Assassin's Creed Valhalla

UltraZ

I guess if we’re talking builds mine is looking like this

Ryzen 3700x (and thankfully, a free key for Valhalla came with it)
EVGA 2070 Super Black Gaming 8GB

850w Corsair PSU

16gb (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaw Series 3600 (@DDR4)

ASUS TUF Gaming X570 plus wifi

Arctic Liquid Cooler II 240mm

Intel SSD 660p series (and a 2tb seagate barracuda hdd)

And basically, so long as everything goes according to plan, I’ll be able to use the step up program from EVGA to upgrade to an 3080

Edited by Dbzk1999

I upgraded my system last year.

I7 9700k

16gb Corsair Vengence

RTX 2070S (which got purchased around Jan this year...big oof).

Yea if you own a 2070/2080 you're in an awkward spot buuuuut you can live with the knowledge that you didn't have to bother with the 3XXX stock shenanigans and that your GPU will handle everything just dandy until the 3XXX stock issues stop at the very least.

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yea if you own a 2070/2080 you're in an awkward spot buuuuut you can live with the knowledge that you didn't have to bother with the 3XXX stock shenanigans and that your GPU will handle everything just dandy until the 3XXX stock issues stop at the very least.

That’s actually exactly why I got the EVGA brand, got it a couple weeks ago since this was my first build. Was gonna originally get the 3080, but considering the launch of it, settled for the 2070s through EVGA. That way I’ll pay the difference between the two gpus via the step up program (might I say that that program is almost like a godsend lol)

Original Light

Lately, I've been thinking of the Assassin's Creed series as a whole. I realized that when you look at all the games that have been released, you can look at them as "mini-series" - a cluster of games within a 3-4 year timespan will share identical game engines, similar gameplay mechanics, a connecting story, and similar UI as a whole. After a few years, there's always another major overhaul that refreshes all of this. Right now, I consider the series to be stuck on the "Origins/RPG" saga.

The Original Saga:

Assassin's Creed 1, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed Revelations.

These games share nearly identical game engines, and are confined to single cities (with very little, if at all, functional countryside). No animals, and all are focused on assassination mechanics and stealth gameplay. Stating the obvious, all of these games are strongly connected other than their game engine and functionality - the story is close knit. The later 3 games all featured the same protagonist, Ezio Auditore. 

The Kenway Saga: 

Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed: Rogue, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

This saga introduces a major overhaul for the game engine, UI, gameplay mechanics and story. These games introduce significantly larger maps with countryside, animals with hunting mechanics, a greater emphasis on freedom and control - but with more side content as well. The combat in each of these games is identical, with it arguably being the simplest and most welcoming for newcomers. Kill-chains are effortless, and the player's mistakes are forgiven. It was a common criticism from fans about how easy the combat was at this time. This also marked the decline, and subsequent end, of the meaningful modern-day storyline. 

Back to its Roots:

Assassin's Creed Unity, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Once again, another new game engine for these two games. They share very similar mechanics, and mark a return to the roots of the series. Both are set in single, confined cities with no countryside. As a result, animals and hunting mechanics have been removed. Combat is made more complex, as is the parkour. I feel these two games divided the entire fanbase; those who loved the larger open worlds of III, IV and Rogue hated them - whereas fans of the original games respected these more simple entries. 

RPG Era

Assassin's Creed Origins, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Assassin's Creed Valhalla. 

After 2015, The Witcher 3 had a tremendous influence on open world games and RPG's in general. Ubisoft took note, and evolved Assassin's Creed into a fully fledged The Witcher 3 clone in a lot of ways. There's another major game engine overhaul shared between these three games, of course.

Back are the gigantic, varied maps with several unique biomes and wildlife. Hunting has been simplified; gone are the detailed skinning animals comparable to Red Dead Redemption. Now it's an instantaneous looting action, with no animation. The same concept is applied to looting bodies. The same can be said about many other actions, such as picking up objects, weapons, and so on. The series took on more of a basic, arcade-like form - and aren't afraid to admit they're videogames. 

In Odyssey, dialogue options are introduced, and Ubisoft breaks the series rules and lore with this change. Gone is the necessity of remaining "in-sync" with the ancestor's DNA. The "player" now makes their own decisions, independent from what the ancestor may have actually done. 

Chapters have been removed entirely, and quests are now presented in a quest log form. Dozens of main missions and side quests can be initiated at one time. "?" markers are scattered across the map, like The Witcher 3, to encourage exploration. Despite some of these markers being repetitive, they can evoke some degree of mystery and fun.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla, from what I've read thus far, remedies the quest-line monotony and returns to a more focused style (pre-Origins). I think this will be beneficial in making it feel fresh, but it's still in the "Origins" era and I expect many other features and mechanics to remain the same as Origins. The team developed a good base engine for 2017's Origins, but it's time for them to move onto the next major overhaul. 

Edited by Original Light

2 hours ago, Original Light said:

Back to its Roots:

Assassin's Creed Unity, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Once again, another new game engine for these two games. They share very similar mechanics, and mark a return to the roots of the series.

Back to its roots? Unity - absolutely. But Syndicate barely has any real similarities with Unity, other than some reused assets. Syndicate is not truly comparable with any of the games in the series.

• Like 2

Assassins Creed Brotherhood was so underrated. When I recently went back and completed it on The Ezio Collection, I actually enjoyed it more than AC2, which was always my favourite. Sure, It's basically a more beefed up version of 2, but for me the new gameplay features and the idea of recruiting your creed, sending them out on missions to level up, and having the ability to use them during combat at almost any time really worked for me. If Ubisoft ever stray away from the RPG format, I think returning to the roots and using this feature would be the way to go.

I'm not entirely sure how this could work yet (as I haven't played it) but imagine if AC took a small influence from Watch Dogs Legion, and you could use that format to find potential Assassins, build a creed ETC. Obviously, it would have to be more refined, but it could work? 

SIG-2.jpg

Brotherhood was the pinnacle of the Ezio trilogy.  The gameplay was as smooth as silk, and the story/setting was great.  Revelations took one step too far, and the story was not super interesting IMO.

• Like 2

Grichka Bogdanoff

I think the only thing that didn't make me appreciate Revelation as much as II/Brotherhood was how the setting relates to the story. I mean, I liked the game and I consider it to be very good, but between the three it's the one I'd place last in order of preference.

I didn't find Costantinople as appealing as Rome or Central/Northern Italy, travelling between the two districts was just too annoying but the verticality of it was pretty good mostly thanks to the grappling hook. Cappadocia was boring and filler, just a rocky underground place with nothing to it. 
And generally it just too much of the same, I didn't find bomb crafting to be enough to innovate a very good but stale formula and the mediterrean conquest was just irrelevant. 

a Hideo Kojima post.

• Like 2

It’s actually kinda funny, when I was younger, I loved Brotherhood, but going back to play it, I actually find it my least favorite of the ezio trilogy.

Not a big fan of Rome in the game (it feels a bit too limiting in regards to the areas I can climb, and the countryside feels like more or less empty space). But overall the biggest problems for me comes from the story. From the usage of various characters (especially someone like Cesare Borgia) to how Ezio feels a little too perfect in the story, it just feels, underwhelming for me going back to it. On the other hand, of the 3 games, it feels like Revelations truly shows Ezio at both his wisest, yet also his most flawed, and it was something I appreciate. Not to mention the portrayal of Altair as well (and, as much as I hate the platform of aspect to them, the story behind Desmond’s Journey is actually somewhat intriguing, shame that they waited until the penultimate game to give that type of backstory to him, but it is what it is)

giphy.webp

Ubisoft after the Cyberpunk 2077 delay

• KEKW 2

7 hours ago, Dbzk1999 said:

it feels a bit too limiting in regards to the areas I can climb

This is how I felt about AC3.  

AC3/Rogue/Black Flag were my least favourites out of them all. I really wanted to like Black Flag, but I just never got there. Also, unpopular opinion but I hated the sailing on it (which is a big deal when playing a pirate game) I don't enjoy the sailing in any of them so far, Origins included. I felt it was always too clunky and awkward. 

I know Valhalla will have sailing missions, I just hope it isn't tonnes and tonnes. 

SIG-2.jpg

2 hours ago, LittleBlueTroll said:

This is how I felt about AC3.  

AC3/Rogue/Black Flag were my least favourites out of them all. I really wanted to like Black Flag, but I just never got there. Also, unpopular opinion but I hated the sailing on it (which is a big deal when playing a pirate game) I don't enjoy the sailing in any of them so far, Origins included. I felt it was always too clunky and awkward. 

I know Valhalla will have sailing missions, I just hope it isn't tonnes and tonnes. 

Agreed with AC3, especially in regards to New York. Now the Frontier at least felt more parkour friendly, but the cities flat out sucked in that regard. Regardless, shame ya didn’t like Black Flag, while I know it’s sailing aspect wasn’t for everyone, I would say that, contrary to people that always try to claim it’s not a “real” assassin’s creed game, which is something I always found absurd, it explores the importance of the creed in a way that hadn’t been done since the first game

First AC i'm going to be playing on this ultra wide monitor. I just hope it's fully supported at 21:9 aspect ratio and not relying on some community fix.

I'm going to wait to pick this up until I manage to get a PS5.

Edited by Zello

I opened YT and lo and behold f*cking zenar aesthetics has made like 50+ videos on the game. I'm not too concerned for this game, but for Cyberpunk I don't want to see sh*t. I even used video blocker and keyword blocker to block his channel and videos but this f*cker still pops up😂. Anyone knows what to do?

Edited by EliteGamer_6

3 hours ago, Zello said:

I'm going to wait to pick this up until I manage to get a PS5.

Worth it, I suspect, because of the 60fps on XSX/PS5.

4 hours ago, DEADWOODZ said:

First AC i'm going to be playing on this ultra wide monitor. I just hope it's fully supported at 21:9 aspect ratio and not relying on some community fix.

Origins did from the 10 hours or so I played it, and Odyssey had full support including UI and menus. Cutscenes had blackbars on either side however.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Cutscenes had blackbars on either side however.

Yeah, hex edit it is then...i find myself doing that with most triple A titles.

19 minutes ago, DEADWOODZ said:

Yeah, hex edit it is then...i find myself doing that with most triple A titles.

Yea that'll be the route if they don't fix it this time round. Personally I can live with black bars in cutscenes, my big petpeeve personally is the UI not supporting 21:9, especially the menus. Well, that and games not supporting 21:9 at all obviously, or go the zoomed in 16:9 route, which makes people dizzy.

Just pre purchased and pre downloaded this! Actually quite excited now, this is the most excited I've been for an Assassins Creed game in a long time!

I did it on the Epic Games Store, still a bit peeved that it isn't on steam, but hey-ho. 

Also, some of that gameplay on the video above is giving me strong Witcher 3 vibes. If it is't even a quarter as good as W3, we are in for a treat! 

• Like 2

SIG-2.jpg

19 hours ago, EliteGamer_6 said:

I opened YT and lo and behold f*cking zenar aesthetics has made like 50+ videos on the game. I'm not too concerned for this game, but for Cyberpunk I don't want to see sh*t. I even used video blocker and keyword blocker to block his channel and videos but this f*cker still pops up😂. Anyone knows what to do?

I remember when some YT c*nt playing RDR2 was putting spoilers in the titles of his videos. When everyone downvoted the content and berated him in the comments, rather than change the titles he defended his scummy practice. Dude had about 30k subs as well. Not sure how it made it that far. 

Sorry, I can't help. Best bet is just use a new YT or existing one and don't follow or like any content. Just browse the content you want to see. Don't feed the algorithm! Or, use incognito mode.  

I think I'm going to pick this up instead of Legion. I think my hype for legion is greater than Valhalla because the game's settings and themes appeal more to me but I don't want to play two back-to-back cyberpunk games when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out. Going to do from Viking fantasy to future sci-fi. It's going to be a nice change. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mister Pink said:

I remember when some YT c*nt playing RDR2 was putting spoilers in the titles of his videos. When everyone downvoted the content and berated him in the comments, rather than change the titles he defended his scummy practice. Dude had about 30k subs as well. Not sure how it made it that far. 

Sorry, I can't help. Best bet is just use a new YT or existing one and don't follow or like any content. Just browse the content you want to see. Don't feed the algorithm! Or, use incognito mode.  

I think I'm going to pick this up instead of Legion. I think my hype for legion is greater than Valhalla because the game's settings and themes appeal more to me but I don't want to play two back-to-back cyberpunk games when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out. Going to do from Viking fantasy to future sci-fi. It's going to be a nice change. 

I might as well use incognito, as I seem to use it everysingle time. 😂 Thanks for the help

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

I think I'm going to pick this up instead of Legion.

I don't know too much about Legion, I'm not a massive Watch Dogs fan, but I really think you'll get more bang for your buck with AC. Looks absolutely huge, I can see myself plunging some hours in to this.

• Like 1

SIG-2.jpg

3 minutes ago, LittleBlueTroll said:

I don't know too much about Legion, I'm not a massive Watch Dogs fan, but I really think you'll get more bang for your buck with AC. Looks absolutely huge, I can see myself plunging some hours in to this.

I've tried but never been able to love AC games. I want to love the series but ultimately let down by them all the time. Valhalla looks like it might just be the one I actually finish (last one I finished was AC2). Watch Dogs is good but again, I haven't been able to love the series. But.. was starting to really being to almost love Watch Dogs 2 after many failed starts. For me the mission launcher is not confusing but not clear enough and it affects the storytelling. I think making it  more clear what is side-missions and main missions would help. Also, it doesn't help that I'd play it, f*ck around and put it down for months. 

I'm excited to play in England and to get DLC of Ireland for Valhalla. So, I'll probably go with this. 

today i got my copy early at a local shop, so happy right now :)

(eivor dies in the end)

joking, didnt even start the game yet

• Like 1

Grichka Bogdanoff
1 hour ago, Punkd said:

today i got my copy early at a local shop, so happy right now :)

(eivor dies in the end)

joking, didnt even start the game yet

Foocking nice. I hope I get mine on Monday. Not sure how I'll be able to pick it up since I'm in isolation but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Please tell me how the movements feel, are they "slippery" like in Origins/Odyssey or they're better, considering the slightly slower pace of the game?

a Hideo Kojima post.

The combat style still doesn't convinced me but I might try it out in a near future just for the beautiful open world.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hideo Kojima said:

Foocking nice. I hope I get mine on Monday. Not sure how I'll be able to pick it up since I'm in isolation but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Please tell me how the movements feel, are they "slippery" like in Origins/Odyssey or they're better, considering the slightly slower pace of the game?

a Hideo Kojima post.

16 minutes ago, TheJesus1996 said:

The combat style still doesn't convinced me but I might try it out in a near future just for the beautiful open world.

im probably to busy to start the game today (shame on me, but real life :d )

i watched some gameplay since twitch and yt are full of people playing the game already, the combat physics rly seem to be "clunky", we will see how it plays out when you really play it

i also enjoy the exploring and the open world, like with ac odyssey or rdr2, i love games where you are just moving around and stop at several spots and look at the view because its so beautiful (playing on xbox one x)

Edited by Punkd
  • Like 2

Just got the game pre downloaded (pc). Since watching the Viking series througout the summer, this caught my attention straight away.

The soundtrack alone i think is fantastic!

• Like 2

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.