3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Hunting Request question

Taterman

I'm on the hunting request where you need a perfect cardinal, rat and woodpecker. I've had the cardinal carcass for a long time and it's never rotted. Still trying for the rat and woodpecker.

Meanwhile, I just got a perfect songbird and bluejay. I was hoping to hang on to them for future challenges, will they rot if I keep them even though I don't need them for a challenge yet?

kubon352

Fotunately, small animals like birds and squirells, you can keep them for eternity in your satchel.

• Like 1
Taterman

Cool, thanks. But will they count when or if I get to a challenge that requires them in the future?

If you pick up a small animals carcass with Arthur, it will get lost after Chapter VI. Also possible that animals in pocket/satchel get lost after Chapter IV, I am not shure about this point.

However, everything for the pocket/satchel will not rot, just the bigger carcasses which can be fixed on saddle or horse back will rot after some hours.

Therefore I recommend to hunt this bigger animal as last one of each hunting request.

• Like 1
Taterman

This is what prompted me to ask the question, is it incorrect?

https://www.powerpyx.com/red-dead-redemption-2-all-hunting-request-locations/

Glitch Warning (Quest not progressing): When completing a Hunting Request (when sending a mail to Ms. Hobbs), make sure you do not have any other perfect carcasses for the next hunting request in your inventory! Otherwise, the game might glitch out and never give you the follow-up quest, thus making it impossible to complete the hunting requests and thus the 100% completion! There’s yet another glitch; when you’ve already gotten a bigger carcass (rabbit, opossum, skunk, beaver) and you saved the game after, but reloaded the save, then the carcass can simply disappear and is no longer checked off in your quest log. It is therefore best to keep these animals for last or to do the entire request in one sitting with no reloads.

kubon352

I've collected some carcasses in advance. Didn't encounter any of these bugs. Maybe these issues were related to some older game versions.

Edited by Kubigz
  • Like 2
Taterman
4 minutes ago, Kubigz said:

I've collected some carcasses in advance. Didn't encounter any of these bugs. Maybe this issues were related to some older game versions.

Glad to hear this, thank you.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kubigz said:

I've collected some carcasses in advance. Didn't encounter any of these bugs. Maybe these issues were related to some older game versions.

Copy that. I only had a notice of a animal carcass was collected, but by fact I had not. It was beginning Epiloque I after getting the last hunting request. 

It was cleared one mission later.

But until now I had no issues at all with hunting requests.

The guide is not bad, but it ain“t true that a one star animal may give you a three star carcass or even pelt. It just may rescue the lost of one star by using a slightly more powerful weapon as it should be.

Taterman

Well I FINALLY got the perfect rat, cardinal and woodpecker tonight. I found a really great spot for birds and got several other types including some hawks,eagles, loons, cormorants, bluejays, robins, cardinals, woodpeckers...wish I found the spot earlier.

I mailed in the 3 carcasses, and the perfect robin I got counts toward the next hunting request. Thanks guys.

Bakamomo
3 hours ago, Taterman said:

Well I FINALLY got the perfect rat, cardinal and woodpecker tonight. I found a really great spot for birds and got several other types including some hawks,eagles, loons, cormorants, bluejays, robins, cardinals, woodpeckers...wish I found the spot earlier.

I mailed in the 3 carcasses, and the perfect robin I got counts toward the next hunting request. Thanks guys.

Where is the spot more exactly?

Taterman
28 minutes ago, Bakamomo said:

Where is the spot more exactly?

It's the fort southwest of Van Horne. I think it 's called Fort Brennand (something like that). I camped near there and just stood on the upper levels with a clear view all around and shot the birds and they flew by. Sometimes while perched on top of the towers. Being in first person view helps. You can shoot rats off the carcasses that accumulate if needed.

21 minutes ago, Taterman said:

It's the fort southwest of Van Horne. I think it 's called Fort Brennand (something like that). I camped near there and just stood on the upper levels with a clear view all around and shot the birds and they flew by. Sometimes while perched on top of the towers. Being in first person view helps. You can shoot rats off the carcasses that accumulate if needed.

Fort Brennand? It's a good place for snakes as well.

The whole Kamassa River is a good spot for hunting most kind of birds. They sit on the big stones in and close to the river.

Bats can be found at the cave entrance at Elysian Pool's waterfall (you just need to pick them up, because some hit the wall and fall to the ground). There is also a cave (wolf man) at Kamassa River, where bats and rats can be found.

• Like 1
TexasOdysseus

I'm having a difficult time with the perfect beaver carcass. Those suckers are starting to piss me off! 

Taterman
4 minutes ago, TexasOdysseus said:

I'm having a difficult time with the perfect beaver carcass. Those suckers are starting to piss me off! 

Try the same location as the legendary beaver. You should find a 3 star there.

nice-beaveroh-get-stuffed-T-BVEer4.jpeg

Edited by Taterman
2 hours ago, Taterman said:

If you ask me Owanjila Westside is an easy spot to get 2x three star beaver at the same time.

Interresting fact: A beaver is not a small animal, but varmint rifle is the correct weapon to ensure it keeps it‘s quality

Edited by Dying
TexasOdysseus
1 hour ago, Taterman said:

nice-beaveroh-get-stuffed-T-BVEer4.jpeg

Oh, I've found tons of 3 star beavers, but to get the perfect carcass (not pelt), has been tough. Arrows aren't giving me a clean kill (any type). 

I probably need to get back to the varmint rifle and just monitor my range of the shot to try to finally get it done. 

+1 for the Leslie Nielsen reference :)

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, TexasOdysseus said:

Oh, I've found tons of 3 star beavers, but to get the perfect carcass (not pelt), has been tough. Arrows aren't giving me a clean kill (any type). 

I probably need to get back to the varmint rifle and just monitor my range of the shot to try to finally get it done. 

+1 for the Leslie Nielsen reference :)

Varmint rifle works for me always in case of hunting beavers.

It works even from bit  distance. Head shot is not needed either. Just get it before it‘s in deeper water.

Cutter De Blanc

Yeah, you need the Varmint rifle, regular arrow is too strong, small game arrow is too weak

With a bow and varmint rifle equipped, as far as I know you can get a perfect pelt from anything. Creatures that require a repeater or rifle use the regular arrow instead. For larger game use an improved arrow, and for varmints like beavers and raccoons,  use the Varmint rifle. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
guerilla_man

Materials will not rot. Best to carry the legend of the east satchel.

get the Most out of storing all your materials.

only thing that will rot is carcasses stored on horses. Pelts and materials will not rot. Birds and gathering them will be labelled as materials satchel area and will not rot as I said.

best to find all those birds materials you need to send in mail. Just go randomly collect those birds you need even before the request is given.

it will help you later in the game instead of having to find those hotspots where those birds are when you get the requests. Birds can be scattered all around the map in different areas. Cardinals are found near valentine. Wood peckers can be found near first horse shoe camp. Hope my reply helped in any way.

Edited by guerilla_man
  • Like 1