3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Gas?

DJCHRISRECTOR

I do not want gas but I do want more interactivity with Gas stations/convenience stores.  We need the shady people that hang out around there and might give you some drugs with some funny side effects or the gas station clerk selling synthetic drugs on the side. I want scratch off lottery tickets from CTW to come back. I want the homeless people that stand outside all day beginning you for change. I want the guy who sells bootleg dvds/cds/jewelry out of his car. I want random fights to start with NPCs fighting each other or random robberies. I want to see a random gang pull up with dirtbikes or motorcycles.

Edited by Zello

Racecarlock
22 hours ago, Zello said:

I do not want gas but I do want more interactivity with Gas stations/convenience stores.  We need the shady people that hang out around there and might give you some drugs with some funny side effects or the gas station clerk selling synthetic drugs on the side. I want scratch off lottery tickets from CTW to come back. I want the homeless people that stand outside all day beginning you for change. I want the guy who sells bootleg dvds/cds/jewelry out of his car. I want random fights to start with NPCs fighting each other or random robberies. I want to see a random gang pull up with dirtbikes or motorcycles.

I think it would be cool if you could take the pump itself, spray it everywhere, then set everything on fire. Now THAT would be an interesting way to use gas. Plus, part of the coding's already there from the jerry can and fuel tank punctures, just make it so the player can pick up the pump and that the pump emits gas and you've got improvised flamethrowers in your game.

On 3/5/2021 at 9:31 PM, Racecarlock said:

I think it would be cool if you could take the pump itself, spray it everywhere, then set everything on fire. Now THAT would be an interesting way to use gas. Plus, part of the coding's already there from the jerry can and fuel tank punctures, just make it so the player can pick up the pump and that the pump emits gas and you've got improvised flamethrowers in your game.

How about being able to make your own molotovs like in CTW?

Racecarlock
44 minutes ago, Zello said:

How about being able to make your own molotovs like in CTW?

That too.

We need old gas station hot dogs that will either make our protagonist sick or give them an iron stomach, a strength boost, and make them invincible.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 1
  • YEE 1

Racecarlock
On 3/11/2021 at 10:08 AM, t-p-d-a said:

Yes and limited rockets for Jets and Tanks

I feel like you don't understand the concept of "Having fun blowing stuff up". This isn't a simulator, unlimited vehicle ammo makes the game more fun.

t-p-d-a
21 hours ago, Racecarlock said:

I feel like you don't understand the concept of "Having fun blowing stuff up". This isn't a simulator, unlimited vehicle ammo makes the game more fun.

Every Tank in GTA 2 has 20 Rockets. That's it and i still have fun. RDR2 has limited Explosion ammo.. still makes fun. And GTA Online needs balancing! And Jets need limited rockets!

Just-Chippin
On 3/6/2021 at 2:31 AM, Racecarlock said:

This is the type of detail we need friends. Simple additions that greatly expand gameplay.

Copcaller

Leave gas filled cars to mafia however I wouldn't mind s hardcore mode so to speak where you have to fill your tank up. Overall I'd prefer gas stations be used for crafting molotovs and refilling your jerry can. 

It's a feature that may sound cool at first but then 30 minutes later, when the gas filter goes low several times, it will become very tedious. At first I even thought of this idea to be cool and intriguing, but when I added the gas mod in V, I instantly deleted it a couple days later. 

Edit: I'm all for realism in video games, but this is just a tedious task that will become extremely boring.

Edited by EliteGamer_6

GYRXkih.jpg?1

Since Trevor drinks gas it was a missed opportunity in V to be able to give him the ability to drink gas straight from the pump or at least make it one of his many crazy switch animations.

Don't give R* ideas.

No one can imagine prices they put on gas staion in online. And imagine these lanes of car waiting for gas and be destroyed by weaponized motorcycle.

And planes or tanks, you will be broke by minute driving it :D .

oCrapaCreeper

Gas isn't a bad idea but the question with these kinds of features is how do you make it so it's not annoying, but also feel like it actually matters to the gameplay? Managing gas could either feel like a chore, or being so easy to do it doesn't add anything and might as well not be there. It can be hard to find balance.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Racecarlock
2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Gas isn't a bad idea but the question with these kinds of features is how do you make it so it's not annoying, but also feel like it actually matters to the gameplay? Managing gas could either feel like a chore, or being so easy to do it doesn't add anything and might as well not be there. It can be hard to find balance.

I'm not sure there is a balance, because no matter when it happens, I'm sure most people won't appreciate having to stop what they're doing and wait for a gas meter to fill up.

Thomas Cavendish
20 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

18 hours ago, Racecarlock said:

I'm not sure there is a balance, because no matter when it happens, I'm sure most people won't appreciate having to stop what they're doing and wait for a gas meter to fill up.

Maybe it will be like feeding the horse in RDR2.
it's is hard to become a real problem, but it is there.

Racecarlock
6 hours ago, Thomas Cavendish said:

Maybe it will be like feeding the horse in RDR2.
it's is hard to become a real problem, but it is there.

But okay, let's forget about how much or little a problem it is. What does it add to the game? Like, other than a real life inconvenience for the sake of realism and immersion that wouldn't be worth either of those things? What does sitting and waiting for a gas meter to fill up add to the experience?

Thomas Cavendish
11 hours ago, Racecarlock said:

But okay, let's forget about how much or little a problem it is. What does it add to the game? Like, other than a real life inconvenience for the sake of realism and immersion that wouldn't be worth either of those things? What does sitting and waiting for a gas meter to fill up add to the experience?

Urgency, Planning, Tension, Obstacles, Danger, Risk, Threat, Torment.

Racecarlock
57 minutes ago, Thomas Cavendish said:

Urgency, Planning, Tension, Obstacles, Danger, Risk, Threat, Torment.

You're thinking of car chases, but here's what it's going to be like most of the time.

Just a pointless inconvenience.

Thomas Cavendish
1 hour ago, Racecarlock said:

You're thinking of car chases, but here's what it's going to be like most of the time.

The gas run out too much quick / few gas stations in the map. I think there must be a balance not to be annoying.

But maybe you're right too. I think they had already tested this feature and decided what is good for gameplaying. I trust R* 

Pedinhuh
On 3/18/2021 at 12:51 PM, Racecarlock said:

On 3/18/2021 at 2:32 PM, Thomas Cavendish said:

The gas run out too much quick / few gas stations in the map. I think there must be a balance not to be annoying.

But maybe you're right too. I think they had already tested this feature and decided what is good for gameplaying. I trust R* 

I see the problem here, you guys are looking at a fan-made mod and are using that as a basis for your argument, which is ok I guess but it fails to see that...Obviously things will look crude, rough around the edges and kinda boring.

If R* were to ever implement this feature, they would balance it on the same way that Mafia devs did it: Everytime your vehicle leaves your garage it leaves with a full tank, you can drive around the map for a lot of time before the fuel starts to be a concern, for random vehicles you steal in the streets there would be randomized levels of fuel to symbolize that the vehicle has been driven around previously, moreover, they could make all vehicles have different levels of fuel consumption based on the type of engine they have, the size of the fuel tanks could also be different between each vehicle with larger vehicles having bigger tanks so they could drive longer distances, they could also map how much fuel your vehicle use based how much throttle you are using, and also work out something for the EVs(Like a limp mode until you get back to your garage, or just add superchargers for all gas stations).

They would also add proper animations for filling up the gas tank, be it by Jerry can or gas pump and not make stuff materialize in the tank out of thin f*cking air, while also making a less crude display.

Gas stations would also be more fleshed out with NPC activity by having cars waiting in line to refuel which you could try to cut through and start a fight, they could also make for some interesting car meeting spots like they are in real life...Or even better, make the gas station also become a hangout spot of illegal street racers, where the player could go to do street races, etc...

In other words, the feature would be properly implemented and polished, and it would be balanced in a way that it wouldn't be an issue unless you were a negligent player that ignored it(for real, if you run out of fuel on Mafia then you have none but yourself to blame for that), like it is on Mafia, but it would be there for those players who appreciate that.

"But what would be the point of that if it wouldn't be an issue????"

What are the point of car washes? What are the purpose of Telescopes on the observatory and safe houses? How about Bongs, drinks, radios, TVs, beds and the showers in our safe houses? Going even further: What is the point of the rideable trains in Los Santos and also liberty city?

Promote player interactions with the game map, make the game feel more alive and immersive, fleshing out the game's setting and actually make you feel like you're part of the game you play.

"But Pedinhuh, we drive vehicles around all the time, those things you mentioned we can just ignore them and they won't affect us, but fuel could."

You know what is else is an inconvenience in this game yet it really isn't and you aren't talking about it?

Ammo.

We use firearms in this game franchise all the time, almost every single mission has us having shootouts with the cops and other enemies, and in freeroam there is always the need to have a firearm at ready for you.

So, how come that isn't an issue at all? Because you can buy 9999 rounds of ammo on all firearms so that it won't be an issue.

In GTA V, you can go from 0% up to 100% completion of the singleplayer game with a pistol with 9999 rounds without ever needing to buy more ammo again...Hell, 9999 rounds in GTA Online lasts me for over a month easily.

So, it's really just a matter of making the feature be there but just not be a issue that would make players stress over them, but make it still be there.

Like, I don't know, if you folks are adverse of this feature ever being implemented then R* could make it a toggle able option too.

Also it's worth mentioning: This game is not called Grand Theft Auto for nothing, automobiles are the focus of the game and are what the game is designed around for, in almost the same way that racing games are...So how come this feature still really isn't here at all, after all this time?

Fuel consumption is an intricate part of operating vehicle, just like accelerating, steering and braking, be it a vehicle that you own or stole...So it makes all the sense that a franchise that focuses so much on autos would also have this.

Edited by Pedinhuh

Racecarlock
21 hours ago, Pedinhuh said:

I see the problem here, you guys are looking at a fan-made mod and are using that as a basis for your argument, which is ok I guess but it fails to see that...Obviously things will look crude, rough around the edges and kinda boring.

If R* were to ever implement this feature, they would balance it on the same way that Mafia devs did it: Everytime your vehicle leaves your garage it leaves with a full tank, you can drive around the map for a lot of time before the fuel starts to be a concern, for random vehicles you steal in the streets there would be randomized levels of fuel to symbolize that the vehicle has been driven around previously, moreover, they could make all vehicles have different levels of fuel consumption based on the type of engine they have, the size of the fuel tanks could also be different between each vehicle with larger vehicles having bigger tanks so they could drive longer distances, they could also map how much fuel your vehicle use based how much throttle you are using, and also work out something for the EVs(Like a limp mode until you get back to your garage, or just add superchargers for all gas stations).

They would also add proper animations for filling up the gas tank, be it by Jerry can or gas pump and not make stuff materialize in the tank out of thin f*cking air, while also making a less crude display.

Gas stations would also be more fleshed out with NPC activity by having cars waiting in line to refuel which you could try to cut through and start a fight, they could also make for some interesting car meeting spots like they are in real life...Or even better, make the gas station also become a hangout spot of illegal street racers, where the player could go to do street races, etc...

In other words, the feature would be properly implemented and polished, and it would be balanced in a way that it wouldn't be an issue unless you were a negligent player that ignored it(for real, if you run out of fuel on Mafia then you have none but yourself to blame for that), like it is on Mafia, but it would be there for those players who appreciate that.

What are the point of car washes? What are the purpose of Telescopes on the observatory and safe houses? How about Bongs, drinks, radios, TVs, beds and the showers in our safe houses? Going even further: What is the point of the rideable trains in Los Santos and also liberty city?

Promote player interactions with the game map, make the game feel more alive and immersive, fleshing out the game's setting and actually make you feel like you're part of the game you play.

"But Pedinhuh, we drive vehicles around all the time, those things you mentioned we can just ignore them and they won't affect us, but fuel could."

You know what is else is an inconvenience in this game yet it really isn't and you aren't talking about it?

Ammo.

We use firearms in this game franchise all the time, almost every single mission has us having shootouts with the cops and other enemies, and in freeroam there is always the need to have a firearm at ready for you.

So, how come that isn't an issue at all? Because you can buy 9999 rounds of ammo on all firearms so that it won't be an issue.

In GTA V, you can go from 0% up to 100% completion of the singleplayer game with a pistol with 9999 rounds without ever needing to buy more ammo again...Hell, 9999 rounds in GTA Online lasts me for over a month easily.

So, it's really just a matter of making the feature be there but just not be a issue that would make players stress over them, but make it still be there.

Like, I don't know, if you folks are adverse of this feature ever being implemented then R* could make it a toggle able option too.

Also it's worth mentioning: This game is not called Grand Theft Auto for nothing, automobiles are the focus of the game and are what the game is designed around for, in almost the same way that racing games are...So how come this feature still really isn't here at all, after all this time?

Fuel consumption is an intricate part of operating vehicle, just like accelerating, steering and braking, be it a vehicle that you own or stole...So it makes all the sense that a franchise that focuses so much on autos would also have this.

But it's not fun, that's my issue. It's forcing the player to sit there and wait for a gauge to fill up. You're forced to sit there and do nothing while spending your money on a completely mundane expense. That's not fun. Immersion's possible without making me have to wait for a fuel tank to fill up, you know?

Pedinhuh
22 hours ago, Racecarlock said:

But it's not fun, that's my issue. It's forcing the player to sit there and wait for a gauge to fill up. You're forced to sit there and do nothing while spending your money on a completely mundane expense. That's not fun. Immersion's possible without making me have to wait for a fuel tank to fill up, you know?

And not everything in a game has to be fun, you know?

It isn't fun to run out of health and die right at the ending of a mission just because  you were a little careless.

It isn't fun to run out of ammo with the weapon you're familiar the most with, in the middle of a shooting against the super cops, and potentially die because of it.

It isn't fun to run out of Michael's special ability right as you're lining up a perfect headshot against a enemy that has their shot already lined up on Michael is ready to kill him.

It isn't fun to run out of Trevor's special ability while you're making a rampage inside Fort Zancudo and you see a enemy tank ready to blow Trevor's ass to kingdom come.

It isn't fun to run out of Franklin's driving ability right as you're overtaking another driver in a street race and because of this you crash and Franklin loses the race.

See where I'm going with this?

The game just can't hand everything to you on a silver plate in the name of fun like that, there has to be some form of challenge to make players interested in keep playing and try to better theirselves, otherwise they will just lose interest if everything is too easy.

Racecarlock
1 hour ago, Pedinhuh said:

And not everything in a game has to be fun, you know?

It isn't fun to run out of health and die right at the ending of a mission just because  you were a little careless.

It isn't fun to run out of ammo with the weapon you're familiar the most with, in the middle of a shooting against the super cops, and potentially die because of it.

It isn't fun to run out of Michael's special ability right as you're lining up a perfect headshot against a enemy that has their shot already lined up on Michael is ready to kill him.

It isn't fun to run out of Trevor's special ability while you're making a rampage inside Fort Zancudo and you see a enemy tank ready to blow Trevor's ass to kingdom come.

It isn't fun to run out of Franklin's driving ability right as you're overtaking another driver in a street race and because of this you crash and Franklin loses the race.

See where I'm going with this?

The game just can't hand everything to you on a silver plate in the name of fun like that, there has to be some form of challenge to make players interested in keep playing and try to better theirselves, otherwise they will just lose interest if everything is too easy.

But getting gas isn't a challenge, it's getting gas. And if it takes a long time to run out, that means maybe 1 out of every thousand police chases will be livened up by it, and every other time it's just tedious.

And yeah, it's not fun, I will stand by that assertion. I do not care if it occasionally adds some extra challenge. In fact, even in regards to the cop chase, I'd rather lose because the cops were smart enough to catch or kill me, not because I got screwed over by an empty gas tank.

I mean, sh*t, why stop there if it's about immersion and challenge? What if you also had to spend a few in game hours doing your taxes to avoid the tax evasion wanted level? What if you had to vacuum the house or keep showering so your stink doesn't generate a wanted level? I could come up with a million tedious things to do that would add to immersion and challenge, but most of them wouldn't be good ideas. You say I used a mod video and that was a problem. Fine.

Tell me which part of this is so great that it's worth making me do it over and over and over again in a video game.

• Like 2

DexMacLeod
On 3/19/2021 at 9:23 PM, Pedinhuh said:

The thing is, none of those other examples have the ability to actively prevent you from progressing through the game. They're not things we ever need to do in order to get to the next mission location. I'm all for interactive gas pumps and the ability to pump gas, it's the need  to pump gas that bothers me.

I suggested a while back that if gas becomes a thing it should function the same way food does for the player in IV and V. As the car takes more damage the transmission starts to slip, top speed/acceleration lessen, etc. Getting gas would "heal" the car.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:23 PM, Pedinhuh said:

It's really not, though. GTA is about crime in general, actual Grand Theft Auto is a very small part of the game, usually relegated to a small number of missions and optional side activities. Cars are pretty much just the way we navigate to the next mission and explore the world.

Also, many, many, racing games don't deal with gas.

2 hours ago, Pedinhuh said:

Yeah, but that happened because you were careless. If I jack a random car on the street and it's already low on gas it's happening not because of my skill or anything I did wrong. It's just happening because the game said so.

If that gun runs out of ammo you can switch to a new gun with almost zero interruption to what you were doing. I think GTA even auto switches you to a gun with ammo. Run out of gas and you've got to leave that car behind entirely, steal another one and potentially get a wanted level when all you wanted to do was get to the next mission spawn point.

All things that replenish themselves over time and aren't necessary to advance in the game. You don't need to go out of your way to refill them just to get where you're going.

Having a gas gauge doesn't make driving around more challenging. It just makes it more tedious. If they want to make simply navigating the world a little more challenging/engaging the way to do that would be to make cars a little more fragile. Make getting into wrecks a little more punishing so people have to get better at driving if they want to hold onto their cars. Introducing the ability to run out of gas just makes you better at finding gas stations.

• Like 2