1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why GTA VI will not be a PS4 or Xbox One game.

Secura

Secura

There seem to be a lot of people, newcomers to forums etc that believe for one reason or another that the game will launch for the current generation of consoles, this is unequivocally false and below I'll provide all the evidence needed to confirm that;

Firstly, Rockstar themselves have seldom announced a game and launched it within a year, so on the off chance that tomorrow there is a GTA VI announcement you can expect that the game is at least a year away, meaning that tt would likely launch in the winter of 2021 at the very earliest. That means that the PS4 and Xbox Series X will be over a year old when the game launches period. It's also important to note that both of these consoles are backwards compatible, meaning that if you are currently a PS4 or Xbox One owner and buy the new systems at launch you will still have access to your entire PS4 or Xbox One library of games from the previous generation. The PS3 and Xbox 360 did not allow owners of those consoles to play games of that generation on the PS4/Xbox One, this caused many gamers to wait to purchase next generation consoles because of the large amount of big name titles that came out at the end of that generation, games like The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, etc didn't have next generation accessibility, and wouldn't have any for months after the consoles launched.

What that means is that a great deal of the console owners that make up the huge player-base that the PS4 and Xbox One offer Rockstar when trying to sell their game is likely to transition very quickly to the next generation, much faster than they did in the previous generational switch. So although the PS4 may indeed be one of the best selling video game consoles of all time, it's sale numbers won't be representative of just how many gamers still use them when GTA VI launches and again this is assuming that we get information on the game tomorrow. Suffice it to say that the next generation consoles are much more likely to be the dominant platforms 18 months after their initial launches than the PS4 or Xbox One were.

But what if the transition is slow? What if those consoles still have a huge and active user-base at the time of GTA VI's launch? As improbable as that is Rockstar are still very, very unlikely to make GTA VI a current generation game, because historically they have ignored a console of similar sales figures to the PS4 in the Wii because it was not powerful enough to run the games that they wanted to make at an acceptable frame rate or resolution, GTA V would have been impossible to develop with all it's content the way it is if they had to consider the Wii as a primary console that they needed the game to be on. So despite the Wii being far and away the most successful console of that generation, Rockstar made almost no games for it, and almost every game they did make for it was merely a re-release of a title that was available on older consoles such as the PS2 or original XBOX. The key difference is that when making these decisions there was no factor as to whether or not the player-base on the Wii would shrink drastically over time, whereas now we know that within a year and especially after two the current generation of consoles will have less active players than the PS5 and Xbox Series X do. 

It's not just Rockstar that aren't making any more games for the PS4 or Xbox One either, there is practically no game that is exclusive to the PlayStation consoles that is coming out after The Last of Us Part: II or Ghost of Tsushima, both of those games were announced a long time ago and yet no newer titles have been scheduled to launch on the PS4, the same is true of any of the few Xbox One exclusive games and their respective stuidios, there are no other games in active development for this generation that haven't already been confirmed. Sony and Microsoft know this and all 3rd party developers know it too, that's why we have seen more new games announced for the PS5 and the Xbox Series X than we have for the current generation of consoles, because this generation will end very soon and it when it does they're expecting that people will buy the next generation machines very soon after.

Most games today are also developed with the longer-term profits of the title as the primary goal, gone are the days when a game's success was solely determined on how well it sold in it's first 24 - 48 hours. The "Games as a Service" model of development has become an increasingly common trend in the gaming industry and Rockstar's games are the gold standard of that ideology, GTA V was launched in September of 2013 people who were four years old at the time now probably make up half of this forums' traffic.Yet despite it's age it still regularly features in the Top 10 most sold games of any given month of the year, regularly competing with games half a decade younger or more than it. 

So in the standard scenario, wherein Rockstar wait until say the end of the year to make an announcement at best for GTA VI, they're likely to take over 18 months to get the game on store shelves, based on GTA V and RDR II's development cycles though it could be closer to two years, in that case we're looking at a late 2022 launch for the game, at which time the current generation of consoles will have very few active users and so won't be a priority for GTA VI to target. Period. How many cross-generation titles did we see coming out in late 2015/early 2016 for comparison -almost none and that's why GTA VI is very unlikely to launch on the current generation consoles.

• Like 11
MrBreak16

I made a topic exactly like that, but sadly it was locked...

Very good points thought!

• Like 1
Forza_GTA

announcement : first half 2020

release : first half 2021 on current gen + next gen with backward compatibility for those who sold their PS4 /One

and 2022 on next gen with the upgraded version

Edited by Forza_GTA
Secura

Yeah that's not happening, no games have been announced as exclusive to the current generation of consoles for months now, we're getting games like Godfall and Outriders, each have different platforms they're launching on, but neither are excluding the next generation consoles from their list of targeted consoles.

The chances Rockstar waits until the middle of 2022 to re-release a game that comes out in 2021 for games consoles that will be available before the end of 2020 is utterly ridiculous.

Forza_GTA
9 minutes ago, Secura said:

Yeah that's not happening, no games have been announced as exclusive to the current generation of consoles for months now, we're getting games like Godfall and Outriders, each have different platforms they're launching on, but neither are excluding the next generation consoles from their list of targeted consoles.

The chances Rockstar waits until the middle of 2022 to re-release a game that comes out in 2021 for games consoles that will be available before the end of 2020 is utterly ridiculous.

GTA 5

Forza_GTA
16 minutes ago, Secura said:

GTA 5 was released in September 2013 for PS3 and Xbox 360, in November 2014 for PS4 and Xbox One

MrBreak16

The real reason why they won’t put it on old gen is simply because they will be limited to the PS4 and Xbox One hardware. GTA V suffered the same problem, since it released on Ps3 and Xbox 360 first, they couldn’t use the Ps4 and Xbox One capacities fully, so we basically ended up with a game that was half of it’s potential, and I am sure R* won’t make that mistake again...

Edited by MrBreak16
  • Like 6
Secura
21 minutes ago, Forza_GTA said:

GTA 5 was released in September 2013 for PS3 and Xbox 360, in November 2014 for PS4 and Xbox One

GTA V was announced in October 2011, the PS4 was announced in February 2013, GTA V spent the vast majority of it's development being made with the 360 and PS3 as the primary consoles, by the time GTA VI is on shelves the PS5 and Xbox Series X will be over a year old. 

GTA V means nothing for those reasons.

• Like 5
ThatScarlett

I can see it releasing on the current generation and next. Developers tend not to go all in on next gen for the first two or three years, since not many people will have the said console.

• Like 1
Pedinhuh

GTA VI will most likely be released in current gen and rereleased a year or two later on the current platforms, even though from the development and creative points of view that was a mistake, reasons:

-Their tactic with V being released in last gen, then current gen and then PC proved to be incredibly profitable on the game sales alone, taking the microtransactions out of picture...The devs at R* and the players might not like this reality, but the shareholders loved it. Money talks.

-The architecture for both current consoles is very well known by now and the devs should have no issues working with it as long as the engine can handle it, which RAGE is very capable of doing...Barring some odd issues with RDR2 story mode regarding frame rates which led to them having to reduce the graphics on the consoles to compensate.

It's no secret to anyone that the current consoles are quite underpowered - Have been so since their release, but they are also quite versatile so I assume that R* devs can avoid what happened with RDR2.

-Assuming VI is released in 2021 on next gen, that would merely be months after the consoles releases - Not many people would have them yet by now, since they would be relatively expensive and most buyers would be wary of probable defective units, that didn't happen to a large extent with current gen though.

• Like 1
Buckcote

Its unbelievable so many people here thinks that VI will release for current gen. No need to explain anything its just unbelievable. Those people either have no idea about next gen cpu and SSDs or how ambitious VI is after RDR2. Rockstar probably got wet when they see Next Gen SSD and cpu power.

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Buckcote said:

Its unbelievable so many people here thinks that VI will release for current gen. No need to explain anything its just unbelievable. Those people either have no idea about next gen cpu and SSDs or how ambitious VI is after RDR2. Rockstar probably got wet when they see Next Gen SSD and cpu power.

Exactly, it's such utter nonsense, but people are entitled to their opinions I guess.

As I mentioned in another thread, since 2001, most new GTA major titles (numerical) followed PS console releases by 12-18 months. Was it ever stated as an alternate theory, if GTA V was primarily developed for PS4, then dumbed down? Probably nonsense, but who knows.

The idea to repeat the multi-gen situation which happened with V is nonsense. This game will trail PS5 by no more than 2 years, if not 1 year.

Bear in mind that they do get console development kits ahead of announcement and per NDA don't even mention it. Ditto for SONY also respecting the privacy of Rockstar.

PS2:

-March 4, 2000 JPN

-October 26, 2000 Global

GTA III Release Date:

-Scheduled October 3, 2001

-Actual October 22, 2001

PS3:

-November 11/17, 2006

GTA IV Release Date

-Scheduled October 16, 2007

-Actual April 29, 2008

PS4:

-November 15, 2013

GTA V PS4:

-November 18, 2014 (OG PS3 rl was 17/09/3013)

PS5:

-Q4 2020

GTA VI:

-Q4 2021/2022

Edited by CM1
  • Like 1
MrBreak16

Most peoples that say it will be on current gen either :

- Can’t afford a next gen console and in this case wants to have the game on current gen because they own a current gen console

or

- Think that next gen consoles aren’t as different as current gen/Don’t understand that the next gen consoles could open so much opportunities for the game/don’t understand anything about business

Edited by MrBreak16
  • Like 2
  • YEE 1
Detective Phelps

My PS4 would be louder than a space shuttle if GTA VI was on it...

I want the game to be PC and next gen only. This gen would only hold the game back, resulting in an inferior product. If GTA VI is on current gen, I'd be pissed. 

• Like 2
MrBreak16
3 minutes ago, Detective Phelps said:

My PS4 would be louder than a space shuttle if GTA VI was on it...

I want the game to be PC and next gen only. This gen would only hold the game back, resulting in an inferior product. If GTA VI is on current gen, I'd be pissed. 

My PS4 is starting to get old by now, I noticed some small issues and it starts to be slower and also my controller seems to break down more, meaning I have to do some maintenance on them a lot more now (Joystick that get stuck, button that glitch because of dirt, PS4 power button or eject button that get stuck, overheating due to dust, and some other problems that I couldn’t fix and had to find an alternative)

• Like 1
Forza_GTA
33 minutes ago, ChainLetter said:

PS4 and XBOX ONE won't be able to run it due to high System requirements.

only Rockstar decides on which console a game can be played

if GTA 6 was designed for this generation and it's the case of course then the game will run on current consoles

MyNameIsNotImportantBro
28 minutes ago, MrBreak16 said:

My PS4 is starting to get old by now, I noticed some small issues and it starts to be slower and also my controller seems to break down more

That's why I'm saving money for xbox series x

• Like 1
MrBreak16
16 minutes ago, Forza_GTA said:

only Rockstar decides on which console a game can be played

if GTA 6 was designed for this generation and it's the case of course then the game will run on current consoles

How are you so sure about that?

Forza_GTA
On 4/3/2020 at 11:04 PM, MrBreak16 said:

Most peoples that say it will be on current gen either :

/don’t understand anything about business

it's the opposite all people who understand something about business know they will do it again like gta 5

MrBreak16
2 minutes ago, Forza_GTA said:

it's the opposite all people who understand something about business know they will do it again like gta 5

Sorry to tell you that but...

That’s not how business work...

Forza_GTA
37 minutes ago, MrBreak16 said:

How are you so sure about that?

maybe because Dan Houser was on break at Rockstar since spring 2019 ?

when we know his level of implication, that GTA is his baby and that it was his last game I don't need to know more to be 100% sure that
 it means that the right things have been done

and this is impossible if the game should be released at the end of 2022 or 2023, it is too far

Edited by Forza_GTA
MrBreak16
Just now, Forza_GTA said:

maybe because Dan Houser was on break at Rockstar since spring 2019

when we know his level of implication, that GTA is his baby and that it was his last game I don't need to know more to be 100% sure that
 it means that the right things have been done it means that those who were to do was done

and this is impossible if the game should be released at the end of 2022 or 2023, it is too far

2022 or 2023 is totally possible and is pretty logical too

• Like 1
Detective Phelps
29 minutes ago, Forza_GTA said:

So one of the most ambitious developers on the planet will let themselves be limited by inferior 2013 hardware to create GTA 5 2.0?

No way. If this game is current gen, I know that I wouldn't be the only person that would be extremely disappointed. GTA 5 was limited by the same issue, and it was a shell of a game compared to what it could have been... 

The game R* made for this gen is RDR2, which is an amazing game, but I see R* wanting to one up themselves with their next project. A game with a detailed world, a bigger world, but also a world with more to do. Current gen just isn't good enough for that, I'm afraid. I can see the COVID-19 situation affecting the economy in the sense that not as many people would be willing to fork 300-500$ for a console this holiday season, but the consoles will come out and there will be enough people with the money to get them, especially in a year or two.

Also 2022 is indeed a realistic time frame to expect GTA VI. I'm also frustrated by how we only got 1 new R* game this gen (RDR2; GTA V is a previous gen game with a curent gen remaster). As games get bigger in size and scope, R* will take longer to make their games. Quality > quantity (excluding the microtransaction bullsh*t).

• Like 2
MrBreak16
10 minutes ago, Detective Phelps said:

So one of the most ambitious developers on the planet will let themselves be limited by inferior 2013 hardware to create GTA 5 2.0?

No way. If this game is current gen, I know that I wouldn't be the only person that would be extremely disappointed. GTA 5 was limited by the same issue, and it was a shell of a game compared to what it could have been... 

The game R* made for this gen is RDR2, which is an amazing game, but I see R* wanting to one up themselves with their next project. A game with a detailed world, a bigger world, but also a world with more to do. Current gen just isn't good enough for that, I'm afraid. I can see the COVID-19 situation affecting the economy in the sense that not as many people would be willing to fork 300-500$ for a console this holiday season, but the consoles will come out and there will be enough people with the money to get them, especially in a year or two.

Also 2022 is indeed a realistic time frame to expect GTA VI. I'm also frustrated by how we only got 1 new R* game this gen (RDR2; GTA V is a previous gen game with a curent gen remaster). As games get bigger in size and scope, R* will take longer to make their games. Quality > quantity (excluding the microtransaction bullsh*t).

Even with RDRII, Take-Two CEO, Strauss Zelnick said :

“The purpose of the delay for Red Dead Redemption 2 is to make sure we deliver the most extraordinary we’re capable of providing. We are building a new game from the ground up for the first time for new-generation consoles. And the pressure that we put on ourselves to deliver excellence and to delight consumers is extraordinary."

He also said

We want to make sure that the appropriate time is taken to do the very best job we can and that’s what consumers expect of Rockstar Games and that’s what Rockstar Games typically delivers. So we support emphatically the label’s decision and we are utterly confident that it will prove in time to be wise first and foremost creatively and artistically, economically as well.”

Would be stupid to still think they want to make GTA VI on current gen after he literally said : "We want to do our very best job to make the most extraordinary we are capable of making for our consumers"....

Edited by MrBreak16
Liberty-TG

... because seven years after V release they didn't release a GTA (THEY SHOULD!!!), so it's too late for PS4 or Xbox One (no information/trailer yet!!!) 

• Like 2
Secura

FYI they wont be able to make a new version for next generation consoles 

They're backwards compatible, so if it's on the PS4 it'll be playable on PS5.

Forza_GTA
12 minutes ago, Secura said:

FYI they wont be able to make a new version for next generation consoles 

They're backwards compatible, so if it's on the PS4 it'll be playable on PS5.

yes it's sure the PS5 version will not have any upgrade from the PS4 version

Edited by Forza_GTA