Assassin's Creed Valhalla

UltraZ

So male Eivor or female Eivor? I heard the default setting automatically switch your gender at different parts of the story.

Something to do with the animus so its probably the canon choice...

Grichka Bogdanoff
3 minutes ago, TheJesus1996 said:

I heard the default setting automatically switch your gender at different parts of the story.

God what the hell are they doing. This is worse than I thought.

I find female Eivor to look particularly ugly, so I'll go with male Eivor. Also, beards. My viking MUST have a cool beard.

a Hideo Kojima post.

From what I heard, you can swap between genders at will, I don't think it really matters like it sort of did in Odyssey but they'll use Animus shenanigans to justify it all lore wise I guess. 

Fix for the 21:9 cutscenes, still baffled as to why devs can’t fix this.  

Reviews seem to be full of praise but the scores marked down a little due to the typicla Ubisoft technical issues. Seems like a great game overall, looking forward to eventually playing it.

amazonplsshipmemy5800x

5 hours ago, DEADWOODZ said:

Fix for the 21:9 cutscenes, still baffled as to why devs can’t fix this.

Don't think it's a matter of fixing, but more a matter of it being impractical. They have to frame the cutscenes somehow, to make sure they appear as they want, and don't have any distracting or clipping elements in the background or near the edges - and that's easier to manage if they stick to 16:9. Then there's the fact that ultra wide monitors are still quite niche, albeit gaining traction nowadays. I couldn't find any updated numbers, but a few years ago it was 0.7% of players using UW, the majority of these being PC users, naturally - it's bound to be a larger share now, but I wouldn't be surprised if like, 97% play in 16:9.

EDIT: That being said, I did the UW fix right off the bat, and all the cutscenes so far have looked great. :D

Original Light

I more I read about this game, the more excited I get. I think I was wrong with a lot of the stuff I said weeks ago, if not months ago, about this game. They really did try to change up the formula and get rid of Odyssey's main issues.

I'm mainly excited that they changed exploration, and side quests have been turned into shorter, more interesting "World Events" which are marked on the map with a color code. Other points of interest also have their own color code. They got rid of the common "Quest Log", so this is kind of going back to AC Syndicate and earlier games in terms of mission structure. 

Also of interest is the different "Mythical Realms" separate from the main world maps. Similar to that one quest in The Witcher 3; which was arguably a fan favorite, "Through Time and Space". 

Edited by Original Light
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AZAZEL said:

I couldn't find any updated numbers, but a few years ago it was 0.7% of players using UW

Steam HW survey shows 2.05% of players (1440p and 1080p UW combined) for 21:9 monitors. There's probably some niche UW resolutions in the "Other" section too, but we're likely talking 0.01% there given the price of those monitors. It's growing slowly as the monitor prices go down but yea, niche. Saying that there's been a growing public support for it by developers, MS first party are always advertising ultrawide support these days which is nice to see even if the support quality varies. Kojima was also waxing lyrical about it for Death Stranding pre-release which will likely have got a few peoples attentions. I believe Samsung were also pushing MS to support it on the next-gen consoles at some point, but that hasn't happened yet.

The support has improved a lot in recent years and continues to grow and improve and hopefully that'll result in a lot of these little 21:9 fixes not being needed in a few years.

Bleh. Was kinda wanting to give it a play before i hit the hay. Anyone else having problems?

Edit: It's decided to show in my library, that was a bit of a wee f*ck up. Due to COVID that they couldn't get the orders out apparently...

Edited by DEADWOODZ

Original Light

It took about 2 hours after purchase to show up for me. For anyone having issues, try signing out of Ubisoft Connect, signing back in, and check again. 

Edited by Original Light

After watching some reviews I got interested in this game. What makes me excited is the fact that the people who loved Oddysey aren’t as impressed by this game whereas the people who didn’t love Oddysey like this game more. That’s a damn good sign for me. 

If Cyberpunk gets delayed again (you know that’s likely) then I’ll buy this instead. 

• Like 2

does valhalla need a permanent internet connection to save the game?

i have some savegames that say sth like "savegame is damaged!", i cant even load them

sucks.jpg

Well, this sucks. Its the 10th today and the game still isn't available for me to play. I heard about the issues with the Ubisoft store, but this is on the epic games store, and I can't play. On the main menu of the store, it's still offering the game as a pre-purchase.

Is there a scheduled UK release time? Is this an error? 

I will try signing out of Ubisoft Connect as mentioned above, see if that works. 

*EDIT*

So apparently, the Epic Games version isn't available until 4pm UK time. They can f*ck off with that. That is the sort of thing they should of made clear when the game was purchased. I refunded it and I'm now downloading it from the Ubisoft store, where I can play it now. 

Edited by LittleBlueTroll

SIG-2.jpg

One of the reasons i don't pre order off Epic, never mind me not being to keen on Ubisoft Connect.

Here's the release times on other platforms.

EmKStpmXgAEKFyx?format=jpg&name=large

22 minutes ago, LittleBlueTroll said:

*EDIT*

So apparently, the Epic Games version isn't available until 4pm UK time. They can f*ck off with that. That is the sort of thing they should of made clear when the game was purchased. I refunded it and I'm now downloading it from the Ubisoft store, where I can play it now. 

I refunded it also few days ago after finding out lul, it's bs...i still think there's people waiting for the game to show in their ubi connect library also, which sucks big time!

Edited by DEADWOODZ

3 minutes ago, DEADWOODZ said:

I refunded it also few days ago after finding out lul, it's bs...i still think there's people waiting for the game to show in their ubi connect library also, which sucks big time!

Yeah, it's bollocks. Why can't they be upfront and honest, and when you purchase it, have a little notice letting you know the game won't be available until a certain time slot on the 10th. To me, the 10th means the 10th. If I went to the shop at a midnight game launch, they wouldn't give you the game and say "by the way, that's the 4pm edition, won't work until then" 

Anyway, I'm ranting 😄But f*ck Epic Games. I'll be playing this in 19 minutes according to the estimate here 🥳

SIG-2.jpg

Never buy from EGS. Seriously, putting aside the "f*ck Epic", it's just a poor PC platform and a poor PC store. It's miles behind even stuff like uPlay and Origins, it's simply not worth it.

ALWAYS buy Ubi games from Ubisoft's store IMO, cause if you're buying it and not using uPlay+ you can take advantage of the I believe 20% discount you can purchase with the Ubisoft Points system.

So far, so good.

Played about 6 hours so far, and that is mainly exploration and looting up around various locations. I have only done 4 quests so far, so there is certainly a lot to see. 

Looks great, PC performance is solid which is nice, as I have heard horror stories about AC games on PC just after launch. I only ever play at 1080p, I have an i7 4790k and an RTX 2070 super (as listed above) and I am playing on ultra settings with a tonne of headroom to spare, and 60fps has been rock solid. Perfect for me. 

The game feels very much like Origins so far (and maybe Odyssey, I didn't ever play that) Which for me, is not a bad thing as I really did love Origins. However, as I said I haven't even scratched the surface, I am on the basic weapons and armor set (well I upgraded my axe and my armor once with some ingots) and there are tonnes of options on the skill tree, which I am assuming will change combat and allow you to alter your play style massively. So the deeper I get, the more I sense the combat will start to differ. 

I have raided a couple of places so far, which was massively satisfying. AI can be a bit dumb though (classic Ubisoft) and it ruins the moment slightly when you come roaring off your ship to fight, and have 2/3 enemies running on the spot because they're stuck on a ledge right in front of you. That happened on my second raid. 

There have been a few bugs here and there. For example the photo mode, when I back out of it, the game freezes slightly and the audio cuts out for about 5 seconds, I have a strange issue with the sky sometimes where the clouds will accelerate and then start texture popping like mad, which has ruined a few photo opportunities. 

My main gripe so far though, is the way secondary quests are handled. You stumble across encounters randomly (which I like) and then... that's it. There is no quest log, no map marker, no option to make it your current objective. I am assuming you will just have to remember to do it, or tough luck. I am hoping I have this wrong, and someone can explain the current side quest system, because at the moment it's not really working for me. I like a log of what I can do, so I can dip in and out of main quests, side quests and exploration freely. With no record of side quests, I feel like I will end up losing out on some content. For example, not long after you start the game, someone in your camp says they need deer antlers before they can help you, now normally I would expect an option to track quest, or it's added to the quest log so you can actually do it. Here though, nothing. 

Really enjoying it so far though. Can't wait to dive in deeper.

Edited by LittleBlueTroll

SIG-2.jpg

Grichka Bogdanoff

Started playing at 16:15.

It's now 22:00 and I've only completed the very first quest.

Finally an AC that pushed me to explore the world. Finally an AC where you can disable all those helps and hints for idiots.

Too bad the AI is still braindead and the movements/combat are still like Witcher 3, but it's much improved compared to Origins and Odyssey.

I've also been taking a sh*tton of pictures but the servers recently died and they're not uploading anymore ;_;

a Chuck Kojima post.

Original Light

So far, I'm liking it. It definitely feels different than Odyssey, which is a good thing.

On PC with my RTX 2080 Ti, I'm getting occasional stuttering (audio also cuts out when this occurs). Hopefully Ubisoft will release a patch soon, in the meantime I'm updating my graphics driver and tweaking settings. Odyssey was buttery smooth on Ultra, and this game isn't necessarily much better looking - so I can't justify this terrible performance. 

Edited by Original Light

Grichka Bogdanoff

Anybody on PS4 had issues where the dialogues would cut off for a second, desynch from the labial then continue normally? It's f*cky to explain but if you know, you know.

Also hey, I got a few cool pics too! 

WaV6aIC.png

une9AOX.png

YiuqYPs.png

cwbzwL8.png

If you wanna see more: https://imgur.com/gallery/fZQxzRQ

There's light spoilers in the link.

a Chuck Kojima post.

41 minutes ago, Original Light said:

So far, I'm liking it. It definitely feels different than Odyssey, which is a good thing.

On PC with my RTX 2080 Ti, I'm getting occasional stuttering (audio also cuts out when this occurs). Hopefully Ubisoft will release a patch soon, in the meantime I'm updating my graphics driver and tweaking settings. Odyssey was buttery smooth on Ultra, and this game isn't necessarily much better looking - so I can't justify this terrible performance. 

It's been pretty smooth for me mainly high settings, although i've had to add lumasharpen via ReShade as the games Anti-aliasing is bollocks (just like Odyessy).

Playing at 3440x1440 with an RTX 2070S.

Edited by DEADWOODZ

Original Light
4 minutes ago, DEADWOODZ said:

It's been pretty smooth for me mainly high settings, although i've had to add lumasharpen via ReShade as the games Anti-aliasing is bollocks (just like Odyessy).

A fix I read online says to right click on the .exe, go to Compatibility, and click on Disable Fullscreen Optimizations. This fix seems to work for me so far... I'm guessing there may be a memory leak. It seems to be a common issue among the player base right now, including higher end PC's. 

Edited by Original Light

7 minutes ago, DEADWOODZ said:

Settings/fps, out of interest?

I've got a GPU that is noticeably less powerful than yours atm but I'd be curious to know what you're getting, it's always a bit tedious to find 3440x1440 benchmarks.

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

Settings/fps, out of interest?

I've got a GPU that is noticeably less powerful than yours atm but I'd be curious to know what you're getting, it's always a bit tedious to find 3440x1440 benchmarks.

All without ReShade or res scale, if that was the case my fps would be sitting around 33 - 45. As for settings i'm always tweaking but it's mainly mix of medium to high.

ACValhalla-2020-11-11-01-31-46-092.png

Edited by DEADWOODZ

So got about 5-6 hours into it, with that I obviously got a bit into the modern day, and I must say one thing I appreciate is that it’s been tying up certain things that’s always lingered in my mind since at least Revelations. For example (obviously spoiler block)

Spoiler

One thing I always had a problem with in Revelations is how Ezio more or less casually poisons  the city of Cappadocia to kill his target, and it never seems to be addressed. With an audio file by a familiar character, it’s said that said event is likely the straw that broke the camel’s back in regards to Ezio choosing to retire from being an assassin.

There’s also some other things, but that Was just something that I appreciate so far

Original Light

I’m really enjoying this game so far. I’m pleased that they brought back a lot of systems from previous games that give it a “nostalgic” Assassin’s Creed feel.

For one, they have the scrolls that float in the wind back as collectibles. It’s more interesting than stationary collectibles since you have to chase them across rooftops or risk losing them. 

The reintroduction of blending into crowds, hidden blades, assassin hoods, and a more traditional “eagle vision” are also welcome returns. 

Norway is giving me huge AC: Rogue vibes, which is also a good thing. 

My only complaint so far would be the hunting. I’d like to be able to harvest meat, furs, hearts, and other parts like in Assassin’s Creed 3, 4, and Rogue. The skinning animation would be better than the loot system they’re using right now. I feel like it would make hunting more wholesome and realistic. 

Edited by Original Light

So I'm about 10 hours in, still haven't left Norway 🥶

Been looting and exploring. Really enjoying it. 

The "secondary quests" or world events as they are now called, are making more sense to me now, at first I was a bit baffled about how you track them and how to remind yourself of their purpose if you don't do them straight away. I realized it marks any world events you have triggered on the map, and if you go back later the NPC who gave you the task will spit out a few lines of dialogue to remind you. Feels really natural this way, most of the time I do the world events as I am exploring, so it just flows nicely having something pop up when you're in the area. 

Word of advice, don't try and outrun a Polar Bear. I'll leave it at that 😂

Anyway, some screenshots:

Pencil dive off a waterfall:

20201112152654.jpg

Heard some commotion, stumbled across a wolf pack and some polar bears having a fight:

20201112184025.jpg

20201112183031.jpg

20201110154643.jpg

20201112152115.jpg

• Like 3

SIG-2.jpg

2 hours ago, LittleBlueTroll said:

So I'm about 10 hours in, still haven't left Norway 🥶

Been looting and exploring. Really enjoying it. 

The "secondary quests" or world events as they are now called, are making more sense to me now, at first I was a bit baffled about how you track them and how to remind yourself of their purpose if you don't do them straight away. I realized it marks any world events you have triggered on the map, and if you go back later the NPC who gave you the task will spit out a few lines of dialogue to remind you. Feels really natural this way, most of the time I do the world events as I am exploring, so it just flows nicely having something pop up when you're in the area. 

Word of advice, don't try and outrun a Polar Bear. I'll leave it at that 😂

Anyway, some screenshots:

Pencil dive off a waterfall:

20201112152654.jpg

Man, ten hours still in Norway fairplay. This is definitely the AC that has me drawn into the world and wanting to come back for more! Oh and to the left in those mountains there's a book of knowledge ( was quite the experience climbing up there).

Edited by DEADWOODZ

I'm 8 hours in and still in Norway as well. Took me a moment to really get into it, but I'm quite enjoying it now. Certainly is a beautiful game! It's like walking around in a Bob Ross painting. :inlove:

AZ_VALHALLA_05_BORDER.jpg

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.