Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

GTA VI Protagonist & Diversity


yungsufoto

Recommended Posts

DexMacLeod
3 hours ago, mussefar03 said:

Lezlie Benzie himself said that when asked about a girl protag, he replied that it isn't a bulletlist they were making, they were making a good game with the right characters. Not just a girl for the sake of it.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that a woman could never be the right character for a story. It just means that they didn't think a female was right for the story in whatever game he was trying to sell when he said that.

 

59 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

As a man I could easily enjoy Tomb Raider series, or Mirror's Edge or Remeber me or TLoU (2013) where we played as Ellie for a while. Why then girls would have a problem with playing as a guy?

 

I don't know that the majority of them have a problem with it so much as they just prefer to play as someone they can relate to a bit more. As a black man I don't mind playing as a white man but there's an added layer of connection when playing as anything else, especially a black man. It's hard to describe the feeling because it's a subtle, almost subconscious thing.

 

At the same time, I don't agree with the idea of forcing a type of character into a story just to please a certain demographic. I don't really think Rockstar would do that, but I also don't think it really matters. No matter who the protagonist is or what they look like, some group's gonna be upset about it. Some people seem to be upset about even the thought of it.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
GinsengElixir
7 hours ago, Kris194 said:

This is kind of argument I will never, ever understand. As a man I could easily enjoy Tomb Raider series, or Mirror's Edge or Remeber me or TLoU (2013) where we played as Ellie for a while. Why then girls would have a problem with playing as a guy? What's next? Will we replace Mario with Princess just because more girls are playing games nowadays? Personally I also want to play as a straight guy, don't bring "diversity" where it's not needed or where it even doesn't make any sense. By the way, RDRII had plenty of diversity in terms of characters. This world is seriously getting more and more crazy with each passing year.

 

Except I didn't say replace male characters with female ones, you've just cherry picked one line from my entire post and gone on a nonsensical rant. 

 

If given the choice I would want to play as a male, that's just my preference. Playing as a female character is also fine for me if they're written well and relateable, in other words not a female empowerment Mary Sue meme. That said there are not many female protags in gaming, so if they were to have one in GTA6, ok fine, but don't take away my choice to play as a male aswell. 

 

Having female protags is not a sign of the world getting crazy, so you should stop projecting. Replacing every traditionally male character with a female is however the sign of craziness. But then again I didn't suggest that. 

 

I'm sure there are 'girl gamers' who have no issue playing as male characters, but in the same way we want to play as men, some or many probably want to play as female characters. Should they be sidelined? No-one should be sidelined. If the writers can do it authentically and not as some puff feminist piece then all the better. But as I wrote, I'd rather play as a guy in a GTA game. If playing as a female in a GTA game was my only choice, I'd probably think twice. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Orbea Occam
16 hours ago, Damien Scott said:

Lol Michael is more developed and has more depth than all the 3D Era protagonists combined.

 

Having a family and seeing a psychiatrist doesn't make you in depth nor interesting. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Damien Scott
1 hour ago, Orbea Occam said:

Having a family and seeing a psychiatrist doesn't make you in depth nor interesting. 

A retired bank robber with family issues going through mid-life crisis is surely more interesting and original than a stereotypical gangster/mobster, a Tony Montana inspired drug kingpin and a silent hitman.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Ser_Salty
5 hours ago, Damien Scott said:

A retired bank robber with family issues going through mid-life crisis is surely more interesting and original than a stereotypical gangster/mobster, a Tony Montana inspired drug kingpin and a silent hitman.

What about an eastern european immigrant, who fought in the balkan wars and now has to live with all of the things he's done, the only anchor of home in a new, strange town is his cousin, a person he cares deeply about but keeps hurting with his actions, getting him shot, his home and business burnt down, kidnapped (and potentially killed)? Or a biker that's been leading the MC for the past few years while the MC president was in rehab, but now he's back and turning sh*t upside down, tearing the family apart, forcing said biker to choose between loyalty and family? Or a gangbanger that ran away after his brother was pointlessly killed, returning because his mother is now dead, too, victim of the same gang violence, trying to escape the life but constantly getting pulled back down into it by his useless other brother? Or a mobster that survived an ambush instigated by his own mob family, forcing him to do 15 years, and when he comes back out and a deal he's doing for the family goes wrong, decides to take things into his own hands and starts running his own mob family?

See, the thing is, you can make anything sound exciting or boring. Tommy Vercetti can be a Tony Montana rip off, or what I described above. Michael can be a verbally abusive husband or what you described. Personally, I don't think well-off middle aged white guys having a midlife crisis are all that interesting, no matter their occupation. We've had plenty of those in movies and tv shows and they make for very boring playable characters.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
rjmthe2nd
32 minutes ago, Ser_Salty said:

What about an eastern european immigrant, who fought in the balkan wars and now has to live with all of the things he's done, the only anchor of home in a new, strange town is his cousin, a person he cares deeply about but keeps hurting with his actions, getting him shot, his home and business burnt down, kidnapped (and potentially killed)? Or a biker that's been leading the MC for the past few years while the MC president was in rehab, but now he's back and turning sh*t upside down, tearing the family apart, forcing said biker to choose between loyalty and family? Or a gangbanger that ran away after his brother was pointlessly killed, returning because his mother is now dead, too, victim of the same gang violence, trying to escape the life but constantly getting pulled back down into it by his useless other brother? Or a mobster that survived an ambush instigated by his own mob family, forcing him to do 15 years, and when he comes back out and a deal he's doing for the family goes wrong, decides to take things into his own hands and starts running his own mob family?

See, the thing is, you can make anything sound exciting or boring. Tommy Vercetti can be a Tony Montana rip off, or what I described above. Michael can be a verbally abusive husband or what you described. Personally, I don't think well-off middle aged white guys having a midlife crisis are all that interesting, no matter their occupation. We've had plenty of those in movies and tv shows and they make for very boring playable characters.

 

Not sure what you're trying to refute, his argument is that Michael has more character development THAN the 3D ERA protagonists.

 

None of the V protagonists had enough development nor could they since they had share a game. IMO the GTA V guys are boring, Trevor was funny but that's where it stops for me, Franklin is a CJ rehash, devoid of personality while Michael....ehhh, pseudo-enigmatic mastermind that probably would've worked better as a side character like Phil Cassidy.

Edited by rjmthe2nd
Link to post
Share on other sites
DexMacLeod

I feel like the GTA V characters had as much character development as any other. What you see in the first couple of cut scenes is who they are all the way through the story. The length of screen time doesn't really change that. 

 

To me, the key difference between 3D and HD era protagonists is that in the HD era the protagonists have stronger internal motivations/conflicts. They sort of attempted this in San Andreas but CJ's waning loyalty felt more like a plot point designed to get the story back to full circle than any real attempt at character work.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
DarkDayz
On 1/25/2021 at 8:11 PM, mussefar03 said:

Lezlie Benzie himself said that when asked about a girl protag, he replied that it isn't a bulletlist they were making, they were making a good game with the right characters. Not just a girl for the sake of it.

 

1. Leslie Benzies hasn't worked at Rockstar for 8 years now.

2. It has absolutely zero to do with the possibility of there being a female character. Just that they have no objection to having one if everything is aligned to do it.

Edited by darkdayz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
BenzoEnzoMk2

Just a short discussion here, saw some rumours that the next GTA game could have a Female Protagonist.

 

I'm up for that 100%

 

With the rumours that it's set in Vice City / South America

 

it would only be fitting if we saw the Return of "Catalina" as the main character

from GTA: 3 & San Andreas

(Cousin of Cesar Vialpando)

 

That lady was Kick Ass Awesome!

 

P.S - yes you shot down her chopper in GTA 3 but .. no body lol she could have jumped out

Edited by BenzoEnzoMk2
added info
  • Like 2
  • KEKW 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
JaeDan 101

I hope that female character got...

Spoiler

a blonde with a big ass and nice tits

 

yeah, that'll be interesting that a female character will be the main protagonist

Edited by JaeDan 101
Link to post
Share on other sites
BenzoEnzoMk2
5 minutes ago, DR:BUSTA said:

She's dead

Never saw her die, she could have jumped out of the chopper... haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
DR:BUSTA
2 minutes ago, BenzoEnzoMk2 said:

Never saw her die, she could have jumped out of the chopper... haha

Then she will realize that LC water is toxic and fall in the water and die

  • KEKW 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
MrMemer
2 hours ago, Evil empire said:

Having a female main character can be interesting.

Yeah that would be a interesting idea

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
Lucas wester

I mean rockstar was pretty quick on the ball with gay protagonists since jimmy hopkins is bisexual and that was 15 years ago from now if im correct

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
IndianaLiam1

I think I would be fine with that. Mainly because I was never the biggest fan of the three character system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IndianaLiam1

sh*t, I forgot to quote and I can't find it now lmao

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.