2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Mafia: The Trilogy

Rucke

Anyone find Mafia challenging at times? I most certainly died a few times on some missions. You have to be precise and get headshots and really be tactical in not getting hit. I'm playing without aim assist as I
think that's how the game should be played for me. I'm also playing on Classic with manual gears. I really like manual gears aspect although I wish there was a clutch button. 

I'm currently playing You Lucky Bastard and have died a few times on part of this chapter. I do like the challenge. I don't think it would be as rewarding just gliding through the game. It does feel satisfying getting those headshots and progressing. 

Also, been following Michael Franzese for some time. He's an ex Capo for the Colombo Crime Family. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

Anyone find Mafia challenging at times?

Happy Birthday is pretty difficult without aim assist and on classic difficulty. There is smoke and fireworks everywhere so you can barely see the thing and you are supposed to kill the guys from afar with a tiny pistol. Other than that it's okay, the last mission can be tricky at parts but I don't recall having great difficulties with other missions.

6 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

I really like manual gears aspect although I wish there was a clutch button. 

The clutch is just one of the great things they cut from the original sadly.

K2yjoYK.png

11 minutes ago, GhettoJesus said:

Happy Birthday is pretty difficult without aim assist and on classic difficulty. There is smoke and fireworks everywhere so you can barely see the thing and you are supposed to kill the guys from afar with a tiny pistol. Other than that it's okay, the last mission can be tricky at parts but I don't recall having great difficulties with other missions.

Yeah, I struggled on that one. I really enjoyed that mission but it was a bit of a pain. 

11 minutes ago, GhettoJesus said:

The clutch is just one of the great things they cut from the original sadly.

Ah.. so it was originally there? OK. I'd love to know why they cut it. 

1 hour ago, Mister Pink said:

Ah.. so it was originally there? OK. I'd love to know why they cut it. 

I'd love to know it as well although the clutch has never been that important in the original afaik. I don't recall the clutch being crucial for manual transmission. However there was a very handy trick involving the clutch if your car was leaking fuel because your fuel gauge didn't go down if you let go of the accelerator. Obviously you would come to a halt fast but holding down the clutch slowed the rate of the loss of speed. There was also a free ride extreme mission involving a thirsty car and several stops at the gas stations where you had to utilize the clutch mechanics to beat the mission.

Edited by GhettoJesus
  • Realistic Steak! 3

K2yjoYK.png

Decided to replay Mafia 3 recently. One of my favorite games, despite a lot of people complaining about "grinding" and protagonist not being a part of the mob.

You don't get many games like that, where you can build your criminal empire. 

Another thing that I like about it - setting and atmosphere. And developers had enough balls to touch some sensitive topics and weren't catering to anyone.

Gameplay is fun too, I can't remember any game where I was able to gun down a crowd of nice gentlemen dressed in white bed sheets with M60 machine gun.

Protagonist and his main accomplice are lovable too (Donovan is based af)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm re-playing Mafia 3 after my First run when it came out. Except I'm playing it on PC rather than console. The problem I had with this game was the over abundance of side missions. I know a lot of people like this, but it seems overdone here. But, hell I am going for it and have gotten a lot further than I did last time.

fV9tG4b.gif

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, sabitsuki said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-03/take-two-s-2k-cancels-53-million-game-from-developer-hangar-13

Bad news for Mafia fans. The new IP by Hangar 13 got canned, and there's probably gonna be some restructuring or worse, closure of the studio.

We're probably not gonna see Mafia 4 anytime soon.

gIM556b.png

Edited by SonnyNapoli

2 hours ago, sabitsuki said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-03/take-two-s-2k-cancels-53-million-game-from-developer-hangar-13

Bad news for Mafia fans. The new IP by Hangar 13 got canned, and there's probably gonna be some restructuring or worse, closure of the studio.

My guess is they close the California studio but keep the UK and Czech studios.

Edited by Zello

1 hour ago, Zello said:

My guess is they close the California studio but keep the UK and Czech studios.

Either way, it sucks to see hangar 13 go.

Hopefully the employees don't end up in one of rockstar or ea's sweatshops.

Edited by sabitsuki
  • Like 2

Creed Bratton
8 hours ago, sabitsuki said:

I'm sorry for the people who will lose their jobs if the studio closes, but they should not be developing Mafia anyway. They do not understand what kind of game it is supposed to be. They've proven that with Mafia 3 and then again with the remake of Mafia 1, which was a pretty but dumbed down version of the original.

• Like 3

I will be sad if Hangar 13 folds. I truly enjoyed MDE. I did not grew up with the original, I first played it in 2010 along with Mafia 2, so I don't have a lot of emotional attachment to it. And I honestly think the new game is better in almost every single way, although I understand people who are fond of the original will be defensive of it. I also played a bit of Mafia 3 recently, and so far I enjoyed it although I agree it's arguably the least interesting game of the trilogy, despite the rich setting and story. This series just can't catch a break. Meanwhile, GTA's rotten corpse somehow still moves on its own...

Did you see the frightened ones? Did you hear the falling bombs? Did you ever wonder...

CslLPae.png

...why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?

Hangar 13 weren't sh*tting gold or anything, but they put in genuine effort. Mafia III with the DLC is a damn fine game. The remake looks fun, if they changed dialogue and voice actors in a remaster that would be unacceptable, they differentiated it by making it its own thing entirely. All I'm saying is, no future for Mafia or gambling on another studio that will probably be worse is bad business.

I am gonna be harsh and say this is better for the franchise. Though of course I do feel sorry for the people who will be out of their jobs, probably the worst thing in life is to face uncertainty and joblessness. Buuut let's face the truth, Hangar 13 pretty much humiliated the Mafia franchise. Mafia III was horrible and the DE of Mafia was just a kick in the dick and quite frankly a degradation of the original game. Mafia wasn't a game that needed sequels to begin with. Now let this franchise rest.

• Like 1

K2yjoYK.png

I came back here to give the crown to the real Definitive Edition.

And it's definitely not the Rockstar one :sadkek:

Yeah, I going to continue playing this instead of the GTA DE for my fix of free-roam city-based games. GTA has just turned into a farce, really. 

If anything, I worry that the "Definitive Edition" suffix has now been forever tarnished by the poor state of the GTA trilogy, most people will think the same of the Mafia trilogy released in 2020. Let's not forget the massive difference in popularity between the two series. Sure, Mafia 2 and 3 just had some mere polishing, pretty badly done in the case of the older game. But the true gem that Mafia Definitive Edition is will sadly remain hidden, or getting prejudiced by most gamers because of this.

Edited by Nico
Did you see the frightened ones? Did you hear the falling bombs? Did you ever wonder...

CslLPae.png

...why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?

i hope they start developing a 4th mafia. it's an underated franchise. not perfect by any means but very enjoyable, effort is put into a story rather then just milking an online mode for money....

the remake of the first was great idk why some people dislike it so much. the 2nd is great as well, the 3rd is kinda meh but still njoyable. i'm hoping the next game, if done, i set in vegas in the 70s or even the 40s. 

12 hours ago, Alex816 said:

the remake of the first was great idk why some people dislike it so much. 

The first game has a certain set of fans who criticize everything.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:26 PM, Mister Pink said:

Yeah, I going to continue playing this instead of the GTA DE for my fix of free-roam city-based games. GTA has just turned into a farce, really. 

Cheeky Mafia fanboy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zello said:

The first game has a certain set of fans who criticize everything.

maybe idk. i know some people didn't like the chnage in voice actors but i thought they did great. the dialog in the old one aged horrendously imo lol.

• Realistic Steak! 1

7 minutes ago, Alex816 said:

maybe idk. i know some people didn't like the chnage in voice actors but i thought they did great. the dialog in the old one aged horrendously imo lol.

Mafia I fans are a umm..special bunch.

Some of the original Mafia fans grew up with the game so I understand they will look at it with rose-tinted glasses. I speak from experience with the characters in my avatar. Although I also learned that some nostalgic people are unwilling to see the flaws of the things they adored since childhood, and I get the impression a lot of OG Mafia fans are like that. I saw people downright lying about MDE just to make the original seem better. And then you add the fans of the game from Czech Republic, who see it as part of their national pride.

Edited by Nico
  • Like 3

CslLPae.png

Creed Bratton

Purely from a design philosophy perspective, the original Mafia was a better game. My gripe with Mafia Definitive Edition is the same as my gripe with Mafia 3. They didn't learn any lessons from Mafia 2, which perfected the formula. The only difference is that Mafia 3 is its own thing, so it kinda has the right to be whatever it wants to be, even if it strayed so far from what made Mafia 1 and 2 so great. And that was mainly attention to detail and realism aspect.

Mafia Definitive Edition is not its own thing. It's a remake of the original. I understand taking the liberty to change some elements of the story, and a lot of what they with the story and with the characters is superb. They have good writers at Hangar 13, no doubt about that. But they can't do gameplay, and they missed the point of the original. The game is shallow. The shooting mechanics from Mafia 3 make a return and they are abysmal. They could have and they should have copied the shooting mechanics from Mafia 2. The arcady missions with enemies appearing out of nowhere is not something that should be in a Mafia game, and there's too much reliance on scripted events which prohibits experimentation. An example of that is shooting the tires of the getaway car in "Ordinary Routine" or blocking the door in "Molotov Party", none of which is possible in Mafia Definitive Edition because of the scripted nature of the game. Those are objective faults.

• Like 4

To be fair, I kind of feel what you're saying @Yokelsson

Hangar 13 really put a lot of heart into Mafia 3 and DE, no doubt. You can feel it in the well crafted soundtracks, cutscenes and the overall vibes of the cities (e.g. the sunsets in New Bordeaux or the neon lit nights in Lost Heaven). The gameplay they provide is far behind their story-telling capacity. It's not bad, it's just alright.

It's a bit of a shame, with such great writers and visual designers the gameplay to be lagging a bit. It's the only thing that's holding Mafia back from being a 9-10/10 game now, to be honest.

You can really tell Hangar 13 are mostly comic book geeks and movie buffs. Both Mafia 3 and DE would make a great presentation for a movie or a visual novel.

Edited by Sergiu
  • Like 3

I agree that the new game has some design flaws. "An Offer You Can't Refuse" feels odd with the overwhelm of enemies you get when trying to escape with Paulie and Sam, and how organized they were (setting up a roadblock on the bridge shows this). It makes you believe they were by far the most wanted mobsters in the city that night, and the ending with that Hollywood-esque jump over the lift bridge is rather poor in my opinion. The original did this better.

But "A Trip To The County" is probably the worst offender in the remake. The gun fight at the farm is alright (to be honest, I don't dislike the fight mechanics in this game, although they aren't the best I ever tried either) but the ending chase is pure pain in Classic mode. There's no way to complete it in one go without dying or reloading checkpoints. All of it to show a chase that doesn't even make sense in certain moments, like the truck falling over a cliff and having Tommy and badly injured Sam glued to it like nothing. And then we are supposed to believe the machine gun of the armored van isn't powerful enough to take them down almost instantly, and shooting it with a Thompson during reload cycles is enough to destroy it. This whole segment is just bad, although I suppose it makes sense when you also take into account him coming home to see Sarah after almost nearly dying, and proposing her marriage. Makes Tommy look heroic, although at a cost.

A positive change I see is, for example, "Fairplay". Yes, that mission that is almost as badly remembered as "Supply Lines" from San Andreas. In the original you were told to be careful with the car, avoid the cops at all cost, and the car would handle badly after Lucas Bertone did his work on it. And yet, none of those things are true: you can't run into any cops, the car drives the same before and after and you can deliver it successfully even if it's partly damaged. The new game addressed these points.

Another positive change I see is that they allowed "Omerta" to be completed with stealth, although I think it makes more sense to go guns blazing like in the original because of a later reference in "La Créme De La Créme" where Paulie says the airport had just been fixed since "the last time". It gives it more continuity.

CslLPae.png

11 hours ago, Nico said:

Another positive change I see is that they allowed "Omerta" to be completed with stealth, although I think it makes more sense to go guns blazing like in the original because of a later reference in "La Créme De La Créme" where Paulie says the airport had just been fixed since "the last time". It gives it more continuity.

Tommy also tells Frank that the other guys won't be bothering them when the latter asks about Morello's guys, which doesn't make much sense if you stealth it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D9fred95 said:

Tommy also tells Frank that the other guys won't be bothering them when the latter asks about Morello's guys, which doesn't make much sense if you stealth it.

It can also be said that if Tommy enters the airport shooting everybody, perhaps the cops and Morello's people should have pressured Frank to give them the keys as soon as possible and let him go before Tommy reaches him. This applies to both games. Tommy being stealthy makes his appearance a surprise to everybody and gives him more control of the situation, although what you said is too a bit of an oversight. MDE doesn't give you much of a choice in how to do things, and yet where it does they tried to make it a bit ambiguous so both could make sense in a way.

• Like 1

CslLPae.png

On 11/19/2021 at 7:07 AM, Alex816 said:

the remake of the first was great idk why some people dislike it so much

I am probably the most vocal critic so I will give you my rundown which is going to be biased af because I played the original like 8 million times.

What's good in the remake:

Graphics: The game is beautiful, the lights are amazing and the fact that it ran on my PC was jaw-dropping. Even though I had to use the lowest graphics setting the graphcis were still one of the best I have ever seen. Just gorgeous.

The atmosphere: I think the car radio was a great addition even though it is anachronistic as car radios were more of a 40s thing. The music on them was great, the adverts and the programs made me feel like i am in the 30s. Like you have news about the nazis in the 1938 and you also have a program which reviews Roosevelt's inauguration speech and see what has been completed out of his promises. The depiction of the Great Depression was very well done. In the original game it doesn't seem to affect the people at all and it isn't discussed much. Tommy says that the times are tough and even though he works long hours he is happy to be working because at least he earns a living, even if he only gets to live in humble condition. That's as far as the depiction goes in the original. In the DE you can actually see the poverty and how it affected the people. I think there is even some newspaper in A Trip to the Country where there is some newspaper talking about farming and the Great Depression. So good job on that front.

The downside is that public transport is unavailable for the player. Like really? In the original you could ride trams and trains which was actually useful if you wanted to get away from the police. In the "definitive edition" you can't do either. Absolute state.

What was bad about the remake:

Story and characters: In the original the whole point of Tommy's character is that he joined the mob because he had no other choice. If he keeps on doing his job he risks his own safety so he needs to belong somewhere where he is protected. However, as he explains to Norman in an intermezzo, he has a problem with killing people who don't deserve it or who are close to him. This is why he can't bring himself to kill Michelle and Frank. In addition to this he has problem with killing people who can't really retaliate. This is first observed in You Better Get Used to It because he can't bring himself to kill the councilor's son who is near death, thinking that he may end up in his place once.

Later he has a problem with killing Michelle who tried to help her brother, but as a result the Salieri family suffered. She didn't mean any harm and she didn't know what her actions would entail. Also she is Sarah's friend so add these altogether and Tommy is now facing a dilemma. He lets her go, knowing full well that disobeying the Don's orders is the worst thing he can do. He also has an issue with killing Frank since he is his friend so he lets him go. Now contrast this Tommy to the remade Tommy. He has no issue with killing Michelle at all. Like what's with that? On top of it for some dumb ass reason Sam now asks Tommy not to kill Michelle. Like why change this part of the plot? This is even worse. Now Tommy looks like a cold blooded murderer who doesn't do what he is told because a friend asked him nicely but otherwise he would be totally down with killing her. That already ruins a big part of the plot.

Then in Omerta Tommy originally can't bring himself to pull the trigger, voluntarily offering Frank to leave once he reunites with his family, which surprises Frank. In the remake he is pretty damn close to pull the trigger. Like the whole point here is supposed to be that Tommy has a soft side for his friends and he wouldn't hesitate to place them higher than his boss's orders. Hell he even has problem with killing Sam originally

Also what's with Johnny (the friend of Billy, the councilor's son) recovering so fast? In the original when Paulie walks up to him (Johnny is lying unconscious in the car, presumed to be dead by the characters) to check on him he decides to put a bullet in him to be sure. However he notices that he is out of bullets and he says "This one's finished." indicating that he believes Johnny to be dead. Later (after an unspecified time, note this down) he recovers and can be found in the church on Billy's funeral. In the remake Paulie shoots Johnny in the neck. Like why not shoot him in the head if you want to make sure he is dead? Johnny recovers after one week in the hospital (very realistic) and holds a speech at the funeral (despite being shot in the neck) with one of his arm being in plaster. Like yeah this makes a lot more sense, very high quality change right there.

Just an additional note regarding the characters. I mean these as a more subjective critique but I think Frank was better written in the original when he is conversing with Tommy in the car. Like what's with that whole dog backstory? Lame. I think the ending was better written too in the original with the message being that no extreme choices in life will lead you to prosperity. I dunno I found this whole family stuff strange but I am probably being biased here since I am used to the original message. Though at least in the remake Tom's family actually gives a damn about him being shot on the front lawn. I always thought that was weird in the original how he is there alone and no one comes out to check on him. And to be honest it's nice to see how Tommy's life changed to be a prosperous and peaceful one. It's just not something I would have put in the spotlight personally.

Missions: Now this could go on and on but I am just gonna highlight a few gripes.

• What's up with completely revamping Lucas Bertone missions? Doesn't make much sense to me.
  • Why is everyone carrying molotov cocktails. Like really? Almost every mission you have someone armed with one. Even in the church. Yeah I bet flinging molotov cocktails is a wise thing in a closed space with flammable materials lying around.
  • Forced action sequences. This plagues the remake. In the original several missions don't put you into a forced gunfight or a car chase situation. This does. In Happy Brithday you originally assassinate the councilor and then you high tail it out of there and hop on the motorboat. In the remake you are forced into a long gunfight where you can't see sh*t because of the smoke and the fireworks. In Just for Relaxation you are originally meant to pose as a worker and put the crates on the truck once you have distracted the guard. Then as you reach the gate the guard notices you aren't carrying what you are supposed to (alternatively you can also refuse to stop which will also trigger the chase) and a car chase begins. In the remake you have the perfect plan to put the crates on the truck and no one notices you. Then for some reason some alarm triggers? Like come on now.
  • Butchered missions. In the original Moonlighting you also have a planning sequence. You go and get weapons, get a car then meet with Paulie again after he showed you the bank. In the remake it's straight to the robbery for some reason. Like why do this? It just takes away the soul. They have also removed a lot of You Lucky Bastard. In the original there are 4 attempts at killing Sergio. Assassinating him at a restaurant, placing a bomb under his car, trying to assassinate him in a parking lot of a restaurant and using a train to destroy his car at a crossing. The latter becomes a car chase which leads to the harbor shootout sequence. Running Man is also butchered although probably for the better. They have added passenger-customer interaction and reduced the passenger count from 5 to 3 which is okay.

Edit: What Nico said about mission changes obviously counts a plus, such as the change in Fairplay.

Edited by GhettoJesus

K2yjoYK.png

I loved Mafia DE, enjoyed III & I'm currently with II, despite some technical issues game feels more superior than the last two design choice, chapters gives you more freedom and atmosphere is top notch and inmersive.