Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Cayo Perico Heist
      2. The Diamond Casino Heist
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

DanDud88

Perfect game length

Recommended Posts

DanDud88

I felt Red Dead Redemption II's story was too long and that GTA V's story was too short.  So whats ur ideal story length for GTA VI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
imViolet

At least as long as RDR2. We'll have been waiting for over a decade by the time this game comes out, and I want loads of content.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlessioLaker

Main Story: > 70 hours

Side Missione : 35 hours

Collectibles: 20 hours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrBreak16

GTA VC had 66 missions, GTA IV had 88 missions, while GTA SA had over 100 missions. 
 

I guess it really depends on the story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zello

85-100 missions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kiveress
Posted (edited)

The problem is, that 30% of all gaming time length in GTA takes trips for the mission quests\locations and back.

If this trips could be cut from the game, game should become 30% shorter.

Essentially, forumla is always the same: starting in the safe house - meeting with boss - moving to the mission - beating mission - comeback to boss - return to safe house.

 

Edited by kiveress
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Wolf Man

The same of RDR2 from Ch. 1-6 (the Epilogue was unnecessary). 

 

85-100 missions overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kris194

The longer it is, the better for me. Of course it has to be interesting, not just long.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sckarface
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, imViolet said:

At least as long as RDR2. We'll have been waiting for over a decade by the time this game comes out, and I want loads of content.

Basically this. We’ve been waiting almost 7 years now for new single player GTA content. Rockstar is probably done with Single Player DLC forever so the longer the story the better. If you’re going to play the story for 30+ hours, your most likely still going to play the story for 45+ hours too (RDR2 length). Longer story in my opinion, could only add to a game. 
 

Having said that, I would of course want the story to be interesting (multiple characters, almost like a lengthy tv series). I don’t know what the percentage is, but most people who buy GTA games don’t even compete the story, but that shouldn’t take away from our experience as fans who love the series and love the game’s single player content. 

Edited by Sckarface
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
imViolet
14 minutes ago, Sckarface said:

Basically this. We’ve been waiting almost 7 years now for new single player GTA content. Rockstar is probably done with Single Player DLC forever so the longer the story the better. If you’re going to play the story for 30+ hours, your most likely still going to play the story for 45+ hours too (RDR2 length). Longer story in my opinion, could only add to a game. 
 

Having said that, I would of course want the story to be interesting (multiple characters, almost like a lengthy tv series). I don’t know what the percentage is, but most people who buy GTA games don’t even compete the story, but that shouldn’t take away from our experience as fans who love the series and love the game’s single player content. 

Definitely. If they were to go the multiple characters route again, I'd love to see something similar to Hank from Breaking Bad. Having both sides of the law so close to eachother and never knowing it would make for an interesting subplot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Algonquin Assassin

As much as I love RDR2 it did drag on (especially after Guarma). I don't think a story that long would be a good fit for a GTA game.

 

Ideally the length of GTA IV and San Andreas is the best middle ground and definitely not as short as GTA V if they plan on using multiple protagonists again. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Niobium

as a kid, i loved playing EFLC. i played IV before EFLC, but TLAD was the first GTA campaign i completed, possibly due to its short length. i got instantly hooked on the story and characters, and after i beat it, i wanted more. i soon completed TBOGT and IV after. although i now wish that TLAD's campaign was as long as IV's, i do think that its short length may have actually been an advantage in getting 11 year-old me to complete it.

 

of course, i don't think that 22 missions is going to be enough for GTA VI, but 88 may be too much and i doubt many will finish it even if the story is good. i feel like RDR1 had a sweet spot of 57 missions

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thejeffster

Longer than V's, by like about maybe 20 or so missions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dryspace
4 hours ago, DanDud88 said:

I felt Red Dead Redemption II's story was too long and that GTA V's story was too short.  So whats ur ideal story length for GTA VI. 

Really? RDR2 must have a campaign of truly epic proportions, then. My GTAV playthrough a couple years ago was about 80 hours. I do generally spend a lot of time exploring and admiring details in games, but GTAV doesn't have much going on in the world, so I can't imagine my playtime was inflated too much by that sort of thing.

 

At any rate, usually if a person feels something is too long or too short, it has a lot more to do with how much he is enjoying it, than the actual length of time it encompasses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xiled
8 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

GTA VC had 66 missions, GTA IV had 88 missions, while GTA SA had over 100 missions. 
 

I guess it really depends on the story

GTA IV has 136 missions if you include eflc. Also has 44 extra vehicles with eflc. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SlammerRPM

I want my OPCs to be able to do side missions and miscellaneous stuff in a solo/friends only/invite only session. Basically story mode for the OPCs. That includes boyfriends/girlfriends/one night stands etc. But not needy like in GTA IV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wise_man
On 3/31/2020 at 4:29 AM, imViolet said:

At least as long as RDR2. We'll have been waiting for over a decade by the time this game comes out, and I want loads of content.

Yeah, 80-100 missions, but make all of them interesting and less repetitive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WanteD1

Length doesn't matter
Replaying value matters!
For me GTA SA has more replaying value than any games!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeltaV20
On 3/31/2020 at 1:49 AM, DanDud88 said:

I felt Red Dead Redemption II's story was too long and that GTA V's story was too short.  So whats ur ideal story length for GTA VI. 

Rockstar made rdr2's story too big because rockstar was not going to make any SP dlc for rdr2 unlike gta v , they should made gta v's story big or just simply give SP content,

Gta Vice City stories and Gta Liberty Cities stories lenght is just perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Utopianthumbs
4 hours ago, WanteD1 said:

Length doesn't matter
Replaying value matters!
For me GTA SA has more replaying value than any games!

I kind of feel the same. Even the longest stories in SA and IV I didn't feel their length too much, in fact I felt they could have done more with their stories like in SA we didn't see the internal conflict of the Families sets explored too much and in IV I thought the Bohan part was too short 

 

If I had to choose a range I'd go maybe 80-90 missions but tbh I don't mind if it's longer or even shorter as long as the story is good and is fun to play through on subsequent attempts too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTA-Biker

If there's one protagonist,I think 70-80 story missions would be fine.However,if they make three protagonists again,they should make at least 100 story missions to properly develop them (GTA 5 felt too short and the characters poorly developed).

Edited by GTA-Biker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eternal Moonshine

San Andreas was IMO perfect in this regard so i hope VI will have 100 missions

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Schwartzxz

looooong. lots of main and side missions and activities. if its as long as RDR2 or longer Ill be very happy. it took me 3 months to finish RDR2 and I love when I can spend that much time slowly going through the game and enjoying it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KingAJ032304
On 3/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, Algonquin Assassin said:

As much as I love RDR2 it did drag on (especially after Guarma). I don't think a story that long would be a good fit for a GTA game.

 

Ideally the length of GTA IV and San Andreas is the best middle ground and definitely not as short as GTA V if they plan on using multiple protagonists again. 

Counter argument:

I think GTA VI should be even longer than the RDR games as a modern setting allows for more diversity in gameplay and mission design.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
On 3/31/2020 at 1:50 AM, Niobium said:

as a kid, i loved playing EFLC. i played IV before EFLC, but TLAD was the first GTA campaign i completed, possibly due to its short length. i got instantly hooked on the story and characters, and after i beat it, i wanted more. i soon completed TBOGT and IV after. although i now wish that TLAD's campaign was as long as IV's, i do think that its short length may have actually been an advantage in getting 11 year-old me to complete it.

 

of course, i don't think that 22 missions is going to be enough for GTA VI, but 88 may be too much and i doubt many will finish it even if the story is good. i feel like RDR1 had a sweet spot of 57 missions

RDR1 seems a bit short on missions to me (Mexico and the Beecher's Hope parts have just the right amounts but would've liked more in New Austin and when first in West Elizabeth). Plus I think GTA can easily stand to have more missions than RDR since GTA missions have more room for variation (RDR is very heavily just shooting/riding for the most part).

 

GTA V's 60 something was way too short so I hope for something closer to IV/SA/RDR2's length.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
snakeyybro

Wondering why is everyone (including me) thinking that GTA IV main story is longer than GTA V one. On Howlongtobeat side there is 3+- in average longer story in GTA V than GTA IV. But yea I have same feeling that I was playing IV story a lot more than V one. 🤯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
7 hours ago, snakeyybro said:

Wondering why is everyone (including me) thinking that GTA IV main story is longer than GTA V one. On Howlongtobeat side there is 3+- in average longer story in GTA V than GTA IV. But yea I have same feeling that I was playing IV story a lot more than V one. 🤯

GTA IV has like 90 missions, GTA V has 60 something, and that includes each heist set up "mission" eg buying boiler suits or stealing a trash truck as a full mission. Maybe people take longer to complete V's story on average and it has some longer missions that take up extra time (I also suspect it's because in V you have to travel longer distances and often can't take a cab plus getting a cab takes ages, while IV has a smaller map and cabs readily available everywhere), but it has way less missions. And worse they're shared between three protagonists making the story seem even shorter, whereas with IV + TLAD and TBOGT you get Niko's 90 plus another 20 something each for Johnny and Luis.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shaundi.

At minimum 95 story missions, at most, 118 and 30+ side missions. Maybe around 120 hours altogether.

 

And another 28 hours of story DLC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Algonquin Assassin
23 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

GTA IV has like 90 missions, GTA V has 60 something, and that includes each heist set up "mission" eg buying boiler suits or stealing a trash truck as a full mission. Maybe people take longer to complete V's story on average and it has some longer missions that take up extra time (I also suspect it's because in V you have to travel longer distances and often can't take a cab plus getting a cab takes ages, while IV has a smaller map and cabs readily available everywhere), but it has way less missions. And worse they're shared between three protagonists making the story seem even shorter, whereas with IV + TLAD and TBOGT you get Niko's 90 plus another 20 something each for Johnny and Luis.

Also too a good number of missions, mostly the “heist prep” missions don’t have cutscenes and they can be completed really fast.

 

During the story the Merryweather heist and Blitz Play felt like the worst offenders in this regard as they basically occurred one after the other and it felt like I was flying through despite trying to pace it as much as I could.

 

I think GTA V’s number of missions would be fine if it had one protagonist, but it simply tried too hard to cram too much into a tight space. I wish it had less of those Strangers & Freaks missions which honestly felt like it was trying to compensate for the mission count deficit and had more missions to spread the load.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.