3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTA Magazines

So I recently shared an image of an old PS2 magazine on Twitter, featuring a Vice City guide. And I got a couple of requests to share some images or post it here. I was recommended to start a thread where anyone is free to share photos or images of any old Grand Theft Auto magazine articles they may have. Think of it as an archive, or historical library.

Powerstation Vice City Guide Part 1 (sadly I only have part 1) - Close ups

And a recent find, as a bonus!

Games Master May 2008 - GTA IV Preview

Edited by Len Lfc

Thanks for posting them @Len Lfc I was reading through the pages, wow a lot of info for VC and it has Beta Tommy! Those IV screens just make me remember the good ol times of Multiplayer in IV.

• Like 3

May I take the chance to recommend that if anyone has any magazines that they scan it and upload it to Archive.org if that's okay? Preservation reasons and all.

Sadly throughout my GTA Life I never really had the opportunity to purchases magazines, I can only recall of having two with one long gone and the other I still have but in storage somewhere, the one I still have is recent-ish but a couple of years old. it is Gameinformer #236 and I believe released sometime in late 2012 - early 2013 focusing on Grand theft auto V before it's official release. 

The other one that is long gone I got sometime in my childhood, I don't remember the publisher but I had it sometime between 2004 and 2006, it contained a section with maybe a few beta screenshots of San Andreas and a section on GTA Vice city including some cheat codes, one of the cheat codes was for a character skin change. For the San Andreas page I believe on the right hand side of the page an artwork of the savanna was used but I can't remember as my memory is very fuzzy.  Maybe if someone knows the magazine I'm talking about or remembers its details posting it here would be appreciated. 

I can't remember if the lost magazine focused entirely on GTA but those sections are what stuck out the most for me. 

Just now, ArkianHue said:

Really good stuff right there!

Any chance we can see the screenshots in high quality or at least zoomed at.😊

Yeah, I can try. As far as I'm aware, they're retail versions of the game. Or so I've been told by someone I trust.

2 minutes ago, Len Lfc said:

Yeah, I can try. As far as I'm aware, they're retail versions of the game. Or so I've been told by someone I trust.

Even if it's retail, we MAY have a chance of spotting some things that are somewhat different.

I've been wanting to get into collecting GTA or any type of R* mags for the longest time but f*ck theyre expensive on evilbay. I for sure owned The Gameinformer world premiere for SA, Midnight club 3,  the GTA IV with Niko wielding the shotgun and also a Cheat magazine that had all the San Andreas cheats. But that was around 2006 to 2010. Back then I didnt really care for that media, looking back I was an idiot for losing the mags or throwing them away. Funny enough I did save some OXM mags but for different games. For real though,  I think as a community we should upload and archive these mags just to appreciate our games but also these mags are now defunct. They have a lot of good snippets of info and beta screenshots.

• Like 3

Here's my contribution, PSM2 magazine from October 2002. Already posted in VC Beta topic but worth a post here. Worth noting that these mags are relatively inexpensive on eBay.

Bought two PSM2 magazines from around the time of VC's launch, the first was simply speculation but the second contained a bunch of early screenshots and an interview with Rockstar. Some of it's old, hopefully some of it's new. I've uploaded the scans to Flickr so if anyone wants to fully check them out feel free, note that some pages have two scans simply because my scanner is A4 and the magazine is slightly larger than A4 so I had to scan them twice to get text on both sides of the page there.

94394253_235272264227762_877780523614522

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157714009373862

I've also isolated pretty much all of the images from the magazine and uploaded them separately. 34 in total, will put them in the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg
Untitled-6.jpg
Untitled-7.jpg
Untitled-8.jpg
Untitled-9.jpg
Untitled-10.jpg
untitled-11.jpg
Untitled-12.jpg
untitled-13.jpg
Untitled-14.jpg
Untitled-15.jpg
Untitled-16.jpg
Untitled-17.jpg
Untitled-18.jpg
untitled-20.jpg
untitled-21.jpg
untitled-22.jpg
Untitled-23.jpg
untitled-24.jpg
untitled-25.jpg
Untitled-26.jpg
Untitled-27.jpg
Untitled-28.jpg
untitled-29.jpg
untitled-30.jpg
untitled-31.jpg
untitled-32.jpg
untitled-33.jpg
untitled-34.jpg
Untitled-35.jpg

uG7G4sr.jpg

Edited by Blaze
  • Like 6

Something that piqued my interest was spotting this on eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

"Over 2 hours of exclusives" for VC and "Unseen action from BEFORE the game begins" for SA - I guess the SA one refers to The Introduction but the VC one sounds promising.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Blaze said:

Something that piqued my interest was spotting this on eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

"Over 2 hours of exclusives" for VC and "Unseen action from BEFORE the game begins" for SA - I guess the SA one refers to The Introduction but the VC one sounds promising.

Are you sure?

Let us see, hopefully it'll be something new, not things we've already seen (renders, animations, motion capture) that are on youtube.😀

More than likely it would be the introduction. At the time that small short film( lol short film)  wasnt really known among the gaming community so it could be it. Plus I think @Blaze you should get bold and ask the seller to give you a small detailed glimpse of what the dvd is about lol. I would buy them if it were only the VC and SA ones.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:24 PM, Blaze said:

Here's my contribution, PSM2 magazine from October 2002. Already posted in VC Beta topic but worth a post here. Worth noting that these mags are relatively inexpensive on eBay.

Bought two PSM2 magazines from around the time of VC's launch, the first was simply speculation but the second contained a bunch of early screenshots and an interview with Rockstar. Some of it's old, hopefully some of it's new. I've uploaded the scans to Flickr so if anyone wants to fully check them out feel free, note that some pages have two scans simply because my scanner is A4 and the magazine is slightly larger than A4 so I had to scan them twice to get text on both sides of the page there.

94394253_235272264227762_877780523614522

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157714009373862

I've also isolated pretty much all of the images from the magazine and uploaded them separately. 34 in total, will put them in the spoiler tag below.

Reveal hidden contents

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg
Untitled-6.jpg
Untitled-7.jpg
Untitled-8.jpg
Untitled-9.jpg
Untitled-10.jpg
untitled-11.jpg
Untitled-12.jpg
untitled-13.jpg
Untitled-14.jpg
Untitled-15.jpg
Untitled-16.jpg
Untitled-17.jpg
Untitled-18.jpg
untitled-20.jpg
untitled-21.jpg
untitled-22.jpg
Untitled-23.jpg
untitled-24.jpg
untitled-25.jpg
Untitled-26.jpg
Untitled-27.jpg
Untitled-28.jpg
untitled-29.jpg
untitled-30.jpg
untitled-31.jpg
untitled-32.jpg
untitled-33.jpg
untitled-34.jpg
Untitled-35.jpg

uG7G4sr.jpg

Holy f*ck. I literally just mentioned this very article from this very magazine in the GTA 6 thread. This was the first time I ever laid eyes on Vice City - seeing that image of Tommy sitting on the Freeway for the first time had me in complete awe, I'll always remember that. Thanks for this man. 

Edited by Dark Rosewood Varnish
  • Like 3
  • 7 months later...
5 hours ago, nob said:

Official PlayStation 2 Magazine (UK) #10, Aug 2001

Interviewing: Sam Houser

Cool detail, in this. He lists Small Faces as one of his favourite bands. What was the track for the GTA V Announcement trailer? Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake by Small Faces.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Here is some GTA magazine scans from my collection:

PC Gamer (US) 2003-05

-Jw8gj8uB5Q.jpg

PC Action (Germany) 2000-09

RPpgIaNh-ts.jpg

Also you can find lots of magazines about the unreleased GTA games, such as: GTA 64 for Nintendo 64, GTA 2.5: Vice City, GTA for the Sega Saturn and some others, here:

Edited by Adrian90

archive.org has a large collection ('000s) of gaming magazines https://archive.org/details/gamemagazines?&sort=-week&page=2

that are searchable. You can even pull images directly out of the reader with a right click, OPS2%20%23061_0076.jp2&id=ops2061&scale=

This was news to me, though, it probably shouldn't have been!

Edited by nob
  • Like 3