2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Why. the f*ck. does NOBODY complain about the godawful flying?!...

Smash Bandicoot

Smash Bandicoot

What. the actual. f*ck. what the literal sh*t sucking f*ck, were THEY THINKING?! THE FLYING IN THIS GAME, IS ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS!! people only complain about the driving and NEVER about the damn flying... WHY?! WHAT THE f*ck? WAS ROCKSTAR ON sh*t SUCKING PISS f*ckING METH WHEN MAKING THE FLYING?!! IT'S NOT FUN, THE HELICOPTER IS STIFF TO CONTROL, YOU HAVE BARELY ANY SENSE OF DIRECTION, YOU CAN'T CONTROL THE CAMERA, THE COCKSUCKER AT COCKSTAR THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA TO MAKE THE MOUTH THE CONTROLLER, THE THING IS A NIGHTMARE TO LAND, AND WORST OF ALL, IT PROBABLY WASN'T EVEN PLAYTESTED FOR MORE THAN 10. sh*tTING. MINUTES!!

Nobody complained about the flying because nobody on these forums complains about anything. 

Ever. 

You say you couldn't control the camera...how so? 

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8

Flying is bad in every GTA game tbh. Planes especially (which obviously doesn't apply here) but helicopters too. Terrible landing controls where the aircraft is damaged too easily, often things are too wobbly when flying and worst of all is the crappy aiming of guns/missiles, which I can only recall being done well in Vice City. 

IV's helicopter flying is average by GTA standards I'd say. I prefer it to V's where the wobbling is ridiculous, you can get killed by the blades when trying to jump out way too easily, and the thing will just explode if it's damaged at all. And you can't go parachuting without getting a f*cking wanted level when the aircraft hits the ground after you jump out. At least IV's flying has the cool aspect of being able to break off the tail and continue flying wildly without it or break the blades without the whole thing exploding and have to wait and see if you'll survive the crash or not.

I do agree that the flying can be frustrating, particularly in TBOGT where you have to fly and shoot/use missiles in a lot of missions. But it's the same in any GTA game where you have to do that (apart from Vice City with the nice aiming), it's not issues specific to IV.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
Smash Bandicoot

Flying is bad in every GTA game tbh. Planes especially (which obviously doesn't apply here) but helicopters too. Terrible landing controls where the aircraft is damaged too easily, often things are too wobbly when flying and worst of all is the crappy aiming of guns/missiles, which I can only recall being done well in Vice City. 

Another nostalgia cackie, I see, flying is good in every GTA game that doesn't take place in LC.

3 hours ago, B Dawg said:

Because it's not awful.

It's unplayable, it's comparable to the GTA 3 dodo, only this time, they're REQUIRED to beat the game.

3 hours ago, Lance Mayhem said:

Nobody complained about the flying because nobody on these forums complains about anything. 

Ever. 

You say you couldn't control the camera...how so? 

If you're asking that, you never made it to a flying mission.

Grotti Vigilante

I've spent too many hours at flight school in San Andreas to not be used to flying planes and helicopters in GTA at this point. It needs some getting used to for me, but I can adapt my skills easily to the point I'm bold enough to call myself an expert pilot. That's why I don't complain about it personally, and any complaints I have seen about flying apply to every other GTA game. 

Edited by Grotti Vigilante

Because flying isn't as practical as in the other games due to the small packed nature of the map so fewer people do it and thus complain about it. I hardly find any use for the Annihilator in GTA IV.

Edited by Giantsgiants
6 hours ago, Smash Bandicoot said:

What. the actual. f*ck. what the literal sh*t sucking f*ck, were THEY THINKING?! THE FLYING IN THIS GAME, IS ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS!! people only complain about the driving and NEVER about the damn flying... WHY?! WHAT THE f*ck? WAS ROCKSTAR ON sh*t SUCKING PISS f*ckING METH WHEN MAKING THE FLYING?!! IT'S NOT FUN, THE HELICOPTER IS STIFF TO CONTROL, YOU HAVE BARELY ANY SENSE OF DIRECTION, YOU CAN'T CONTROL THE CAMERA, THE COCKSUCKER AT COCKSTAR THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA TO MAKE THE MOUTH THE CONTROLLER, THE THING IS A NIGHTMARE TO LAND, AND WORST OF ALL, IT PROBABLY WASN'T EVEN PLAYTESTED FOR MORE THAN 10. sh*tTING. MINUTES!!

git gud lol

3 hours ago, Smash Bandicoot said:

If you're asking that, you never made it to a flying mission.

Arrogant much?

Played the game about eight times through. After the initial learning curve, I don't recall flying being all that problematic, but the mission in which Little Jacob had to take down the other chopper took a few tries. I had no comparisons to draw at the time, as the only other game in the franchise I had played before was a few hours of GTA2. I thought maybe you had the camera on cinematic mode. I was also playing on a PS3 console, which may be easier than some other platforms, particularly if you were trying to fly using keyboard controls, which, I'm led to believe, can be difficult. 

So, yeah. I've made it to the flying missions. 

If you've got any more of that yummy patronizing condescension, I'll pass on seconds, thanks. You can give my share to the next experienced player who tries to help. 

Welcome to the forums. 

The flight controls are literally the exact same as they were in San Andreas. If you were okay with them there, then you should have no problem with them here.

Edited by Joyrider02

Looking at your posting history you really seem to have an issue with a lot of the small stuff no one really cares about. Like dude calm down it's just a game. Flying? Really? Like there are hardly a lot of aircraft in the game aside from Helicopters and aside from the very few missions where you use them unless you seek out a helicopter it's not a big deal at all.

I never really had any complaints with the flying if anything my only problems were landing helicopters every now and then it became a bit difficult to make a perfect landing.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 3
billiejoearmstrong8
6 hours ago, Smash Bandicoot said:

Another nostalgia cackie, I see, flying is good in every GTA game that doesn't take place in LC.

Nope, it's pretty flawed in every GTA game and in LC it's about average. And the controls are the same in every game. And controlling the camera is the same as in a car. Normal flying has the usual flaws but is fine. Firing missles/bullets from a helicopter sucks as it always does in GTA (bar Vice City where it auto aims very effectively) but it's no worse than in other games.

Looks like you haven't played in the old days where skilled pilots could circle-strafe your Infernus and snipe you out of your car, using the pre-DLC Annihilator.

• Like 2
TheOriginalGunslinger

Never had a problem ever with flying. I loved the Annihilator in multiplayer Free Mode free aim lobbies.

14 hours ago, Zello said:

Looking at your posting history you really seem to have an issue with a lot of the small stuff no one really cares about. Like dude calm down it's just a game.

THIS. THIS right here... I noticed that too. He gets so defensive when someone else has an opinion over his as well. lol

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger

Is it weird that I find the flying in GTA games more engaging and executed better than other games in the same genre? I think IV's flying is alright(Should have had planes though) and sets the perfect base for the improvements in V. The flying in IV is f*cking good. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Dude, you really need to take the good ol' chill pill. No offence but looking at that Caps Lock text is godawful. 

On-topic - meh, I find it as good as in the 3D era. I personally have steering with the mouse turned off.

Wow, that's a tantrum like I haven't seen in a bit.

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1

the flying in this game is fun. 10 year old me used to take turns with my friends bailing out of an annihilator and watching niko curl up in a ball screaming while he falls to his death. good times.

• Like 2
billiejoearmstrong8

Yeah I have to agree that bailing out is quality in this game. Get up to a good height at high speed and see how far across the city you can fling Niko lol. In V once it goes into the falling animation (after the initial ejection where you're flung to the side a bit) you just fall straight down, which isn't as fun.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 2

Dang, had way too much fun doing that back in the day in multiplayer, same with helicopter blades, just have people jump onto them and see how far they could go. Good times.

Smash Bandicoot
On 7/13/2020 at 3:09 AM, DOUGL4S1 said:

git gud lol

It ain't even about skill, it's just bullsh*t, I completed Contra 3 on Hard (Granted, I had like 6-8 lives, but still, better than anyone on this board can do).

billiejoearmstrong8

Oh also I have to mention the pleasure of getting bored during a heli tour and jumping out while the guy is mid-sentence lol. I love that they allowed you to do that (when in similar situation they'd often remove the ability to jump out and just make you skip to the end of the tour or whatever). The guy's waffling, the protagonists's polite but uninterested comments - they set it up perfectly to induce suicidal thoughts.

Smash Bandicoot
On 7/13/2020 at 7:18 AM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Nope, it's pretty flawed in every GTA game and in LC it's about average. And the controls are the same in every game. And controlling the camera is the same as in a car. Normal flying has the usual flaws but is fine. Firing missles/bullets from a helicopter sucks as it always does in GTA (bar Vice City where it auto aims very effectively) but it's no worse than in other games.

Oh yeah? let's see, in GTA 3, the only flyable vehicle is the Dodo, which is an unfinished, broken mess, in LCS, there's no flying, and if you somehow cheat, you will realize the map is unfinished, in GTA 4, there isn't even any planes, like WTF.

billiejoearmstrong8
1 minute ago, Smash Bandicoot said:

It ain't even about skill, it's just bullsh*t, I completed Contra 3 on Hard (Granted, I had like 6-8 lives, but still, better than anyone on this board can do).

Is it mostly the shooting while flying? I find that hard but just the regular flying is fine and not much different to any other GTA flying, and I don't have a high skill level.

Smash Bandicoot
1 minute ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Is it mostly the shooting while flying? I find that hard but just the regular flying is fine and not much different to any other GTA flying, and I don't have a high skill level.

It is, the flying in VC was a bit wonky, but still flyable, in GTA SA, it was slick and in GTA VCS aswell, they somehow managed to f*ck up the flying in IV.