1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

will gta 6 be a disappointment?

lofu_agfy

will gta 6 be a disappointment?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. will gta 6 be a disappointment?

It will be a disappointment to those who think they already know the game's main theme and setting.

Edited by Damien Scott
Western Gunslinger
14 hours ago, dantedenirodeniro said:

You're saying this like GTA V was somehow a horrible game, it isn't. It is in fact one of the best games from it generation and better than GTA IV in various aspects

you can say that, but ill still think GTA V as a disappointing game in general

I mean sure VI won't deliver every crazy expectations from the fans,it won't make other GTA's or other games obsolete in any way,most people want their new product to make older ones obsolete,but it doesn't work like that.I'm sure VI will make some things absolutely right like older GTA's,but not everything,will it be a great game?I'm sure Rockstar will deliver on that.

• Like 1

Will it be a disappointment? Depends, matter of taste.

Personally, I think it will be overhyped and people will get (too) high expectations and thus be mildly disappointed.

I'm hoping for something that will be between the 60's and 80's though I'm quite sure they will not do it.

Honestly, wouldnt expect it to be coming before 2025 at this point because GTAV is already 7½ years old and they are bringing the same game for a 3rd console gen (and that IS a disappointment).

2 hours ago, Schuimpruim said:

Will it be a disappointment? Depends, matter of taste.

Personally, I think it will be overhyped and people will get (too) high expectations and thus be mildly disappointed.

I'm hoping for something that will be between the 60's and 80's though I'm quite sure they will not do it.

Honestly, wouldnt expect it to be coming before 2025 at this point because GTAV is already 7½ years old and they are bringing the same game for a 3rd console gen (and that IS a disappointment).

2024 is the latest I can see GTA VI coming.

dantedenirodeniro
25 minutes ago, TrueGamer said:

If it doesn't have single player then hell yes

There is literally 0% possibility that it will not have a single player

SwishiestRock29
On 2/23/2021 at 12:10 AM, Western Gunslinger said:

you can say that, but ill still think GTA V as a disappointing game in general

If gta 5 is disappointment how come it sold 140 million copies and most profitable entertainment product of all time. Matter of fact gta 5 alone sold more copies than every other gta combined 

5 hours ago, SwishiestRock29 said:

If gta 5 is disappointment how come it sold 140 million copies and most profitable entertainment product of all time. Matter of fact gta 5 alone sold more copies than every other gta combined 

He meant disappointment in the sense that it feels like a downgrade compare to previous GTA games 

dantedenirodeniro
5 hours ago, SwishiestRock29 said:

He was talking about the game's quality in his opinion

Western Gunslinger
7 hours ago, SwishiestRock29 said:

Some people bought the game because of hype and because of past games, once they played it, they realized it's a mediocre game and moved on to far better games. The other people (mostly the young and stupid one) wasted either their life or their money on GTA Online. It's, unfortunately, the truth

The Tracker
On 8/18/2020 at 5:47 AM, José_Sócrates said:

People say Red Dead Redemption 2 proves that Rockstar can still release good games, but they forget that the game still has some really nasty gameplay mechanics and that the missions manage to be more restrictive than what we got in GTA V.

The difference is that with RDR2 I can see exactly what Rockstar wanted to do, which direction they were heading for gameplay wise, regardless of anyone's opinions, RDR2 is a game with an undeniable charm and love put into it, most of the good things I expect from a Rockstar game are in RDR2, can't say the same about GTA V, were the single player open world experience feels rather cluttered and undercooked.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, The Tracker said:

The difference is that with RDR2 I can see exactly what Rockstar wanted to do, which direction they were heading for gameplay wise, regardless of anyone's opinions, RDR2 is a game with an undeniable charm and love put into it, most of the good things I expect from a Rockstar game are in RDR2, can't say the same about GTA V, were the single player open world experience feels rather cluttered and undercooked.

I kinda feel the opposite. I enjoyed my time with RDR2 well enough but it was kind of an inconsistent mess. It was trying to do so many things at once and a lot of those things just didn't mesh together very well. GTA V, for whatever its faults may be, was at least consistent and coherent most of the time.

Edited by DexMacLeod
The Tracker
7 hours ago, DexMacLeod said:

I enjoyed my time with RDR2 well enough but it was kind of an inconsistent mess. It was trying to do so many things at once and a lot of those things just didn't mesh together very well.

That literally defines the complaint everyone has with GTA V here. I don't see RDR2 having three characters from completely different backgrounds that end up getting wasted by a short story (GTA V), but rather one protagonist and a focused storyline, I don't see RDR2 having thousand of useless minigames like yoga and rubber-banding fest races while lacking actual theme related content (GTA V), but rather fewer minigames along with wild west/outlaw related content like hunting and robberies, I don't see RDR2 lacking basic open world features like interiors or interactivity with its map, but getting all its priorities in adding a huge detailed ocean that nobody will visit (GTA V), instead, it bothered to make a game map as the detailed as the first game's, and I can keep going on. GTA V is the actual "inconsistent mess". RDR2 isn't perfect in everything it tries to do, it even has some inconsistent stuff, but it doesn't get nowhere near GTA V's level, where almost everything lacks depth and is just there for the sake of quantity, to the point it feels like it was a game designed for single player DLC's, that never were released anyway.

I fail to see how GTA V can be considered a disappointment. The business practices that followed are disappointing but the game itself is not.

You may criticise it for a few flaws here and there but to label it as a disappointment is way to harsh. Cyberpunk 2077, Marvel's Avengers, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Fallout 76 etc. are a disappointment.

• Like 3
KingAJ032304

There may be dissapointing aspects of GTA V but I'll NEVER call the game a disappointment, LCS on the otherhand...

9 hours ago, The Tracker said:

That literally defines the complaint everyone has with GTA V here. I don't see RDR2 having three characters from completely different backgrounds that end up getting wasted by a short story (GTA V), but rather one protagonist and a focused storyline, I don't see RDR2 having thousand of useless minigames like yoga and rubber-banding fest races while lacking actual theme related content (GTA V), but rather fewer minigames along with wild west/outlaw related content like hunting and robberies, I don't see RDR2 lacking basic open world features like interiors or interactivity with its map, but getting all its priorities in adding a huge detailed ocean that nobody will visit (GTA V), instead, it bothered to make a game map as the detailed as the first game's, and I can keep going on. GTA V is the actual "inconsistent mess". RDR2 isn't perfect in everything it tries to do, it even has some inconsistent stuff, but it doesn't get nowhere near GTA V's level, where almost everything lacks depth and is just there for the sake of quantity, to the point it feels like it was a game designed for single player DLC's, that never were released anyway.

Literally nothing you described about GTA V falls under the category of inconsistent. The three characters make perfect sense together within the context of the story, the mini games make perfect sense for their respective characters, and you wanting things it doesn't have has nothing to do with consistency. It absolutely still has its inconsistencies, all Rockstar open world games seem to have them to some extent, but it's nowhere near as bad as RDR2.

RDR2's corridor shooter mission design doesn't jive well with basic open world structure, the half-assed attempts at realism/rpg feel arbitrary and don't mesh with the over the top action, the story doesn't fit on the map, and the inventory system isn't even consistent with itself. Sure, in RDR2 you can talk to NPCs, go in a lot of buildings, and hunt animals but 98% of that doesn't serve any actual purpose. It just feels tacked on.

I'm hoping in GTA VI they manage to solve this issue. RDR2 had a lot of really neat systems but all those different gameplay elements need something to tie them together and make them feel meaningful. Maybe some sort improved character progression system or something?

The Tracker
27 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

Literally nothing you described about GTA V falls under the category of inconsistent.

Just like I wasn't talking about inconsistencies in the first place. It falls under the category of what I expect from a Rockstar open world, which GTA V didn't even bother to focus on.

all Rockstar open world games seem to have them to some extent, but it's nowhere near as bad as RDR2.

RDR2's corridor shooter mission design doesn't jive well with basic open world structure

Literally every Rockstar open world has a corridor shooting mission desing.

the half-assed attempts at realism/rpg feel arbitrary and don't mesh with the over the top action

This logic can be applied to literally every Rockstar Game with RPG elements, like GTA SA and V.

the story doesn't fit on the map

Yeah, that doesn't make sense.

and the inventory system isn't even consistent with itself.

Another thing which can be applied with many, many open world games.

Sure, in RDR2 you can talk to NPCs, go in a lot of buildings, and hunt animals but 98% of that doesn't serve any actual purpose. It just feels tacked on.

So, basic open world interactivity doesn't serve actual purpose? Ok.

Edited by The Tracker
11 minutes ago, The Tracker said:

Literally every Rockstar open world has a corridor shooting mission desing.

This logic can be applied to literally every Rockstar Game with RPG elements, like GTA SA and V.

Like I said in the bit you quoted, not to the extent of RDR2. GTA V at least had things like the setup missions and missions that involved you escaping from the police however you wanted. In RDR2 even getting away had to be done in a specific way down a specific path. And the RPG attempts in other Rockstar games (apart from eating in SA) are minimal at best. They're more background stats than a gameplay function.

23 minutes ago, The Tracker said:

Yeah, that doesn't make sense.

It does, though. The whole premise of the game revolved around the gang fleeing from the law but because the map couldn't support that, the gang never travelled more than half a day, in-game time, before stopping.

32 minutes ago, The Tracker said:

Another thing which can be applied with many, many open world games.

Again, not to the extent of RDR2. They limit the weapons to what the character could realistically carry but for some reason he can still carry like a hundred different food cans, crafting items, and ammunition. Most games either try to be realistic about it or give you magic pockets. RDR2 did both and it doesn't work.

36 minutes ago, The Tracker said:

So, basic open world interactivity doesn't serve actual purpose? Ok.

Not the things I listed, not in RDR2 at least. They can all be ignored, or you can do them all and nothing is gained from it. They're all neat features, and I actually enjoy some of them. I just wish there was more of a connective tissue between them and the chore gameplay. I wish I had a real reason to go into and loot random buildings.  

This is all veering way off topic and I can't think of a closing paragraph to bring it back. I guess I'd be disappointed in GTA VI if it's more like RDR2 and less like GTA.

The Tracker
20 hours ago, DexMacLeod said:

Like I said in the bit you quoted, not to the extent of RDR2. GTA V at least had things like the setup missions and missions that involved you escaping from the police however you wanted. In RDR2 even getting away had to be done in a specific way down a specific path. 

It seems you're simply favouring GTA V over RDR2 in everything, RDR2 also had many instances where you could freely escape not only from the law, but from enemies how you wanted (Pouring Forth Oil, The Sheeps & The Goats, Blessed are the peacemakers, etc), and no, the setup missions argumment doesn't work, it's the missions themselves we're talking about, I mean, do, all of your argumments matter anyway? GTA V shares the exact same mission desing of RDR2, it was GTA V where it came from in the first place, some little things here and there don't change that fact.

And the RPG attempts in other Rockstar games (apart from eating in SA) are minimal at best. They're more background stats than a gameplay function.

Nope, not really. In GTA SA everything, not only the eating, but also the stamina, muscle, respect and lung-capacity, etc, mattered a lot while playing, heck, you even had to improve some of them in order to do some missions, and this was the wackiest game of the whole franchise.

It does, though. The whole premise of the game revolved around the gang fleeing from the law but because the map couldn't support that, the gang never travelled more than half a day, in-game time, before stopping.

Not sure how that does stand for "Not making sense with the story"

Again, not to the extent of RDR2. They limit the weapons to what the character could realistically carry but for some reason he can still carry like a hundred different food cans, crafting items, and ammunition. Most games either try to be realistic about it or give you magic pockets. RDR2 did both and it doesn't work.

Yes, it does work. You simply can't compare many random items that you'll use for many different things, with a set of guns that you'll pretty much use to kill enemies, being limited to use a shotgun and a sniper, instead of a repeater, isn't the same as not being able to carry your treasure map because of a golden-watch. A game can't be 100% realistic.

Not the things I listed, not in RDR2 at least. They can all be ignored.

OH!, just like in any open world game? Where everything related to the open world and not the story can be completely ignored by the player? Are we even arguing this?

you can do them all and nothing is gained from it. They're all neat features, and I actually enjoy some of them. I just wish there was more of a connective tissue between them and the chore gameplay.

In conclusion: in RDR2 the features are useless because... Because the features are useless, let's forget GTA V where it literally features the biggest amount of useless side quest and minigames with 0 rewards, RDR2 bad, GTA V good.

I wish I had a real reason to go into and loot random buildings. 

And I wish I had a reason to do rubber-banded races, do button mashing for 20 minutes in a thriatlon or play Yoga to only touch it once, but hey!, we can all agree on something.

But ok, you rather have them than basic open world stuff that every game of the genre should have such as enterable buildings, because RDR2 has them and you'll find a way to criticize the game no matter what, doesn't matter if looting buildings has the exact same purpose as it did in the first game or pretty much any open world game with looting as a simple option, RDR2 bad.

Edited by The Tracker
  • Like 2
MiamiViceCity1986
13 hours ago, Wolfman_ said:

I fail to see how GTA V can be considered a disappointment. The business practices that followed are disappointing but the game itself is not.

You may criticise it for a few flaws here and there but to label it as a disappointment is way to harsh. Cyberpunk 2077, Marvel's Avengers, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Fallout 76 etc. are a disappointment.

Isn't that up to the person to decide? Using that logic I fail to see how anyone could deem GTA IV to be disappointing yet we've had to put up with people for years complaining that it was a "downgrade' compared to their precious San Andreas....because opinions even though GTA IV was a massive financial and critical success. Just like GTA V.

I consider parts of GTA V disappointing. Especially considering that at the time it had the highest development budget of any game ever made so when it objectively failed in technical aspects GTA IV and even 3D era GTAs to an extent were able to accomplish that raised the alarm atleast for me because naturally I thought GTA V would progress in those areas. Not regress. That's pretty "disappointing". 

I also think it's disappointing we never got that single player DLC R* promised that was stiffed back in 2015 in order to focus on GTAO. Obviously GTA V isn't as bad as those games you mentioned because they all failed at the basic levels of game design (bug and glitch ridden messes), but a few disappointments can quickly add up. However like I said it's upto the person. If you don't consider GTA V disappointing then why does it matter if someone else does? Just move on and deal with it.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 4
14 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Isn't that up to the person to decide?

Yes, but no. There's your personal opinion and the general concensus. I consider GTA IV to be a little bit of disappointment (even if it's a great game overall) but I know that the general concensus, both among the fans and the critics, is that the game was far away from being a disappointment. 

The same logic should be applied to GTA V. You could argue that it is a case similar as the one of Fallout 4 where the hardcore fanbase consider a game that is praised both by (casual) fans and the critics to be disappointing but I'd disagree with you. Why? Because the only place where GTA V is heavily criticised is here, and let's be honest this forum (with all due respect) isn't the ultimate authority on anything. There are many other GTA communities out there.

Cyberpunk 2077 is game that's really disappointing, just like Mass Effect: Andromeda or Fallout 76. Because these games failed to deliver to the expectations of pretty much everyone and not just a few minority. They where far, far below what they promised to the public. I think it's very, very mistaken to say that GTA V followed the same path of such games.

MiamiViceCity1986
19 hours ago, Wolfman_ said:

Yes, but no. There's your personal opinion and the general concensus. I consider GTA IV to be a little bit of disappointment (even if it's a great game overall) but I know that the general concensus, both among the fans and the critics, is that the game was far away from being a disappointment. 

The same logic should be applied to GTA V. You could argue that it is a case similar as the one of Fallout 4 where the hardcore fanbase consider a game that is praised both by (casual) fans and the critics to be disappointing but I'd disagree with you. Why? Because the only place where GTA V is heavily criticised is here, and let's be honest this forum (with all due respect) isn't the ultimate authority on anything. There are many other GTA communities out there.

Cyberpunk 2077 is game that's really disappointing, just like Mass Effect: Andromeda or Fallout 76. Because these games failed to deliver to the expectations of pretty much everyone and not just a few minority. They where far, far below what they promised to the public. I think it's very, very mistaken to say that GTA V followed the same path of such games.

Yeah, but I rarely see anyone claim that the consensus is GTA V’s disappointing. It might be disappointing to them, but each to their own.

I’m also not sure why you’re suggesting people think GTA V followed the path of those games especially Cyberpunk 2077 which is probably the most epic dumpster fire of modern gaming. Even on this forum where some people take GTA V criticism way too much to heart the most cynical and harshest GTA V  critics probably wouldn’t think GTA V is that low on the totem pole.

28 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Yeah, but I rarely see anyone claim that the consensus is GTA V’s disappointing. It might be disappointing to them, but each to their own.

I’m also not sure why you’re suggesting people think GTA V followed the path of those games especially Cyberpunk 2077 which is probably the most epic dumpster fire of modern gaming. Even on this forum where some people take GTA V criticism way too much to heart the most cynical and harshest GTA V  critics probably wouldn’t think GTA V is that low on the totem pole.

Yeah, honestly it seems like a strange mix of strawman arguments and mental gymnastics. First of all, the general consensus that Cyberpunk 2077 is disappointing isn't correct. Most people think that Cyberpunk 2077 is unpolished "just like most modern games are." People arguing that Cyberpunk 2077 is lacking core features, disappointing and trash are the minority actually. So applying the said logic here, can we really say that any game is a disappointment?

And honestly what good highlighting is the difference between personal opinions and general consensus if the latter is just a collection of personal opinions? Every "bad" game has people who praise it and every "good" game has its critics. So is there even a good or bad game to begin with?

Edited by Ryo256
  • Like 2
MiamiViceCity1986
39 minutes ago, Ryo256 said:

Yeah, honestly it seems like a strange mix of strawman arguments and mental gymnastics. First of all, the general consensus that Cyberpunk 2077 is disappointing isn't correct. Most people think that Cyberpunk 2077 is unpolished "just like most modern games are." People arguing that Cyberpunk 2077 is lacking core features, disappointing and trash are the minority actually. So applying the said logic here, can we really say that any game is a disappointment?

And honestly what good highlighting is the difference between personal opinions and general consensus if the latter is just a collection of personal opinions? Every "bad" game has people who praise it and every "good" game has its critics. So is there even a good or bad game to begin with?

I think something like No Man’s Sky may have been a better example because that was massively disappointing to many people on release for failing to deliver on things the devs themselves promised.

I'm pretty sure some people will be crying over the map even if it takes place in 2 cities(Miami and Caribbean/South American City),people will compare it to GTA:SA again,and will say no road connection between cities makes two-city approach pointless,etc.,I'd bet some people will call the South American City "Cayo Perico on steroids" if the rumours are true.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ryo256 said:

Yeah and following your logic the next step is to start questioning the meaning of life. "Nothing matters". "We're all just dust in the wind".

Saying that the people who consider Cyberpunk 2077 to be a disappointment are a minority is at least nonsensical and I don't even need to say why.

It is important to highlight the difference between your personal opinion and the general consensus because in many, many times, the personal opinion is based on expectations. "I expected X and they delivered me Y", but there was never really a promise to deliver X and Y is not actually bad, just different to what you expected. Thus calling Y a general disappointment is unfair because you are the "problem" and not the product itself. 

1 hour ago, Wolfman_ said:

Yeah and following your logic the next step is to start questioning the meaning of life. "Nothing matters". "We're all just dust in the wind".

Not so much as my logic then what people follow on the internet. I am not exactly a fan of relativism.

Saying that the people who consider Cyberpunk 2077 to be a disappointment are a minority is at least nonsensical and I don't even need to say why.

I find it hard to believe as well but unfortunately I don't have a high opinion of the gaming community's standards. You will find that more than half of the Cyberpunk 2077 players are quite pleased with CDPR's work.

It is important to highlight the difference between your personal opinion and the general consensus because in many, many times, the personal opinion is based on expectations. "I expected X and they delivered me Y", but there was never really a promise to deliver X and Y is not actually bad, just different to what you expected. Thus calling Y a general disappointment is unfair because you are the "problem" and not the product itself. 

So if GTA 6 turns out to be a tennis simulator, then disappointment is on us and not Rockstar?

• Like 2