1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why Vice City WORKS in modern times(my arguments)

The Made Man

Yes I agree that it works. But the charm of Vice city wasn't Miami alone. The Era was as important if not more. If VI is set in modern times there are far better options than Vice. But like I said yes I agree with you.

• Like 3

If the location is Vice City I can definitely see the Angels of Death and probably even the Spanish Lords returning. 

• Like 3

MyNameIsNotImportantBro
5 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

Angels of Death and probably even the Spanish Lords returning. 

It doesn't fit if VI is set in colombia or mexico

Just now, OmarMohammed said:

It doesn't fit if VI is set in colombia or mexico

Not sure what you mean exactly? I said if the game is in VC. And if Project Americas is true then VC will be the main location. 

• Like 2

MyNameIsNotImportantBro
Just now, The Made Man said:

Not sure what you mean exactly? I said if the game is in VC. And if Project Americas is true then VC will be the main location. 

oh ok, I was just trying to say that if VI is set in Colombia and Mexico, The gangs will not fit in these kind of locations

3 minutes ago, OmarMohammed said:

oh ok, I was just trying to say that if VI is set in Colombia and Mexico, The gangs will not fit in these kind of locations

Well Colombia and Mexico will never be locations by themselves. Anyways the AOD were said to have theme parks in Florida on their GTA IV website. As for the Spanish Lords? The Latin Kings who they are based on are bigger in Miami/Southern Florida today than they are in NYC(almost extinct). A strong chance of them returning IF VC is the location.

Oh and speaking of 1% Bikers... Florida is teeming with them even down in the Key Wests which is near Miami.

Edited by The Made Man
  • Like 2

Here is how I see the breakdown of gangs/criminal organizations in the game(just bored af). 

Sunny Isles(if included) would have organized Russian gangsters.

Little Havana would have organized Cuban gangsters. 

Key Wests would have 1% Biker gangs maybe the AOD.

Liberty City/North Miami would have those violent Black-American/Bahamian streets gangs. 

Little Haiti would have Haitian gangsters and street gangs. 

The everglades would have crazy redneck goons like seen in V.

Homestead/Broward(if included) would have Hispanic street gangs like Spanish Lords.

Star Island would have Cartel cells living in mansions.  

• Like 4

MyNameIsNotImportantBro
8 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

Star Island would have Cartel cells living in mansions.  

R.I.P Tommy Vercetti

Oh my gosh, I can't believe the notions some people have that actually believe LA and Miami are alike. I can't possibly break it down any better than has already been done in the last several pages, but they are VASTLY different, both in ways that can and CAN'T be seen. I've never lived in either one, but I have spent a lot of time in both. They are like entirely different worlds. 

As for people saying they are the same because of certain points (they are coastal, have highrises, have beaches, etc.) you are totally missing the point of the major characteristics that set these places apart. Miami's entire culture and personality for many revolves around it's party/nightlife scene, as well as it's Latin American/Spanish culture. These are just some of the things that make Miami what it is. Los Angeles is known mostly for it's place in the history of entertainment, Hollywood obviously being the centerpiece of that fascination. LA has a lot of culture as well, especially Spanish, but that's probably not the first thing people think of when they think of LA or SoCal in general. And yes LA has nightlife and clubs, but it's actually surprisingly tame for such a large city. Many clubs in LA don't even stay open past 3 am because of local laws, whereas in Miami, it's common for parties to last all through the night and move from club to club, and house to house. 

Climate was pointed out several times, but I think it has to be said again. They are VERY different. Miami (and pretty much all of Florida) is really humid, and REALLY HOT. You can walk outside in the middle of January and be drenched in sweat in moments. Los Angeles has a Mediterranean climate, and is actually not that hot at all, and definitely not humid. I remember being shocked the first time I went there at how common it was for people to throw on a light jacket in the evening, even in the summer. 

Geographically, they are incredibly different. Miami is flat, surrounded by water, bordered by swamps, and is highly prone to hurricanes and tropical storms. LA is very sprawling, is set in the desert, but surrounded by mountains, has a ton of hills, and it's most frequent natural disasters are wildfires and earthquakes. 

I could probably go on for 20 paragraphs but I will never be able to make a better argument than @The Made Man has, and I wouldn't even want to try lol. I'm just convinced at this point that anyone that doesn't see the vast differences, does so because they refuse to. Hell, I've seen people say ALL American cities look the same, which is so ignorant I can't even be bothered to argue against it. But the point is, there are dozens if not hundreds of major differences between these two cities that we can see. And just as many more that we can't see, but that inform their personalities, culture, and character. I firmly believe that while the location is not the most important aspect of a game, a great location that is recreated with passion ends up being as much a supporting character as the actors themselves. And for that reason, I have to say that LA and Miami are like two actors auditioning for a role, that have some similar qualities, but who also have extremely different personalities, backgrounds, histories, and stories to tell. 

If we are going to say LA and Miami are the same, we might as well say NYC and Dallas are the same as well. Ugh, I can't even deal with these fools. /rant 😄

Edited by King Vercetti

13 minutes ago, King Vercetti said:

Oh my gosh, I can't believe the notions some people have that actually believe LA and Miami are alike. I can't possibly break it down any better than has already been done in the last several pages, but they are VASTLY different, both in ways that can and CAN'T be seen. I've never lived in either one, but I have spent a lot of time in both. They are like entirely different worlds. 

As for people saying they are the same because of certain points (they are coastal, have highrises, have beaches, etc.) you are totally missing the point of the major characteristics that set these places apart. Miami's entire culture and personality for many revolves around it's party/nightlife scene, as well as it's Latin American/Spanish culture. These are just some of the things that make Miami what it is. Los Angeles is known mostly for it's place in the history of entertainment, Hollywood obviously being the centerpiece of that fascination. LA has a lot of culture as well, especially Spanish, but that's probably not the first thing people think of when they think of LA or SoCal in general. And yes LA has nightlife and clubs, but it's actually surprisingly tame for such a large city. Many clubs in LA don't even stay open past 3 am because of local laws, whereas in Miami, it's common for parties to last all through the night and move from club to club, and house to house. 

Climate was pointed out several times, but I think it has to be said again. They are VERY different. Miami (and pretty much all of Florida) is really humid, and REALLY HOT. You can walk outside in the middle of January and be drenched in sweat in moments. Los Angeles has a Mediterranean climate, and is actually not that hot at all, and definitely not humid. I remember being shocked the first time I went there at how common it was for people to throw on a light jacket in the evening, even in the summer. 

Geographically, they are incredibly different. Miami is flat, surrounded by water, bordered by swamps, and is highly prone to hurricanes and tropical storms. LA is very sprawling, is set in the desert, but surrounded by mountains, has a ton of hills, and it's most frequent natural disasters are wildfires and earthquakes. 

I could probably go on for 20 paragraphs but I will never be able to make a better argument than @The Made Man has, and I wouldn't even want to try lol. I'm just convinced at this point that anyone that doesn't see the vast differences, does so because they refuse to. Hell, I've seen people say ALL American cities look the same, which is so ignorant I can't even be bothered to argue against it. But the point is, there are dozens if not hundreds of major differences between these two cities that we can see. And just as many more that we can't see, but that inform their personalities, culture, and character. I firmly believe that while the location is not the most important aspect of a game, a great location that is recreated with passion ends up being as much a supporting character as the actors themselves. And for that reason, I have to say that LA and Miami are like two actors auditioning for a role, that have some similar personality traits, who also have extremely different personalities, backgrounds, histories, and stories to tell. 

If we are going to say LA and Miami are the same, we might as well say NYC and Dallas are the same as well. Ugh, I can't even deal with these fools. /rant 😄

Thanks! And very well constructed post! And yea it seems like people have haven't spent enough time in EITHER believe the two are exactly the same. Also don't forget that Miami is MORE URBAN than LA with more highrises/skylines. LA outside of the downtown area doesn't have highrises like that. In fact LA is known for its very small downtown! Not only that you can tell Miami highrises have Latin American influence. 

Edit: Feel free to post pics. I lost most my Miami pics smdh.

Edited by The Made Man
  • Like 1

@The Made Man Thanks man! For real, the differences are staggering. I remember the first time I was in Downtown LA, thinking "this is it?!" It't very small, and seems to be shrinking all the time. Architecture is definitely different like you said too. A lot of LA homes have Spanish revival architecture and facades, Miami has Latin American inspired design, and of course Art Deco. 

The worst neighborhoods in LA are a lot cleaner and frankly safer than ever before, and nothing like we saw in the 90's/west coast gangster rap days. The worst neighborhoods in Miami, I would honestly not want to go near even in broad daylight. And I've been through some rough areas in my time. But Liberty City, Hialeah, Little Haiti, Opa Locka? No thanks. I would rather jump in front of a speeding train than set foot in those war zones. (which makes them a hell of a setting for GTA!)

Edited by King Vercetti
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, King Vercetti said:

@The Made Man Thanks man! For real, the differences are staggering. I remember the first time I was in Downtown LA, thinking "this is it?!" It't very small, and seems to be shrinking all the time. Architecture is definitely different like you said too. A lot of LA homes have Spanish revival architecture and facades, Miami has Latin American inspired design, and of course Art Deco. 

Yea Miami looks like a metropolis that was dumped in the tropics which it was. Meanwhile LA looks like a GIANT ass suburb. And, yes as someone who has been to South America(good ole Colombia) I can see the CLEAR South American influence on Miami architecture. South America especially Colombia LOVE repeat LOVE their highrises lol. I'll try and post pics/videos later. 

But yea LA homes have a Spain/Mediterranean Europeanish influence.

5 minutes ago, King Vercetti said:

The worst neighborhoods in LA are a lot cleaner and frankly safer than ever before, and nothing like we saw in the 90's/west coast gangster rap days. The worst neighborhoods in Miami, I would honestly not want to go near even in broad daylight. And I've been through some rough areas in my time. But Liberty City, Hialeah, Little Haiti, Opa Locka? No thanks. I would rather jump in front of a speeding train than set foot in those war zones. (which makes them a hell of a setting for GTA!)

Yep. Miami is more dangerous than LA especially if we exclude Compton(which is really its own city). And yea I keep saying that Miami hoods look "third world" and very similar to Caribbean hoods especially those small ass houses they have and those back roads. LA/LS hoods look NOTHING like them. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

Oh you thought the drug kingpins were gone? Nope...

Drug money fuels that city.

I'm loving the videos too, I just watched the one about the guy smuggling weed in through the everglades lmao (Seriously there is SO MUCH Rockstar could do with Southern Florida, it's crazy.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, King Vercetti said:

I'm loving the videos too, I just watched the one about the guy smuggling weed in through the everglades lmao (Seriously there is SO MUCH Rockstar could do with Southern Florida, it's crazy.)

Man R* can do a lot of crazy ass sh*t from the everglades. From hunting to drug smuggling. Also in Florida today hunting/fishing is HUGE almost a cultural thing especially in southern Florida/Miami-Dade county. I have friends in Miami-Dade who hunt gators and fish A LOT. lol. Imagine going from the buzzling city of VC to the gritty and wild everglades.

• Like 2

MyNameIsNotImportantBro

Btw, In this year there was a bank heist at Florida, So 100% could work

Edited by OmarMohammed
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I think this needs reviving. Great topic.

I'd prefer a return to Vice City in a past setting. My preference is 1989/1990 when the colours are fading and the power structure is shifting from Colombia to Mexico.

That said, I firmly believe the soundtrack really shapes the game, and if there were a number of good 80s station in a modern VC then I think they could still pull of the vibe and capture the past at the same time.

5 hours ago, Patrizio said:

That said, I firmly believe the soundtrack really shapes the game, and if there were a number of good 80s station in a modern VC then I think they could still pull of the vibe and capture the past at the same time.

Something like this could work.

Edited by Zello

On 7/14/2020 at 8:22 PM, Zello said:

Something like this could work.

Some real 80s vibes here.

I'd prefer an 80s GTA, 1989, as I think you do to. But if they have to do in the modern, they can still lots of 80s infuenced modern music to capture that Vice City vibe.

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

Why can’t we have more threads like this over the usual sh*tposts?

Because they take effort and intelligence?