3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA VI Protagonist & Diversity

yungsufoto

DexMacLeod
14 minutes ago, José_Sócrates said:

That would only work with a bi protagonist, which in my opinion could be the best option to appease both genders in terms of strip clubs and sex workers.

Well, in that scenario the character wouldn't need to have a predetermined sexual orientation at all. The player would choose. Just like how when I play GTA IV Niko's not into prostiutes but for other people maybe he's banging hookers everyday.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1
Gtaman_92

We recently had a gay protagonist which was Trevor, I see no reason to add one again unless R* has a good reason too in terms of the story.

• Like 2
JESUS CHRlST
2 hours ago, The Time Ranger said:

Am I handsome?

To stay in the spirit of the thread, let's just say that reality is subjective...

• Like 2
methcraft
On 5/1/2020 at 6:36 PM, Jabalous said:

How about a normal, engaging and believable Crime story and protagonist? There's no need to cater to personalities that are rarely seen in real crime or crime fiction. There would be need for the writers to push sexuality into the story dialogue and events. it's a series revolving around crime fiction and not commentary on sexuality and other societal issues, except in radio chatter and other in-game media. V had enough of that in the story and I'm hopeful that nothing like it would sneak into the writing again. Any rare crime-based personality would turn me off instantly, like in the instance of the game featuring a female protagonist. 

Where do you get this idea that gay people are not doing crime? Why could a heister like michael in gtav not just also happen to be a gay man? Or even Franklin? Sure he would be closeted but if written correctly, I think that could create some very interesting dynamics.

There are real life examples out there too. Look up John D'Amato for example. At one point he was the head of the DeCavalcante crime family (which the Sopranos was based on). So if a closeted gay man (or bi...) could climb up the ranks to become the boss of an Italian-American mafia organization, don't you think there would be plenty of others in the mafia? Let alone in other fields of criminal activity.

Writers don't have to push anything. It's just a story from the perspective of a criminal. And being human, chances are they like sex. It would be weird or even bad storytelling to not include it at all. I just hope we get an interesting protagonist with a realistic but also in-depth and dark backstory in stead of some boring generic gangster...

• Like 2
D T
6 hours ago, Gtaman_92 said:

We recently had a gay protagonist which was Trevor, I see no reason to add one again unless R* has a good reason too in terms of the story.

We recently had a straight protagonist which was Arthur, I see no reason to add one again unless R* has a good reason too in terms of the story.

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
Niobium

"no i don't want a gay protagonist for the sake of it therefore there should not be one".... i don't think many people asking for a gay protagonist just for the sake of diversity. i think there could be a good opportunity to tell a different story with a gay character. gay criminals aren't really explored in the GTA universe, so i think it could be a good opportunity to tell a story from a different perspective

"but trevor is already gay!" trevor sucks. he doesn't count

Edited by Niobium
  • Like 4
Pink Pineapple
On 5/1/2020 at 4:36 PM, Ash_735 said:

GTA3 - Straight Male

GTA VC -Straight Male

GTA SA - Straight Male

GTA LCS - Straight Male

GTA VCS - Straight Male

GTA IV - Straight Male

GTA TLAD - Straight Male

GTA TBOGT - Straight Male

GTA Advanced - Straight Male

GTA V - 2x Straight Male + 1x Anything Goes Male

That's what got GTA to become the huge success it is and they should stick with that. A straight male protagonist is the best fit and it's what most people want.

What's the point in changing what works?

• Like 4
D T
57 minutes ago, Pink Pineapple said:

That's what got GTA to become the huge success it is and they should stick with that. A straight male protagonist is the best fit and it's what most people want.

What's the point in changing what works?

"What's the point in changing what works?" he types, as he sits at his desk desperately awaiting the next iteration in a franchise famous for fundamental changes in each title.

Pink Pineapple
11 minutes ago, D T said:

a franchise famous for fundamental changes in each title.

You don't seem to understand the meaning of fundamental.

• Like 1
Zello
On 5/1/2020 at 3:29 PM, Zello said:

A lot of criminals spend time in prison. Prison is notorious for dropping the soap and homosexual relationships. Some guys not all who spend time in prison might be gay when they get released especially if they were in there for a long time. Some of it could just be an exaggeration seen in movies and TV shows maybe a lot more guys would compromise and jack off into a tissue instead of ever thinking about banging another guy but I'm sure it does happen.

Have a protagonist who just got released from prison after 10-13 years. They could make a couple missions where he meets up with his former prison cellmate who he was very close with. The protagonist has moved on but his former prison lover hasn't and is hearbroken because he thought that the love they had on the inside was real and that they would be together on the outside. That would make a good side story. 

Edited by Zello
Aquamaniac
20 hours ago, Collibosher said:

Sorry but there really is just one conclusion; Homosexuals do exist and it's not a choice or "value". The existence of homosexuality is not a matter of ones "opinion" as they don't cease to exist even in the most traditional cultures. Therefore being "against" it is eternally invalid stance.

Homosexuals are a minority (women are not), alone from a commercial point of view it is stupid to anger a majority to please a minority, I would certainly not date another man in a video game and I do not want to be forced to do so, I wouldn't mind male hookers and male strip clubs, since it is not obligatory to interact with hookers at all.

A gay protagonist has no benefit other than to please the gay community, whereas also straight men like to play female characters.

There are a lot of things that exist and yet nobody in his sane mind would suggest to have it in a video game.

Edited by Aquamaniac
  • Like 3
The Made Man

We already had a gay protagonist(Trevor). R* should take a it a step further and have a transexual protagonist.🤪

billiejoearmstrong8
51 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

Homosexuals are a minority (women are not), alone from a commercial point of view it is stupid to anger a majority to please a minority, I would certainly not date another man in a video game and I do not want to be forced to do so, I wouldn't mind male hookers and male strip clubs, since it is not obligatory to interact with hookers at all.

A gay protagonist has no benefit other than to please the gay community, whereas also straight men like to play female characters.

There are a lot of things that exist and yet nobody in his sane mind would suggest to have it in a video game.

Should they also only create white protagonists since white people are the majority in the US and racists might not want to play as a person of another race? GTA isn't the Sims, the protagonists aren't a representation of you they're their own character and the vast majority of things they do have never been the player's own choice. Players are "forced" to make the character do things, not themselves. When the character terrorises, murders, betrays, tortures, (in the case of Trevor) cannabalises or sexually abuses people that isn't you doing it and neither is it you doing it when they date someone. If a character you play as going on a date with a guy (not that dating has ever been anything more than a minor aspect of the games or even guaranteed to be included at all anyway, it wasn't in GTA V and in other games it's mostly optional) is more of an issue than the character doing those other things that's your hang up to deal with. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
Zello
1 hour ago, Aquamaniac said:

You know if you think really hard about it Niko was kinda gay.

2099.png

You can sum up the story as he came here to look for men. He searched through all of Liberty city to find that special someone he thought that Florian was the one for him but it really ended up being Darko.

hxIsnDK.jpg?1

Edited by Zello
  • Like 2
  • KEKW 2
Aquamaniac

Niko pretended to be gay to kill a gay, this is quite the opposite of being gay, I'd rather had the feeling they were mocking gays.

A gay character is stupid too in terms of gameplay, you can't have "OG Gay" in story, being the gayest gangsta ever since and bullsh*t like that or whatever and later bang him hookers or hang around in strip clubs; if you take out the hookers and the strippers, the people who don't care about gays would be pissed only because the strippers are gone and what's the point having a gay character who isn't gay at all according to his general behavior?

Collibosher
1 hour ago, Aquamaniac said:

Homosexuals are a minority (women are not), alone from a commercial point of view it is stupid to anger a majority to please a minority,...

This is not about "pleasing" anyone. The point is, that if R* has a great idea for a character and it happens to be gay or female, then they should really go with it and not give a sh*t what the majority of the player base (12 yo boys?) thinks. I assume we want the game designers to have full creative freedom and don't want them to pander and do games dollar signs in their eyes? Otherwise the GTA 6 will be a game aimed for 12 year olds with flying bikes, micro-transactions and 100% online, not a timeless master piece.

• Like 1
Spider-Vice
14 hours ago, DexMacLeod said:

I don't get why the thread would be locked. I understand it's easier than giving out warnings, bans, and deleting posts but silencing the conversation entirely sends a terrible, terrible message.

I think you've got the wrong message here, the reason these topics usually end up locked is because it stops being constructive discussion and starts being arguing after arguing and many times slinging insults and slurs (which is where the warns and bans come in). Historically every single one of these topics has spun out of control, so it's not for no reason we're always sceptical about them, unfortunately. It just becomes a moderation nightmare overall sometimes.

• Like 3
  • KEKW 1
Aquamaniac
32 minutes ago, Collibosher said:

Otherwise the GTA 6 will be a game aimed for 12 year olds with flying bikes, micro-transactions and 100% online, not a timeless master piece.

Most likely it will be anyways, games have become too expensive in production to not appeal to the mainstream, and what has to appeal to the mainstream lacks artistic freedom.

What about a KKK protagonist, it might made a good story as well but certainly will not happen, the KKK is as real as homosexuals, yet nobody seriously suggests it.

And please stop kind of equating women and gays, a female protagonist is a wholly different story than a gay.

Gettin up

I just don't think it would suit a game like GTA which majority playerbase is men in their 20-30 age.
Good looking women play a good part of GTA in my opinion.

marquuard
1 hour ago, Spider-Vice said:

I think you've got the wrong message here, the reason these topics usually end up locked is because it stops being constructive discussion and starts being arguing after arguing and many times slinging insults and slurs (which is where the warns and bans come in). Historically every single one of these topics has spun out of control, so it's not for no reason we're always sceptical about them, unfortunately. It just becomes a moderation nightmare overall sometimes.

Calling someone bigoted dipsh*t because of someone's personal (but harsh) opinion on this matter crosses a certain line. And leaving it here just because you agree with his viewpoint isn't what you call constructive discussion and control. The relevant rules should not be interpreted differently even when we agree with someone's opinion. It should have been about opinions and discussions without personal involvement.

Edited by marquuard
  • Like 3
billiejoearmstrong8
14 minutes ago, marquuard said:

Calling someone bigoted dipsh*t because of someone's personal (but harsh) opinion on this matter crosses a certain line. And leaving it here just because you agree with his viewpoint isn't what you call constructive discussion and control. The relevant rules should not be interpreted differently even when we agree with someone's opinion. It should have been about opinions and discussions without personal involvement.

When people are posting that gay people are disgusting or not normal that is making the discussion personal. Not everyone on this website is straight and comments like that are ignorant and insulting. Objectively bigoted comments aren't just a "harsh opinion" and deserve to be called out for what they are. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 1
marquuard
14 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

When people are posting that gay people are disgusting or not normal that is making the discussion personal. Not everyone on this website is straight and comments like that are ignorant and insulting. Objectively bigoted comments aren't just a "harsh opinion" and deserve to be called out for what they are. 

That is why it should be closed. On this matter two options are: either you accept it or you are against it. It's so opinion-based you can't express anything without insulting someone while satisfying others. Either you're on the pro- or contra-side of this.

• Like 3
[Ambient]

Just like with a female protagonist, I'm not against the idea, as long as it's not a "oh look I'm the gayest gay of all the gays" type protagonist whose homosexuality is treated like a personality trait.

• Like 5
Gerald Ford
On 5/1/2020 at 12:41 PM, Schwartzxz said:

f*ck no. if Rockstar starts doing that sh*t where they have to represent the women and the gays and other endangered species Ill never ever buy or play another game from them. movies have been doing that sh*t and I barely even watch any new movie these days. Im sick of it.

Endangered Species... That made me crack

billiejoearmstrong8
33 minutes ago, marquuard said:

That is why it should be closed. On this matter two options are: either you accept it or you are against it. It's so opinion-based you can't express anything without insulting someone while satisfying others. Either you're on the pro- or contra-side of this.

I think it should be able to be discussed without making offensive and insulting comments. 

Officer Ronson
3 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

Niko pretended to be gay to kill a gay, this is quite the opposite of being gay, I'd rather had the feeling they were mocking gays.

A gay character is stupid too in terms of gameplay, you can't have "OG Gay" in story, being the gayest gangsta ever since and bullsh*t like that or whatever and later bang him hookers or hang around in strip clubs; if you take out the hookers and the strippers, the people who don't care about gays would be pissed only because the strippers are gone and what's the point having a gay character who isn't gay at all according to his general behavior?

To be fair they did make gay pedestrians in IV overly flamboyant and a joke by giving them female pedestrian pain & scream voice sets. The Gay pedestrians in V are also overly flamboyant and then there's the crossdresser male prostitutes. 

~INDIO~

On 5/1/2020 at 11:41 AM, Schwartzxz said:

f*ck no. if Rockstar starts doing that sh*t where they have to represent the women and the gays and other endangered species Ill never ever buy or play another game from them. movies have been doing that sh*t and I barely even watch any new movie these days. Im sick of it.

Maybe this is why Dan left, doesn't want to have this bullsh*t forced into his stories

Edited by ~INDIO~