Assassin's Creed Valhalla

UltraZ

Don't like the direction the series has taken since odyssey, but atleast there's some hope for this title since Ashraf Ismail and Darby Mcdevitt are back on the writing team(Both of them were involved in AC4, Ashraf wrote Origins and Darby wrote AC4 and Revelations). Plus it's being developed by Ubisoft Montreal so there's that. 
Well the writers have mentioned that assassins will be making some sort of a return, and will have a similar role as they did in AC4. Atleast it's something unlike odyssey though. 

Although I think the Viking setting is a bit overused I still think Ubisoft will make something out of it. Again I hope the parkour and combat isn't as bad as Odyssey. Apart from that most mechanics (non-linear story, dialogue-based choices) from Odyssey are confirmed.

Mister Pink

Can't really get in the Assassin's Creed. I don't like the animius stuff, I think it's just fluff. That's not the worst part though. All the titles for me so far are this big open-world games with nothing above the surface. They are big and shallow. I did like the second one and mix of fiction and real history. But again, I found it big and a bit shallow. Like exploration is worthless. And there are so many collectibles and they show on the map, it just seems a bit contrived. Lots of repetitive filler to make it long and big. The storytelling to me was a bit confusing and/or not so engaging. Now, I'll accept it could be me, having a hard time following along (could be that I was finding it hard to be immersed in the world) but I did have that issue with other games.  

And the thing about Assassin's Creed, the reason I'm being harsh is that I've played a few titles because I want to like it.  There are some great ideas there, great settings. But I find the whole thing marred by this industrial-style, factory-outputted style that spoils Ubisoft games. 

I don't know what new direction Origins and Odyssey have taken. I heard they tried to correct the staleness of older titles. What are the main differences?  Is the world still massive with nothing in it apart from collectibles?  There's nothing in AC like RDR or GTA, Fallout or Skyrim where you explore somewhere unusual, you might come across something unique. Just trees, grass, collectibles and NPCs walking about doing nothing etc. 

This trailer for Valhalla looks stunning. The fighting was excellent. It's the best look at next-gen gaming we got so far. And we'll see more at the Xbox event on May 7th. 

Enjoying the Viking theme because we have viking history in my country. Also, I haven't watched Vikings or anything so, playing a game like this might inspire me to watch the TV show. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 3

TheSantader25
52 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

I don't know what new direction Origins and Odyssey have taken. I heard they tried to correct the staleness of older titles. What are the main differences?  Is the world still massive with nothing in it apart from collectibles?  There's nothing in AC like RDR or GTA, Fallout or Skyrim where you explore somewhere unusual, you might come across something unique. Just trees, grass, collectibles and NPCs walking about doing nothing etc. 

Couldn't agree more. I personally haven't enjoyed an AC game since Black Flag. I liked Black flag because it explored the pirate theme which was a concept that was barely touched in the gaming industry before. But still the problems did exist. I feel like the content in AC games do not have depth. The gameplay, story and pretty much everything feel shallow to me. And that's a feeling I've been getting from Ubisoft games since 2013.

I feel like they don't have the same passion as before and they are just there to make loads of videogames in minimum amount of time. It's simply quantity over quality when it comes to Ubisoft. I guess they have a different approach to gaming in comparison to companies like R* or CDPR. Which is alright I guess. Their games can be great actually if you have nothing else to play and want to just find a new game to play but to me, they don't seem ambitious enough. Which is a shame. They have great ideas that can revolutionize the industry but don't execute them properly. They don't take their time. Watch Dogs being a prime example. 

AC currently is heading towards being an RPG. It pretty much is an RPG at this point but still it lacks depth and it's going even further downhill IMO. The trailer we saw was obviously cinematic so I can't really assume anything gameplay wise based on that. But I'm always ready for Ubisoft to surprise me. So let's see what happens with this one. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Mister Pink

Well I'm glad someone else thinks the same way as I do for this series. I too, enjoyed Black Flag, for the same reasons. I didn't play it much before I put it down but it was fun being on the ships, fighting. 

2 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

........AC currently is heading towards being an RPG. It pretty much is an RPG at this point but still it lacks depth and it's going even further downhill IMO. The trailer we saw was obviously cinematic so I can't really assume anything gameplay wise based on that. But I'm always ready for Ubisoft to surprise me. So let's see what happens with this one. 

Yeah, I think I read that they made it more of an RPG, which I like the sound of. And same, I'm hoping they do surprise me. Or there's just a title with a setting I enjoy too much that I can overlook the glaring faults. 

Looking forward to May 7th, when we'll see Xbox's even and we should see more Valhalla. 

Nice screens though. Looks like there's some nice variance in the the environment. 

3664199-491495eaa1d5ac55350.17796576-acv

3664198-491495eaa1d608140e6.78434262-acv

3664200-491495eaa1d61af4780.23224602-acv

• Like 2

Personally for me the Assassin's Creed series hasn't been the same since Desmond's story wrapped up. I didn't like Assassin's Creed III as much as the other ones, but it felt like a nice conclusion to the saga. Since then I've stopped caring about the stories as much as none of the protagonists have been as good as Ezio IMO. They're in one game and never to be seen again. Ezio had unmatched development across multiple games.

I loved Syndicate partly because it was as close to a modern Assassin's Creed as we've seen so far, but the games have been a bit of a roller coaster since 2013. I appreciated that they tried shaking things up with Origins and Odyssey, but I'm more of a fan of the cinematic style of the old games than the "Witcher" style of newer Assassin's Creed games.

I'll probably pick this up because I'm a huge history buff of any facets of history, but the actual "Assassin's Creed" part of these games has been missing from some time. I'll tell you what though Ubisoft have some serious competition from Ghost Of Tsushima that's releasing in a couple of months. For years fans of the Assassin's Creed series have demanded a visit to the Feudal Japan era and that's what we'll get in Ghost Of Tsushima and I'm bloody excited to be a Samurai in a fully authentic open world of Tsushima Island. From what I've read so far it strikes up feelings of Assassin's Creed of old. Only downside is it's a PS4 exclusive. Lucky I have more than one console.:ph34r:

Anyway I hope Valhalla is a great game, but I'm just not too sure about the Viking stuff. It's not that the games have been terrible or anything (Well maybe with the exception of Unity since it launched with more bugs than a pest control could handle). I just miss "Assassin's Creed" if you know what I mean.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, SonOfLiberty said:

I appreciated that they tried shaking things up with Origins and Odyssey, but I'm more of a fan of the cinematic style of the old games than the "Witcher" style of newer Assassin's Creed games.

Exactly! I liked how they did the RPG system in Origins even though it was a bit grindy, but Odyssey just felt like a downgrade in terms of everything. By turning it into a full on RPG they compromised on the animations which looked awful, and the parkour which was really disappointing. The voice acting was pretty sub-par as well. I guess the AC games are better off having a linear story in my opinion. I loved The Witcher 3 but it was very uncreative on Ubisoft's part to follow the RPG trend especially when they compromised on some important aspects of the series that really made it stand out from the rest. I guess that was for the better from a business standpoint though, Odyssey sold well and managed to bring a completely new fanbase to the franchise. I just hope the Assassins are more prominent in Valhalla, and that they don't try to completely ignore that they even existed.

• Like 3

LowTierDude

What's next? Assassin's Creed: Teotihuacan?

thisisdagger
20 hours ago, DownInTheHole said:

What's next? Assassin's Creed: Teotihuacan?

Depends... if set during the Spanish conquistador arrive it could actually be pretty interesting. I would definitely prefer that to a viking setting but thats just me not liking cold/winter  settings in games in general, I love my palm trees.

LowTierDude
47 minutes ago, thisisdagger said:

Depends... if set during the Spanish conquistador arrive it could actually be pretty interesting. I would definitely prefer that to a viking setting but thats just me not liking cold/winter  settings in games in general, I love my palm trees.

It was a joke but it's an interesting prospect tbh.

There's not a lot of stuff out there that's set in Pre-Columbian era South America.

thisisdagger
1 minute ago, DownInTheHole said:

It was a joke but it's an interesting prospect tbh.

There's not a lot of stuff out there that's set in Pre-Columbian era South America.

There are a few games but most of them are top down strategy games. I would love to have something else like I had this idea of a fps kind of game that pitches Native Americans vs conquistadors. A bit like Rising storm Vietnam but with swords, slings, clubs and arquebuses. Could be fun to explore but also quite controversial... the perfect game for me ^^

I'm also a sucker for asymmetrical balance

Awful Waffle

AC 1 and 2, Brotherhood and Revelations = awesome sauce

AC 3 = total sh!t show

Black Flag = awesome sauce, but doesn't feel like Assassin's Creed

AC Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate = awesome sauce

AC Origins and Odyssey = not terrible, not awesome, but doesn't feel like Assassins Creed

the Assassin's Creed series has become too diversified to judge the entire thing from a distance.

some of the games are great. some are forgettable. the difference for me is usually the gameplay itself. I can take or leave the physical location and most of the story elements. that being said?

I'm getting a little sick of Europe. been there, done that is starting to become a serious understatement.

I was one of those people really hoping that AC would go to South or Central America when the Mesoamerican cultures began first interacting with Conquistador explorers. or maybe to feudal Japan during the height of the Samurai.

there are so many fascinating and rich and deep cultures on this Earth for us to explore. I'm getting bored with white dudes doing WASPY things in WASPY parts of the world.

oh well...

Edited by Awful Waffle
  • Like 2

Corndawg93

After playing and loving Odyssey and playing 3, Black Flag, Rogue, Unity and Syndicate I look forward to playing this

Edited by Corndawg93

Liberty City Executioner

I can’t wait! Looks awesome! Viking theme!

Same, I've been watching through the Vikings series in prep. I'm honestly looking forward as to what they'll show us! Also dipping into Odyssey for the most part.

Edited by DEADWOODZ

That's Ubisoft's take on gameplay lul. Anyways i'm looking forward to it! Back to watching Vikings.

LittleJesus
17 minutes ago, DEADWOODZ said:

That's Ubisoft's take on gameplay lul. Anyways i'm looking forward to it! Back to watching Vikings.

Looks good tbh but I'm gonna wait to see some gameplay demo in the near future 

Seems like neither the guys doing the Xbox stream nor Ubisoft have any idea what "gameplay" means. Valhalla looks pretty good though.

Edited by UltraZ

5 hours ago, TheJesus1996 said:

So that's all? I was expecting some gameplay 

Ashraf tweeted this last night. He did say it was a teaser.

• Like 1

DexMacLeod

It's kinda weird. Usually I feel like Ubisoft gives too much away and way too soon. This feels kinda the opposite. It feels like they're holding back due to all the digital only E3 replacements this summer, but they've gotta deal with Microsoft so they had to give them something.

In other news, apparently the game will be "shorter and smaller" in response to complaints that Odyssey was too long and big.

https://screenrant.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-smaller-odyssey-fan-complaints/

• Like 1

Mister Pink

Microsoft were totally complacent in this.  They marketed the event. They knew the content. It was up to them to market it according to the footage that was shown. Ubisoft most likely wanted to play hardball and said "take it or leave it." Microsoft/Xbox took it. But it's not gameplay. It's poor. If Xbox said we're getting a "sneak peak", that would have been managing expectations more realistically. To me, this event wasn't marketed by someone with videogame experience. How could they be so tone-deaf to what a gamer expects?  I reckon it was a suit that organized this and probably against the better judgment of colleagues. I hope this will be a lesson Xbox will learn from. Otherwise, their Series X marketing plan has been phenomenal.

Anyway, I don't mind. The game wont be out for a long time and Xbox has these events every month now for the rest of the year. Next month is first-party Series X titles. 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 1

Because E3 is cancelled everything feels weird but from what I've seen so far, reveals are playing out as per usual.

One or two months before E3 things get announced, teased, with the full reveals at E3 and it seems like it's happening again even with E3 the event being cancelled. Seems like next month is still going to be when studios show games off properly.

It's amazing that this stuff still happens to be honest. Studios calling in-engine footage with zero actual gameplay footage gameplay trailers cause it's in-engine. Every single time it happens fans are like "u wot m8" but no one ever seems to learn lol.

• Like 2

Einer Selvik of Vikings, yeah i'm down with that!

HaRdSTyLe_83

my character in ESO right now

2q7Af9X.jpg

• KEKW 1

DexMacLeod

Live chat with Ashraf Ismail currently going on.

Edited by DexMacLeod