4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Mafia: The Trilogy

Rucke

EnforcerKiller
1 minute ago, GhettoJesus said:

Well I really hope they get more work on it because none of the characters are recognizable. Plus I find it weird how the age rating says "all ages"

I would expect it to be difficult to recognize characters from a distance without many faces being visible and when comparing to a game from 2002.

Edited by EnforcerKiller
  • Like 1

Oh man, getting to drive those pre-war cars with modern graphics (and hopefully physics too) it's going to be so f*cking awesome.

Did you see the frightened ones? Did you hear the falling bombs? Did you ever wonder...

CslLPae.png

...why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?

GhettoJesus
1 minute ago, Nico said:

Oh man, getting to drive those pre-war cars with modern graphics (and hopefully physics too) it's going to be so f*cking awesome.

Physics were pretty good on the old engine so I hope they stay good on the new one. I assume this won't be Mafia 3's engine.

1 minute ago, EnforcerKiller said:

I would expect it to be difficult to recognize characters from a distance without many faces being visible and when comparing to a game from 2002.

There is one screenshot where it is no doubt it should be Tommy, Paulie, Sam, Ralph and someone else who we see from the back. I recognize Paulie's suit but he is waaaay older in this screenshot than he should be. I have no idea who the fat guy is (I would wager that Sam is the one from the back) and Tommy is sort of like 3/10. Ralph is okayish I guess.

Edited by GhettoJesus

K2yjoYK.png

the hype is real.... let's hope they deliver

VercettiGuy

Do you guys think they made the city feel more alive for 1? 

I mean the original was as alive as some Midtown Madness game.

Well, judging by the screenshots it looks more alive but we don't know if they are sugar-coated. We don't know if the game is actually going to look like that after release.

• Like 1
Did you see the frightened ones? Did you hear the falling bombs? Did you ever wonder...

CslLPae.png

...why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?

The Shakermaker

Seen the screenshots for The Mafia games, they look really good!

Not an expert in gaming, so is this a remake or remastered?

Also could they add more things not seen in the original and how customisable was the original?

GhettoJesus
12 minutes ago, RenegadeAngel said:

The first Mafia was probably one of the most hardcore shooters I've ever played. I wonder what they'll do with shooting mechanics this time around. Shooting was one of the few elements they actually did right in 3. Here's hoping 2K will show some gameplay, I really want to pre-order, but Hangar 13 are not quite reliable for the time being. I remember canceling the Mafia 3 pre-order as soon as I saw the gameplay.

I really loved the shooting mechanics in 1 and I hope they keep it the same. Mafia 1 was a difficult game for many (not just the Fairplay mission) and back then there was no cover system and you lost your remaining rounds if you reloaded but every weapon felt different. The enemies were also smart, used covers and could run out of ammo themselves. So yeah, keep it the same and you made me happy. I hope they keep the difficulty overall.

12 minutes ago, VercettiGuy said:

Do you guys think they made the city feel more alive for 1? 

I mean the original was as alive as some Midtown Madness game.

I definitely hope. The original trailer back in 2001 or so painted a more alive city than we got but it still felt alive in the end. Hopefully the screenshots are faithful in those terms.

6 minutes ago, The Shakermaker said:

Seen the screenshots for The Mafia games, they look really good!

Not an expert in gaming, so is this a remake or remastered?

Also could they add more things not seen in the original and how customisable was the original?

We don't know yet but seems a lot of things are changed (the screenshot in the night has to be a new mission but I really hope they don't add new missions and keep the story faithful. The original game was very linear. You went from mission to mission. You had a separate free ride mode and once you have completed a game you unlocked free ride extreme which was freeride but with wacky missions you could take on (like following an invisible man and chasing a UFO). There was 0 customization.

• Like 2

K2yjoYK.png

GhettoJesus
2 minutes ago, Abel Tesfaye said:

Eh...page got taken down just now...lol

The Microsoft store one? I can still open it.

YdS9Mtd.png

Also just saw this on the Microsoft store. Welp it is ruined for me.

Edited by GhettoJesus

K2yjoYK.png

ballstorture
1 minute ago, GhettoJesus said:

The Microsoft store one? I can still open it.

Eh glad to hear that,seems like just me can't open the link anymore,it only redirects me to their error pages... 

In this case new gameplay might be a good thing. The original's mechanics are long outdated by now. It's 2020, not 2002, gaming has come a long way in almost 20 years. If it's anything like Mafia 2, I'm sold.

• Like 1

CslLPae.png

GhettoJesus
3 minutes ago, RenegadeAngel said:

It's pretty much impossible to keep it the same with the new engine. Furthermore I heard that the console version (absolute garbage) of the game is a piece of cake compared to the PC as it has an auto-aim and enemies are not as agressive and it's back in 2003! Nowadays the consoles are obviously what they will work for primarily, so the difficulty will be almost non-existent, I suppose.

Too bad. They could still try to keep Fairplay's difficulty tho to screw with new players.

Edited by GhettoJesus

K2yjoYK.png

E•MO•TION

shutupandtakemymoney.png

I never had the opportunity to play the original, so I’m in for a real treat if it turns out looking like those screenshots. Colour me hyped!

• Like 1

L8m1zfV.png

Creed Bratton
12 minutes ago, Nico said:

If it's anything like Mafia 2, I'm sold.

Yup. Mafia 2 had the most refined gameplay mechanics and the most satisfying shooting of pretty much most third person shooters ever made IMHO. It's only a shame that they ditched the idea of losing ammo upon reloading. I would definitely keep that in the remake.

Mafia 1 looks completely revamped graphics wise. It's not simply a remaster with better textures running on the old engine, but rather a complete overhaul, or basically a remake. Great news! 

Edited by Jabalous

GhettoJesus

Actually I was probably just too pessimistic. There a lot of beta screenshots of Mafia 1 and some look like they were from cut missions. Here are some examples. Maybe they will restore them.

unknown.png

unknown.png

p6uVABQ.png

Edited by GhettoJesus
  • Like 2

K2yjoYK.png

Probably today is the best day in the last few months.I called my father,who was happy with the mafia remake and asked to borrow my console.Time flies by quickly...

• KEKW 2

Mafia 1 looks nice. I hope the remake makes free ride part of the open world instead of a separate mode. Though idk how they'd handle the ending.

I hope the Mafia II remaster includes all the DLC.

GhettoJesus
3 minutes ago, Zello said:

Mafia 1 looks nice. I hope the remake makes free ride part of the open world instead of a separate mode. Though idk how they'd handle the ending.

I really hope they don't. The game is very story-oriented and very linear. It would just feel weird if Tommy could go on a rampage between two missions. Well, you can go on a rampage during missions but no one would.

K2yjoYK.png

2 minutes ago, GhettoJesus said:

I really hope they don't. The game is very story-oriented and very linear. It would just feel weird if Tommy could go on a rampage between two missions. Well, you can go on a rampage during missions but no one would.

They should include the classic original game with 2002 graphics as well. Something we could switch between but idk if that's possible like what Halo did.

Edited by Zello

GhettoJesus
Just now, Zello said:

They should include the classic original game with 2002 graphics as well. Something we could switch between but idk if that's possible.

Nah that is just too much. It would be interesting but was there a game before that did that? Sounds like a lot of work.

K2yjoYK.png

Just now, GhettoJesus said:

Nah that is just too much. It would be interesting but was there a game before that did that? Sounds like a lot of work.

Halo combat evolved anniversary did it in 2011. I mean Hangar 13 did a complete remake of Mafia 1 judging by the screenshots. That looks way harder than including the old graphics.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 1

i too hope that free ride part of the open world. i hope you can drive from the city to countryside. like upstate or new jersey. also, so lost heaven and empire bays are 2 different cities right? what if they put both cities into one open world like maybe across the bridge or something

GhettoJesus
1 minute ago, Zello said:

Halo combat evolved anniversary did it in 2011.

Wow, interesting. Well I guess I would be up for that. I am kinda interested in the new graphics as well to be honest.

K2yjoYK.png

Electric_Spectral

I'm so excited for Mafia 1 Remake, i never got the chance to play the game and i cannot wait to experience it.

I think it would be absurd if they bothered to remake the entire Lost Heaven map with so much care for details, only to be used in the same archaic linear structure of the original game, going chapter after chapter. With a brillliant-looking world like that, and (hopefully) decent driving and fighting / shooting mechanics, I would gladly welcome a bit more of freedom for the player. If anything, they could make time pass quickly like GTA V does. That's IMO one of the few good things about V.

• Like 2

CslLPae.png

GhettoJesus
Just now, Oldsport said:

i too hope that free ride part of the open world. i hope you can drive from the city to countryside. like upstate or new jersey. also, so lost heaven and empire bays are 2 different cities right? what if they put both cities into one open world like maybe across the bridge or something

Lost Heaven is a different city indeed but it is hard to say which one because it is a mix of New York, San Francisco and Chicago. So it can't be really said how close they are.

K2yjoYK.png

Commander S

Those Mafia I screenshots look comparable to Mafia II promo shots - which makes me wonder if:

- Mafia I is a ground-up remake (albeit a 1:1 recreation of the first game, not a re-imagined version - think Shadow of the Colossus, not Final Fantasy VII), with the benchmark being Mafia II's visual style.

- Mafia II is a more traditional remaster, closer to Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

- Mafia III is a more thorough upgrade than what's already been done with the Pro/One X versions.

That's what I'd want, anyway - II to remain largely unchanged, I to match II, and III to not do anything that'd require a double-dip. I can see the need to overhaul stuff like the driving in Mafia I, but I'd rather not have any stylistic changes to things like vehicles in Mafia II - the one thing I want isn't a change, but an addition, which'd be a sandbox/free-roam mode (bit like the one in L.A. Noire) to let you play in the open world outside of the story chapters.

I can see some logic in trying to make Mafia III closer to the original plan for it: have it so that you can just do the lieutenant missions straight away, and doing all the Ubisoft-style busywork just affects things like how well-armed enemies are (bit like taking down underbosses in Crackdown). That'd make the game less of a drawn-out slog, because that'd make skipping optional side stuff more of a deliberate challenge, and less 'missing out on Content™'. But that'd be fundamental enough of a change to warrant making it a new version of the game, while also being not at all enough to justify having to buy it again...

...in any case, I was already on board with getting II again, just to enjoy a current-gen version (same as Saints Row the Third), but I wasn't all that fussed about the original - having seen those promo screens, though, I'm sold on both. :O

(well, only "both" if they don't screw with the look of II - if they've messed up the perfect vehicle designs from II, that's an instant deal-breaker for me! :harrumph:)

• Like 3