2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Mafia: The Trilogy

Rucke

I am very happy to see that we will at least get one more Mafia game, I was happy that Mafia 2 was released as well since it had a trouble development.

Mafia 1 and 2 are  two of my favorite games and I love them dearly, Mafia 3 however I demanded a refund on since it was rather poor, I did pick it up some years later though and I played it for a few hours but nothing more.

Mafia DE I have purchased but not played yet, actually it is my next game as I am "finally" stopping to play RDO on a daily basis once I reach 3000 gold bars (I have 2803 as of today). Perhaps I will sneak in a runthrough of Mafia 3 before I start Mafia DE I will see.

Excellent news in regards to Mafia 4, and we will see if they are CLEVER enough to include support for wheel, pedals and H-gate shifting and force feedback, something that the ORIGINAL game had 20 years ago but neither the other Maifa games or GTA games for that matter have had since.

If the setting permits it of course.

Edited by Archangelsky
  • Like 2

universetwisters
9 hours ago, sabitsuki said:

Also, I guess I'm a little more optimistic now, but after the generally poor reception on games like Cyberpunk, 2042 and the new Saints Row, I'm pretty sure by now many devs and publishers would already get the message to more or less get their sh*t together. I'd be genuinely surprised if they still did the same sh*t tbh in which case i hope the industry crashes again lol

tbh as long as the games sell well, even with terrible reviews, I doubt they’d care. Look at how many people bought the new saints row, for example. That, combined with the mentality of “we’ll fix it in a patch later” definently isn’t gonna help because it’s just gonna give people hope that if they buy the game now it’ll be fixed later. This isn’t an oversaturation of shovelware (tho it does feel like it lol) that caused the first gaming crash 

I'll be extremely surprised if they did decide to greenlight the prequel set in the early 20th century Italy. We're talking horse wagons lmfao. A game set in the modern times even, I think, would be less of an experiment. 

1 hour ago, Donald Lov said:

I'll be extremely surprised if they did decide to greenlight the prequel set in the early 20th century Italy. We're talking horse wagons lmfao. A game set in the modern times even, I think, would be less of an experiment. 

What if it’s like The Godfather II movie. Two time periods play as Young Salieri in Italy and then as his son in 1970s Las Vegas with whatever remains of the Salieri family. Now THAT I can get behind but I don’t think Hangar 13 has the resources to pull it off.

• Like 1

Nah,I wouldnt want to play as salieris son, salieri was a scumbag to his crime family anyways. I want a new story. 

keep on with the tradition of each game moving into the next decade. Mafia 1 was 1930s, mafia 2 was 40s and 50s, 3 was 60s. Hopefully 4 is 70s. I would hate it if they went back in time.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, Mafia 3 is probably the worst of the trilogy I gotta say. I hope IV is more like 1 and 2. I still enjoyed Mafia 3 but I don't know, it felt different to me, compared to the first two. 

I tried playing the original Mafia way back at release but I could never get into it. I'd watch my brother play it though, he liked it more than I did. Now, many many years later after the definitive edition releases, I finally decided to give it another chance after what nearly 15 years and I loved it. I guess you don't appreciate things as much until you're older eh

Edited by Tru Company
  • Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

Creed Bratton
5 hours ago, Tru Company said:

Now, many many years later after the definitive edition releases, I finally decided to give it another chance after what nearly 15 years and I loved it. I guess you don't appreciate things as much until you're older eh

I'm not sure I understood this. Did you give the original game from 2002 another chance, or did you play the new remake of the first game, and you loved it? Because they are not the same game.

Edited by Creed Bratton

2 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

I'm not sure I understood this. Did you give the original game from 2002 another chance, or did you play the new remake of the first game, and you loved it? Because they are not the same game.

Sorry, I played the remake first, and then I went back and played the original as well. I loved both of them. Tbh however, I prefer the remake with how much better it looks.

I can deal with old graphics if I really love the game. Being able to mod the old game/if there are even mods out there for it is a plus. 🍻

Too many games in my library 

Edited by Tru Company
  • Like 1

Creed Bratton
6 hours ago, Tru Company said:

Tbh however, I prefer the remake with how much better it looks.

If you had played the original back when it was first released you would sing a different tune today. The original Mafia was the sh*t back in the day. It was the only game that rivaled GTA 3, and in a lot of ways managed to surpass it. Very ambitious undertaking, especially for that era.

Edited by Creed Bratton
  • Like 1

I just want the classic version to be available on consoles too. There are a lot of things missing in the remake.

I never completed that version because my disc got scratched 😭😭😭😭😭

Edited by Zello

14 minutes ago, Zello said:

I never completed that version because my disc got scratched 😭😭😭😭😭

:modkek:

6 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

If you had played the original back when it was first released you would sing a different tune today. The original Mafia was the sh*t back in the day. It was the only game that rivaled GTA 3, and in a lot of ways managed to surpass it. Very ambitious undertaking, especially for that era.

That's the thing though, I did play it very little back at release but I was also too young to really appreciate it. I thought it sucked way back then and didn't like playing it. Like I said though going back now that I'm older and I found more enjoyment from the classic these days than I ever did before. I feel I missed out. Back then most of my time was spent playing Socom 2 online along with Battlefield 2 Modern Combat

To each their own. You prefer the classic I like the remake, I won't give you sh*t over it

As a matter of fact, too, I still play some PS2 games every once in a while on both my PS2 slim and using a PS2 emulator on PC

Edited by Tru Company
  • Like 2

I also played the game when i was young, Probably 7 years old. My brother rented it from blockbuster. I was so used to gta, this game was too complicated and boring for me at the time. I did watch my older brother play it though.

• Realistic Steak! 2

Creed Bratton
19 hours ago, Tru Company said:

That's the thing though, I did play it very little back at release but I was also too young to really appreciate it. I thought it sucked way back then and didn't like playing it. Like I said though going back now that I'm older and I found more enjoyment from the classic these days than I ever did before. I feel I missed out. Back then most of my time was spent playing Socom 2 online along with Battlefield 2 Modern Combat

To each their own. You prefer the classic I like the remake, I won't give you sh*t over it

As a matter of fact, too, I still play some PS2 games every once in a while on both my PS2 slim and using a PS2 emulator on PC

Oh, you played it on the PS2? No wonder you thought it sucked.

• excuseme 1

8 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

Oh, you played it on the PS2? No wonder you thought it sucked.

Okay man you go ahead and be a stupid dick all you want I'll leave you be now. 

Enjoy being angry for no reason. It's a terrible game and you should feel bad :] Am I being like you now?

Edited by Tru Company
  • Like 1

Creed Bratton
14 hours ago, Tru Company said:

Okay man you go ahead and be a stupid dick all you want I'll leave you be now. 

Enjoy being angry for no reason. It's a terrible game and you should feel bad :] Am I being like you now?

What? Where did that come from?

The PS2 version is universally regarded as a very poor, buggy mess of a game. I know, I also had it for the PS2. The only improvement they made to the game was the radar minimap. IIRC, the city was so big, PS2 couldn't load it in entirety. There were actual loading screens between regions. Also, the audio was very low quality. Not to mention all the other aspects of the game that were inferior to the PC version.

Edited by Creed Bratton
  • Realistic Steak! 1

Lets not escalate this any further, please. Most likely a misunderstanding.

Thanks. 👍

On topic, I had either the PS2 or Xbox OG version. I didn't enjoy it at the time for a few reasons. One of them was I wasn't much of an open minded gamer. I only really cared for GTA, Driver, FIFA, some racing games and the odd other game. Every sandbox style game like Mafia that came out was immediately compared to GTA and most often didn't meet GTA standards for me. That's on me. So, I get it. It's not the game's fault. By the time it hit consoles and I had my hands on it, I was already playing Vice City and San Andreas. Mafia 1 was competing the same mental space as the original GTA trilogy meant I couldn't really enjoy it that much. It didn't really stand a chance. I couldn't compartmentalise it as it being a different genre. Yes, it shares this new kind of open-world/sadbox motive as GTA but it's not that. 

Thankfully, we got a remake and I love it! To me, or anyone else that has only experienced completing the DE and not the original will find the differences between the two completely arbitrary and trivial. I know that might irk some original fans but I don't care. What matters is the game and it's story were extremely compelling to me and gave me a new found love for the Mafia series. Rewatching the origninal cutscenes and the acting was pretty poor, even by then's standards. Norman's weird Irish-American accent, the strange vocal pauses and unrealistic cadence of conversation - and the dyness of the delivery of lines weren't good, IMO. For such a story-driven game, it's imperitive the voice acting and delivery is spot on. Granted it's the late 90's and comparing to GTA is pretty unfair given their voice acting was insanely good and portrayed by world-famous top industry professionals. 

This is why I like remasters and remakes, you can experience some gems again with a different head. Playing through Mafia DE is great. I appreciate more that more realistic story-focussed genre. It was also a challenge at times which was much missed in other titles. I don't need all the open world stuff that GTA offers in a Mafia game. However, I'd love a GTA game that did a period piece of mob life back in the 20's, 30's, 40's. 

Playing through Mafia II now and just loving it even more than the first time. Originally, I played it not having finished Mafia 1 before. I know, sounds ridiculous now, but that was me 12 years ago. 

• Realistic Steak! 2

Creed Bratton

Mafia 2 is the best in the trilogy. Too bad it was cut short and so much stuff has been removed from it and later repackaged as Jimmy's Vendetta DLC and Joe's Adventures.

3 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

On topic, I had either the PS2 or Xbox OG version. I didn't enjoy it at the time for a few reasons. One of them was I wasn't much of an open minded gamer. I only really cared for GTA, Driver, FIFA, some racing games and the odd other game. Every sandbox style game like Mafia that came out was immediately compared to GTA and most often didn't meet GTA standards for me. That's on me. So, I get it. It's not the game's fault. By the time it hit consoles and I had my hands on it, I was already playing Vice City and San Andreas. Mafia 1 was competing the same mental space as the original GTA trilogy meant I couldn't really enjoy it that much. It didn't really stand a chance. I couldn't compartmentalise it as it being a different genre. Yes, it shares this new kind of open-world/sadbox motive as GTA but it's not that. 

I have a different view. Mafia was one of the very few M rated games my dad would allow me to get. I had originally wanted The Godfather but it was $10 and Mafia was $5 so I’ve always viewed it as a bargain bin franchise. I don’t mean that in a bad way either there are many good bargain bin games out there that I’ve enjoyed but that’s just how I view it. It was the OG Xbox version that disc ended up getting scratched :kekw: 

It wasn’t until like Mafia 2 when I started to view it differently. Godfather II came out a year before and it was terrible and Mafia 2 looked much better. The marketing was amazing for that game except for the delays. Sadly they cut out a lot of stuff. One thing I’ve always hated about the franchise is that it’s always been linear. Yes there’s free ride but it’s not the same thing I want to free roam during the story much like we can in GTA. Mafia 3 changed that but that game was terrible. 

Edited by Zello

10 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

What? Where did that come from?

The PS2 version is universally regarded as a very poor, buggy mess of a game. I know, I also had it for the PS2. The only improvement they made to the game was the radar minimap. IIRC, the city was so big, PS2 couldn't load it in entirety. There were actual loading screens between regions. Also, the audio was very low quality. Not to mention all the other aspects of the game that were inferior to the PC version.

Let's just say maybe I did misunderstand your intention but obviously what I thought you were meaning was not what you actually meant in which case, it happens.. You're not wrong about the PS2 I just misunderstood and thought you were taking a jab at me for it. Anyways, we got that cleared up now. Now I feel like an idiot

Maybe this is exactly why I said elsewhere previously to not drink and post, you'll regret it and look silly as hell. PC is most definitely the superior version

Edited by Tru Company
  • Realistic Steak! 2

• 1 month later...

I have played and completed "Mafia : Definitive edition" during the last week and a half, and while being a little bit let down initially I have to say that upon completion I rather liked it quite a bit.

My pc is quite ok, but I am slowed down by my 1070 so I noticed that the game did not run smoothly all the time but it was more then playable.

What I liked the most was the cars, done very well and I also enjoyed the physics. However very often I felt that the character animations were to stiff, they were not fluent enough and to be quite honest it did ruin a bit of the immersion for me.

I also stronlgy suspect, or know is more honest that my impression is a little bit hampered by the fact that I have just finished playing RDO daily and knowing the perfection of RDR2 it has spoiled me in terms of other games.

But I would recommend "Mafia : Definitive edtion" for players who played the original (like me) and new players for sure. Pick it up while it is  discounted during a sale as it is a single-player game. Its is raher short but have replay value in terms of difficulty settings. I will play it once more probably in a bit over a year or so on the hardest setting.