Fallout (Amazon)

Zello

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/fallout-series-jonathan-nolan-lisa-joy-amazon-1234696997/

Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy are producing

Edited by Zello

Mister Pink

I'm cautiously optimistic for this. I always thought the Fallout world would be a great  backdrop for TV show or film. I just hope it has that nice cinematic quality. It's going to be a real challenge to win fans over. Because some things that make a game great just wont be able to translate to a TV show so easily. So, I hope if it is good, fans have the right expectations. 

Things like the feeling or exploring a mysterious and dangerous environment will be hard to convey in motion picture where the viewer is now only a passive viewer and doesn't control anything. Looting, discovering new places, building your own character, your own narrative etc, just wont be in a show. The good thing is the actual Fallout world is full of gems. If the filmmakers are smart, they'll have visual easter eggs for fans of the game. Could just be items in the background, things that sharp-eyed viewers will spot.

The most important thing will be the story. If the story is a dud, then no amount of special effects and set design will save it. I hope to see a story that focuses on The Minutemen. Make the first season a very human story and world-building story about survival and the harsh environments. I wouldn't mind if the story was similar to that of Fallout 4. We start to learn about The Institute. It's mysterious and scary at the same time. This ominous organization that people know little about. Every now and then you come across these synths that do hits on people in places you settle. It becomes like a murder mystery. You start look for motives as to why these synths are targeting certain people. You start to unravel the story as to why. You make it your mission to break into the Institute etc. And maybe you never get to it. It could be this running mystery to try get to it over 2-3 seasons. 

You know what I would love? An anthology type series. Every day a short story about some character in the wasteland. Sometimes having them intersect. But largely self contained. 

Either that, or them following a model like The Mandalorian. 

2lzNHds.png

Mister Pink
42 minutes ago, Tchuck said:

You know what I would love? An anthology type series. Every day a short story about some character in the wasteland. Sometimes having them intersect. But largely self contained. 

Yeah that could be great.

I mean if each series focussed more on a particular faction. Within that faction we see stories of individuals and how they relate to that faction. Something that might show us how a faction can be nefarious and bad for some but for others, it's their life and passion, maybe like BoS. You know like how Skyrim and in Fallout there's usually a divide in fans, usually politically on particular factions and their motives and the parallels that are drawn with real-world politics. In an anthology type setting, you could get short stories of people we as viewers can relate to and root for, but ultimately two different people on opposites sides of the Fallout "political spectrum." If that makes sense. For example, I was never a fan of the BoS. But I wouldn't mind if the series story focussed mainly on them for one season. 

And then one over-arching story to link each season would be nice. Perhaps The Institute in the final series. Say if it's a 5 series show.  We get first series on Fallout Shelter life and maybe settlements outside. Then a season about The Minutemen and their efforts to rebuild communities and make them self-sustainable, The BoS and their gathering of technology, 4th series about The Railroad and their social justice efforts to liberate synths and then The Institute which have been a mentioned from the start but are a complete mystery at the beginning. If one story tied each series together, it would be nice. Like GTA IV and EFLC. 

I do think it's plausible it would be an anthology per series. A bit like Fargo TV series.

make total destroy

lmao this sh*t is gonna be terrible

yqwcbDf.png

Uncle Sikee Atric
1 minute ago, make total destroy said:

If they start involving the alien story threads, god help us.

MOaRJRr.jpg

Mister Pink
8 hours ago, make total destroy said:

We don't know that yet. . It has good things going for it. Notably that it's Kilter Films that's producing it. They created Westworld. It's Christopher Nolan's brother, Jonathan Nolan.  He wrote the screenplay for The Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight, he wrote the original short story for Memento and he wrote Interstellar. 

His wife and writing-partner/producer/, Lisa Joy (a Harvard and Stanford alumna) has been nominated a few times for her writing in drama, notably Writers Guild of America and the Emmys. 

I think with writing, directing and producing a show like Westworld for HBO as well as Lisa Joy's history of nominations for writing from prestigious institutions, there's a good chance they can adapt Fallout in a decent way. Yeah, they could f*ck it up too, but I wouldn't laugh it off so quickly. 

Starting from the writing is the best place. We've seen game adaptations before and they invested in sh*t writers and big star names. Ahem, Max Payne, Assassin's Creed. It was a cash cow. You can have great unknown actors and sink money into the writing and production. Barely anyone knew James Gandolfini before The Sopranos but if you get great writing and great actors (doesn't matter if they are unknown) it will work. So I'm glad they are starting from the most important place. Seems like they are taking it seriously. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 2

Platypus92
5 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

they invested in sh*t writers and big star names. Ahem, Max Payne, Assassin's Creed.

5 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

Barely anyone knew James Gandolfini before The Sopranos

You're comparing movies to TV shows. For movies, you still need to convince the audience to purchase a movie ticket. That's why they use big names. Also, you only have 2-3 hours to tell the entire story.

Now, there's definitely some game worlds I'd love to see make it to live action, say, Mass Effect or something like that... but Fallout? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm not sure what they could do with it that's interesting or refreshing to be honest.

Mister Pink
1 minute ago, Platypus92 said:

You're comparing movies to TV shows. For movies, you still need to convince the audience to purchase a movie ticket. That's why they use big names. Also, you only have 2-3 hours to tell the entire story.

I get that and I appreciate where you are coming from, so to speak.  My point isn't to argue against the logic of using star actors to get bums on seats. My point is the argument in being cheap and reckless when hiring writers. And I won't accept having a limited time to tell a story as an argument for poor writing in films. People are able to write engaging successful films in 10, 15, and 30 minutes. Good writing is good writing regardless of the length of the story. Granted, I prefer series now because we have have extended character development. 

Fallout will be a series. And me making comparisons to writers for films and their screenwriters that are paid to do so, should be able to write for films. But they didn't hire acclaimed writers for those films. In the end whether it's screenwriting long-form or not, they hired writers for Max Payne with little and poor writing credits. This is a common thing for film adaptations of games. They skim on the writers and put the money into A-list actors like Mark Wahlberg and Michael Fassbender. 

Assassin's Creed has 18% rating on RT. It was made for about 125 million and it grossed about nearly twice that. It's a cash cow that people still paid to see because of the name and star pulling power of Fassbender. But why do you think it scored so low? 

Just look at one of the writers for Assassin's Creed. Look at the track-record. Bomb after bomb. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/bill_collage

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/adam_cooper_2

These men were hired, knowingly that their previous films are sh*te. What did they expect? I somehow doubt that giving these guys a series will improve up on their writing. People have been writing great films for almost century. 

The reason I used films as there's a history of bad game to cinema adaptations. And I'm convinced it's not because games make for bad film adaptations. It's just that most of them with perhaps the exception of The Witcher are cash cows designed by suits and marketing execs and not filmmakers. 

I'm just happy that for Fallout, they are starting at the most important thing. The writers. And these writers have chops. And coming from HBO, I doubt they were cheap. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

We don't know that yet. . It has good things going for it. Notably that it's Kilter Films that's producing it. They created Westworld. It's Christopher Nolan's brother, Jonathan Nolan.  He wrote the screenplay for The Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight, he wrote the original short story for Memento and he wrote Interstellar. 

His wife and writing-partner/producer/, Lisa Joy (a Harvard and Stanford alumna) has been nominated a few times for her writing in drama, notably Writers Guild of America and the Emmys. 

I think with writing, directing and producing a show like Westworld for HBO as well as Lisa Joy's history of nominations for writing from prestigious institutions, there's a good chance they can adapt Fallout in a decent way. Yeah, they could f*ck it up too, but I wouldn't laugh it off so quickly. 

Starting from the writing is the best place. We've seen game adaptations before and they invested in sh*t writers and big star names. Ahem, Max Payne, Assassin's Creed. It was a cash cow. You can have great unknown actors and sink money into the writing and production. Barely anyone knew James Gandolfini before The Sopranos but if you get great writing and great actors (doesn't matter if they are unknown) it will work. So I'm glad they are starting from the most important place. Seems like they are taking it seriously. 

He's also a gamer himself too. So he probably won't screw it up.

• Like 1

Aquamaniac

That's great news, I expected The 100 to be like Fallout but was disappointed for the most part, on the other hand there are lot of older postapokalyptic wasteland movies out there, I doubt if a modern Fallout show has the charme of the old times. Would be cool to see New Reno, my favorite location in the franchise.

Mister Pink
8 hours ago, Zello said:

He's also a gamer himself too. So he probably won't screw it up.

Brilliant. This was the missing piece of information I wanted to know. That is reassuring. 

Now, Nolan has experience directing Westworld, so he might get a writer/director/producer role. There are some benefits that if the creative idea is strong, the message comes from the writing right to the directing on the shooting days and there's continuity in the creative vision. But, if someone else was to direct, who would you go for? I think TV series usually have changing directors quite frequently. Think Steve Buscemi directed some of The Sopranos. In fact Steve Buscemi directed The Sopranos famous and fan-favourite "Pine Barrens" episode. 

I doubt Nolan or Joy will direct all episodes but if Amazon wanted to splash the cash, I would love for Denis Villeneuve or David Fincher. If they go for darkness, drama and dialogue, Fincher would be perfect. He's so good at doing dark subject matter. And I expect Fallout, to be a bit dark, especially seeing as the Wasteland is such a deathly place. 

Jonathon Nolan's a pretty underrated talent IMO. Westworld is a great example of his work, but Person of Interest is perhaps the best example. His work always tends to have some fantastic world building and layers to it that unravel in interesting ways over seasons, or hours in the case of his film work.

As said before, he's also a big fan of games and has a far better understanding than most writers about what makes games fun and how to translate that to TV/film, which is often the big challenge. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the world to make it an interesting TV show long term, beyond the simple surviving the wasteland trope they'll be basing the show on.

• Like 1

TheSantader25

Nope. I've always said: Games can't be movies(tv shows) and movies can't be games. That's how I see it. They can be sources of inspiration for each other though. But instead of that we keep seeing them trying to copy from one another and try to replicate a world they can't. I know many people disagree with this but that's just how I see it. 

Edited by TheSantader25

1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

Nope. I've always said: Games can't be movies(tv shows) and movies can't be games. That's how I see it. They can be sources of inspiration for each other though. But instead of that we keep seeing them trying to copy from one another and try to replicate a world they can't. I know many people disagree with this but that's just how I see it. 

I agree with you in large parts, and I also believe that some games simply cannot be made into a TV show or a film, such as Grand Theft Auto.

I do think however that there are video games that can be moved into another medium, but it can't be a straight 1:1 port of the story and characters. For example, I think you could make an amazing Mass Effect series but that series must have nothing to do with Shepherd or any of the games plot, but a show set in that world? Absolutely.

• Like 1

Halal Cyborg

Person of Interest and Memento dude doing it?

nice!!

join the friendly player revolution and head over to WWW.FPGL-CREW.COM to experience the wonder of lobby cooperation:)

• 1 year later...

Good news is Fallout TV series will go into production this year! Probably during the summer months. so, we may expect a release maybe the following September '23 or even earlier like this time next year, if I'm being very optimistic. 

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/7/22871637/amazon-fallout-tv-show-prime-video-series-production

On one hand Jonah Nolan being involved is potentially interesting, he's a genuine fan of games and has a very solid track record for the most part, tho I've heard Westworld went to sh*t after s1 but his work with his brother + Person of Interest has been great.

On the other hand Fallout is a bloody difficult game to convert into a show. You're playing a lone wanderer who has maybe one or two people with him/her at most and that's gonna be hard to convert to TV. I can see the show ending up revolving around a settlement, which is not really what Fallout the game is about. Then you have all the alternate universe stuff, the vaults, the experiments, mutants, etc., all stuff which is spooky to TV show makers but at home in games.

Yeah, although I never finished Westworld, I really enjoyed it. I must get back to it. My gf wasn't interested in it, so I didn't continue with it. 

I'm glad he's a gamer too. At least I hope he's thinking about the transition of story telling from game to film and he has the skills and tools to realise those concepts. I think this is probably the best thing about it for me. 

I wouldn't mind some story akin to Fallout 3. Certainly having that moment that Howard describes as having that "step-out moment." I'd actually like some real drama within the vaults for a 2-3 episodes or even more.  During this time you can introduce characters, concepts and build suspense for the step-out moment.  Build the lore of wasteland in the vault. Build hype and suspense for the outside world. Take the viewer on the ride that a kid born into a vault has no experience in the outside world. The only experience is academic. It's classroom stuff. I'd like to see some Metro-style tales of the world before the bomb dropped. Postcards of paradise. 

I loved that in 3 that you really live in the vault and get a sense of life there. Birthdays, bullies, parenting, family loss (really humane and life things but contained within the vault).. it's really remarkable. But none of that really compares to pain and hardship of the wasteland. I think a parallel of Covid poltics and vault politics can be made. Would you rather live in a safe and sterile metal vault under the view of the Overseer (getting the jab and being safe but in a more controlled environment) or have freedom of "living free" in the wasteland (not taking the jab but having the freedom to die and be murdered by raiders or killed by mutants). I think there is a good metaphor there can can be explored

Imagine seeing some panoramic views of the wasteland, like the post-apocalyptic scenes from Terminator 2 mixed with the dangers of mutants and mutated insects for the first time in 4K with a beautiful colour grade - even the colour pallet of 3 would be nice for me for the wasteland.  Those greenish hues are nice and moody. 

There is so much content of the Fallout worlds and so many angles Nolan and team can run with. I just hope it's something to my taste. I guess the essence of Fallout is different for different people. I can see it being an adventure series, travelling across the wasteland in search of someone and coming up against lots of dangers along the way and meeting characters that will takes us to other places. Actually, now that I think of it, the closest films I can think of that might represent what Fallout could be like in a sense are the A Quiet Place films. Both films are excellent, and highly rated. You have a the post-apocalyptic setting and crossing the wasteland is huge risk because of the sound sensitive monsters. There are settlements, lone-rangers and nefarious people out there in the wastelands. I'd actually highly recommend those films for any fan of Fallout that wants something suspenseful set in a post-apocalyptic environment. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_quiet_place_2018

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_quiet_place_part_ii

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/a-quiet-place

Mexicola9302

Well with Jonathan Nolan, that series might actually be watchable, we will see in a year or two.

But it must be a really serious series, i mean i wanna see suffering, gore and all that, totally f*cked up ppl that kill for food etc. it must go at least in the direction of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, not the newer titles. The newer ones are way too friendly somehow, compared to 3 and NV.

Im pretty sure the BoS, the Enclave etc. will be a thing in the series, funny if you think about it, seeing that in a tv show. Wow and the robots, and mutated animals and insects and all that, the radiated areas, they probably even use radaway and rad-x and stimpaks and stuff. It could be fun and serious at the same time. f*ck yeah i wanna see a Deathclaw in a TV show. :D 

• excuseme 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

CPU: i7-4930K @ 4,2 GHZ Level 3 Cache: 12MB (6 Cores)
GPU: 2x SLI Asus ROG Strix GTX1070-O8G-Gaming 8GB DDR5 V-RAM (MSI SLI HB Bridge)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHZ (Quad Channel)
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
Mainboard: ASRock X79 Extreme 4
Harddrive: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (Rapid Mode Activated)
Powersupply: be quiet! POWER ZONE 850W

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/8/2022 at 10:30 PM, Mexicola9302 said:

But it must be a really serious series, i mean i wanna see suffering, gore and all that, totally f*cked up ppl that kill for food etc. it must go at least in the direction of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, not the newer titles. The newer ones are way too friendly somehow, compared to 3 and NV.

Yes, I do hope it's very adult themed because the gore, the mutants and the drug addiction in the game I think are really important. They are really symptomatic of a society in absolute chaos.

And while I agree with you on it being based on New Vegas and/or Fallout 3, I think Fallout 4 is just as gritty but it's a real testament to the power of what we call in the film industry as "colour grading." In Fallout's case, you might call it a "filter." Fallout 4 is a bit realistic in that it doesn't go for a stylish colour tone or colour grade. 

Fallout 4's look eventually really grew on me, and I think the game is really beautiful, detailed and has lovely textures. But it got a lot of stick for not being a huge leap. But I think it still looks great. But the colours of New Vegas and Fallout 3 give it a special feel. It's a mood. It's a vibe, as the kids say. Aesthetic as the kid's kids say. 

fallout-3-a.jpg

fallout-4-randompic-1.jpg?fit=1280,720&s

I'm also in favour of tasteful CGI. There there is a choice between unconvincing CGI and suggestibility, I'd go with suggestibility every time. But even some comical stop motion or deliberately animated "special effects" might actually do justice in that that tongue-in-cheek, humour that permeates Fallout in general. 

On 1/8/2022 at 11:30 PM, Mexicola9302 said:

The newer ones are way too friendly somehow, compared to 3 and NV.

Spoiler

UgcZz2h.png

MeagerGargantuanBlacklab-size_restricted

Here some fanmade fallout "movies".

Just to get into the mood a bit lol.

The amazon series isn't even in production yet i think. It will be released in 2023 i think.

• Like 1

CPU: i7-4930K @ 4,2 GHZ Level 3 Cache: 12MB (6 Cores)
GPU: 2x SLI Asus ROG Strix GTX1070-O8G-Gaming 8GB DDR5 V-RAM (MSI SLI HB Bridge)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHZ (Quad Channel)
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
Mainboard: ASRock X79 Extreme 4
Harddrive: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (Rapid Mode Activated)
Powersupply: be quiet! POWER ZONE 850W

On 7/10/2020 at 7:15 AM, Halal Cyborg said:

Person of Interest and Memento dude doing it?

nice!!

I was so traumatized by Preston,

I read:

Preston instead of" Person of interest

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Look who's playing a Ghoul in Fallout Tv

hint: seen in Justified.

080aa5cc7464a11c225321745fc496da.jpg

Edited by Failed Again

My optimism for the show has went up with that news. I was concerned a lot of the Fallout-y stuff would be rare, and they'd try and sorta mythicise it in the world, for budget reasons, but a ghoul as a lead member of the cast gives me a lot more hope that they're gonna do alright by the lore.

Which one do you think he will play?

Kent Connolly

Oswald the Outrageous

John Hancock

Edward Deacon

Tommy Lonegan

Edward Winter

John ..Maybe

latest?cb=20151210213543&ehk=uUc%2BYQ%2B

or Kent Connolly..doubt .

Image result for kent connoly

Most likely the one from the crime underworld

Edward Winter

See the source image

Edited by Failed Again

The problem with trying to convert video games into TV and movies is that an element essential to the property's popularity is missing...

...the actual playing it.

Generally speaking, I think games translate best to TV, though there are some games that could translate to a movie. Uncharted is one as we've seen, no idea if the film is good mind you, but even if not there's no reason why it still can't be.

Bigger stuff, open world, longer stories, like Fallout, I think are best suited to TV. Fallout can absolutely work as a TV show but if it wants any success it can't adapt a game (and I don't think it is), it needs to be an adaption of the world. Tell an original story set in the Fallout world and see where it goes.

Above all else though they simply have to embrace the lore and setting cause more than anything, that's Fallout's main character.