Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. Los Santos Tuners
      2. Updates
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Blood Money
      2. Frontier Pursuits
      3. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      4. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. GTA San Andreas

      1. Classic GTA SA
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    2. GTA Vice City

      1. Classic GTA VC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    3. GTA III

      1. Classic GTA III
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    6. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

      1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

Gta & London 1969 & 61, any way to make them playable?


Grove4life5
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello, I decided to start from the beginning and get all old top-down GTA games as well, the games start up and the menu works as it should but the game is self runs at 1-3 fps, or maybe it just stutters a lot, there's also some graphical glitches with buidings and what not,

None of this happens in GTA 2. Is there anything I can do about it? Or are my PC specs too low?

 

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

 

Motherboard

Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF (AM4)

 

CPU

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

 

16 GB RAM

 

GPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

 

Current Resolution  [email protected]

 

Please don't leave me here in the dark and cold...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Grove4life5

 

Have you tried running the games in compatibility mode? Preferably running it on Windows 98 might work well. 

 

If you need help with how to run an application in compatibility mode, just @ me

Edited by gig
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@gig

 

Hadn't thought of that, but when I try that I get 2 errors: WinDirect Error - Unable to link to KERNEL32.DLL! and: MGL Fatal Error! - Cannot load WDIRxxf.DLL!

 

I have no idea what those mean :/ Supose there's something the game tried to link to that I don't have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Grove4life5

 

I tried looking into this myself, and apparently there is no way to acquire WDIRxxf.DDL anymore. 

 

Your next viable option is to try running the compatibility mode through Windows XP. Other than that, I am not sure how this problem can be attended to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@gig

 

For running it for XP I get another fatal MGL error: code 257,426 - please run "settings" first (open registry key)

 

If there's no way around that I think I'm in bad luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get the GTA Max Pack:

 

 

This runs them in DOSBOX, a DOS emulator.

 

GTA 1, London 1969 and London 1961 used to run fine for years, but later Windows versions could only run the in 16-bit colour at a really low frame rate and with graphical glitches, but you could still switch to 32-bit colour by pressing F11. Around 5-7 years ago, the average CPU (not a gaming PC) got too powerful to run it. Even in 32-bit colour the screen started blinking. Windows 10 just shows a blank screen when you switch to 32-bit colour. So they're unfortunately no longer compatible natively with modern Windows. You either need an old PC or an emulator like DOSBOX.

 

I recently beat the Windows versions of all three on an old Windows 98 SE machine, and I can attest that I saw and felt no difference when playing them emulated in DOSBOX versus natively on real, era-approriate hardware, not even in 3DFX mode. So go for the Max Pack. It's easily the best way to run it unless you have an MS-DOS (6.0 or higher), Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME machine around.

Edited by jm-9
  • Like 2
  • KEKW 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2020 at 3:00 PM, jm-9 said:

Get the GTA Max Pack:

 

 

This runs them in DOSBOX, a DOS emulator.

 

GTA 1, London 1969 and London 1961 used to run fine for years, but later Windows versions could only run the in 16-bit colour at a really low frame rate and with graphical glitches, but you could still switch to 32-bit colour by pressing F11. Around 5-7 years ago, the average CPU (not a gaming PC) got too powerful to run it. Even in 32-bit colour the screen started blinking. Windows 10 just shows a blank screen when you switch to 32-bit colour. So they're unfortunately no longer compatible natively with modern Windows. You either need an old PC or an emulator like DOSBOX.

 

I recently beat the Windows versions of all three on an old Windows 98 SE machine, and I can attest that I saw and felt no difference when playing them emulated in DOSBOX versus natively on real, era-approriate hardware, not even in 3DFX mode. So go for the Max Pack. It's easily the best way to run it unless you have an MS-DOS (6.0 or higher), Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME machine around.

So.. I was about to try that but first I wanted to confirm if it really was the same for me, turns out it is not.

 

The game runs fine now on 32bit.. I feel special.

 

Thank you both for your efforts...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Grove4life5 said:

So.. I was about to try that but first I wanted to confirm if it really was the same for me, turns out it is not.

 

The game runs fine now on 32bit.. I feel special.

 

Thank you both for your efforts...

Really? Interesting. It’s the first time I’ve ever heard of someone getting it to work natively in Windows 10. So there is hope for it running natively after all. Glad you got got it working!

 

For what it’s worth, most of the function keys do something:

 

F1 - F4 = send messages in multiplayer

F5 = change radio station

F6 = pause

F7 = repeat last pager message (top left of screen)

F8 = turn frame limiter on/off

F9 = display area name

F10 = repeat last message (bottom of screen)

F11 = change screen resolution and color depth

Edited by jm-9
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, jm-9 said:

Really? Interesting. It’s the first time I’ve ever heard of someone getting it to work natively in Windows 10. So there is hope for it running natively after all. Glad you got got it working!

 

For what it’s worth, most of the function keys do something:

 

F1 - F4 = send messages in multiplayer

F5 = change radio station

F6 = pause

F7 = repeat last pager message (top left of screen)

F8 = turn frame limiter on/off

F9 = display area name

F10 = repeat last message (bottom of screen)

F11 = change screen resolution and color depth

Thanks so much for that! Will be of much help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

install windows 95 or windows 98 virtual machine, and then run the games inside of it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.