4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

How did GTA influence you?

Grotti Vigilante

Grotti Vigilante

Now according to christian conservatives, the Grand Theft Auto series has made us psychopathic carjackers and school shooters in the making who will unleash all our rage once we've joined the right crime syndicate, but I'd like to deal with the opinions that really matter here, which is your own. As a fan of the GTA series, how has it actually influenced you as an individual? For example, has it made you look at things in a certain way? Has it made you interested in things such as cars? Or has it, like with me, greatly influenced your taste in music? For me, the games have influenced what sort of music I like to listen to, most especially Vice City. It's given me an interest in many 80s songs and a few 90s ones too. Most of my favourite tunes have come from the GTA series, a majority of them being from Vice City. But what about you? How has the GTA series influenced you in some form or another? Let us know, because I'd be very interested in hearing your stories...

• Like 6
Jeansowaty

Lel, I'm a christian and playing GTA at young age had a reverse effect on me - I actually figured what is real and what is not and knew to completely abstain from what is portrayed there. Especially drugs. GTA3 is the reason why I never tried any, lmao.

• Like 2
MyNameIsNotImportantBro

I felt Grand Theft Auto Games keeps telling us " Never give up" but it's a criminal version. 

• Like 2
universetwisters

It helped me learn to use landmarks to memorize street layouts and that sh*t is instrumental for my career as a pizza delivery guy

• Like 2
MyNameIsNotImportantBro

Also, I felt Grand Theft Theft Auto Vice City was part of my life, When I'm alone I play it just driving around, hearing music, rampaging, I played it so much when I was younger.

billiejoearmstrong8

It probably had quite a big influence on my taste in comedy, all that dark satirical humour.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it influenced my taste in music, but it has caused me to discover and appreciate new songs/artists including from genres I wouldn't normally listen to.

Also definitely helped improve my map reading skills! And already being a geography nerd GTA IV, V and San Andreas have specifically led me to learn more about the geography (and history and culture) of New York and Los Angeles.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 1
Evil empire

The GTA's made me realize even more how great the open world games are compared to the linear ones. They also made me discover some very good songs I oftenly listen to outside of playing

• Like 4

Helped me understand military time. Introduced me to a lot of music, and I've watched a lot of movies and tv shows that GTA has taken inspiration from.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 2
Evil empire

They made me learn modding, since GTA 3 is the game for which I created my first mods even if they aren't the games I modified the most.

Edited by Evil empire
Lioshenka

I took interest in rock, country and rasta music purely because of SA. Never before had I any interest in those.

It made me learn modding - not a very useful skill outside of this very particular area, but I spent a lot of time doing it, had fun doing it and met a lot of great people through that process.

I fell in love with certain elements of American history and some cities only because of GTA - none of the tourism advertisements and youtube videos would have been able to do that.

I can confidently say that the most important moment that literally changed my life was the Toreno's flight school. "You try and you fail, you try - and you fail again. But the real failure is when you stop trying." Made me look at any given task in a completely different light.

It actually scares me to think what would my life have been if GTA wasn't a part of it. Would be interesting to know though.

• Like 2
ThatBenGuy

GTA IV/EFLC influenced me in so many ways, I can't even BEGIN to list them all and don't know where to even start!

• Like 1
TheSantader25

I personally learned a lot about American culture and also the 3 notorious cities because of this series. I remember actually visiting LA for the first time and feeling like I've lived there before lol. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 3

IV started me questioning other games’ stories. Before that i didn’t judge much but IV showed me it can be that big and great at the same time.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Copcaller

Sparked my interest in other genres especially reggae and music from other eras. Also when gta 3 came out I started talking less cause I thought it was cool that Claude never said a word in game. 

Gettin up
On 2/21/2020 at 5:50 PM, Grotti Vigilante said:

Now according to christian conservatives, the Grand Theft Auto series has made us psychopathic carjackers and school shooters in the making who will unleash all our rage once we've joined the right crime syndicate, but I'd like to deal with the opinions that really matter here, which is your own. As a fan of the GTA series, how has it actually influenced you as an individual? For example, has it made you look at things in a certain way? Has it made you interested in things such as cars? Or has it, like with me, greatly influenced your taste in music? For me, the games have influenced what sort of music I like to listen to, most especially Vice City. It's given me an interest in many 80s songs and a few 90s ones too. Most of my favourite tunes have come from the GTA series, a majority of them being from Vice City. But what about you? How has the GTA series influenced you in some form or another? Let us know, because I'd be very interested in hearing your stories...

I don't know man. I started to play GTA as a kid when I got my GTA 2 copy in 1999 or 2000. After that I didn't play GTA games for a while. GTA 3 didn't gave me a good impression and it was boring imo. I heard GTA Vice City was very cool and I tried it but that wasn't so interesting. But then GTA San Andreas came out and I went to my friend to just watch him playing. It was awesome. I wanted that game. Then I got it but my PC was so sh*t it could barely run it back then. Then I got myself a PS2 and played it a lot. Then I bought my own PC, played GTA San Andreas so much and GTA IV came out to PC so I played that a lot as well. Then GTA V came to PC in 2015 and this is I believe my third most played game because of Online.
I listen to music I hear in GTA games. I have used quotes I heard from GTA games when I travel abroad and need to speak english.
Love this series. Best games ever made.

MyNameIsNotImportantBro
14 hours ago, Ahmedmfroezspeed said:

It made me psychopathic and sadistic...

do you kill people?

Algonquin Assassin

Back in the late 90s I was right into the WWE (during the Attitude era) South Park, Jerry Springer etc.

I could feel society becoming more edgy and once I played GTA 1 I was instantly hooked as it felt like that’s where my tastes were at the time as I was growing into a teen/young adult.

• Like 3
Ahmedmfroezspeed

it made me stay dafaq away from drugs after

i seen what they did to Richardo Diaz and Big Smoke

On 3/24/2020 at 4:03 PM, OmarMohammed said:

do you kill people?

in-game: i chainsaw them 100 times

in real life: no, i kill insects instead

• Like 1

GTA taught me how to run fast with cars without taking any speed ticket! 😝

Edited by Jowday
YellowJacket

It helped me appreciate the hard work of strippers dealing with criminals for some blood money.

• 5 months later...
Kaname Madoka

Helped me get better with navigational stuff, made me understand more American culture, appreciate crime and drama novels, books, etc.

GrudgefromSanAndreas

Well, after many years of playing, i'm still not as interested in video game stories as sooooo many of you are, i suck at writing stories, especially gta-styled. Yet gta did help me appreciate atmospheres, world building and humour a lot

GhettoJesus

Learned some English words/expressions/slang through GTA. It also taught me some culture and introduced me to several great artists and genres.

Edited by GhettoJesus
  • Like 1