Jump to content

What's the point of doing long distance deliveries?


thebigchocolateman

Recommended Posts

thebigchocolateman

You do get a little more money, but overall it seems like a lot of risk for a lack of reward. Firstly, it takes a lot longer, meaning that the player misses out on time to generate profit for a small bonus, and also with other players being able to attack your delivery there seems to be a lot of disadvantages to advantages. Not to mention that with two small deliveries you could receive more experience from fighting off whoever you have to fight off to make the delivery.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CosmicBuffalo
4 hours ago, thebigchocolateman said:

You do get a little more money, but overall it seems like a lot of risk for a lack of reward. Firstly, it takes a lot longer, meaning that the player misses out on time to generate profit for a small bonus, and also with other players being able to attack your delivery there seems to be a lot of disadvantages to advantages. Not to mention that with two small deliveries you could receive more experience from fighting off whoever you have to fight off to make the delivery.

 

Large Wagon: 100 Goods, $500.00 Local, $625.00 Far, 250% over butcher, 313% over butcher with efficiency perk

 

I think I have been attacked maybe 5 times in the 100s of large sales I have done solo.  And each time, I simply turned off the game and all my goods were still there.  I recently did this reset when I accidentally started a sale instead of a resupply.  It goes without saying that your time is maximized by doing large sales to distant buyers.  You are wasting your time if you are choosing not to out of fear of other players.  To put it another way, if you think anyone doing far sales is actually losing the full load, you are mistaken...after 4 far sales, a person has completed 5 close sales in terms of in game money and an about 30 minutes more riding to their delivery points   Which in turn saves 2-3 hours of time depending on how you are hunting.  But hey, some people detest pvp and even the thought of engaging in it is worth it for them to sell close.  But as far as time goes, you are not saving time.  I actually welcome pvp.  I have escaped many a dingbat to make the delivery...those are actually fun.

Edited by CosmicBuffalo
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2020 at 3:58 PM, CosmicBuffalo said:

Large Wagon: 100 Goods, $500.00 Local, $625.00 Far, 250% over butcher, 313% over butcher with efficiency perk

 

I think I have been attacked maybe 5 times in the 100s of large sales I have done solo.  And each time, I simply turned off the game and all my goods were still there.  I recently did this reset when I accidentally started a sale instead of a resupply.  It goes without saying that your time is maximized by doing large sales to distant buyers.  You are wasting your time if you are choosing not to out of fear of other players.  To put it another way, if you think anyone doing far sales is actually losing the full load, you are mistaken...after 4 far sales, a person has completed 5 close sales in terms of in game money and an about 30 minutes more riding to their delivery points   Which in turn saves 2-3 hours of time depending on how you are hunting.  But hey, some people detest pvp and even the thought of engaging in it is worth it for them to sell close.  But as far as time goes, you are not saving time.  I actually welcome pvp.  I have escaped many a dingbat to make the delivery...those are actually fun.

There are additional time savings in addition to raw hunting time; Cripp's processing time and (in the 5 vs 4 example you used) 20% fewer re-supply job runs or $20 hits to buying a resupply.  It's likely that the resupply job time savings alone covers the extended duration of the delivery runs since you need 4 per 100 Goods at an average of what, 10 minutes each?

Edited by Hiply
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

CosmicBuffalo
4 minutes ago, Hiply said:

There are additional time savings in addition to raw hunting time; Cripp's processing time and (in the 5 vs 4 example you used) 20% fewer re-supply job runs or $20 hits to buying a resupply.  It's likely that the resupply job time savings alone covers the extended duration of the delivery runs since you need 4 per 100 Goods at an average of what, 10 minutes each?

uh..it takes the exact same time to produce 100 goods no matter what delivery method. and it takes 4 resupplies which are random on the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CosmicBuffalo said:

uh..it takes the exact same time to produce 100 goods no matter what delivery method. and it takes 4 resupplies which are random on the time.

I'm sorry, I clearly didn't say that well:

You need 4 far runs to earn the same as 5 locals.  That means 4 production cycles vs 5 and 16 resupplies vs 20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CosmicBuffalo
1 minute ago, Hiply said:

I'm sorry, I clearly didn't say that well:

You need 4 far runs to earn the same as 5 locals.  That means 4 production cycles vs 5 and 16 resupplies vs 20.

So, you are saying it takes less time to do 20 resupply runs v. 16...I included this in my time, because no matter what you are thinking about production, production is unaffected by the distance you sell.  Production is only affected by resupplies and hunting.  Which selling short, causes you to do more of both for the same amount of money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CosmicBuffalo said:

So, you are saying it takes less time to do 20 resupply runs v. 16...I included this in my time, because no matter what you are thinking about production, production is unaffected by the distance you sell.  Production is only affected by resupplies and hunting.  Which selling short, causes you to do more of both for the same amount of money.

No, I'm saying the exact opposite!

It's far more efficient to do far runs than local runs because you have a) less hunting time, b) fewer resupply runs, and c) one less production cycle.  I'm supporting your position, not arguing with you.  That's why I said:

"There are additional time savings in addition to raw hunting time"
 

Edited by Hiply
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

CosmicBuffalo
10 minutes ago, Hiply said:

No, I'm saying the exact opposite!

It's far more efficient to do far runs than local runs because you have a) less hunting time, b) fewer resupply runs, and c) one less production cycle.  I'm supporting your position, not arguing with you.

Oh, I misunderstood.  I thought you were the OP as well.  The thread was misguided...the only reason to not do far sales, is fear of other players, but it doesn't save time.  I think what threw me off was that resupplies are controllable and currently hunting is not and unless you are glitching a solo lobby or constantly hunting in legendary bounty hunter missions, your materials are always running out.  My point is that no matter what, you are pretty much stuck doing resupplies...but regardless this time is baked into running the business and is the same for everyone...eventually this would add up, but not as much as keeping materials stocked which is currently a huge bane for most players.  And obviously buying them is the way to go unless you are mad man and going for 1000 resupplies buckle.

 

Edited by CosmicBuffalo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only do long distance when it is for the dailies:

 

If it is ONLY long distance delivery, I wait until I've done a regular and only have a few built up stock. Then I do the long distance, blow up the wagon, then throw the one bag on the horse and do it.

 

If it is long distance delivery by wagon, or distance traveled by wagon for delivery, I'll do the same thing but not blow it up and just take the wagon (which is small, so fast.)

 

Since you make so much money anyway, I don't find it worth doing with a full load.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I just glitch a solo lobby, guaranteed griefer free, and as a bonus there's a good chance of picking up a legendary animal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2020 at 6:58 PM, EdHunter said:

I just glitch a solo lobby, guaranteed griefer free, and as a bonus there's a good chance of picking up a legendary animal.

 

I STILL can't get that to happen, on Xbox One. I've done the suggested thing of getting a resupply, from Cripps, then

just standing around in camp for it to run out which will supposedly get you a solo resupply mission; It never does that

for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Krommer said:

 

I STILL can't get that to happen, on Xbox One. I've done the suggested thing of getting a resupply, from Cripps, then

just standing around in camp for it to run out which will supposedly get you a solo resupply mission; It never does that

for me.

I don’t do that method. What works for me 95% of the time is to sit at the campfire left on the D-pad select Online Options, Social Matching Off then go down the screen to Change Appearance (you will not be charged anything if you don’t change anything). Once you’ve gone through the loading screens and you can see your character DO NOTHING FOR ROUGHLY 3 MINUTES. Once the 3 minutes are up back out of the change character. Once back in game you should be just outside your camp, press left on the D-pad and check players, if it’s just you, yay, go sell, the lobby repopulates after the sale is done. If you do get a populated lobby rinse and repeat and if it drops you at Mcfarlane Ranch and it’s a solo lobby, just spawn your camp nearby.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ALifeOfMisery

Until now I'd have said always do local deliveries, the potential to lose your sale for the sake of an extra $125 just isn't worth it.

 

But recently, with these low population lobbies, I've been running distant sales every day. 

 

I still don't really think it's worth it, as I prefer the shorter sale missions, but I might as well make hay while the sun shines.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, about the time it became "doable" the extra $100 is meaningless to me ;)

 

Lately, nearly every lobby I'm in is me and 1-4 people and it often dwindles

to just me.

 

400 and some gold bars, with more than $24000. Outside of occasionally

buying a new hat/whatever, there is nothing to spend it on besides buying level 80

right away in the newest wheeler/rawson and buying the stuff for Naturalist; once I did

that, just sitting on tons of gold/cash again with it still coming in from dailies and the occasional

local trader/moonshine delivery for dailies. 

Edited by Krommer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Back in April, I would've probably approved the convincing reasoning to do distant sales, but it's not worth it for me nowadays. Maybe that's thanks to the Naturalist update? I don't know, I mean it sure did ease up the hunt for materials thanks to the introduction of legendary animals, and nowadays you have these low player-count lobbies where you have better chances of encountering legendary animals, events and such. Despite that, it's simply what I think or how I personally see it, mostly due to how much time I spent grinding, I feel like I've depleted every bit of this game, so your approach to this is probably different than mine, and it may just happen to be convincing enough for you.

Edited by Fun 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before the low population lobby. Long distance, was a great tool to spawn random events on the map.

And excellent bait for PVP encounters (if that's your thing).

 

I would only attempt, long distance runs with extremely low supplies (in heavy populated lobbies). Crash the cart, stow supply sack on horse and enjoy the ride.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leftover Pizza

I did 2 long distance sales for the daily yesterday. Low pop lobbies make it an easy ride, but a damn long one. Had to go from the west part of the Great Plains to Emerald Station. That’s a long time tapping X and holding off bandits chasing you all the way down to your destination. Second sale was to Armadillo Station, which was a lot closer to camp. Even though it’s very low risk these days, I don’t feel the time spent is worth the extra $125. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2020 at 4:21 AM, Leftover Pizza said:

I did 2 long distance sales for the daily yesterday. Low pop lobbies make it an easy ride, but a damn long one. Had to go from the west part of the Great Plains to Emerald Station. That’s a long time tapping X and holding off bandits chasing you all the way down to your destination. Second sale was to Armadillo Station, which was a lot closer to camp. Even though it’s very low risk these days, I don’t feel the time spent is worth the extra $125. 

I did one from outside of Rhodes to Macfarlane Ranch Station, not too bad of a ride but I came across a legendary cougar and spent 15 minutes trying to kill it, which while fun, left me with a 10 minute journey with 4 minutes left on the clock and bandits chasing after me! I rode a straight line and got to the destination with 6 seconds left on the clock!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
aaronBLUEeyes

It’s not a little more money, you and your posse earn a solid percentage more from long distance deliveries.

 

Large Local Delivery = $500.

Large Distant Delivery = $625.

We earn $312 helping posse members selling their goods also, it’s the best way for a Posse to make money quickly.

 

My posse and I fill-up our Cripps then run 3-6 Long Distance deliveries back-to-back netting $1,249–1,873 each. And as others have said it also open ups some collecting and random event encounters, like finding treasure hunters along the way.

 

Our most profitable run was the day we sold all our goods, then we all used our 25 FREE Trade Goods Rewards from OP5, so we quickly doubled our sales netting over $3,000!

Edited by aaronBLUEeyes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2020 at 1:57 PM, IamCourtney said:

More time to pack a bowl and hit it during a distant delivery

LOL...I hate that you have to hold X in cinematic mode when driving wagons...It forces me to put the controller down and hold it with my toe while I roll

  • Like 1
  • KEKW 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

TBH, except when you are first starting and you just got your Trader... It does not matter.

 

Why?  Simply doing all of your dailies will keep you busy and not leave a lot of time for other things. 

 

Worse, there are so many "delivery" dailies that is he vast majority of my deliveriea are with vastly incomplete carts.   I do far more "daily" deliveries with 1-5 units in the cart than full cart deliveries.   And it certainly takes the stress out of distant ones, plus it makes me laugh all the way back to camp when I do get attacked and someone tries to steal it.  Better yet if I blow it up with dynamite so that the scumbag gets absolutely nothing.

 

Best anti-griefing technique ever.   Reminds me of honeypots that we use to nail hackers.

Edited by zPhoenix
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.