3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Gas?

DJCHRISRECTOR

Not Only Mad Max do this in the game (The gas thing) but also State of Decay, in both cases survival is part of the game, in State of Decay 2 despite the fact that even a Compact car consumes insanely amounts of Gasoline, It is an esential part of the gameplay because if you ran out of fuel with a supply bag on your back while you're in an open area surrounded by zombies, you can consider yourself¬† pretty much dead (Or undead in this case). In a game like GTA the gas management wouldn't have much sense. Yeah it would be a bit more immersive only if the gas ran out very very slowly. I don't want to be chasing someone in a V8 vehicle only to my car getting dry in the middle of the Action. ūü§¶‚Äć‚ôÄÔłŹ

On 10/5/2020 at 2:28 PM, LunaStrky :3 said:

Not Only Mad Max do this in the game (The gas thing) but also State of Decay, in both cases survival is part of the game, in State of Decay 2 despite the fact that even a Compact car consumes insanely amounts of Gasoline, It is an esential part of the gameplay because if you ran out of fuel with a supply bag on your back while you're in an open area surrounded by zombies, you can consider yourself¬† pretty much dead (Or undead in this case). In a game like GTA the gas management wouldn't have much sense. Yeah it would be a bit more immersive only if the gas ran out very very slowly. I don't want to be chasing someone in a V8 vehicle only to my car getting dry in the middle of the Action. ūü§¶‚Äć‚ôÄÔłŹ

It's like I said, people who want this are picturing two scenarios.

Scenario 1: They run out of fuel in a police chase and the thrill and intensity of the chase is heightened ten fold as they run and run.

What they don't think about: How the RNG involved with a fuel system might keep screwing them over and might make it way more frustrating than thrilling, and how it might make the cops seem like less of a threat because the RNG fuel system has to screw over the player for them. Not to mention if fuel does take a long time to run out, that means they might get this thrill in maybe 1 out of every thousand chases.

Scenario 2: They stop by a gas station to get more gas when not in a chase. The luxurious animation and realism involved in the task pushes their immersion and euphoria to new heights as a whole new level of detail is unlocked.

What they don't think about: Yes, whether it takes hours to run out or minutes to run out, they might indeed get a big rush of immersion and amazement the first time they get gas. Then they have to do it a second time, and the thrill has warn off a little bit, hypothetical as the thrill in the first place might be. Then they have to do it a 3rd time, then a 4th time, then a 5th time, and it goes on and on and on. Sooner or later, the thrill turns to tedium. "Why do I have to keep doing this?" "Why did I want this?" "Was I really so thrilled by this in the first place?" and other questions start to replace that initial thrill that wore off so long ago, and they finally realize they've exchanged a significant amount of time playing the fun parts of the game for time sitting at a gas station watching a car fill up. And that's assuming they even get a big rush of immersion out of it in the first place. Imagine what that wearing off and tedium's going to feel like if you DON'T get that initial rush. Before you know it, you'll be wanting some kind of portable game in the game just so you can have a bit of fun while waiting for the car to fill up.

This is ultimately why I argued against this sort of system in GTA V and why I still argue against it now. Whatever thrills you may get from immersion and/or running out during a police chase will swiftly disappear behind the endless repetitions of having to get gas no matter how long it takes to run out. Sit there, wait for the car to fill, another few hours later, do that yet again. It's not fun, it's just tedious, and the tedium might constantly interrupt the fun, and exchanging that for more "immersion" just wouldn't be worth it to me.

• Like 3
On 10/8/2020 at 2:16 PM, Racecarlock said:

What they don't think about: Yes, whether it takes hours to run out or minutes to run out, they might indeed get a big rush of immersion and amazement the first time they get gas. Then they have to do it a second time, and the thrill has warn off a little bit, hypothetical as the thrill in the first place might be. Then they have to do it a 3rd time, then a 4th time, then a 5th time, and it goes on and on and on. Sooner or later, the thrill turns to tedium. "Why do I have to keep doing this?" "Why did I want this?" "Was I really so thrilled by this in the first place?" 

It's not fun, it's just tedious, and the tedium might constantly interrupt the fun, and exchanging that for more "immersion" just wouldn't be worth it to me.

And imagine that the Gas thing is in the online part of the game aswell, It would be a really annoying situation that just like other animation like buying a soda or something, being charging gas and that some random d*ck throw a grenade or some explosive to the Gas Station, killing you in the dumbest way posible while you're unable to even run or anything...

On 6/8/2020 at 6:54 AM, VercettiGuy said:

Imagine running out of gas while you're in the middle of the GTA equivalent to the Everglades.

I'm all in for that, honestly. As long as gas is free. In GTAO we'd be paying 50$ a litre.

Gas being free would be idiotic. Make it realistically priced. Who is going to care about paying 60-100 dollars every now and then out of millions?

20 hours ago, SherifWayne said:

Gas being free would be idiotic. Make it realistically priced. Who is going to care about paying 60-100 dollars every now and then out of millions?

I wouldn't even want to have to stop at the gas station, much less spend my hard earned house, sports car, and weapon money on something entirely mundane.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:14 AM, Zello said:

I drive irl I put gas in my car. That sh*t is boring.

Why the f*ck do people want this in a game?

To be honest, gas is nice only when you want to roleplay for a while but if I would be playing this game at least once a week for years (it's definitely possible) then it would get tedious and annoying. In real life I go to restaurant, KFC and other places where I can eat something because I want to. I go to Starbucks etc because I want to.  I go to the gym because I want to. I go to cinema etc because I want to. I go to shopping centre because I want to. Gas station? I never go there because I want to but because I have to and it's boring af.

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 2
On 6/8/2020 at 1:28 AM, Jason said:

I'm all for making travelling more meaningful and not being able to get from anywhere on the map to anywhere in a hot minute however there are probably better ways to do that than gas in GTA. I think a more sim-like approach to vehicle damage would be more interesting gameplay wise, having the potential for certain aspects of a vehicle to have issues, drivetrain, clutch, steering, that type of thing. You f*ck up your car enough and you car can't get out of third gear or something, or your AWD vehicle loses drive in one of the sets of wheels, stuff like that. Punishes you for being reckless with your vehicle but the result is more interesting gameplay wise, cause gas is literally: "Oh I'm low on gas, time to go refuel / steal a car". Interesting at first, repetitive and annoying after a few days.

It sounds really cool. By the way, what do you think people about random condition of cars we steal on top of that? I mean not necessarily body of car (exterior in other words) but condition of drivetrain and things like that. I think, that it would encourage players to care more about their personal cars because we would always know their condition (we could have more than one personal car of course). What if you want to change your personal car at any moment? Just call (phone booth if mobile is not available) to your driver, tell him where you are (Rockstar already records this stuff for TAXI purposes for example), what car do you want and he will bring it for you.

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Kris194 said:

It sounds really cool. By the way, what do you think people about random condition of cars we steal on top of that? I mean not necessarily body of car (exterior in other words) but condition of drivetrain and things like that. I think, that it would encourage players to care more about their personal cars because we would always know their condition (we could have more than one personal car of course). What if you want to change your personal car at any moment? Just call (phone booth if mobile is not available) to your driver, tell him where you are (Rockstar already records this stuff for TAXI purposes for example), what car do you want and he will bring it for you.

Yeah, I'd love little stuff like that. Like, if you got into a random car that looks nice enough from the outside but you start driving and realize the brakes are shot, or the transmission slips, or the power steering is out. They could then make gas work the same way as food. The car doesn't need it to function but it repairs those internal problems.

• Like 2

I need everyone in favor of this to really really think about how fun it is going to be the 37th time you have to sit there and watch the car fill up. Imagine the animation playing out 10 times. Maybe wait 2-3 hours in between each time you picture it. Now imagine having to do that 100 more times because it's an open world game and the travel times are going to be long and the time spent going through the story and playing around in the sandbox after the story is going to be even longer.

Is it really THAT worth it? All I picture is something totally mundane that adds nothing to the experience and wastes your time.

On 6/17/2020 at 2:49 PM, Smash Bandicoot said:

This would be a bad design choice, if it happened, I would just exit the car and jack another, and what if I ran out of it and the middle of f*cking nowhere(woods or swamps)? I would have no other choice than to kill myself ingame so that I can spawn to the nearest hospital, and the result will be me losing 10000 dollars because of the horrendous design choice.

What are you doing in the woods or swamps in the first place while low on fuel?

On 10/5/2020 at 4:28 PM, LunaStrky :3 said:

You jeep forgetting your aware of the amount of gas you have at all times. You'll know if you need to fill, switch cars, etc

You drive your fav car... you get stucked in the middle of the dessert, you loose your car

Try Mafia Definitive Edition.

I was like striving for this years ago, now I got older, I don't have time or care for doing it while playing and I get bored easily playing after the main story... I would be more bored  

And I have already a car that I have to refill... not so funny  

If the map is big and features a diverse landscape (with forests, swamps, far distance between cities) fuel system will be a hindrance to player's exploration. 

However, I can see this kind of mechanic work with a map like GTA IV, smaller in size and dominated with urban areas. If my car runs out of fuel, i can just walk to the city street to find another one.

On 10/20/2020 at 3:39 PM, KingAJ032304 said:

What are you doing in the woods or swamps in the first place while low on fuel?

If I'm visiting places then gas is the last thing I want to care about.

You know something? I just realized that unlike with GTA V, I don't have to talk using hypothetical situations anymore. In fact, with GTA's modding community, I might have never had to.

To youtube!

Not gonna lie, after seeing that in action, I still don't get the appeal. I watched the whole video, it just looks like a completely mundane inconvenience. But what the hell, right? Why take all the information from just one video?

Here's the mod link: https://www.gta5-mods.com/scripts/fuel-script-v-sakis25

And since I'm not letting this anywhere NEAR my PC copy of GTA V since I bought it for actually fun mods like menyoo and native trainers, I'm leaving it up to you guys. If you're one of those people who thinks fuel is going to be so great, there it is. Go nuts. Fill up all the gas tanks your heart desires. Come back to me, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I want a full report. Does it increase immersion? Does it make police chases more tense rather than more frustrating? I guess you get to find that out for yourself.

Edited by Racecarlock
Minor nitpicky language changes.
  • 3 months later...

I was just reading an old interview with Sam Houser from 2008 and he mentioned the idea for fuel so I remembered this thread. this is what he said

He's an undeniably potent fountain of ideas, but Houser explains that even he goes too far: "When we were making [San Andreas] one of the things I talked about - and thank God they didn't give in to my idiocy - was, 'Hey, we've got to make it interesting to drive four hours on a freeway and you have to stop to fill up on fuel'. And the team were like, 'God, give it a rest, mate

so unless he changes his mind I guess we wont have to worry about fuel in the next game and thats probably for the better. 

• Like 1
GRINCH ASS BITCH

Prior to GTAV's release I had argued in favor of needing to fill up at a pump. After actually downloading and using a couple of gas station mods for the PC version of the game, I say hell no (unless the rest of the game is meant to be slow and immersive, like Red Dead). It got repetitive very fast, similar to skinning animals in RDR2.

CryptReaperDorian

Everybody is talking about implementing gas stations in the sense of a simulator environment. I'm not crazy about that idea. However, I wouldn't mind seeing them implemented in the sense of an arcade environment. Now, this is considering if it wouldn't clash too much with the rest of the game.

What I'm talking about is taking a page Burnout Paradise's book. This game features gas stations, but it's used to fill up "boost" instead of any sort of fuel system that'd render your vehicle dead if it were to be depleted. Essentially, all vehicles will have some sort of speed boost/nitrous, possibly other types like a torque/strength boost (like the aforementioned Burnout Paradise), by default. Using gas stations will just be means of replenishing this boost. It could also add another layer of vehicle balance in the game, fuel economy. While sports and super cars will still be the vehicles of choice for races, likes of sedans and SUVs could be given better fuel economy to reduce the amount of micro-management and retain their relevance within the game even once the player has obtained high performance vehicles.

• Like 1

we all know that we can drive any vehicle to an infinite distance without refilling fuel .... but still there are gas stations in all GTA games, so being more realistic can we run out of gas in any vehicle in GTA 6, and then can we refill the tank from the gas station??? 

No. It sounds like a cool feature at first but I assure you it'll become an annoying pain in the ass after 10 minutes 

I already posted this, but screw it.

I don't see what about this improves the game. All I see is your car shuts off after some time, then you have to stop and wait for the meter to fill up, either at a station or with the gas can. In essence, it makes sh*t take longer and makes you stand around doing nothing every time it runs out. Can anybody else see? Help me understand, what's the magic here?

• Like 3

I'm with @Racecarlock gas is a terrible idea and boring and adds nothing to the game. Having experience driving irl and having to stop at a gas station  in order to get some gas is not something you look forward to.

• Like 2

not the best idea. Only way i see this working is if your car doesnt run out of gas quick (maybe 5 irl hours or so) and npc cars always have low gas tanks. That'll force you to keep using one car and filling it up.

• 2 weeks later...
KingAJ032304

how much are yall against the idea of having gas through a cheat code (similar to how in the ps2 version of GTA III, the compromise for having dismemberment was made possible through a cheat). I'm sure it wouldn't take them longer than an hour to implement (though the aircraft and watercraft gas might take them longer).

1 hour ago, KingAJ032304 said:

how much are yall against the idea of having gas through a cheat code (similar to how in the ps2 version of GTA III, the compromise for having dismemberment was made possible through a cheat). I'm sure it wouldn't take them longer than an hour to implement (though the aircraft and watercraft gas might take them longer).

If it were to be an option I'd rather it just be something you can toggle on or off in a menu screen, personally. I don't really see a reason to "hide" it in a cheat code. 

testarossa 86

Mafia II's gas system was always a topic when comparing GTA to the Mafia series years ago, "well Mafia is better than GTA, you can fill up your gas!"

after replaying Mafia II, randomly being told my fuel was low and having to go out of my way to fill up was a mood killer for me.

although it is realistic, I feel like it suits actual survival games best, such as DayZ, State of Decay, etc

KingAJ032304
47 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

If it were to be an option I'd rather it just be something you can toggle on or off in a menu screen, personally. I don't really see a reason to "hide" it in a cheat code. 

On 2/21/2021 at 8:05 PM, Racecarlock said:

I already posted this, but screw it.

I don't see what about this improves the game. All I see is your car shuts off after some time, then you have to stop and wait for the meter to fill up, either at a station or with the gas can. In essence, it makes sh*t take longer and makes you stand around doing nothing every time it runs out. Can anybody else see? Help me understand, what's the magic here?

this is how I felt about the toll booths in gta iv, just slowed the gameplay down unnecessarily.

PhantomJawn

Gas would be kill the fun of the game like the tolls you had to pay in GTA IV. No thanks.

• Like 1