72 hours and often longer.  This is annoying.
  • In addition, I have on multiple occasions gone several days without encountering ANY LA's in free roam, regardless of going to the appropriate time, location and weather.  I literally nearly gave up playing a few weeks ago after going six days without seeing a single LA in free roam.
  • Conversely, last Thursday I had my best day ever where I encountered four LA's in free roam over different sessions (Maza Cougar, Snow Buck, Wakpa Boar and Winyan Bison).
  • I've been tracking dates and times of animals and species to avoid time wasting, and have not encountered a wolf in over a week.  I was delivering moonshine by O'Creagh's and a question mark appeared for the Emerald Wolf.  It did NOT turn into a paw, which theoretically means I did not activate the species cooldown.  Nevertheless, no Wolves have been anywhere to be found for the last two days so I'm definitely in a species cooldown.
  • Regardless of the LA, my horse is a coward and bucks me even when the animal attacks me with its cuteness (looking at you Zizi Beaver).
  • There are some animals I have never spawned despite going at appropriate times.  At this point, I'm choosing to believe that the Mud Runner Buck, Moon Beaver and the Iguga Cougar are mythological.  MYTHOLOGICAL I SAY!!!

On a side note, I'm a hilariously bad shot at free aim so I've more or less given up on the Sapa Cougar.  You win, Sapa Cougar.  Just take my life and be done with it.

Big TIme McGill

Got the Chalk Horn ram, then immediately went to do the Rutile horn ram.  Completed the mission, getting the photo and sample, but the compendium only gave me credit for study and tracking.  I literally turned in the sample to Crazy Harriot and  now have a stampe on the Rutile Ram but no credit for sedation and sample.  How is this even possible??

4 hours ago, Big TIme McGill said:

Since your (legendary) post about the LA cool downs, I've observed the following.  I'm playing on Xbox so this is what I've observed:

• The 48 min cool down after encountering any LA seems legit.  I have not encountered any variance to this.
  • There is definitely a long species wide cool down after any LA encounter.  However for me, it is AT LEAST 72 hours and often longer.  This is annoying.
  • In addition, I have on multiple occasions gone several days without encountering ANY LA's in free roam, regardless of going to the appropriate time, location and weather.  I literally nearly gave up playing a few weeks ago after going six days without seeing a single LA in free roam.
  • Conversely, last Thursday I had my best day ever where I encountered four LA's in free roam over different sessions (Maza Cougar, Snow Buck, Wakpa Boar and Winyan Bison).
  • I've been tracking dates and times of animals and species to avoid time wasting, and have not encountered a wolf in over a week.  I was delivering moonshine by O'Creagh's and a question mark appeared for the Emerald Wolf.  It did NOT turn into a paw, which theoretically means I did not activate the species cooldown.  Nevertheless, no Wolves have been anywhere to be found for the last two days so I'm definitely in a species cooldown.
  • Regardless of the LA, my horse is a coward and bucks me even when the animal attacks me with its cuteness (looking at you Zizi Beaver).
  • There are some animals I have never spawned despite going at appropriate times.  At this point, I'm choosing to believe that the Mud Runner Buck, Moon Beaver and the Iguga Cougar are mythological.  MYTHOLOGICAL I SAY!!!

On a side note, I'm a hilariously bad shot at free aim so I've more or less given up on the Sapa Cougar.  You win, Sapa Cougar.  Just take my life and be done with it.

I've been trying quite hard to disprove the 72 hour and 48 minute theories, but I can't, I keep getting things spawn at 48 minutes and if I time it carefully to be in an area (Teka is the best for this as it's a damn small spawn zone, but others work) 30-45 mins before the 72 hour cooldown is up I've seen the ? appear at the 72 hour mark. That being said if there's a random event like a Moonshiner or Hideout up nearby it blocks the spawn which will appear as soon as the random is cleared.

I may have made a mistake on the assertion of ? to a paw being a hard and fast indicator as the other day I deliberately ignored a boar ? as I had to log off shortly and was grabbing a couple of collectibles for a daily and I must have got close enough to activate the boar, it stayed as a ? but I got the message it had escaped as I was riding away, I'm certain it enabled the cooldown too.

I use either the Criollo or Gypsy Cob as my usual horses, they're usually both very brave, but LA's frequently cause them to buck me, I do try to snipe at some range if practical with the Carcano which helps avoid being bucked.

I hate to rub it in, but I've found all three you've never been able to locate repeatedly. Igua is often not very far from the windmill and it's downright grumpy unless you kill it pronto, Mud Runner is definitely often blocked by the wagon circle defence random event by the tree with bottles or the woman with the dead horse by the road ambush and Moon beaver I've always found a bit away from the water chewing a tree.

I only play on PC and I've no free aim issue as I have no auto aim for anything, the cougars are decidedly deadly though and the Igua climbs rocks, last time I killed it I climbed the windmill as it had chased me there and I blew it's furry bonce off with Italian 6.5 express rounds.

Edited by CowboyTyke

Big TIme McGill

Finally came across the Moon Beaver for the first time ever by the Elysian pool yesterday.  As I made my approach, sure enough my cowardly horse bucked at the site of two TERRIFYING beavers.  I killed the beavers but the Moon beaver jumped in the river and either drowned or sank because he immediately disappeared and I got the notice to come back some other time.  Didn't even get one entry in my animal field guide!  After searching for this clown for a month the whole encounter lasted 20 seconds and now I have to wait three days to try again.  SO FRUSTRATING!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big TIme McGill said:

Finally came across the Moon Beaver for the first time ever by the Elysian pool yesterday.  As I made my approach, sure enough my cowardly horse bucked at the site of two TERRIFYING beavers.  I killed the beavers but the Moon beaver jumped in the river and either drowned or sank because he immediately disappeared and I got the notice to come back some other time.  Didn't even get one entry in my animal field guide!  After searching for this clown for a month the whole encounter lasted 20 seconds and now I have to wait three days to try again.  SO FRUSTRATING!

That's damn annoying. I hate the whole 72 hour cooldown thing, I wish I could prove the theory wrong, but I can't.

That said I was chasing the Igua yesterday, it ran off at speed after I shot it a few times, got dismounted and the message that it had escaped, but I still had it tracked and after a fair bit of chasing I caught and killed it. The message is either buggy or just a bit crap.

The Moon Beaver can dive for quite a while and pop up a bit of a distance away so it can be worth hanging around and searching some more if that happens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big TIme McGill said:

I got the Moon Beaver while doing a Moonshine delivery to Van Horn.

Cowardly horses have cost me a couple of legendaries his week, Maza cougar I got bucked when it had its back to me and then when chasing it down, it got scared of a rock the size of a fist. Lost the Winyan bison when it refused to dodge the guard bison and instead bucked me and I got trampled to death! 

StandardDonkey

I was just in Colter picking up the Caribbean rum, and ran across the Marble Fox. Killed it, threw it in the hunting wagon, and got disconnected about 10 seconds later. Loaded back up via "Free Roam" spawning me in the same area (because i didn't get my rum), and Mr. Marbles was there again, and I got it again. So now I've gotten 2 Marbles within about 10 minutes. 

So naturally, I threw it in the wagon, waited a few seconds, and closed out the game, trying to get it a 3rd time. No luck. Wouldn't spawn again. 

Just putting it out there, that maybe you can fill your wagon with Legendary clones by forcing a disconnect or something similar... If one were so inclined to do such a dastardly deed. 

Big TIme McGill

The Animal Field Guide is bugged.  Did the Shadow Buck mission and killed him right and proper.  Skinned him to end the mission, then rode for five minutes to Gus to sell him the skin.  Checked the animal guide and I have not been given credit for the skin!  So now I have to do this mission again, which is annoying considering how many times I needed to shoot the Shadow Buck.

Similar thing happened with the Rutile Horn Ram.  Sampled the beast, sold it to Harriet and now I have a stamp in the Animal guide, but it says I still need to sedate and sample the animal!

My plan of sticking to deep water while going after the Teca Gator work as I hoped. My horse didn't buck me off and could safely out-swim the attack.

Also, when I started to approach I killed a few gators that were close to me but far from the ? so there wasn't any random gators near the Teca when I started my attack. Only one other gator joined the attack as a chaser but it was far away and gave up the chase once the Teca was dead. 

4 hours ago, Big TIme McGill said:

The Animal Field Guide is bugged.  Did the Shadow Buck mission and killed him right and proper.  Skinned him to end the mission, then rode for five minutes to Gus to sell him the skin.  Checked the animal guide and I have not been given credit for the skin!  So now I have to do this mission again, which is annoying considering how many times I needed to shoot the Shadow Buck.

Similar thing happened with the Rutile Horn Ram.  Sampled the beast, sold it to Harriet and now I have a stamp in the Animal guide, but it says I still need to sedate and sample the animal!

Indeed, it's another of the Rockstar bugs, I've had a variety of those on the daily challenges where things don't count even though they have on other occasions, I suspect their patch QC process is at best poor (don't even think about the quality of their Ticket Support staff which is mostly automated bots), which is a great pity as the game is a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, OrionSR said:

My plan of sticking to deep water while going after the Teca Gator work as I hoped. My horse didn't buck me off and could safely out-swim the attack.

Also, when I started to approach I killed a few gators that were close to me but far from the ? so there wasn't any random gators near the Teca when I started my attack. Only one other gator joined the attack as a chaser but it was far away and gave up the chase once the Teca was dead. 

Cool stuff. I got it yesterday and led it to the railtracks, his 4 buddies came after me before he did and they became luggage, then he charged straight into my fire, was a bit unsporting of me really as I was stood on the tracks :)

Edited by CowboyTyke

Big TIme McGill

I got the Teca just outside of St. Denis today.  Mostly used by Carcano and just sniped away to soften him up.  Only got killed once when two of his buddies tag teamed out of nowhere and took me out.  I did get bucked off at one point but basically ran out to his islands and shot a few times before going for a run.  He's a slow enough you can outrun him by moving from small island to island.

Leftover Pizza

Ran into the Teca gator on my #2 character, at daytime. Super surprised how that lowkey Arabian held up, even with the Teca gator almost touching it and that the horse didn't run into trees or bushes at all. It performed superb.

Edited by Leftover Pizza
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, aaron2997 said:

Got the Gabbro last night, I'm fully up to date with the legendaries! Now, about that bear and panther...

I kind of hope the Panthers are last.

The Moose should be easy, the Bears shouldn't pose too much of a problem either, but I've got a nasty feeling about those free roam Panthers, I'm really not going to have much fun with those.

Leftover Pizza
1 hour ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

I kind of hope the Panthers are last.

The Moose should be easy, the Bears shouldn't pose too much of a problem either, but I've got a nasty feeling about those free roam Panthers, I'm really not going to have much fun with those.

I'm worried about the bears and panthers. Especially the bears. I'm expecting them to be even more bullet sponges than the current LA's. Their charging speed worries me too, and I hope there won't be a spawn in Tall Trees, where most of my freeaim shots will hit trees, leafs and rocks, before the legendary bear gnarls on my skull. 

Edited by Leftover Pizza

1 hour ago, Leftover Pizza said:

I'm worried about the bears and panthers. Especially the bears. I'm expecting them to be even more bullet sponges than the current LA's. Their charging speed worries me too, and I hope there won't be a spawn in Tall Trees, where most of my freeaim shots will hit trees, leafs and rocks, before the legendary bear gnarls on my skull. 

The Bears are in Big Valley around Little Creek River and the Cumberland Falls area of the Dakota River.

The Bears will be massive bullet sponges for sure, I'm going in with Pump Action and Repeater shotguns, might even pick up the semi auto shotgun, even though I dislike the semi automatic weapons.

The Panthers though, they are going to be horrible to hunt. The one in Bluewater Marsh and Bayou Nwa should be the easiest of the two because it's albino, spawns at night and some of the spawn points are near buildings and the AI can't figure out high ground.

The one South of Braithwaite Manor is going to be tough as hell, there's no high ground other than Black Belle's cabin roof, the terrain, the conditions it spawns in, at dusk in fog and it's black. I might get a pair of Mauser's and take the spray and pray approach.

• Like 1

Leftover Pizza
27 minutes ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

The Bears are in Big Valley around Little Creek River and the Cumberland Falls area of the Dakota River.

The Bears will be massive bullet sponges for sure, I'm going in with Pump Action and Repeater shotguns, might even pick up the semi auto shotgun, even though I dislike the semi automatic weapons.

The Panthers though, they are going to be horrible to hunt. The one in Bluewater Marsh and Bayou Nwa should be the easiest of the two because it's albino, spawns at night and some of the spawn points are near buildings and the AI can't figure out high ground.

The one South of Braithwaite Manor is going to be tough as hell, there's no high ground other than Black Belle's cabin roof, the terrain, the conditions it spawns in, at dusk in fog and it's black. I might get a pair of Mauser's and take the spray and pray approach.

I've been thinking of picking up Mauser's to kill LA's too, but dislike the models and use of these guns too much yet. I did dust off the old Evans Repeater, so reloading is less of a problem. 

You know what thought I dread most? That legendary bears and panthers don't come alone and have several buddies with them and my horses go full on idiot in all situations. I'm gonna die a lot out there, hunting these....

• Like 1

Probably not the right place to post this, but if anyone needs the marble fox, I just killed it but haven't skinned it - its a spare.

Feel free to add me (PS4) join my lobby and take it

Its gone.

Edited by Talisman_83

Legendary Owiza Bear. 03:30, public lobby, 4 players.