1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red Dead Redemption deserves a remaster.

MostWantedMVP

THEGTAGUY4

It would be a dream to see RDR1 with RDR2's RAGE engine running at 60fps on the new gen consoles and of course,PC.

jje1000

Honestly it probably depends on how messy that spaghetti code is, whether or not it might just be easier to remake it in RDRII's engine (especially considering that they already have the maps mostly made except for Mexico).

• 2 weeks later...

They will be stupid if they never do remaster.

There is map ported, whole engine made up and some PC players waiting 11 years already...

But hey, rockstar is not always clever and they made some really bad mistakes towards playerbase.

• 1 month later...
Jimbatron

Given most of NP is already in RDR 2 (albeit not accessible by regular means) it is downright crazy they haven’t remastered it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
- The Man -

I've read a lot of things about the code of this game being kind of messed up. It might be too much effort to remaster.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
awaler32
On 7/7/2021 at 5:19 AM, - The Man - said:

I've read a lot of things about the code of this game being kind of messed up. It might be too much effort to remaster.

I remember reading that the source code is fairly messed up and there are a lot of backend issues that prevented it being released on pc originally.

I'm playing the story for the first time and I fully agree, especially coming from a guy who prefers PC gameplay. This game is truly beautiful, despite that god awful PS Now quality. They should definitely either remaster or remake, the last is probably wiser. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
BigGoldberg
On 3/16/2021 at 3:23 PM, THEGTAGUY4 said:

It would be a dream to see RDR1 with RDR2's RAGE engine running at 60fps on the new gen consoles and of course,PC.

144fps on PC, please :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Tang0Mango

I would love a RDR remake or at least a port on PC, but the code's a f*cking mess to say the least and it would be a litteral nightmare to make it happen.

ArthurMorgan

With today’s news that Grove Street Games have worked on the GTA Trilogy, that means the team at Rockstar Dundee must be hard at work on something else…

Officer Friendly

The only way they could do RDR justice is by putting it in the current engine. It makes too much sense to not integrate an existing RDR2 save into a RDR remaster.

• Like 2

Months ago we had leaks/rumors about the trilogy getting a remaster, and that its' reception would help gauge whether or not they should remaster other titles like Red Dead Redemption 1. I'm buying The Definitive Trilogy once it comes to Steam to try them out, but more importantly in the hopes that it paves the way for a Red Dead Redemption remaster/remake that makes its' way to the PC finally.

On 2/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, GinsengElixir said:

Remaster would be nice, but a remake with new content in RDR2's map? Even better. Imagine more missions in New Hannover, Lemoyne etc. Perhaps a step too far but would be amazing. 

Yeah, they already have 2/3rds of the RDR map done + all the character voice lines recorded + the story written + all the mission design done. 

It's just like with PS4's Spiderman & Miles Morales- it's a astonishingly straight business path towards remaking RDR in RDR2's engine, reusing all the hard work in creating the world itself.

Edited by jje1000

Am I expecting a fullblown remake? No, but I'm hoping for it. Given that we practically have the entire RDR/RDR2 map minus Mexico (Technically), I think they should do a full remake.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Drimes said:

Am I expecting a fullblown remake? No, but I'm hoping for it. Given that we practically have the entire RDR/RDR2 map minus Mexico (Technically), I think they should do a full remake.

Yes, the fruit is so low-hanging that it would be stupid not to go for it. They already have nearly all they need, that the missing bits are chump change.

With the rumors of GTA dev troubles (not surprised, given that RDRII apparently went through the same thing), a RDRI remake would give them more time to reboot the whole dev process after Houser's departure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jje1000 said:

Yes, the fruit is so low-hanging that it would be stupid not to go for it. They already have nearly all they need, that the missing bits are chump change.

With the rumors of GTA dev troubles (not surprised, given that RDRII apparently went through the same thing), a RDRI remake would give them more time to reboot the whole dev process after Houser's departure.

Very true. Then there is the rumor that the RDR1 code was messy and that's why it was never ported further than PS3 and Xbox 360. Why would they bother trying to recreate a mess like that? Like you said, the fruit is so low-hanging. But my god, could you imagine this? It would be so amazing to relive Mexico and a thriving New Austin in the RDR2 graphics and mechanics. A proper John Marston, possible dual wielding, infinite bounties, more duels. It would be so perfect. I am a little worried about the Landon Ricketts actor, he passed shortly after the RDR1 launch. But I hope Rockstar still kept around the motion capture scenes, the lines, etc, and just use those again. 

• Like 2

Failed Again

Playground games, should remaster the Mexican desert for RDR😁

Shadowfennekin
On 11/2/2021 at 5:39 PM, Drimes said:

Considering the code for RDR 1 was a 'mess' it sounds like it'd be significantly easier to just remake Mexico and fresh up the New Austin settlements to match their RDR 1 counterparts. Tumbleweed a ghost town, Armadillo and McFarlane have all their shops and functions while Thieves Landing has all the fun activities again.

If the Trilogy does well I suspect we just might see RDR 1 remaster come to fruition, hopefully GTA IV gets a remaster as well. I was playing it on my Xbox Series X this week, the load times are faster but dang that game is incredibly grainy at times e_e

Looser3241

A question: Where did this rumor of RDR code being a mess came from? Is there any article, interview, blog post or whatever clearly stating this?

Closest thing I found was that the development was a mess, with tons of complaints from rockstar employees, but then again, Rockstar had other games with messy developments, like rdr2 or, more infamously, LA noire. But nothing mentioning the code specifically. 

28 minutes ago, Looser3241 said:

A question: Where did this rumor of RDR code being a mess came from? Is there any article, interview, blog post or whatever clearly stating this?

Closest thing I found was that the development was a mess, with tons of complaints from rockstar employees, but then again, Rockstar had other games with messy developments, like rdr2 or, more infamously, LA noire. But nothing mentioning the code specifically. 

I've seen people say that Rockstar San Diego wasn't good at making pc ports, and that they split up shortly after they made RDR. Plus apparently there were emails of Dan Houser(?) asking Leslie Benzies for help with the production. Take that with a grain of salt though, I may be misremembering some things. But given that it has been a decade since the title launch with no other ports of it than the PS3 and Xbox 360 one, I think it's safe to say that these things are true.

Edited by Drimes

Looser3241
34 minutes ago, Drimes said:

I've seen people say that Rockstar San Diego wasn't good at making pc ports, and that they split up shortly after they made RDR. Plus apparently there were emails of Dan Houser(?) asking Leslie Benzies for help with the production. Take that with a grain of salt though, I may be misremembering some things. But given that it has been a decade since the title launch with no other ports of it than the PS3 and Xbox 360 one, I think it's safe to say that these things are true.

While it's all probably true, I find it interesting how established this rumor is. Even I, in the past, gave the "code is a mess" explanation as a reason when asked by a friend why there's no PC port.

If there's a remaster, then either develop it using RDR2's engine with the same assets which includes the whole thing from models, textures to sound effects and animations, or I personally won't care. Something alone the lines of GTA DE won't cut it for me.

Dudu RDRII
1 hour ago, Jabalous said:

If there's a remaster, then either develop it using RDR2's engine with the same assets which includes the whole thing from models, textures to sound effects and animations, or I personally won't care. Something alone the lines of GTA DE won't cut it for me.

You just took the words out of my mouth, f*ck Rockstar's concept of keeping the classic look of the games, aka cash grab, make it feel like a direct continuation of RDR2's story or don't bother doing it at all.

• Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1

I want a proper remake brought up to RDR2 standards in every way or just a plain port that fixes some minor issues and nothing else. I definitely do not want anything similar to the GTA Trilogy DE. Either go all in with the remake or don't change anything and bring it to the modern platforms with performance improvements.

stag3coach2

In the other hand I prefer a remaster that keeps the aesthetics of RDR1, I hate how New Austin looks in RDR2. But i want a proper remaster, not the cheap amateur mobile port this f****ts of Grove Street Games had made, much less charging us 60 f*cking dollars. Anyways I'm pretty sure the remaster of RDR1 is going to be the same game with higher texture cuality and maybe improved 3d models.

Dudu RDRII
1 hour ago, stag3coach2 said:

In the other hand I prefer a remaster that keeps the aesthetics of RDR1, I hate how New Austin looks in RDR2. But i want a proper remaster, not the cheap amateur mobile port this f****ts of Grove Street Games had made, much less charging us 60 f*cking dollars. Anyways I'm pretty sure the remaster of RDR1 is going to be the same game with higher texture cuality and maybe improved 3d models.

They can always remake New Austin in RDR2's engine to look closer to RDR1's version, remake or bust.

• Like 2