The Legendary Animals Thread

ALifeOfMisery

Leftover Pizza
6 minutes ago, No Homing said:

They definitely wouldn't attack you, but they would run away ofcourse, and chasing them with a wagon that's likely slower and not suitable for off roading, is a recipe for disaster.

After my horse bucks me off, I often chase them on foot. Chasing them on the hunting wagon would be a challenge, but still better than on foot, I think.

17 minutes ago, Leftover Pizza said:

After my horse bucks me off, I often chase them on foot. Chasing them on the hunting wagon would be a challenge, but still better than on foot, I think.

If there's a rock nearby, climb onto it. Otherwise, keep your distance if possible. For some reason, the Winyan Bison causes my horse to buck me off when I'm 30 meters away from it, but I can slowly walk infront of the Sun Gator and my horse doesn't care.

Makes no sense.

Leftover Pizza
2 minutes ago, No Homing said:

If there's a rock nearby, climb onto it. Otherwise, keep your distance if possible. For some reason, the Winyan Bison causes my horse to buck me off when I'm 30 meters away from it, but I can slowly walk infront of the Sun Gator and my horse doesn't care.

Makes no sense.

My horse bucks me off with almost every LA, except for those who run away from you, like the bucks. Other than those, I always get bucked off and have no chance to run and get higher ground. :D :D 

• Like 2

FFS, I just had a Tatanka Bison spawn where the Winyan Bison should spawn! The game is saboting me while I'm trying to max out all LA samples....

Atleast I needed a Tatanka sample too. But what do I do now? Go to the Heartlands next and hope the Winyan Bison spawns there now?

Edited by No Homing
  • Like 1

Legendary Sun Gator. 02:00, public lobby, 2 players.

I hate this mother f*cker.

• Like 1
  • KEKW 2

Leftover Pizza
5 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Legendary Sun Gator. 02:00, public lobby, 2 players.

I hate this mother f*cker.

He’s a downright pain in the ass. Possibly the worst one. It went down exactly like your run for me, except I ran into about 5 other gators I couldn’t auto aim on either. 
I think I must have died like 5 or 6 times at least. Possibly a few times more too. 
I hope I never run into this bitch ever again and if I do, f*ck him. I’m not gonna engage him again. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leftover Pizza said:

He’s a downright pain in the ass. Possibly the worst one. It went down exactly like your run for me, except I ran into about 5 other gators I couldn’t auto aim on either. 
I think I must have died like 5 or 6 times at least. Possibly a few times more too. 
I hope I never run into this bitch ever again and if I do, f*ck him. I’m not gonna engage him again. 

It's the terrain and off radar/spawn out of nowhere gators that make it so sh*t.

I don't mind not knowing where every gator in the water is, it's still annoying when it's happening, but whatever. It's the spawning on top of you, like the gator that got me around 1:45 in the video, literally popped in right next to me, that sh*t drives me mad.

I won't be hunting it again, don't care about samples and it's definitely not worth it to donate the pelt to Cripps.

• Like 1

Legendary Moon Beaver. 07:20, public lobby, 7 players.

• Like 1

Big TIme McGill

I learned yesterday that even if you get the notice that says the LA has escaped, he is still there.

My camp was in Tumbleweed and while I was at my camp, the question mark appeared nearby.  I headed over there and sure enough, the Maza Cougar was in the area.  I was going for the kill so I shot him a few times and he attacked, killing me once, and then fled to Gaptooth Ridge.  I went back over there and we fought again, and he again killed me.  When I respawned, I got the notice that said "The Maza Cougar has escaped.  Come back another time".

Undeterred, I went back to the location that I last saw him and sure enough, his trail was still there.  I tracked the trail and found him a little down the way.  Interestingly, at the same time, a hideout had spawned so this is the first time I've seen both an LA and a hideout spawn at the same time.  Possibly a glitch (I'm on Xbox).

Regardless, I approached the Cougar and either he was injured or uninterested but he wasn't nearly as aggressive.  He was kind of running around but not really attacking.  A few gunshots later he was put out of his misery.

TL:DR:  Even if you get the notice that the LA has escaped, he may still be around.

Legendary Gabbro Horn Ram. 16:30, public lobby, 8 players.

Legendary Cogi Boar. 08:40, 2 in game days after the above, same public lobby, now 2 players.

Only the Teca Gator left to kill. I'm trying to get it before R* start introducing the last 6 (2 variants of Moose, Bear and Panther)  free roam LA's.

Since I DC'd mid hunt on the Teca Gator I must have tried a dozen times, if not more, to spawn it again during its favoured time and conditions.

I guess I'll be spending a few nights down by the train tracks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Legendary Gabbro Horn Ram. 16:30, public lobby, 8 players.

Legendary Cogi Boar. 08:40, 2 in game days after the above, same public lobby, now 2 players.

Only the Teca Gator left to kill. I'm trying to get it before R* start introducing the last 6 (2 variants of Moose, Bear and Panther)  free roam LA's.

Since I DC'd mid hunt on the Teca Gator I must have tried a dozen times, if not more, to spawn it again during its favoured time and conditions.

I guess I'll be spending a few nights down by the train tracks.

Don't forget the gator species 72 hour cooldown since you got the Sun Gator (and wound up as lunch for half the gators in Lemoyne) so there's only so much time worth spending looking for Teka. In case you haven't fought Teka before, once you have him properly annoyed, he always has (at least when I fight him) 4 buddies that will come straight for you to make you into snack food.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Big TIme McGill said:

I learned yesterday that even if you get the notice that says the LA has escaped, he is still there.

My camp was in Tumbleweed and while I was at my camp, the question mark appeared nearby.  I headed over there and sure enough, the Maza Cougar was in the area.  I was going for the kill so I shot him a few times and he attacked, killing me once, and then fled to Gaptooth Ridge.  I went back over there and we fought again, and he again killed me.  When I respawned, I got the notice that said "The Maza Cougar has escaped.  Come back another time".

Undeterred, I went back to the location that I last saw him and sure enough, his trail was still there.  I tracked the trail and found him a little down the way.  Interestingly, at the same time, a hideout had spawned so this is the first time I've seen both an LA and a hideout spawn at the same time.  Possibly a glitch (I'm on Xbox).

Regardless, I approached the Cougar and either he was injured or uninterested but he wasn't nearly as aggressive.  He was kind of running around but not really attacking.  A few gunshots later he was put out of his misery.

TL:DR:  Even if you get the notice that the LA has escaped, he may still be around.

I had this with the Iguga Cougar, while I was chasing it the game said it escaped, but I could still see it, kill and skin it and it all counted. Weird. 

Much less worse than what the Moon Beaver did to me, it just vanished in front of me.

6 hours ago, CowboyTyke said:

Don't forget the gator species 72 hour cooldown since you got the Sun Gator (and wound up as lunch for half the gators in Lemoyne) so there's only so much time worth spending looking for Teka. In case you haven't fought Teka before, once you have him properly annoyed, he always has (at least when I fight him) 4 buddies that will come straight for you to make you into snack food.

Right, so no point looking for him before Sunday night for me, I'll finish off the sighting missions I've not gotten around to today then.

I fought him once but got disconnected before getting the kill, I went in prepared with pump action and repeater shotguns. I didn't find the Teca quite as bad as the Sun, but I didn't find it a pleasant experience.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

Leftover Pizza

Apparently, you don't need to have the naturalist role to encounter legendary animals in the wild AND have Gus make you garments either. 

Yesterday I ran into the Cogi Boar (possibly spawn trigger by another player in the lobby, the only other player). And today I ran into the Snow Buck, but this time in a solo lobby. 

Instead of donating it to Cripps, like I did with the boar cause I didn't know Gus would be happy to do something with it too, I tried my luck at Gus' and am able to get the garment if I wanted to. 

What do we need Harriet for? Samples? Hippie attires? It's pretty useless to do the naturalist role, if legendary animals is all you want to hunt.

53 minutes ago, Leftover Pizza said:

What do we need Harriet for?

Yeah, I was wondering about the consequences of, if I could, killing Mad Hattie. I mostly visit Harriet to restock on sedative ammo, but if I didn't have a way to sell samples I suppose I wouldn't need as much ammo. Still, sedative ammo is a handy way to manage a 1 star cougar or bear without reducing the chances of a 3 star predator spawning due to the recent kill.

Other advantages to the Naturalist role progression:

• 3 more, often easy,¬†challenges makes the 9/9 bonus easier each day
  • Kit satchel upgrade
  • Tonic satchel upgrade
  • An attractive and practical top-tier horse to fill up an empty stall
  • Mercy kill
  • Wilderness camp
  • Access to LAs from missions without needing¬†a posse leader willing to let you have the pelt
  • Like 1

Big TIme McGill
21 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Where did you get this info about the six remaining animals?

If there is a Legendary Moose, I hope he comes with a gang of his buddies because I can't find a Western Bull Moose to save my life.

23 minutes ago, Big TIme McGill said:

If there is a Legendary Moose, I hope he comes with a gang of his buddies because I can't find a Western Bull Moose to save my life.

See my post here:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Big TIme McGill said:

From the ever helpful @AdamNortonUK.

See above ^^^

55 minutes ago, OrionSR said:

Yeah, I was wondering about the consequences of, if I could, killing Mad Hattie. I mostly visit Harriet to restock on sedative ammo, but if I didn't have a way to sell samples I suppose I wouldn't need as much ammo. Still, sedative ammo is a handy way to manage a 1 star cougar or bear without reducing the chances of a 3 star predator spawning due to the recent kill.

Other advantages to the Naturalist role progression:

• 3 more, often easy,¬†challenges makes the 9/9 bonus easier each day
  • Kit satchel upgrade
  • Tonic satchel upgrade
  • An attractive and practical top-tier horse to fill up an empty stall
  • Mercy kill
  • Wilderness camp
  • Access to LAs from missions without needing¬†a posse leader willing to let you have the pelt

The benefits aren't especially wonderful, sure the horse is decent, but so are other role horses.

The Wilderness Camp is a massive disappointment, it appears to offer nothing over the many campfires dotted around the map other than you can place it if you can't be bothered going to one of those. I was hoping it would restore cores like at your actual camp, but mine doesn't.

The challenges are generally OK to easy apart from the ones requiring you to buy the silly expensive tonics.

LA missions are just a boost to the Trader role and I won't be terribly surprised if the materials income from those skins is reduced.

I'd cheerfully molotov Harriet on sight, I can't stand militant vegan types, her self righteous scripting and habit of using bear mace on me because my horse stood on an ant makes me a little annoyed. 

45 minutes ago, Big TIme McGill said:

As @AdamNortonUK has said it's been posted about a fair bit, plus the jeanproke map has got locations for the moose, panthers and bears (occasionally it does, think it's a bug) and I think they datamine to populate their excellent map which I've found extremely reliable. I have no doubt those species are coming at some point, no doubt with missions from the obsessive vegan nutcase in need of a bath.

Edited by CowboyTyke

20 minutes ago, CowboyTyke said:

The benefits aren't especially wonderful, sure the horse is decent, but so are other role horses.

The Wilderness Camp is a massive disappointment, it appears to offer nothing over the many campfires dotted around the map other than you can place it if you can't be bothered going to one of those. I was hoping it would restore cores like at your actual camp, but mine doesn't.

The challenges are generally OK to easy apart from the ones requiring you to buy the silly expensive tonics.

LA missions are just a boost to the Trader role and I won't be terribly surprised if the materials income from those skins is reduced.

I'd cheerfully molotov Harriet on sight, I can't stand militant vegan types, her self righteous scripting and habit of using bear mace on me because my horse stood on an ant makes me a little annoyed. 

As @AdamNortonUK has said it's been posted about a fair bit, plus the jeanproke map has got locations for the moose, panthers and bears (occasionally it does, think it's a bug) and I think they datamine to populate their excellent map which I've found extremely reliable. I have no doubt those species are coming at some point, no doubt with missions from the obsessive vegan nutcase in need of a bath.

Yes the map locations for the animals are datamined, I am a contributor for those maps as well and you can see the locations of the unreleased animals currently on my personal version of the map, https://rdomap.xyz 

35 minutes ago, AdamNortonUK said:

Yes the map locations for the animals are datamined, I am a contributor for those maps as well and you can see the locations of the unreleased animals currently on my personal version of the map, https://rdomap.xyz 

I'm not surprised at all, datamining would be the only practical mechanic. It's a top notch tool and it really makes RDO much more fun, please pass on my thanks to the other people involved in the site.

56 minutes ago, CowboyTyke said:

The Wilderness Camp is a massive disappointment,

My disappointment with the wilderness camp is caused by the black smoke of the campfire. What seems to be intended as a nice visual clue to the location of the camp has the effect of drawing in online players looking for a mission. I was riding with a posse of new players that were just cluing in to the smoke signals and we trampled the poor feller as he was crafting. The player either had enough sense not to retaliate as we quickly disarmed and emoted an apology, or more likely was AFK and missed it all. I've been a bit more reluctant to use my wilderness camp since. 

Killed the teca gator, but as I skinned it I got a chunk bitten out of me by a gator that spawned right next to me. The pelt disappeared, but still showed the teca still had its skin on it. Gotta wait another 72 hours...

3 hours ago, aaron2997 said:

Killed the teca gator, but as I skinned it I got a chunk bitten out of me by a gator that spawned right next to me. The pelt disappeared, but still showed the teca still had its skin on it. Gotta wait another 72 hours...

Yes that's a serious risk with the gators, I've taken to lasso dragging the corpses well away from other luxury luggage with an unhealthy appetite and the gnashers to back their appetite up. I didn't lose a skin the way you have, but I did get eaten just as I was about to skin.

With both the Sun and Teka gators they seem to have 4 extra special friends with serious munchies for cowpokes so skinning before you know their buddies are gator sandwiches tends to be a tad hazardous. 

16 hours ago, CowboyTyke said:

Yes that's a serious risk with the gators, I've taken to lasso dragging the corpses well away from other luxury luggage with an unhealthy appetite and the gnashers to back their appetite up. I didn't lose a skin the way you have, but I did get eaten just as I was about to skin.

With both the Sun and Teka gators they seem to have 4 extra special friends with serious munchies for cowpokes so skinning before you know their buddies are gator sandwiches tends to be a tad hazardous. 

I killed two of its buddies and thought the coast was clear. Third one spawned right next to me. Should've dragged it away like I did the with the Sun.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:33 PM, AdamNortonUK said:

Those Panthers are going to be absolute b*tches to kill.

I think the best chance with both will be getting one of the spawn points near buildings and using roofs as high ground.

The Ghost has a fair bit of potential in that regard, especially the spawn points to the South and East, the Nightwalker though, best chance is to hope it spawns near Black Belle's cabin, if that can even be climbed.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery
  • Like 1

Finally got him.

Legendary Teca Gator. 22:30, public lobby, 4 players.

All current free roam LA's now making my wardrobe much uglier.

• Like 1

Big TIme McGill

I legit can't believe your horse didn't buck you off sooner.  What gun are you using?  I had good success against the Teca by pulling out my Carcano and shooting from a distance.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Big TIme McGill said:

I legit can't believe your horse didn't buck you off sooner.  What gun are you using?  I had good success against the Teca by pulling out my Carcano and shooting from a distance.

I couldn't believe it either, if you go back and watch some of my other Legendary Animal videos, I'm getting bucked all the time, even got bucked by the Zizi Beaver.

I was using the Pump Action Shotgun with slugs. There's no pelt quality when killing a Legendary Animal, so I went in with quick firing and high damage.

Big TIme McGill

It's true there is no pelt quality, however I learned the hard way that if you use explosive ammo, you will damage the pelt and won't be able to skin the animal.  I thought I was so smart taking out the Katata Elk with explosive rounds from my Lancaster but when he died it wouldn't let me skin him.  I had forgotten about this as it's the same in Story mode.

• Like 1