4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA VI Protagonist & Diversity

yungsufoto

Retro_Causality

the question about diversity also sometimes leads into the question of forcing an artist to write a specific story

R* likes to do the characters they want to write about, I will never try and tell them to write about anything else for the sake of doing "something new or different"

like i would never tell Tolstoy not to write about Russian culture

• Like 1
Orbea Occam

If you have an issue with black people being in Dutches gang then you are racist IMO

• Like 3
Jabalous
6 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

And again on this, your view is from what? Old Movies? Real history depicts there were a lot of black outlaws at that time period, where do you think a good chunk of escaped slaves went? And using your example of Mafia 2, that game DID have Asians and Latino representation via other gangs in the story in a realistic manner.

In a previous post, I wrote that there were black and female outlaws, but they were a minority relative to men of Euro descent. My main complaint is how unrealistically diverse the Dutch band is given the time period. Sure it's fiction, but given the context of Redemption 2 release, it comes off as unnatural and closer to being a trend follower. Several characters within the gang could've been removed and it'd have made no difference to the story, plus the story would've gained more historical accuracy and less filler drama. As for Mafia 2, my point is that there were no non-Italian elements within the Italian Mafia ranks. Asians and Latinos had their competing gangs, which is what and should've happened. We agree on that. 

Edited by Jabalous
D T
7 hours ago, Jabalous said:

I gave an example of the Dutch gang, but there is also the example of the inclusion of black characters in the Witcher series on Netflix, which does not relate to The Witcher books. That's clearly forced diversity for the sake of it. 

The inclusion of black characters in the Witcher? You mean that story set in a fantasy world with elves, gnomes, unicorns, and dragons? It's the black characters that bother you though? I think you should do some deep soul searching as to why a character not being white in a fictional television show enrages you enough to complain about it on an internet forum.

• Like 7
Jabalous
49 minutes ago, D T said:

The inclusion of black characters in the Witcher? You mean that story set in a fantasy world with elves, gnomes, unicorns, and dragons? It's the black characters that bother you though? I think you should do some deep soul searching as to why a character not being white in a fictional television show enrages you enough to complain about it on an internet forum.

The Witcher story is based on Slavic mythology, so the whole fantasy element is borrowed from real history of the Slavic culture. 

Some of my favorite fictional characters are black, or have African descent. Gustavo Fring is one example. He's an extremely well written character and serves a fitting role given his Chilean background. His homosexual personality doesn't come off as unnatural, is not into forced the writing, and it's no explored beyond what's necessary. I don't believe a homosexual Grand Theft Auto protagonist/antagonist would have an equally brilliant writing and we'd instead be forced to explore his sexuality in not so creative ways. We'll back to have 69 and penis jokes thrown in the story and whole missions could revolve around that. In such a scenario, I'd not surprised if there was a mission to kill people who made a joke about the protagonist's sexuality, or kill a bunch of homophobic people. The same thing applies for a heterosexual protagonist.

Edited by Jabalous
DexMacLeod
1 hour ago, Jabalous said:

In a previous post, I wrote that there were black and female outlaws, but they were a minority relative to men of Euro descent. My main complaint is how unrealistically diverse the Dutch band is given the time period. Sure it's fiction, but given the context of Redemption 2 release, it comes off as unnatural and closer to being a trend follower. Several characters within the gang could've been removed and it'd have made no difference to the story, plus the story would've gained more historical accuracy and less filler drama.

I thought the diversity in RDR2 felt mostly natural. "Old West" gang leaders were great at motivating and even manipulating disenfranchised people into joining their cause. The government was equally great at creating people, of all walks of life, who felt disenfranchised. It wasn't uncommon for those people to ride together. RDR2 is a heightened, exaggerated, and dramatised version of that, which is consistent with every other aspect of the game.

• Like 3
Zello
1 hour ago, Jabalous said:

In a previous post, I wrote that there were black and female outlaws, but they were a minority relative to men of Euro descent. My main complaint is how unrealistically diverse the Dutch band is given the time period. Sure it's fiction, but given the context of Redemption 2 release, it comes off as unnatural and closer to being a trend follower. Several characters within the gang could've been removed and it'd have made no difference to the story, plus the story would've gained more historical accuracy and less filler drama. 

Don't forget Red Dead Redemption II takes place in 1899 when the West was pretty much over. Decades after the Civil War and Reconstruction.

Edited by Zello
Dick Justice
5 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

The Witcher story is based on Slavic mythology, so the whole fantasy element is borrowed from real history of the Slavic culture. 

"Djinn are supernatural creatures mentioned in Islamic theology." Succubus originated from Judaism. Werewolves and vampires are in Christian mythology. The Witcher borrows its fantasy elements from f*cking everywhere, dude. Just because it was written in Poland doesn't mean it is entirely based on that region, that would be like saying Game of Thrones is based on America because GRRM is American.

As for Dutch's gang, you are aware that black people and women weren't all invented in the past twenty years by the evil-SJW's, right? Dutch's gang was built as a home for wayward souls. Every member of the gang had a place under that context. 

• Like 1
Pink Pineapple
6 hours ago, Raavi said:

7 pages of fragile masculinity and dudes that have deeper closets than Narnia.

You have a habit of coming into threads like these, hurling insults, and not contributing anything to the conversation. Tell us how a gay or female protagonist will improve the game.  

• Like 7
GTK0HLK
4 minutes ago, Pink Pineapple said:

You have a habit of coming into threads like these, hurling insults, and not contributing anything to the conversation. Tell us how a gay or female protagonist will improve the game.  

your asking the guy who as far as I see seems to be getting the popcorn ready..,

while it isnt about improving but not limiting or hindering any options for story..,

it is how it always is..,

asking that is practically a trick question..,

it doesn't just like a male, or straight protagonist doesnt improve the story..,

what matters is how it's written..,

and if many who want proof had faith in R* they wouldnt get in the way of it..,

as long as R* does it for the story of course..,(who knows what the future holds..,)

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
13 hours ago, Gtaman_92 said:

Ok, your point is? We recently had a gay protagonist which was Trevor and Rockstar is known for making each protagonist different for each game. If anything I think the next lead character should be either of someone of South American decent or a women since we haven’t had any of those yet. 

*Bisexual *Two Italian American mafia guy from LC protagonists, two black American gangbanger from LS protagonists, two black Dominican protagonists, multiple white protagonists, multiple straight protagonists. Sharing some similar traits doesn't mean protagonists can't be different from each other.

My point is there's no reason why the next protagonist couldn't happen to be gay. I'm not particularly wishing for it or arguing that it should be that over anything else, just that it isn't necessary to rule it out as an option. The protagonist being of South American descent or a woman would also be fine by me.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3
yolobigman

I hope we get three protagonist or more, but like how they did it in GTA 4. Different stories, for instance:

Biker Gang in Liberty City

Drug dealing in mexico and vice city

gang crime in Chicago / detroit

would love to have the option to be a police officer aswell

Jabalous
16 minutes ago, GTK0HLK said:

what matters is how it's written..,

Exactly. If I know that the protagonist/antagonist would be written in an equally brilliant way as, say, Gus Fring, then his sexuality wouldn't really matter to me. What I'm concerned about is that sexuality would be forced into the story, whether through missions and/or dialogue, more than necessary and not in a creative manner. Given the mostly humorous nature of the Grand Theft Auto universe, we'll end up with another cheesy story one the line of V, only this time it'd be about sexuality, homophobia, dating and clubs. I'd not trust a homosexual character, or sexuality, in the hands of R*'s writers, or practically any video games writer. They'd likely do a bad job at it. 

• Like 1
Orbea Occam
3 hours ago, Jabalous said:

In a previous post, I wrote that there were black and female outlaws, but they were a minority relative to men of Euro descent. My main complaint is how unrealistically diverse the Dutch band is given the time period. Sure it's fiction, but given the context of Redemption 2 release, it comes off as unnatural and closer to being a trend follower. Several characters within the gang could've been removed and it'd have made no difference to the story, plus the story would've gained more historical accuracy and less filler drama. As for Mafia 2, my point is that there were no non-Italian elements within the Italian Mafia ranks. Asians and Latinos had their competing gangs, which is what and should've happened. We agree on that. 

Out of a gang of 23, only 3 of them are black. Why is is this such an issue to you?

Having 3 black characters in the gang is more to do with the kind of character Dutch is, who he resonates with and the type of people he recruits. You seem to be forgetting in RDR1 his gang was mostly made up of native Americans.

• Like 1
Gettin up
14 hours ago, Zello said:

The average hooker is ugly and on drugs 

Ehh no. Maybe I've met just the high class ones.

billiejoearmstrong8
1 minute ago, Gettin up said:

Ehh no. Maybe I've met just the high class ones.

The VAST majority of prostitutes (especially street prostitutes) in the US are drug addicts.

• Like 1
Gettin up
Just now, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

The VAST majority of prostitutes (especially street prostitutes) in the US are drug addicts.

Damn girl... In the Europe they are nice and they don't need to stay on the streets. They just rent an apartment.

Jabalous
1 hour ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

Out of a gang of 23, only 3 of them are black. Why is is this such an issue to you?

Having 3 black characters in the gang is more to do with the kind of character Dutch is, who he resonates with and the type of people he recruits. You seem to be forgetting in RDR1 his gang was mostly made up of native Americans.

Maybe there's an interesting angle in creating a fictional character that is as progressive and idealist as Dutch, which is something that is not depicted in another form of entertainment, be it a book or TV. I'd give it to R* for being original in this regard, but I still believe they went overboard with it, or as DexMacLeod wrote above, it is an exaggerated and dramatized version of the period. I'd have preferred the Dutch band to have more resemblance to what an Old Western gang was like, so only men of Euro and Mexican descent, and take the O'Driscolls as an example. I cannot find a gang in which whites, black, Mexicans, natives and wandering women were roaming the land to search for an exaggerated utopia. Maybe it worked for Redemption 2, but it's only a matter of preference for pure fiction vs. fiction that is inspired by real history. I tend to prefer the latter, whether it is a game, TV or a book. It also happens that the latter option usually happens to be more highly regarded/rated among critics and genre fans, and it's for a good reason. 

Edited by Jabalous
billiejoearmstrong8
23 minutes ago, Gettin up said:

Damn girl... In the Europe they are nice and they don't need to stay on the streets. They just rent an apartment.

Pretty sure there's plenty of prostitutes in Europe who are desperate drug addicts or victims of human trafficking as well. 

23 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

Maybe there's an interesting angle in creating a fictional character that is as progressive and idealist as Dutch, which is something that is not depicted in another form of entertainment, be it a book or TV. I'd give it to R* for being original in this regard, but I still believe they went overboard with it, or as DexMacLeod wrote above, it is an exaggerated and dramatized version of the period. I'd have preferred the Dutch band to have more resemblance to what an Old Western gang was like, so only men of Euro and Mexican descent. I cannot find a gang in which whites, black, Mexicans, natives and wandering women were roaming the land to search for an exaggerated utopia. Maybe it worked for Redemption 2, but it's only a matter of preference for pure fiction vs. fiction that is inspired by real history. I tend to prefer the latter, whether it is a game, TV or a book. It also happens that the latter option usually happens to be more highly regarded/rated among critics and genre fans. 

Rockstar games rarely go for pure realism though. They're all about satire. Racism and sexism are themes that come up in RDR but it's in a satirical form where those attitudes are lampooned. It wouldn't be easy to do that, or to make the characters you play as and work with at all likeable, if they were all just white men who were as typically prejudiced as many people at that time were. And besides that there were people who were more progressive at that time as well, and Dutch is portrayed as being a particularly progressive free thinker, so it isn't completely out of the realms of believeabilty.

White + a couple of Mexicans all male cowboy gangs have been done so many times before that I don't think it would've been a better artistic choice. While women and racial minorities didn't make up the majority of cowboy gangs/exploits in the old west they did play roles in it and they have been under-represented in media. I think it's ok to redress the balance a bit with a slight over-representation that works in the context of a satirical video game.

• Like 3
Jabalous
10 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Rockstar games rarely go for pure realism though. They're all about satire. Racism and sexism are themes that come up in RDR but it's in a satirical form where those attitudes are lampooned. It wouldn't be easy to do that, or to make the characters you play as and work with at all likeable, if they were all just white men who were as typically prejudiced as many people at that time were. And besides that there were people who were more progressive at that time as well, and Dutch is portrayed as being a particularly progressive free thinker, so it isn't completely out of the realms of believeabilty. And white + a couple of Mexicans all male cowboy gangs have been done so many time before that I don't think it would've been a better artistic choice.

I'd also give it for R* that they included parts where prejudice/distaste is voiced by the in-game characters, and also subtly implied in some other parts, like when Bill talked about the savagery of Indians only to find Dutch shutting him up and justifying their savagery. We can also find moments where prejudice and subtle racism are depicted within the gang itself, but it's usually portrayed by Micah and Bill. Overall, it's still all pure fiction, which I tend not to prefer, but I'd not say it's not well-written or original. 

Spider-Vice

I fail to see where RDR2's forced diversity is. You cannot tell me or anyone else that in 1899 there weren't American natives, women and people of colour seeking refuge in one of the most racist and misogynistic countries in the world especially at the time. Things like the KKK already existed (and are in fact portrayed in RDR2), and it's not like women were treated like saints in that time either.

It makes complete sense that characters like the women from the camp, Charles and the other natives exist. It's not forced diversity, it's actually quite real. You're grasping at straws to confirm your own insecurities and (quite honestly crappy) opinions if you think a game set in 1899 has forced diversity.

2 cents etc.

• Like 5
  • YEE 1
SonofLosSantos
52 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

How many “prostitutes” do you know?

because if we’re getting like that, most Americans in general are drug addicts lol. Those opioids are ravaging the people under the poverty line.

4 hours ago, Pink Pineapple said:

I think the best example I can give would be Luis. IF he was gay, it would make sense in the context of the story. I mean, it wouldn’t have changed anything. Would it have added anything to his character? I’m not sure, but it definitely wouldn’t have taken anything away from him. 

We have already had 2 bisexual rockstar protagonists. Jimmy and Trevor. I don’t think it’s far fetched to think that we’d get a gay one eventually.

AND ANOTHER THING. most of my way playing through RDR2 ,I honestly thought Arthur was gay. I seriously thought he was a homosexual man. You couldn’t enjoy brothels, and things like that so I just assumed he wasn’t interested in women. Obviously you meet his ex wife and there are revelations about his past life that dissolve this theory, but the whole time I was playing, up until that point, I thought to myself, “huh... a gay cowboy? Makes sense” 

Edited by SonofLosSantos
Jabalous
41 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

I fail to see where RDR2's forced diversity is. You cannot tell me or anyone else that in 1899 there weren't American natives, women and people of colour seeking refuge in one of the most racist and misogynistic countries in the world especially at the time. Things like the KKK already existed (and are in fact portrayed in RDR2), and it's not like women were treated like saints in that time either.

It makes complete sense that characters like the women from the camp, Charles and the other natives exist. It's not forced diversity, it's actually quite real. You're grasping at straws to confirm your own insecurities and (quite honestly crappy) opinions if you think a game set in 1899 has forced diversity.

2 cents etc.

Natives, Mexicans, blacks and women were indeed real back then, as real as they are now and throughout the evolution timeline of the human species. However, a racially diverse band of outlaws were not real in the southwest at that time. You can look up the old Western gangs yourself. You won't find one where men, women, blacks, natives and Mexicans banded together in the search of racism-free and Utopian society. I'd wager that most outlaws were actually racist and held prejudice against other races. The Mafia series and L.A.Noire are more courageous in portraying society for how it was during the time period that takes place in. Story characters openly use racial slurs against other races and even Take2 had to respond to racism claims surrounding Mafia 2. For me, it's not racism, but rather being true to history. It's one way to learn and improve ourselves as a society, and this is not an endorsement of how things were back then.

Edited by Jabalous
billiejoearmstrong8
23 minutes ago, SonofLosSantos said:

How many “prostitutes” do you know?

because if we’re getting like that, most Americans in general are drug addicts lol. Those opioids are ravaging the people under the poverty line.

It's just a fact. The main reason people turn to the extremely hazardous job of selling sex on the street is to pay for a drug addiction. Most are also very vulnerable to abuse and exploitation. Someone's trying to claim that most prostitutes aren't on drugs or are "high class" and like....no.

• Like 1
Lonely-Martin

I fell asleep late last night while reading this thread, It's f*cking wild and I couldn't stop reading some of the nonsense, lol.

But as to the point, I genuinely couldn't care less what type of lead character(s) we get. As long as we get a great story and fantastic world, one that allows us as many options to play how we each want is all good here.

I just don't get what some people's issue is, so what if there's a gay lead or female, black, Chinese, whatever. Couldn't care less, unless R* compromise their great ability to create a story/world.

I'm more worried of the franchise dropping story modes altogether than I am about the traits of the character we may be playing as. R* has always indulged my sense of humour, and I can't, or at least don't, ever want to see that change.

TheSantader25

I personally didn't detect forced diversity in RDR2. However one thing that I did notice was R* playing it safer than usual. No brothels, Minimum nudity and overall a different approach to women in comparison to the usual R* I know. Which is kind of upsetting. Prostitutes were a big part of the old west.

We also hear in RDR that Abigail was supposed to be a prostitute(Dutch once said we all had her but he married her) which makes me believe that Dutch's gang DID keep a couple of them around but we don't see any of that. In short, I didn't see the "edgy" RockstarGames that always knew no boundaries in RDR2. And that's kind of worrying. These kinds of things might be offensive to women, but in the end they are a part of the criminal underworld. So they should be represented. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 5
CrimsonFolo

RDR2 - maybe that was to be more of that romance story between arthur and that lady right? the content they had to cut out for some reason IIRC. Maybe Arthur not wanting to use brothels and such may have related to that perhaps.

Diversity - Don't really mind what ethnicity protag is as long as they are good protags (Like Niko, Tommy, etc...). Thing with sexuality is that it generally doesn't add much to the story besides just being a character trait i guess. Unless they want to add it to the story but again, as GTA is more based on action and killing and stuff, I don't think it would be a major story element. 

Gender - I feel it would be harder to write and base a GTA on a female character. GTA 1 had that selection of female characters but that was literally just a reskin of your character really and it was more like an arcade game back then. There are not many strong female characters in GTA (not strong as in physical strength) asides from maybe Catalina? If they decide to go down the 3 character route again, it might be interesting to see one of them being female but we'll see what rockstar does in due course lol

SonofLosSantos
19 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

It's just a fact. The main reason people turn to the extremely hazardous job of selling sex on the street is to pay for a drug addiction. Most are also very vulnerable to abuse and exploitation. Someone's trying to claim that most prostitutes aren't on drugs or are "high class" and like....no.

Dude it’s 2020, there MAY be VERY VERY FEW prostitutes on the street, but almost all prostitutes I knew made their money meeting people over the Internet. It’s just safer, more practical, and more convenient. That’s why I’m asking you how many prostitutes you know PERSONALLY, because it sounds like you have no clue what you’re talking about. Women don’t just become prostitutes with the sole purpose of fueling their drug addictions. To be honest tho are more few and far between. These girls are out here f*cking old men and getting Benzes and paying for college with that money. It’s not the 1990’s anymore. Escorting/prostitution has completely changed. The current First Lady of the United States was turning tricks for her would be husband 😂

but this is an entirely different subject 

14 minutes ago, CrimsonFolo said:

RDR2 - maybe that was to be more of that romance story between arthur and that lady right? the content they had to cut out for some reason IIRC. Maybe Arthur not wanting to use brothels and such may have related to that perhaps.

Diversity - Don't really mind what ethnicity protag is as long as they are good protags (Like Niko, Tommy, etc...). Thing with sexuality is that it generally doesn't add much to the story besides just being a character trait i guess. Unless they want to add it to the story but again, as GTA is more based on action and killing and stuff, I don't think it would be a major story element. 

Gender - I feel it would be harder to write and base a GTA on a female character. GTA 1 had that selection of female characters but that was literally just a reskin of your character really and it was more like an arcade game back then. There are not many strong female characters in GTA (not strong as in physical strength) asides from maybe Catalina? If they decide to go down the 3 character route again, it might be interesting to see one of them being female but we'll see what rockstar does in due course lol

Elizabeta would’ve made a good protagonist imo

• Like 1
Orbea Occam
14 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

I personally didn't detect forced diversity in RDR2. However one thing that I did notice was R* playing it safer than usual. No brothels, Minimum nudity and overall a different approach to women in comparison to the usual R* I know. Which is kind of upsetting. Prostitutes were a big part of the old west.

We also hear in RDR that Abigail was supposed to be a prostitute(Dutch once said we all had her but he married her) which makes me believe that Dutch's gang DID keep a couple of them around but we don't see any of that. In short, I didn't see the "edgy" RockstarGames that always knew no boundaries in RDR2. And that's kind of worrying. These kinds of things might be offensive to women, but in the end they are a part of the criminal underworld. So they should be represented. 

Just because we as the player couldn't 'interact' with prostitutes in RDR2 doesn't mean they didn't have a presence. If you ask me they were represented quite heavily throughout the game. All those women standing around in saloons and bars, what do you think they were there for? The women assisting you bathe? The prostitute who was murdering clients? The brothel shack? For me some of Susanne Grimshaw's characteristics and mannerisms suggested she was some sort of mistress. Also in RDR1 prostitutes weren't a gameplay option and that game was 10 years ago. 

RDR2 actually caught a lot of heat when that youtuber starting uploading videos of him brutally killing that feminist in numerous ways - a feminist that was clearly put there by Rockstar for players to do such things. It was also by far Rockstars most violent and gory game to date, you can really carry out some sick, twisted and heinous acts in that game which female NPC's aren't exempt from, so I dont really see how they've gone soft with regards to the controversy their games create. 

• Like 3