Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. Los Santos Tuners
      2. Updates
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Blood Money
      2. Frontier Pursuits
      3. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      4. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

      1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

Why Vice City WORKS in modern times(my arguments)


The Made Man
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Gtaman_92 said:

Why not have it set in both the 80’s and the modern era? The majority of RDR 2 was in 1899 and the epilogue was in 1907. R* could easily set the first half of GTA VI in 80’s VC and then the latter half in present day VC.

 

I think this may end up happening, Rockstar played with multiple time frames in both GTA V and RDR2.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, MrBreak16 said:

@Dark Rosewood Varnish, as many have said, you haven't given us any backup for you reasonings, apart from saying that GTA V is the worst game in the series, which is after all an opinion, and not a fact

 

DUDE

 

Can you seriously just leave me alone. You've been following me around the forum trying to get my attention for months and months now, can you seriously just not take the hint that I don't want to engage, debate or exchange any kinds of communication with you what so ever.

 

Seriously stop quoting and mentioning me I already made it clear that I have no interest in replying to the childish nonsense you frequently post weeks ago:

 

On 1/26/2020 at 3:42 PM, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

 

1. Murder and senseless killing are pretty much synonymous with Grand Theft Auto games - I'm perplexed as to why you would even make such a bizarre statement.

 

2. My statement about the murder rate in Chicago during the 70's was to support the notion of Chicago being a great setting for GTA game as it's rife with crime, murder, drugs and gangs - which ultimately is what Grand Theft Auto revolves around. 

 

3. You really are an idiot - please stop following me around the forum trying to get my attention. Congratulations on getting me to quote you on this occasion, but this will be the last time I ever reply to you on here. Good day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

 

DUDE

 

Can you seriously just leave me alone. You've been following me around the forum trying to get my attention for months and months now, can you seriously just not take the hint that I don't want to engage, debate or exchange any kinds of communication with you what so ever.

 

Seriously stop quoting and mentioning me I already made it clear that I have no interest in replying to the childish nonsense you frequently post weeks ago:

 

 

I don't even get why you complain :

 

First of all, I am not following you everywhere, I am part of all of all of this time periods debate, like everyone else, and I am far from being the only replying to your comments, If you seriously think I am the only person that reply to you out of all of the dozens of peoples that replied to you, then I don't know what to tell you.

 

Second of all, you tell me to stop quoting you and mentioning you, when you are literally doing that yourself. @DexMacLeod already said how he wanted you to stop quoting him (also DexMacLeod, if you see this, sorry for mentioning you) You are acting so selfish... 

 

And last, saying I throw childish nonsense, when you are literally the one making irrational debates, deforming what other peoples said and making stupid conclusions, you should probably go back and read your posts before complaining on me, you are probably the most irrational and most selfish person I met here. If this makes you feel better, I won't reply to you or mention you no more, but next time you talk sh*t about me, when you are literally doing the same thing, I won't take it lightly...

Edited by MrBreak16
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm all for modern, my only problem with Vice City is the relentlessly flat terrain. My main hopes for the next game is that driving takes another big leap forward and that cars and car culture play a more significant role in the story. It'd be a shame if they finally did that but gave us such a boring  playground (driving-wise) to play in. I don't want to have to rely on silly stunt tracks for roads with interesting elevation changes.

 

28 minutes ago, MrBreak16 said:

Second of all, you tell me to stop quoting you and mentioning me, when you are literally doing that yourself. @DexMacLeod already said how he wanted you to stop quoting him (also DexMacLeod, if you see this, sorry for mentioning you) You are acting so selfish... 

No problem. I don't mind being mentioned, for the most part. Varnish just kept doing it for no reason other than to tell other people that I didn't "understand" their points when, in actuality, I just had a differing opinion. And it typically included deliberate misinterpretations of things I'd said or just flat out lies.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, VercettiGuy said:

Doesn't matter if it would work, I don't want it. I want it in the 80s.

Rockstar has already done 80's VC, they most likely won't do it again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they could pull 2 time settings off, it would be great actually. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

 

DUDE

 

Can you seriously just leave me alone. You've been following me around the forum trying to get my attention for months and months now, can you seriously just not take the hint that I don't want to engage, debate or exchange any kinds of communication with you what so ever.

 

Seriously stop quoting and mentioning me I already made it clear that I have no interest in replying to the childish nonsense you frequently post weeks ago:

 

 

This is a public forum. You came in this thread calling most of the arguments "preposterous" without ever even elaborating. 

3 hours ago, VercettiGuy said:

Doesn't matter if it would work, I don't want it. I want it in the 80s.

We already moved on from the 80s. Just like Los Santos moved on from the 90s. The 80s were done twice in VC and VCS..

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

This is a public forum. You came in this thread calling most of the arguments "preposterous" without ever even elaborating. 

We already moved on from the 80s. Just like Los Santos moved on from the 90s. The 80s were done twice in VC and VCS..

 

What do you expect? Using electronic music festivals as one of your reasons for a Vice City/Miami setting in a GRAND THEFT AUTO game is not only preposterous, it's down right bizarre.

 

Also stop caping for that other guy I called out, he's been issued numerous warnings about his conduct on these boards.

Edited by Dark Rosewood Varnish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

 

What do you expect? Using electronic music festivals as one of your reasons for a Vice City/Miami setting in a GRAND THEFT AUTO game is not only preposterous, it's down right bizarre.

And like I already told you in a post(which you ignored)  music festivals wasn't my main point  if you read the OP but it was to show how vastly different and unique current Miami is from not just 1980s Miami but also LA and NYC culturally. So yes it is relevant but more importantly you skipped over most of the OP to focus on just that one. 

Edited 9 hours ago by The Made Man

 

 

6 minutes ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

 

Also stop caping for that other guy I called out, he's been issued numerous warnings about his conduct on these boards.

Has nothing to do with "caping." You seem like a bigger opponent of modern Vice City/Miami I'm just waiting for you address the majority of the OP(not just music festivals) and explain why exactly a modern Vice City won't work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

We already moved on from the 80s. Just like Los Santos moved on from the 90s. The 80s were done twice in VC and VCS..

So, what? 

 

I'd like to take some steps back after the absolute futuristic sh*tshow GTAO turned out to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, VercettiGuy said:

So, what? 

 

I'd like to take some steps back after the absolute futuristic sh*tshow GTAO turned out to be.

And what exactly does GTA online have to do with anything? More importantly what new stories are you really bringing with Vice City back in the 80s?

Edited by The Made Man
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

 

You are free to list them as you please...

You are the one who the burden of proof falls on first since you speak in definite phrases.... and ii'll be patiently waiting

 

in the meantime im gonna copy and paste my argument from 2015 (if its ok with the OP) as it ironically still applies

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

And what exactly does GTA online have to do with anything? More importantly what new stories are you really bringing with Vice City back in the 80s?

GTAO killed any interest of mine in a modern setting. I enjoy to play games with less technology and if VI takes place in modern times online is probably what it will be like.

 

Stories? That Americas leak sounded pretty interesting already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

The 80s were done twice in VC and VCS..

I want Vice City in 1989 when the 80s are coming to a close and the colors are fading away.

 

iMJ5dBM.jpg?1

 

1984

 

 

ZtSnSld.jpg

 

1989

Edited by Zello
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

And like I already told you in a post(which you ignored)  music festivals wasn't my main point  if you read the OP but it was to show how vastly different and unique current Miami is from not just 1980s Miami but also LA and NYC culturally. So yes it is relevant but more importantly you skipped over most of the OP to focus on just that one. 

Edited 9 hours ago by The Made Man

 

 

Has nothing to do with "caping." You seem like a bigger opponent of modern Vice City/Miami I'm just waiting for you address the majority of the OP(not just music festivals) and explain why exactly a modern Vice City won't work.

 

Because the three paragraphs about electronic music festivals, night life and partying were clearly the centrepiece of your OP and what you care about the most. You opened up with 3 paragraphs about things that are more suited to a dance simulator game than Grand Theft Auto. How am I meant to be convinced that a Grand Theft Auto game solely set in modern day Miami will be good because of night life, dance festivals and pixelated women? 

 

As I explained in my thread modern day Miami is fairly bland and doesnt offer much outside of nightlife and beautiful women....which is probably why you placed so much importance on those things in your OP. Yeah theres the hood, Liberty City etc. but theres a hood in every major American city that suffers the same problems so I don't really see whats so unique there. 

 

Also I actually said in a post I'd be open to a modern day Miami/Vice City but only if there was multiple time settings and that it was part of a reimagined state of Florida including smaller cities based on other locations in Florida. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mister Pink said:

It's weird, do you think people in the 80's were missing clothes of the future that didn't exist yet? There were plenty of weapons, cars, clothes. Nothing is going to be restricted. Technically, if Rockstar wanted to, they can make more options of clothing in an 80's GTA VI than in a modern GTA V. You might not get current styles but you can certainly get as much and if not, more choices of clothes. It's just a matter of including more variations. So the choice, isn't clear.

I'm gonna cherry pick here not really a strong argument but a lot of the modern clothing we have today came from the 80s. 

 

kDQxspB.jpg

 

I'm not much of a sneakerhead but the Air Jordan I came out in 1985.  In fact the first four Jordans came out between 1985-1989 and they are still widely used and popular today.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Zello said:

I want Vice City in 1989 when the 80s are coming to a close and the colors are fading away.

 

iMJ5dBM.jpg?1

 

1984

 

 

ZtSnSld.jpg

 

1989

Wasn't 1984 addressed in VCS? Just saying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Made Man said:

Wasn't 1984 addressed in VCS? Just saying.

I used that as an example to show the differences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know it's not meant to be a big deal but I think the music festival thing is a valid point. It adds a new and unique atmosphere/vibe to a portion of the game, which is one of the more popular reasons for wanting to go back in time.

 

GTA V has two outdoor theatre/concert venues that just sit empty all the time. It's hard to go there and not wonder what it'd be like if they actually got used. It's far from a preposterous idea, at least. I mean, some people act like it's just awful that we haven't had a mall to walk around and shop in since Vice City and a fully functioning Disneyland knockoff is a pretty popular wishlist item.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, JStarr31 said:

You are the one who the burden of proof falls on first since you speak in definite phrases.... and ii'll be patiently waiting

 

in the meantime im gonna copy and paste my argument from 2015 (if its ok with the OP) as it ironically still applies

 

So I ask you to list them and you become defensive? Seriously if you can list them then list them....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

 

Because the three paragraphs about electronic music festivals, night life and partying were clearly the centrepiece of your OP and what you care about the most. You opened up with 3 paragraphs about things that are more suited to a dance simulator game than Grand Theft Auto. How am I meant to be convinced that a Grand Theft Auto game solely set in modern day Miami will be good because of night life, dance festivals and pixelated women? 

No the heck it wasn;t the centerpiece lol. Again you are showing that you skimmed through. But anyways let me tackle this nonetheless. Like I said again(making this a third), musical festivals are relevant because it shows that Miami is culturally different from LA and NYC, even 80s Miami. If a GTA game was set in New Orleans you bet those New Orleanian festivals would have a play in the storyline. But that's not the point but is those are what make Miami unique. Since many people claim modern Miami is irrelevant which is laughable. 

 

Like I said you skimmed through the OP and did not bother to read till the end. You ignored that I pointed out that there are MORE repeat MORE drugs flowing into Miami than the 80s and that cocaine production is at an all time high. You also ignored that the underworld in Miami is much more diverse now than in the 80s with Miami being a human trafficking hotspot in the USA. 

 

As for this "simulator" talk, GTA has become a real life simulator since IV. And what are you talking about my guy? Nightclubs have been apart of GTA since Vice City, nightclubs which you can OWN which fits right into GTA especially a GTA in modern Vice City since many of the nightclubs there are owned by shady groups. Your probably is that you're not connecting the dots. The beginning paragraphs of my OP were only highlight the CULTURE of modern day Miami. And how it debunks the idea that modern Miami is "irrelevant" when Miami is essentially a vacation and party mecca of the USA. 

 

 

Quote

As I explained in my thread modern day Miami is fairly bland and doesnt offer much outside of nightlife and beautiful women....which is probably why you placed so much importance on those things in your OP.

Talking like someone who has never set foot in Miami. LMAO!!! How the f*ck is Miami "bland." Like what the hell? You mean the place that is the tourist capital of the USA? And you got damn bet I highlighted those things because they are what make Miami UNIQUE! Once again you are not even grasping arguments and once again you only skimmed through the OP. 

 

I also mentioned how Miami is culturally unique being that its an extension of Latin America with many people being foriegn born and thus a heavy Latin/Caribbean culture that makes it different from NYC/LA and how it feels like you're in Latin America. Once again talking like someone who has never been to Miami. I also mentioned the diverse types of organized crime that takes place in the city and how the city is STILL a drug hot spot with more drugs flowing in than from the 80s.

 

Seriously, what are you even arguing?? What is NOT bland??? 

 

 

Quote

 

Yeah theres the hood, Liberty City etc. but theres a hood in every major American city that suffers the same problems so I don't really see whats so unique there. 

Now are those hoods international cities with a unique culture? Some of the most violent cities like New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit, St Louis, etc are NOT. Miami on the other hand is an interntional city with unique culture meanwhile with violent crime a perfect blend. 

 

 

Quote

 

Also I actually said in a post I'd be open to a modern day Miami/Vice City but only if there was multiple time settings and that it was part of a reimagined state of Florida including smaller cities based on other locations in Florida. 

Then....... What are you even arguing about? 

19 minutes ago, Zello said:

I'm gonna cherry pick here. A lot of the modern clothing we have today came from the 80s. 

 

kDQxspB.jpg

 

I'm not much of a sneakerhead but the Air Jordan I came out in 1985.  In fact the first four Jordans came out between 1985-1989 and they are still widely used and popular today.

 

Gonna be honest this post fairly good post when it comes to those supporting a past setting. The urban culture has hardly been addressed in the 80s when it comes to video games. But you can still get retro Jordans today.

4 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

I know it's not meant to be a big deal but I think the music festival thing is a valid point. It adds a new and unique atmosphere/vibe to a portion of the game, which is one of the more popular reasons for wanting to go back in time.

 

GTA V has two outdoor theatre/concert venues that just sit empty all the time. It's hard to go there and not wonder what it'd be like if they actually got used. It's far from a preposterous idea, at least. I mean, some people act like it's just awful that we haven't had a mall to walk around and shop in since Vice City and a fully functioning Disneyland knockoff is a pretty popular wishlist item.

 

Exactly. My main point with it was that it dismisses the idea that modern Miami is "irrelevant." Miami is seen as a party city almost like New Orleans. That separates it culturally from LA who some here try to compare to.

Edited by The Made Man
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miami and "bland" should never be in the same sentence. 

 

Yes, I know street racing has appeared in many GTA games but point is this is just one of the few degenerate cultural elements apart of modern day Miami. Also like one Miami local said before downtown Miami is MUCH bigger now(it is.... It even has a railway system) and neon lights are still there. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

No the heck it wasn;t the centerpiece lol. Again you are showing that you skimmed through. But anyways let me tackle this nonetheless. Like I said again(making this a third), musical festivals are relevant because it shows that Miami is culturally different from LA and NYC, even 80s Miami. If a GTA game was set in New Orleans you bet those New Orleanian festivals would have a play in the storyline. But that's not the point but is those are what make Miami unique. Since many people claim modern Miami is irrelevant which is laughable. 

 

Like I said you skimmed through the OP and did not bother to read till the end. You ignored that I pointed out that there are MORE repeat MORE drugs flowing into Miami than the 80s and that cocaine production is at an all time high. You also ignored that the underworld in Miami is much more diverse now than in the 80s with Miami being a human trafficking hotspot in the USA. 

 

As for this "simulator" talk, GTA has become a real life simulator since IV. And what are you talking about my guy? Nightclubs have been apart of GTA since Vice City, nightclubs which you can OWN which fits right into GTA especially a GTA in modern Vice City since many of the nightclubs there are owned by shady groups. Your probably is that you're not connecting the dots. The beginning paragraphs of my OP were only highlight the CULTURE of modern day Miami.

 

 

Talking like someone who has never set foot in Miami. LMAO!!! How the f*ck is Miami "bland." Like what the hell? You mean the place that is the tourist capital of the USA? And you got damn bet I highlighted those things because they are what make Miami UNIQUE! Once again you are not even grasping arguments and once again you only skimmed through the OP. 

 

I also mentioned how Miami is culturally unique being that its an extension of Latin America with many people being foriegn born and thus a heavy Latin/Caribbean culture that makes it different from NYC/LA and how it feels like you're in Latin America. Once again talking like someone who has never been to Miami. I also mentioned the diverse types of organized crime that takes place in the city and how the city is STILL a drug hot spot with more drugs flowing in than from the 80s.

 

Seriously, what are you even arguing?? What is NOT bland??? 

 

 

Now are those hoods international cities with a unique culture? Some of the most violent cities like New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit, St Louis, etc are NOT. Miami on the other hand is an interntional city with unique culture meanwhile with violent crime a perfect blend. 

 

 

Then....... What are you even arguing about? 

 

I read through your OP in it's entirety. I understand you put a lot of time and effort into it and want it to be well received, but I personally just wasnt enthralled by it. Dont take offence though not everyone is going to see things the same as you. You strike me as someone who is very passionate about Miami, it's hoods and it's nightlife but for me personally I just don't see the appeal.

 

The Miami you present is one we've seen time and time again though movies, music videos and other forms of mainstream media - it's like you want GTA VI to be an interactive Rick Ross music video lol. It's plastic and generic....which was arguable what GTA V's problem was. The last thing I'd want is for Grand Theft Auto Six to waste itself on being something generic when theres so much more opportunity and ground out there that they haven't covered. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I'd only want modern day Miami if we got a Kimbo Slice protagonist.

Edited by Zello
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

 

I read through your OP in it's entirety. I understand you put a lot of time and effort into it and want it to be well received, but I personally just wasnt enthralled by it. Dont take offence though not everyone is going to see things the same as you. You strike me as someone who is very passionate about Miami, it's hoods and it's nightlife but for me personally I just don't see the appeal.

Thanks but you don't have to agree but only focusing on festivals made me think you not bother reading it entirely. I only used Miami's party/vacation culture as a start off to different key reasons. If modern Miami doesn't appeal to you then cool. But there are many cultural elements that need to be noted that makes it unique for a GTA game. Rockstar artists do not ignore the culture of a city when it comes to preparing for the next GTA location. Calling Miami "bland" is what I passionately disagree. 

 

1 minute ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

 

The Miami you present is one we've seen time and time again though movies, music videos and other forms of mainstream media - it's like you want GTA VI to be an interactive Rick Ross music video lol. It's plastic and generic....which was arguable what GTA V's problem was. The last thing I'd want is for Grand Theft Auto Six to waste itself on being something generic when theres so much more opportunity and ground out there that they haven't covered. 

First of all America in general is very plastic. And Rick Ross music videos are not a good enough judging of the city. As for the bolded what about Miami's strong Latin/Caribbean culture? We have not seen that hardly in films or music videos(you can correct me) and we definitely have not seen that in GTA 5. I'm talking about half the population speaking Spanish. I understand that many of us were annoyed with GTA 5 but events are constantly changing. A LOT has changed since 2013. 

 

But I'm going to be fair. What do YOU feel Rockstar should do new? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

11 minutes ago, The Made Man said:

Also like one Miami local said before downtown Miami is MUCH bigger now(it is.... It even has a railway system) and neon lights are still there.

Miami always had a railway.. called The Metro... we actually have 3.. The Miami Metro, Metro Mover (downtown only), and the Tri-Rail that goes through the 3 main counties of Dade, Broward and Palm Beach.... all 3 connect (obviously)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.