The Legendary Animals Thread

ALifeOfMisery

4 hours ago, Failed Again said:

I gave Gus the Snow Buck, whole(not skinned)

No option to buy a coat..

I must have missed skin first

ūüôĀ

don't worry, i just did the exact same thing with the mudrunner buck. i misread the bonus thing last week, and thought it said Gus COULD craft the garment out of the whole carcass when it came to the bucks.

i already knew you had to skin them, i've sold the dude like 7 pelts already.. i just thought they changed it up with the bucks, it was the way the newswire post was worded i think lol

then i saw the moon(?) beaver, the white one, doing a moonshine run to butcher creek

i finished the shine run, popped a pheromone and got near to take a picture. not realizing what legendary i was even looking for, i took a picture of a standard beaver.. the legendary was behind a tree just out of my sight. i got one step closer and saw the clearly different one run towards the water as multiple standard beavers started running at me.

i wanted a picture of the legendary.. so i chase after it and try to get my camera out what had to be 10 times. because there's "aggressive" animals nearby it was greyed out. love that feature. so i kill the last standard beaver with a quick turn around shot.. and the legendary vanishes 5 feet from me. 

0/2 on legendaries today i s'pose lol can't win em all

• KEKW 1

8 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

@CowboyTyke

Both posted on the 18th, the same day that the Legendary Bucks were added to the game.

Playing solo, no other players around.

I don't doubt you got them both on the same day, I can't explain it if you're playing on the PC platform (I have zero idea if it's the same on other platforms), unless there was someone not showing on your radar that spawned the second one or you were on the nice side of a bug.

The testing I've done in conjunction with a friend by spending far too much time looking for Legendary animals in solo sessions or with the two of us (in 2 person sessions) very far apart on the map has led us to the conclusion that the 72 RL hours cooldown for a species exists.

I really do NOT want to be correct as it's damn annoying and what I consider to be a very sloppy bit of game design, but I'm convinced that it's true. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong or for them to change the cooldown to something far less.

ALifeOfMisery

Legendary Wakpa Boar. 14:20, public lobby, 5 players.

Legendary Katata Elk. 12pm the next in game day, same public lobby as above, this time with 3 players.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery
  • Like 2

Big TIme McGill
On 8/29/2020 at 3:26 PM, CowboyTyke said:

Having done a fairly large quantity of testing between myself and a friend (PC only, I can't speak for other platforms), using SOLO lobbies or only the 2 of us in sessions.

1. Legendary Animals of the same species/type i.e. Beaver, Buck, Elk, Cougar, Gator, Wolf, Bison, Coyote, Boar, Fox can ONLY be spawned in free roam by an individual player every 72 REAL LIFE (RL) hours, this includes if you do a Harriet mission of that species. So if you want an Elk in free roam and have done the Harriet mission inside the last 72 RL hours you're not going to get a spawn.

2. It only counts as a spawn if you change the yellow question mark ? to the paw mark if you've got close enough to spot the animal. Tested by deliberately ignoring the ? and then going to the spawn area of another of that species and getting a spawn there (Wakpa and Cogi boar in my test). 

3. If you've changed it to a paw and for some reason lost the animal without killing or sedating it then it DOES invoke the 72 RL hours cooldown so don't expect to see it again until that time is up. I've deliberately tested this on an animal and despite going back every few hours over multiple days it ONLY respawned at the 72 RL hour mark. It did however spawn immediately after the 72 hours was up.

4. Legendary Animals do appear to count as random events like Hideouts, Moonshiner, Ambushes and their spawns are mutually exclusive so if there's another random event at a spawn point for the animal it won't spawn, it often will very shortly after the other random events are cleared.

5. The 72 RL hour cooldown is per person so if you're with someone else (or a bunch of people) that has not had that species in the last 72 RL hours it may spawn while you're together, obviously it's not actually easy to tell who spawned an animal in a group, unless you've kept track of when each person last encountered that species.

6. This one is speculation, but appears to be true. If you want to improve the chances of getting a particular Legendary species to spawn and do not want some of the others then do the Harriet missions for the species you do not want, it seems to help a bit.

7. Also a bit speculative, neither of us has successfully found any Legendary animal spawns within a game day (48 RL minutes) after killing or sedating a different species so there appears to be a global cooldown of 48 RL mins on spawns. As I say speculative as it's a tad tricky to test this accurately with the 72 hour cooldown limiting the options. As before this does NOT apply unless changed the ? to a paw. This I have been able to test as I ignored a Marble Fox ? mark and found Winyan at the 72 hour mark within 10 minutes of ignoring the Marble Fox. 

Both of us have tried quite hard to DISPROVE the 72 RL hour cooldown by going to spawns at the right time of day/weather conditions and routes that others have posted and have worked before and failed to find a spawn, but at the end or after the 72 RL hour cooldown finding a spawn is not difficult.

I hope this helps a bit, personally I think the 72 RL hour cooldown is totally excessive and a rather silly way to extend the content, it just leads to annoyance and not the quantity of content.

@Wheat The testing listed in this post supports your feelings. I'm as certain as I can be (without access to the server game code and pulling it apart) that the 72RL hour species wide cooldown exists, at least on the PC platform. 

You are doing God's work here, sir.  Thank you. 

I've tested out most of what you have written here and you appear to be on course.  I'm going to start keeping note of the days and times I spot animals, and then note the 72 hour cool down period.  I agree, this is incredibly ridiculous, but it seems to check out.  At the very least, this saves me from hunting in locations where I know have experienced the same species.

So far and based on your post, I've managed changed my strategy and focussed on areas where I haven't recently encountered any LA's.  So far, I've managed to tag the Maza Cougar, the Ota Fox, and one of the Bison, so I will focus my time now on the Alligators, Deer, and Boars until the cool down has completed.

I tip my hat to you. You are a true Outlaw.

13 hours ago, Big TIme McGill said:

You are doing God's work here, sir.  Thank you. 

I've tested out most of what you have written here and you appear to be on course.  I'm going to start keeping note of the days and times I spot animals, and then note the 72 hour cool down period.  I agree, this is incredibly ridiculous, but it seems to check out.  At the very least, this saves me from hunting in locations where I know have experienced the same species.

So far and based on your post, I've managed changed my strategy and focussed on areas where I haven't recently encountered any LA's.  So far, I've managed to tag the Maza Cougar, the Ota Fox, and one of the Bison, so I will focus my time now on the Alligators, Deer, and Boars until the cool down has completed.

I tip my hat to you. You are a true Outlaw.

I do appreciate the thanks, I hope the conclusions help people a bit.

Continued testing is returning the same results so I'm pretty confident that, at least on the PC platform, the conclusion that there's a 72 RL hour cooldown by species is correct, I've just got the Emerald Wolf and 1.5 game days ago got the Ota Fox, at the 72 hour mark when I last got a wolf and a fox. I had been checking for the few hours before the 72 hour timer was up and no spawns, but once it was past the 72 hour point they appeared.

As said before I am ONLY confident that the results I posted apply to the PC platform, I have no idea if it applies to Playstation, Xbox or anything else as I don't use them.

Edited by CowboyTyke
Typo

Big TIme McGill

@cowboytyke  I should have added that I'm playing on Xbox so it appears your conclusions apply to the Xbox platform.

1 hour ago, Big TIme McGill said:

@cowboytyke  I should have added that I'm playing on Xbox so it appears your conclusions apply to the Xbox platform.

Interesting, it's rational that they'd use a common set of code or at least rules, that being said @ALifeOfMisery reported 2 bucks in the same RL day, either the theory is wrong or someone he didn't see spawned the second one or it bugged OR there's a special case on release day of an animal species. No way to know for sure.

Just found the Zizi beaver 72 hours after I did the Harriet Night beaver mission so for me at least the theory holds true.

@Beatrice Thanks for that, it appears at least for some of us on 3 platforms the 72 RL hour theory is valid.

Edited by CowboyTyke
Responding to Beatrice post

Big TIme McGill

Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if they do a reset on release day.  I may test this theory out tomorrow.  If they do a reset on release day, the 72 hour cool down makes a little more sense.

15 minutes ago, Big TIme McGill said:

Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if they do a reset on release day.  I may test this theory out tomorrow.  If they do a reset on release day, the 72 hour cool down makes a little more sense.

It's possible, but I don't think it's global as I went looking for a few I knew to be on cooldown on Tuesday last week and didn't find them (I felt it would be worth a try and a test). Incidentally I could only find the Mud buck on that release day despite trying for several hours to find the Snowy buck.

As you say it's worth a go testing tomorrow, especially if there's a new species released which is quite possible since there's wasn't one last week.

It's interesting how the missions play into this.

Apparently, doing a mission starts the 72 hour species cooldown; however, even if you currently have the cooldown active for those species, Harriet can still give you the mission. I logged on today, got the Red Streak Coyote - finally, after waiting for a long time - and when I came to Harriet to sell the sample, she gave me the Milk Coyote mission.

On 9/1/2020 at 3:36 PM, Beatrice said:

It's interesting how the missions play into this.

Apparently, doing a mission starts the 72 hour species cooldown; however, even if you currently have the cooldown active for those species, Harriet can still give you the mission. I logged on today, got the Red Streak Coyote - finally, after waiting for a long time - and when I came to Harriet to sell the sample, she gave me the Milk Coyote mission.

Indeed, good thing you found the Red Streak before you went to Harriet. In my testing her missions DO set off the 72 hour cooldown on finding that species of LA in Free Roam, obviously not the other way around as she only has a very finite number of missions.

On the question of if a Tuesday applies a global reset to the 72 hour cooldowns, my conclusion is no (at least when only a mission is added, not a new species) as I was unable to spawn a few targets I know to be on cooldown and have found 2 I know whose cooldown had expired.

Edited by CowboyTyke

Big TIme McGill

Ugh.  Did the Milk Coyote mission.  As soon as I found him, I fumbled out the Advanced Camera but there is some weird glitch where it takes about 20 seconds to become responsive.  Took a bunch of photos, none of which registered, and then I hit the wrong button to put the camera away and instead went to the Social Club.  When I was finally able to exit, the Coyote got away and now the mission is unavailable.  Infuriating that I started both the 48 minute and 72 hour cooldown and didn't register even a single item in the Field guide.

58 minutes ago, Big TIme McGill said:

Ugh.  Did the Milk Coyote mission.  As soon as I found him, I fumbled out the Advanced Camera but there is some weird glitch where it takes about 20 seconds to become responsive.  Took a bunch of photos, none of which registered, and then I hit the wrong button to put the camera away and instead went to the Social Club.  When I was finally able to exit, the Coyote got away and now the mission is unavailable.  Infuriating that I started both the 48 minute and 72 hour cooldown and didn't register even a single item in the Field guide.

Are you unable to get the mission again from Harriet? I've done the mission once and it hasn't re-appeared for me. Completely at odds with how I could do the Banded Gator mission as soon as her missions cycled to the next set. Either they've changed the Harriet mission rules or I'm encountering a bug or it was buggy last week when I could get the mission more or less as often as I wanted.

Big TIme McGill
1 hour ago, CowboyTyke said:

Are you unable to get the mission again from Harriet? I've done the mission once and it hasn't re-appeared for me. Completely at odds with how I could do the Banded Gator mission as soon as her missions cycled to the next set. Either they've changed the Harriet mission rules or I'm encountering a bug or it was buggy last week when I could get the mission more or less as often as I wanted.

I logged back in about two hours later and it appeared on the list.  This time I got the "poacher" version of the mission and was able to get the sample.  Just need to kill and skin it to complete this one in the Field guide now.

2 hours ago, Big TIme McGill said:

I logged back in about two hours later and it appeared on the list.  This time I got the "poacher" version of the mission and was able to get the sample.  Just need to kill and skin it to complete this one in the Field guide now.

Thanks for confirming that, I keep going back to Harriet and it's not appeared on her list for me I've probably missed it in her cycle by bad timing as I'm damned if I'm going to that crazy person every 48 minutes. I'll persist until appears again.

I was a bit concerned that they'd put the daft 72 hour cooldown on it.

Update: Mission reappeared, looks like I'd just missed it in the cycle. Blown it's head off mostly to spite Harriet for using bear mace on me for running over a frog on my horse.

Incidentally the 72 hour cooldown cycle on species appears further confirmed as I found Igua Cougar and Wakpa boar in the last couple of hours on schedule. Got Snowbuck and Katata Elk earlier today on schedule as well.

Edited by CowboyTyke
Update

I also keep confirming the 72 hour thing. That is a great find and I'm surprised all those youtubers haven't yet stolen it and made their own videos on it... This is big, almost as big as figuring out the collector cycles. Very well done.

Hopefully, we can fully understand how Harriet's missions interact with this. I had a small doubt yesterday, but I'm not sure - it felt like the usual 48 minute cooldown got lifted by me doing a Harriet mission; to elaborate, I did a FR LA coyote at X minutes, finished a LA mission at ~X+15 minutes, and at ~X+25 minutes I found another FR LA. But I might've totally messed my sense of time due to that weird issue on PC where some lobbies have desynched time (that whole situation happened on PC). Hopefully someone can try and test this further, but this requires knowing perfectly which 72h cooldowns are available to you right now so that the test can be performed properly.

@Beatrice Once we suspected that there was a hard 72 RL hours cooldown on species my friend and I started to maintain our own logs of when we'd spotted, activated (changed the ? to a paw) and killed or sampled the Legendary Animals (LA's). Also keeping a note of the Harriet missions I've done seemed wise as we suspected that Harriet missions triggered the 72 hour species cooldown on free roam LA's. This is how we arrived at the conclusion the 72 hour cooldown was real and it saved a lot of fruitless searching for LA's.

Most of my cooldowns were up yesterday or the day before and obviously I restarted them so I'll give it a couple of days and try out your question on the 48 minute cooldown (which I'm still not convinced exists, but I think probably does) and Harriet missions. As you say on PC it can be rather wonky with oddball timejumps due to desynching, there's also the possibility that in non solo session that a spawn is the result of someone else you can't see being responsible for the spawn.

Almost all of the testing I've done has been in solo sessions which are a bit of a drag to initiate, but on PC it means you can actually play the game without having to deal with the morons that like to hack the game, make you chain explode, teleport to somewhere annoying or get surrounded by a bunch of predators etc. I wish they'd just give us the option to play RDO in solo sessions as an official change, it would kill off the hacking clowns as they'd have noone to annoy because it's "funny" to them.

Edited by CowboyTyke

Yeah, I definitely believe this is true. Knowing this it will save me from a lot of headaches in the future, which I've had my fair share of so far.

It would explain why finding a LA the first time was really easy, but finding it a 2nd time was a massive pain in the ass.

Many thanks @CowboyTyke for your extensive testing.

Alright, some good findings today!

I've had many animals that are out of their 72h cooldown on my PS4 account, so I tested things.

When I've just encountered one LA and came to another's spot in the same session, I never encountered any, despite correct circumstances; however, jumping the session immediately spawned them. So, it seems like the 48 minute rule is relevant while you're still in the session where you got your previous LA, but jumping sessions completely bypasses that rule.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beatrice said:

Alright, some good findings today!

I've had many animals that are out of their 72h cooldown on my PS4 account, so I tested things.

When I've just encountered one LA and came to another's spot in the same session, I never encountered any, despite correct circumstances; however, jumping the session immediately spawned them. So, it seems like the 48 minute rule is relevant while you're still in the session where you got your previous LA, but jumping sessions completely bypasses that rule.

Interesting so we do appear to have more verification of the 48 mins cooldown on free roam LA's, but hopping sessions can bypass. Unexpected, but welcome :D

So theoretically, if someone else spawns a LA in and you sample it, does that put it in the 72 hour rotation? I was joining a friend and he had already spawned in the Tatanka Bison and I sampled it, and have been looking for the Winyan the last couple days and nothing.

Is there a specific Sighting mission/LA, which is best to Farm?

The Mission should be Short in time, the animal should be big (aimzone), the Terrain should be flat and the carcass should be worth a good amount at cripps.

28 minutes ago, fryday said:

Is there a specific Sighting mission/LA, which is best to Farm?

The Mission should be Short in time, the animal should be big (aimzone), the Terrain should be flat and the carcass should be worth a good amount at cripps.

The Elk and Bison missions from Harriet are easy since they are much slower, and the gator comes to you. Can't go wrong with any of those.

7 hours ago, drizzi_b said:

So theoretically, if someone else spawns a LA in and you sample it, does that put it in the 72 hour rotation? I was joining a friend and he had already spawned in the Tatanka Bison and I sampled it, and have been looking for the Winyan the last couple days and nothing.

In my testing that's a yes, if you sample or kill someone else LA spawn it does appear to set the 72 hour cooldown off.

ALifeOfMisery

Legendary Iguga Cougar. Around 19:00 to 19:30, public lobby, 4 players.

• Like 2

So after accidentally incinerating the marble fox yesterday, I have to wait two more days before I can finally cross it off my last LA to have.
Wow, great logic to add a 3 day cooldown. 

4 hours ago, Foreverpast said:

So after accidentally incinerating the marble fox yesterday, I have to wait two more days before I can finally cross it off my last LA to have.

Indeed, at least in the testing I've done and recorded the 72 RL hour cooldown is real and invoked as soon as you activate the LA (? symbol changed to a paw mark) irrespective of what you do with it, other people have the same results on PC, PS4 and Xbox.

Agreed the 72 hour cooldown is just an annoyance, it adds nothing to the game and detracts from the fun quite considerably.

Edited by CowboyTyke

Leftover Pizza
9 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Legendary Iguga Cougar. Around 19:00 to 19:30, public lobby, 4 players.

Got him too! Came home late and decided to turn on the PS4 to see if he was there. No 5 mins in game, I see another player getting chase from a yellow paw on the map, in the Iguga cougar area. He didn't charge, so I did. The cougar killed me twice, since I couldn't ge to higher ground, but I killed it, 22:30 in game, clear sky. That felt good. Been hunting the bastard for days already.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Foreverpast said:

If you're on PC just delete the cloud.dat files from your temp folder since the cloud.dat files stored are are created with the cooldown timers, it's the same method of being able to collect the same collectibles or dig in the same location as many times as you'd like in a day cycle :)