3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

John Marston's Hair

ThomasTrain777

Tested it with a texture obtained from a ripped version of the model. Would be ideal to be able to also edit the vanilla texture with the other hairline.

06cbfe6152.png

2eef674c44.png

7 hours ago, Jax765 said:

Tested it with a texture obtained from a ripped version of the model. Would be ideal to be able to also edit the vanilla texture with the other hairline.

06cbfe6152.png

2eef674c44.png

Amazing! Now all we need is his RDR hair and a gray recolor of the gunslinger vest.

15 hours ago, GuiCORLEONEx794 said:

i'm pretty sure RDR1 was the same thing, an unauthorized port made for pc.

Nope, it was just a texture pack for the emulated console version.

GuiCORLEONEx794
11 hours ago, Jax765 said:

06cbfe6152.png

2eef674c44.png

You won't be able to use that texture because its too bright, you need to edit this texture.

cs_johnmarston_ms1_head_000_c0_000_ab.jp 

Also, that dark beard texture won't look good ingame, i know because i tried myself some custom beard textures very close to rdr1, but it ends up looking like a face paint and not like a beard. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, GuiCORLEONEx794 said:

You won't be able to use that texture because its too bright, you need to edit this texture.

Also, that dark beard texture won't look good ingame, i know because i tried myself some custom beard textures very close to rdr1, but it ends up looking like a face paint and not like a beard. 

How do you import it into the game? I checked OpenIV, but I didn't see an option to import new textures into a ytd.

Edited by Jax765
NikitaSF2
6 hours ago, GuiCORLEONEx794 said:

why not add such a beard to the mod, maybe someone will like it

I did it. It took some trial and error, but god damn I figured it out and I did it.

I was able to edit the JMRP mod's shop_items.ymt so Left Parted Lengths 2 through 7 use the classic hair model, only affecting John. The model that the mod uses for Right Parted Length 7. The Del Lobo/Van Horn hair model.

That way when you start the epilogue, since by default John starts with Left Parted Length 2, John will have his classic hair right from the start as depicted in the mission replay screens--instead of having to get to Pronghorn Ranch and grow the hair out.

So now I can do a couple things, since I know some people wanted some alternate versions of the mod.

1. A shop_items.ymt that doesn't include all the other unique hairstyles for John. Just replaces Right Parted Length 7 with the classic hair. For those of you that prefer to let John grow his hair out, into his classic hair, and don't like the messy Length 6 model. Similar to josh's script, but using the better model that GuiCORLEONE found that doesn't clip with hats.

2. A shop_items.ymt that only replaces Left Parted Lengths 2 through 7 with the classic hair. Yes, it's strange to have long hair for "Length 2" (which is supposed to be short) but this is the only way to ensure John has his classic hair right from the start of the epilogue. This is for those of you like me, who don't care to style John's hair any differently. Just have his classic hair from the start of the epilogue, and never have to touch bother going to a barber.

Of course, because it's using an already modified .ymt from someone else's mod, I will not release these edited .ymt files without @GuiCORLEONEx794's permission.

Also, if anyone is wondering, and for documentation purposes for the benefit of other modders since I heavily believe in helping out one another, the hash that the mod uses for the classic hair is 0xFD9BA0D7

EDIT: And I just successfully replaced all of John's beard lengths with his length 2 model. Length 1 doesn't actually have a model from what I can tell, so I don't know exactly how to replace the other lengths with that unless there exists an "empty/invisible" model or some sort of hash I can use. Doesn't affect Arthur's beards or styles, just replaces all of John's beards and styles with his length 2 models. Yes I understand how brute force this is, but as a purist that is only interested in the classic, canon, original John Marston look, using other hairstyles or giving him a beard is not in my scope. But now with this, John has his classic hair, and as close to "no beard" as I can get, from the start of the Epilogue.

Screens:

Spoiler

p44kFH1.png

bR19nHl.png

EDIT2: Not being able to let this go, I saw on discord that the strategy for making things invisible is to find a ped model 1kb in size, and use the hash for that. So here is the final brute force result to give John his classic look right from the start of The Wheel.

Spoiler

G7OUmHc.png

Edited by cp1dell

@Darealbandicoot Not me. According to the author though he used Lenny’s Simple Trainer to lock the outfit, allowing him to have John with long hair and no beard in The Wheel. Whereas my method is a personal modified shop_items.ymt from JMRP that replaces Left Parted Lengths 2-7 for player_three only, and replaces Lengths 2-10 of chin, stache, and chops with an invisible model to remove the beard.

This way you can just have the mod installed and not have to play with any trainers or reloading, or any workarounds. Only downside is that basically left parted hair growth, and the default chin, mustache, and chops styles growth are “broken.” But if you’re like me, and you only care about keeping John’s classic appearance, and have no intentions of using the hair growth or beard growth mechanics, than it’s not really an issue. Plus side is because it’s a .ymt edit, Arthur is unaffected. So he’ll still have his beard in Chapter 1 and Chapter 5, as well as anywhere else during the game if you’re the kind of person that lets him grow it out.

I’d love to release some versions of the edited shop_items.ymt for the people that only want the classic hair to replace Right Parted Length 7, or replace just Left Parted Lengths 2-7, or my version which also removes the beard for John, but considering the rest of the fixes in the ymt thanks to the hard work by GUI, I’d need his permission first. But considering the blowout recently in the Mod Showroom, who knows if he’ll ever see this.

6 hours ago, Darealbandicoot said:

All Epilogue cutscenes as the real John 

as seen in the mission screenshots. 

@cp1dell Is this you btw? 

Massive props to whoever was behind this video. It was like I watched a film, the way it was edited and everything was incredible. I guess this took this person days, if not over a week to edit all this.

• Like 1

Alright, with @GuiCORLEONEx794's permission, I've thrown together a .zip of some alternate shop_items.ymt files like I mentioned in my previous post. I'm not going to officially upload these to a mod site since they're just some personal edits of someone else's mods. As of right now, June 14th 2021, these changes are based off off the John Marston Restoration Project v2.7. If any changes are made to the shop_items.ymt file in future versions, I'll have to reapply my changes, so keep that in mind.

Here is a breakdown of each version:

noHair - Regular shop_items.ymt from JMRP2.7 containing John fixes that don't affect Arthur, just without any changes to John's hair. I just used this as a backup/base for the other variations. Decided to include it as a reference.

rightParted7 - Same as before, but the only hairstyle for John that is replaced is Right Parted Length 7 with his 1899 Hair. Like josh's script, but with the better model found by GuiCorleone that doesn't clip through hats.

leftParted2-7 - Replaces Left Parted Lengths 2 through 7 for John, with his 1899 Hair. This ensures that John has his classic hair right from the start of The Wheel.

leftParted2-7NoBeard - Same as before, but also removes the regular style, all lengths of beard for John. This ensures that John has his complete classic look from the start of The Wheel, as depicted in the mission replay screens--with his 1899 hair, and no beard. The other styles of beards are unaffected.

Again, these changes only affect John. So if you use leftParted2-7NoBeard, you don't have to worry about Arthur's Left Parted hair being messed up, or Arthur not being able to sport a beard. These only affect John in the epilogue.

Installation is the same. Just choose which variant you want, and replace the shop_items.ymt from your JMRP installation with one of these.

Download

• Like 4