4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA VI Protagonist & Diversity

yungsufoto

Munt Machine

Any people saying the game's sales will suffer for having a female or LGBTQ+ protagonist need to take a look around. People say "get woke go broke" but it seems the complete opposite is true. Games and media in general are having more diversity, and making more money than ever. I mean, people sh*t on The Last of Us 2 for being "woke", but it sold like 4 million copies.

So no, I doubt Rockstar is that worried about some sweaty incels swearing not to buy a game because you play as a woman (I mean let's be honest half of them would probably end up buying it anyway). Certainly not worried enough to actually influence their decision on what the protag will be like. I personally hope that the rumors of the protag being a woman are true. It would break the mold and give the Rockstar writers some interesting stuff to work with. 

• Like 1
Thelema93
4 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

What would actually change with a gay character? Like what if, say, Franklin was gay and instead of simping for Tanisha he was simping for a dude. What really changes apart from that? Absolutely f*ck all, you're just being homophobic.

f*ck off. I'm entitled to my opinion

1 hour ago, Zello said:

You must have not heard about Omar Little. He was gay but when he came around a corner with his shotgun everyone was scared to death even the drug dealers and they all ran away.

Who hasn't heard of good ol Omar. I'm not against a homosexual character. But I'd prefer a hetero. If that makes me sound homophobic than so be it. Couldn't care less

DarkDayz
5 hours ago, Thelema93 said:

f*ck off. I'm entitled to my opinion

And people are well within their right to question your opinion. Especially here, where the whole point is to discuss things. If you don't want that why are you here posting?

Edited by darkdayz
Thelema93
20 minutes ago, darkdayz said:

And people are well within their right to question your opinion. Especially here, where the whole point is to discuss things. If you don't want that why are you here posting?

For the kicks.. and you can f*ck off too. No one questions me for I am god and shall you be smited with lightning if you question my supreme reign.. 

DarkDayz
2 minutes ago, Thelema93 said:

For the kicks.. and you can f*ck off too. No one questions me for I am god and shall you be smited with lightning if you question my supreme reign.. 

Born in 93 and still acting like that? Yikes.

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
Thelema93
Just now, darkdayz said:

Check again. 99 and yes. 

Guess my mummy didn't spank me enough. 

Ser_Salty

acbea14924b3cdd1e78031217df1e867.jpg

Hope that this is what our female gay character looks like.

Just to watch you all get angry.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1
  • excuseme 1
  • Bruh 2
FanEu7
1 hour ago, Ser_Salty said:

acbea14924b3cdd1e78031217df1e867.jpg

Hope that this is what our female gay character looks like.

Just to watch you all get angry.

The problem was more that she was a sh*tty character, just like everything else in The Last of Us 2. I didn't see anyone complaining about Gina Carano's character in the Mandalorian.

I think the real issue is people getting butthurt if one dares to complain about any game or show with a female MC or lgbt+ MC..its like you automatically are a bigot, incel, alt right etc.

Edited by FanEu7
Lexiture
8 hours ago, Thelema93 said:

Check again. 99 and yes. 

Guess my mummy didn't spank me enough. 

D45E23D0-F926-4491-9959-07F7D379F10D.thu

I'll quote your avatar everyday.

• Like 2
Thelema93
23 minutes ago, Lexiture said:

D45E23D0-F926-4491-9959-07F7D379F10D.thu

I'll quote your avatar everyday.

Thankyou 

Collibosher
15 minutes ago, FanEu7 said:

I think the real issue is people getting butthurt if one dares to complain about any game or show with a female MC or lgbt+ MC..its like you automatically are a bigot, incel, alt right etc.

But those are the things that always seem to be the base of the "criticism". All criticism about the all female Ghostbusters was based around their gender, despite the cast being the ONLY good thing about the film. Writers, directors etc. walk free while Leslie Jones gets cyber bullied and referred to as monkey... There are dozens of extremely loud and popular youtube channels and communities dedicated just for attacking female, lgbtq etc. characters in popular culture, so it's difficult to not see people who criticize characters like Abby automatically as "butthurt incel alt-righters", when all the "reviews" lead to them. Like where are the people with legitimate criticism about Abby, all I see is geeks&gamers type of edgelords?

• Like 3
FanEu7
1 hour ago, Collibosher said:

But those are the things that always seem to be the base of the "criticism". All criticism about the all female Ghostbusters was based around their gender, despite the cast being the ONLY good thing about the film. Writers, directors etc. walk free while Leslie Jones gets cyber bullied and referred to as monkey... There are dozens of extremely loud and popular youtube channels and communities dedicated just for attacking female, lgbtq etc. characters in popular culture, so it's difficult to not see people who criticize characters like Abby automatically as "butthurt incel alt-righters", when all the "reviews" lead to them. Like where are the people with legitimate criticism about Abby, all I see is geeks&gamers type of edgelords?

There is a loud minority who whines about that sort of stuff but most people who dislike stuff like The Last of us 2 have valid reasons. But fans can't deal with that and  dumb down all criticism to "alt right, incel whining" (easy to disregard any criticism that way) & defend those things like their life depends on it which is pretty pathetic too.

You need to look harder if you don't see any legitimate criticism.  Writers these days just know that no matter how badly written female or lgbt+ characters & their stories are tons of people will defend them just to be progressive. Its like how Terminator Dark Fate had a female lead and the director was already saying before the release that "only sexists will hate this movie", ignoring that it sucked because it had a sh*tty story and characters

Edited by FanEu7
el carlitos

I don´t care as long as we get genital options as Cyberpunk, at least for our Online avatar.

• KEKW 1
Wolfman_

Diversity is never a bad thing. The problem is when you force it into the story, withouth proper writing methods, just for the sake of diversity.

• Like 1
  • fir thi bairns 2
El Zodape
16 hours ago, Collibosher said:

All criticism about the all female Ghostbusters was based around their gender

lmao I assume you're exaggerating. Plenty of reviews talk about how it's poorly written, has awful especial effects and how it just uses the Ghostbusters name for a cheap cash grab. Yes, a lot of the criticisms do tackle their gender, probably because that's the main recognizable factor of such a soulless movie? Everyone literally calls it the "female Ghostbusters" because that's all there's to it. Even the director babbled constantly about "muh-soggy-knee" and all that sh*t. They brought that topic on themselves. Look, you even called it yourself "the female Ghostbusters"! Because that's all it is. A cheap gender swapped cash grab under the name of an existing and successful IP that uses a social movement to deflect criticism. I mean, I don't really wanna get in depth into why exactly it is a bad movie, if you like it you do you, but it's really dishonest to just say "yeah, you're all just mysoggynerds lalalalalaa". Especially when you can literally just google some reviews? And actually be honest while doing it. Yeah, I bet you can go for the low-hanging fruit and find some incel neckbeard repeating Ben Shapiro talking points. I also can look up a "Feminist Rekt Compilation #365" and say "bruh look all the feminists are like this". We all can do better than that.

17 hours ago, Collibosher said:

Like where are the people with legitimate criticism about Abby, all I see is geeks&gamers type of edgelords?

Bruh.

Look, here, 3 of the most popular reviews of the game on YouTube. All of them seem to give a balanced view about the game. Yong's and Angry Joe's reviews also give plenty of criticisms about Abby beyond just "muh muscle waman". They both even talk about ways Abby might have been a more likeable character. And last time I checked their twitter, YongYea and Angry Joe aren't too fond about the Orange Man so we can discard the Alt-Right criticism right-off the bat.

SkillUp Review

YongYea Review

Angry Joe Review

Also may I remind you that most of the people who hate Abbie, do like Ellie? Who is a lesbian? idk bruh maybe there's actually more to it than just muh homophobia idk

Obviously homophobes and all that sh*t do exist, but it's really silly to use tha loud minority group to hide what the rest has to say. I'm sure you hate when people do it to you, so stop doing it to everyone else and take the f*cking high road.

Wolfman_

AngryJoe actually liked Abby. He said he had a lot of fun with her gameplay. He criticized the incoherence of the plot and how the narrative clearly manipulates you into liking Abby and disliking Ellie through cheap tricks and just plain bad writing.

If you ask me the problem with TLOU2 is not the story itself, it's how the story is told. 

GinsengElixir

I actually thought TLOU2 story was expertly told, albeit it took me a second playthrough to get that.

But I understand those who hated it/her. These same people likely did not have an issue with playing as Ellie so it's not down to gender. Playing through as Ellie is great because she's a fantastically written character. Her moments with Dina really hit the mark for me. Abby(and Lev) less so but not due to bad writing, just because she was a less relatable character. That was as much down to the success of TLOU as anything. 

For GTA6 I want to play as a guy....because I am one. Don't care what race he is aslong as he's not a stereotype. Why a guy over a girl? I guess because that's what I relate to more. It's not a series that I want to explore playing through as a female character. If they want both then fine, all the better infact...but for this series I don’twant my ability to be a dude taken away. They should probably accommodate the lady gamers out there aswell though. No issue with that, but just not in the superficial Ubisoft style. 

The Idiot

I would be fine with any gender, sexuality, and things like that

rjmthe2nd
On 1/19/2021 at 6:16 AM, darkdayz said:

His username is thelema....that should tell you all you need to know about him.

Dimitry Rascalov

Women aren't respected in the criminal underworld, nor are gays and I can guarantee a tranny wouldn't be lol. While one homosexual wouldn't be a deal breaker amongst criminals that would be something they'd go out of their way to hide. The Russian mob, The Italian mafia, Drug cartels, virtually all organized crime hell even the petty criminals don't approve of any "Diversity", they're heavily racist and unaccepting of most everyone outside of their own which is heavily ingrained in prison. Women are involved in some gang activity but they usually don't make leadership material just due to no respect for them.  There's only one instance of a woman rising to a respectable power amongst a criminal organization and that was Esmerelda Blanco that I know of. Honestly female criminals aren't very prominent to begin with as most crimes are committed by men, they only make up 7% of the prison population in the country. 

• Like 3
DexMacLeod
1 hour ago, Dimitry Rascalov said:

Women aren't respected in the criminal underworld, nor are gays and I can guarantee a tranny wouldn't be lol. While one homosexual wouldn't be a deal breaker amongst criminals that would be something they'd go out of their way to hide. The Russian mob, The Italian mafia, Drug cartels, virtually all organized crime hell even the petty criminals don't approve of any "Diversity", they're heavily racist and unaccepting of most everyone outside of their own which is heavily ingrained in prison. Women are involved in some gang activity but they usually don't make leadership material just due to no respect for them.  There's only one instance of a woman rising to a respectable power amongst a criminal organization and that was Esmerelda Blanco that I know of. Honestly female criminals aren't very prominent to begin with as most crimes are committed by men, they only make up 7% of the prison population in the country. 

Who says the main character needs to be the leader of a major criminal organization, though? Or even in one at all, for that matter. It makes far more sense for them to be low on the totem pole to explain why they're always driving everybody around and pretty much doing everything themselves. 

I'd much rather see a character who's on the outer rim of the criminal world rather than them being the center of it.

• Like 2
Cheatz/Trickz
On 1/19/2021 at 3:55 AM, Munt Machine said:

Any people saying the game's sales will suffer for having a female or LGBTQ+ protagonist need to take a look around. People say "get woke go broke" but it seems the complete opposite is true. Games and media in general are having more diversity, and making more money than ever. I mean, people sh*t on The Last of Us 2 for being "woke", but it sold like 4 million copies.

So no, I doubt Rockstar is that worried about some sweaty incels swearing not to buy a game because you play as a woman (I mean let's be honest half of them would probably end up buying it anyway). Certainly not worried enough to actually influence their decision on what the protag will be like. I personally hope that the rumors of the protag being a woman are true. It would break the mold and give the Rockstar writers some interesting stuff to work with. 

Last of Us 2 sold off the first game hype. It was bound to sell. A third game wouldn’t sell anywhere near as well after the second. Get woke go broke applies more to film and TV anyway and it is definitely true there. 

I think if anyone can make a woman protagonist work in this kind of game it’s Rockstar and hopefully they would do it not to pander to SJWs who want “muh diversity” but because they just want to tackle the challenge of creating a compelling female protagonist as much as their male protagonists, for themselves, not for any whiny people moaning about white men. 

I’m not interested in mold breaking, I’m interested in a good story, woman protag or not. 

Zello
3 hours ago, DexMacLeod said:

Who says the main character needs to be the leader of a major criminal organization, though? Or even in one at all, for that matter. It makes far more sense for them to be low on the totem pole to explain why they're always driving everybody around and pretty much doing everything themselves. 

I'd much rather see a character who's on the outer rim of the criminal world rather than them being the center of it.

That's a great point. R* can make a story about a female protagonist without involving many of those groups. A bank robber wouldn't have to be involved with any of them they just rob banks. A hired gun has options they're freelance contractors they could work for an organized crime group but they could also just take jobs from whoever pays them it could be the local drug lord, or a fed up wife who wants her husband dead and wants to collect on his life insurance policy.

Like this guy. Apparently he took jobs from online websites. You don't have to work for a criminal organization in order to be considered a hitman. She could just take hits from anyone and be considered a hitman murder for hire is murder for hire. As long as you're getting paid. If it's a modern day game she could use a site similar to craigslist or maybe the dark web and take jobs from there.

• Like 2
Western Gunslinger

I want a black transgender lesbian nonbinary xe/xir protagonist on a quest to exterminate the white race

Jokes aside, as long as it doesn't seems as pandering. Fine by me

MetroFloaty
13 hours ago, Dimitry Rascalov said:

This is exactly what I think, I don't mind a female or gay protagonist per se but I just feel like they wouldn't really fit as protagonists in a story about crime 

• Like 1
Orbea Occam

As long as the protagonist isn't as boring and uninteresting as Michael De Santa then I'll be happy. 

• KEKW 1
  • Bruh 1
Damien Scott
45 minutes ago, Orbea Occam said:

As long as the protagonist isn't as boring and uninteresting as Michael De Santa then I'll be happy. 

Lol Michael is more developed and has more depth than all the 3D Era protagonists combined.

Edited by Damien Scott
  • Like 3
  • excuseme 1
mussefar03

Lezlie Benzie himself said that when asked about a girl protag, he replied that it isn't a bulletlist they were making, they were making a good game with the right characters. Not just a girl for the sake of it.

Also most gamers are dudes. Just saying.

• Like 1
Ser_Salty
1 hour ago, mussefar03 said:

Lezlie Benzie himself said that when asked about a girl protag, he replied that it isn't a bulletlist they were making, they were making a good game with the right characters. Not just a girl for the sake of it.

Also most gamers are dudes. Just saying.

Where did you get that statistic from? 2004?  The male/female ratio of gamers is much closer to a 50% split, but women in online spaces won't always make it clear they're a woman because then they immediately get harassed, so you get this sort of false perception.

Kris194
On 1/20/2021 at 10:41 PM, GinsengElixir said:

They should probably accommodate the lady gamers out there aswell though.

This is kind of argument I will never, ever understand. As a man I could easily enjoy Tomb Raider series, or Mirror's Edge or Remeber me or TLoU (2013) where we played as Ellie for a while. Why then girls would have a problem with playing as a guy? What's next? Will we replace Mario with Princess just because more girls are playing games nowadays? Personally I also want to play as a straight guy, don't bring "diversity" where it's not needed or where it even doesn't make any sense. By the way, RDRII had plenty of diversity in terms of characters. This world is seriously getting more and more crazy with each passing year.

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 1
  • fir thi bairns 1