Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Enhanced GTA V coming to PS5 in 2021


Kirsty

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Cheatz/Trickz said:

It’s not only GTA V I noticed this with either, I played Red Dead 1 in 4k and yeah it looks nice and crispy but it’s not supposed to be displayed that sharply, and a bit of atmosphere and character is lost, things look unnaturally sharp for the graphics of the game. 

I think, that it's some sort of nostalgia. Old version just brings you memories of playing it for first time etc, not any superiority or something. You could also say, that you prefer original VHS version of some old movie but does it make it superior in any way compared to new Blu-ray release? Hell no. Personally I have Xbox 360 and PC version and I would never like to go back playing version, that I was playing for 2 years before PC version was released and now I look forward to see new E&E version, current version looks really outdated by now. Keep also in mind, that artists often use some cheap performance-wise effects to mask some technical limitations, not because it was their vision. It's like makeup, it won't make anyone really "prettier" but it will mask some imperfections.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheatz/Trickz
37 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

I think, that it's some sort of nostalgia. Old version just brings you memories of playing it for first time etc, not any superiority or something. You could also say, that you prefer original VHS version of some old movie but does it make it superior in any way compared to new Blu-ray release? Hell no. Personally I have Xbox 360 and PC version and I would never like to go back playing version, that I was playing for 2 years before PC version was released and now I look forward to see new E&E version, current version looks really outdated by now. Keep also in mind, that artists often use some cheap performance-wise effects to mask some technical limitations, not because it was their vision. It's like makeup, it won't make anyone really "prettier" but it will mask some imperfections.

 

No, because i've said that the remaster is objectively sharper and of a superior fidelity, but it doesn't look as good because it distinctly lacks the clarity and "pop" of the lighting of old gen, they overhauled the lighting in the remaster and it almost looks like one of those graphics mods you see online, which are completely sterile and soulless despite having more fidelity. 

 

It's a less is more kind of deal with old gen. The remaster and PC version have been improved to a fault, they look too clean, the city looks fake and not lived-in as a result. It looks like the outdoor sets in Friends which are clearly not outside. Character models are overly defined, to the point that they look almost like cartoons, tree models are static and lifeless, even the gun flash effects are less prominent reducing the intensity of gunshots. Seriously, compare the flash in old gen to the remaster.

 

In old gen, the art style and lighting harks back to GTA IV or Max Payne 3. A similar thing occurred with TBOGT, in which they removed the blur filter and made the image objectively cleaner and sharper, then amped up the colours, but it was to the detriment of the atmosphere because Liberty City didn't look quite as real as it did in the main game as a result. It took me about two years and two full replays of old gen recently as well as setting up two monitors to compare the versions to actually notice any of this and be sure I wasn't just seeing things.

 

1 hour ago, GinsengElixir said:

 

Can you expand on what you mean by atmosphere?

 

I've played huge amounts of GTAV on Xbox360, a smaller amount on ps4pro. I have the game on X1X but never really got round to playing it, so not sure what the differences really are.

 

How is the atmosphere worse on PC - and can that be sorted with mods? I was looking it replaying on PC with mods, but also thought about a playthrough on X1X...

 

I think I answered above, but it mainly has to do with the lighting. It's very sterile looking in the remaster and almost too cleaned up.

Edited by Cheatz/Trickz
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cheatz/Trickz said:

I was never swayed by the obsession with 60 plus FPS either, the lower FPS feels more cinematic, somehow, at least for these older gen titles. 

I'm not sure if you know this but what we call now "cinematic" is nothing but a remainder of very old technical limitations. It's not like someone ever wanted to capture movies in 24 FPS, it's how it had to be. Also there is other thing you need to consider, 30 FPS on CRT screens looked different than 30 FPS on LCD screens.

Edited by Kris194
Link to post
Share on other sites
GinsengElixir
18 minutes ago, Cheatz/Trickz said:

 

No, because i've said that the remaster is objectively sharper and of a superior fidelity, but it doesn't look as good because it distinctly lacks the clarity and "pop" of the lighting of old gen, they overhauled the lighting in the remaster and it almost looks like one of those graphics mods you see online, which are completely sterile and soulless despite having more fidelity. 

 

It's a less is more kind of deal with old gen. The remaster and PC version have been improved to a fault, they look too clean, the city looks fake and not lived-in as a result. It looks like the outdoor sets in Friends which are clearly not outside. Character models are overly defined, to the point that they look almost like cartoons, tree models are static and lifeless, even the gun flash effects are less prominent reducing the intensity of gunshots. Seriously, compare the flash in old gen to the remaster.

 

In old gen, the art style and lighting harks back to GTA IV or Max Payne 3. A similar thing occurred with TBOGT, in which they removed the blur filter and made the image objectively cleaner and sharper, then amped up the colours, but it was to the detriment of the atmosphere because Liberty City didn't look quite as real as it did in the main game as a result. It took me about two years and two full replays of old gen recently as well as setting up two monitors to compare the versions to actually notice any of this and be sure I wasn't just seeing things.

 

 

I think I answered above, but it mainly has to do with the lighting. It's very sterile looking in the remaster and almost too cleaned up.

 

Ah, yeah that may be the case. I was thinking in terms of world liveliness. For example in RDR2 patch 1.00 - the world somehow feels more alive, more wildlife spawn and possibly npc count in comparison to later patches. It may be subjective though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheatz/Trickz
15 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

I'm not sure if you know this but what we call now "cinematic" is nothing but a remainder of very old technical limitations. It's not like someone ever wanted to capture movies in 24 FPS, it's how it had to be. Also there is other thing you need to consider, 30 FPS on CRT screens looked different than 30 FPS on LCD screens.

 

Regardless of the whys and hows, movies being shot in 24 FPS and us becoming attuned to that over decades, is most likely the reason for 30 FPS games evoking this cinematic quality.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Cheatz/Trickz said:

 

Regardless of the whys and hows, movies being shot in 24 FPS and us becoming attuned to that over decades, is most likely the reason for 30 FPS games evoking this cinematic quality.  


What I noticed personally is that, some games are built with lower FPS in mind e.g Saints Row The Third can't have functional cutscenes without the FPS lock but recently they removed it on the remaster and it feels weird for me. This is also the case with GTA V, it feels like it was never designed for 60 fps and appear.....artificial on PC for me.

But games like Overwatch, Dota 2 or Injustice 2, they all had planned PC versions with 60 fps in mind and boy do they look better on higher FPS rather than low.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheatz/Trickz
8 minutes ago, Ryo256 said:


What I noticed personally is that, some games are built with lower FPS in mind e.g Saints Row The Third can't have functional cutscenes without the FPS lock but recently they removed it on the remaster and it feels weird for me. This is also the case with GTA V, it feels like it was never designed for 60 fps and appear.....artificial on PC for me.

But games like Overwatch, Dota 2 or Injustice 2, they all had planned PC versions with 60 fps in mind and boy do they look better on higher FPS rather than low.

 

I haven't played that SR3 remaster or those others, but yeah I can imagine it is off for SR3 because the GTA V remaster is not the only one to exhibit these "problems". Artificial is exactly the word for it.

 

Games i've played that were designed at 60 FPS, like the recent Resident Evil remakes, or MGS2 (going back a bit there) feel fine. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryo256 said:


What I noticed personally is that, some games are built with lower FPS in mind e.g Saints Row The Third can't have functional cutscenes without the FPS lock but recently they removed it on the remaster and it feels weird for me. This is also the case with GTA V, it feels like it was never designed for 60 fps and appear.....artificial on PC for me.

But games like Overwatch, Dota 2 or Injustice 2, they all had planned PC versions with 60 fps in mind and boy do they look better on higher FPS rather than low.

And again it's nothing but personal preference because GTA V doesn't have any issues with 60 FPS+ and it is even better at 120 FPS. 30 FPS is nothing but compromise between visual fidelity and smoothness because of technical limitations.

 

 

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kris194 said:

I think, that it's some sort of nostalgia. Old version just brings you memories of playing it for first time etc, not any superiority or something. You could also say, that you prefer original VHS version of some old movie but does it make it superior in any way compared to new Blu-ray release? Hell no. Personally I have Xbox 360 and PC version and I would never like to go back playing version, that I was playing for 2 years before PC version was released and now I look forward to see new E&E version, current version looks really outdated by now. Keep also in mind, that artists often use some cheap performance-wise effects to mask some technical limitations, not because it was their vision. It's like makeup, it won't make anyone really "prettier" but it will mask some imperfections.

Quickly flip between these 2 images and you'll notice how much duller the NG version looks.

 

my3TXbT.jpg

3vLCb9g.jpg

 

Just one screenshot and you can already see some weird f*cking design choices. The colors are far less saturated than before, the lovely pink flowers in the background have been replaced with dying bushes, a low poly tree covered in chromatic aberration is creeping into the top left corner. And then there's the headache inducing blue lens flares you see everywhere you look at night. Even crashing your car into a train isn't fun because they completely downgraded vehicle deformation. I wish someone with access to a proper capture card could sit down for a couple days and do a real comparison between both versions. It's pretty eye opening once you sit down and start comparing the two side by side.

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheatz/Trickz
2 hours ago, Kris194 said:

And again it's nothing but personal preference because GTA V doesn't have any issues with 60 FPS+ and it is even better at 120 FPS. 30 FPS is nothing but compromise between visual fidelity and smoothness because of technical limitations.


 

Lol I wouldn’t even wanna go near 120 FPS. 30 will always be better for that cinematic feel

3 minutes ago, D T said:

Quickly flip between these 2 images and you'll notice how much duller the NG version looks.

 

my3TXbT.jpg

3vLCb9g.jpg

 

Just one screenshot and you can already see some weird f*cking design choices. The colors are far less saturated than before, the lovely pink flowers in the background have been replaced with dying bushes, a low poly tree covered in chromatic aberration is creeping into the top left corner. And then there's the headache inducing blue lens flares you see everywhere you look at night. Even crashing your car into a train isn't fun because they completely downgraded vehicle deformation. I wish someone with access to a proper capture card could sit down for a couple days and do a real comparison between both versions. It's pretty eye opening once you sit down and start comparing the two side by side.


Yeah that’s a good shot. Last gen pops way more. Next gen (or PC) looks really flat and bland in comparison. Also look how much nicer the sunlight is hitting Trevor’s face. 

 

I said before once you see it it cannot be unseen. You will prefer last gen if once the difference clicks. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kris194 said:

I think, that it's some sort of nostalgia. Old version just brings you memories of playing it for first time etc, not any superiority or something. You could also say, that you prefer original VHS version of some old movie but does it make it superior in any way compared to new Blu-ray release? Hell no. Personally I have Xbox 360 and PC version and I would never like to go back playing version, that I was playing for 2 years before PC version was released and now I look forward to see new E&E version, current version looks really outdated by now. Keep also in mind, that artists often use some cheap performance-wise effects to mask some technical limitations, not because it was their vision. It's like makeup, it won't make anyone really "prettier" but it will mask some imperfections.

Yeah, I can agree with everything to a point. But like someone else said, there are mods to restore the timecyc files, lens flare, tree textures and color etc. (Shout out to VisualVanilla)

 

But to blame higher resolution and say "these games aren't meant to be viewed like this" is one of the craziest things I've ever heard.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2021 at 11:50 AM, Kris194 said:

I'm not sure if you know this but what we call now "cinematic" is nothing but a remainder of very old technical limitations. It's not like someone ever wanted to capture movies in 24 FPS, it's how it had to be. Also there is other thing you need to consider, 30 FPS on CRT screens looked different than 30 FPS on LCD screens.

 

Not exactly, but you have got one thing almost right.

 

The 24fps (23.9 aprox) and the so called "cinematic feel" is just the closest thing to our eye perception, but only because of a second requirement: each of those frames are shot or emulated with a shutter speed double the frame rate = 1/48 of a second (which most games use anyways). Most use 30fps with a higher shutter speed design.

 

That motion perception is equally achievable at 60fps only if the designed, imagined and emulated shutter speed in a game game would be 1/120 of a second. But that's not the case. Modern games frames are rock solid images (Example: 1/2000+) with no motion blur or other kind artifacts. With the result being perfect in terms of image quality but not fit for a story based game, in which the "cinematic feel" is a must for some people that understand image related things.

 

And the thing you almost got right, it's not exactly a "reminder of very old technical limitations", but a reminder of the cost and value of film in that time. 24fps was the cheapest it could cost you to get a perfect filmic motion. And so it was more of a budget limitation.

 

EDIT: It's not "how it had to be". 24fps is the film and filmic tv series standard in 2021

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Irisframe
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
IndianaLiam1
On 2/21/2021 at 4:30 AM, Cheatz/Trickz said:

Also I don't know what you mean by shi*ty flashy cars

 

I was making fun of the most recent cars they keep adding, like who wants these fugly ass hypercars that have increasing amounts of splitters?

On 2/21/2021 at 4:30 AM, Cheatz/Trickz said:

I seriously urge anyone put off by the remastered version of V to revisit the last gen game. 

On console.

I extremely urge you to check Alex106's page on GTA5-Mods.com, as that shows the best old gen mods I've seen, because pretty much all the sh*t he's done are PORTS from the original versions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IndianaLiam1

One thing that I haven't seen a change for afaik is the sound quality, but who's gonna get mad over audio quality?

Link to post
Share on other sites
IndianaLiam1
On 2/21/2021 at 3:45 PM, Cheatz/Trickz said:

30 will always be better for that cinematic feel

 

I'm done f*cking arguing with you, it's like trying to talk to Nolan Stross.

  • KEKW 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
TheJesus1996

New State of Play this Thursday! 

It's basically a continuation of last June's announcements, I think there's a high chance of more info about next gen GTA V...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheJesus1996 said:

It's basically a continuation of last June's announcements, I think there's a high chance of more info about next gen GTA V...

Keep in mind there was a state of play in August last year, but lets hope there will be more info on the new version of GTA V

 

  • fir thi bairns 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Doctor-Anarchy 🇬🇧

So basically, PS3/360/PS4/Xbox1 we were "beta" testers? And, PS5/XBSX get the definitive edition? Was the PS5 version planned along? 🤣 

  • Like 1
  • KEKW 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
kubon352
3 hours ago, Doctor-Anarchy 🇬🇧 said:

So basically, PS3/360/PS4/Xbox1 we were "beta" testers? And, PS5/XBSX get the definitive edition? Was the PS5 version planned along? 🤣 

What if GTA V also comes to PS6 and XS II ? :kekw:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc

Allegedly, we'll see GT AV E&E tomorrow

Quote

So based on some reliable sources I know on Discord, this is what the 10 games/updates are tomorrow...

Destruction AllStars roadmap
Godfall DLC
Oddworld Soulstorm
Friday Night at Freddy's
GTAV PS5
Goodbye Volcano High
Among Us
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
ending on Hades

Pretty hype huh? All of that packed into 30 minutes. Quite the feat.

Resetera

Edited by Len Lfc
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc

Yeah, saw that. Still heard that GTA V will be show, though. Grain of salt, as usual though.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kernel

Well I sure as hell f*cking hope we hear something about E&E. With actual PS5 footage please....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Western Gunslinger

Oh yeah, I'm sure is hyped for the re-release of a 7 year old game, surely they will add anything significant right? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 8 Users Currently Viewing
    1 member, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests

    • DruGun
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.