3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Creating an RPG video game

NotACop

Seems gaming doesn't addict me too much anymore after about 16 years of it. I mean I still find games great but I cant really play them for longer than 5 minutes. I've had this crazy idea of developing my own game in my head lately, RPGs are what im interested in because these games ive been able to enjoy the most. However I wonder how should I start? Ive been trying to code a game in python and did something simple but the problem is it has no graphics and im not sure how to add. Maybe Python wasnt such a good choice after all? Has anyone here made his own game?

I write little video games all the time.  And when I say little I do mean little.  Even the simplest of games is hard to write from start to finish as one person.  

Start very small.  Even if your RPG is just a text game with no graphics you are still working out game mechanics...  it is still a "game".   

Have you looked at stuff like Unity?  That might be a better place to start over Phython if you want to put a full game together.  Unity is a game making engine so to speak.  It also has enough free assets to help you get started with graphics and so forth.   People use Unity to release full retail games...so dont think it is just one of those throw away fun weekend projects.

If you want to skip all the difficult stuff...have you ever looked at any of the "game makers" out there?  Like RPG Maker?

https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

Edited by trip
On 2/9/2020 at 10:48 AM, NotACop said:

Seems gaming doesn't addict me too much anymore after about 16 years of it. I mean I still find games great but I cant really play them for longer than 5 minutes. I've had this crazy idea of developing my own game in my head lately, RPGs are what im interested in because these games ive been able to enjoy the most. However I wonder how should I start? Ive been trying to code a game in python and did something simple but the problem is it has no graphics and im not sure how to add. Maybe Python wasnt such a good choice after all? Has anyone here made his own game?

Python is bad for games because its slow. But the reason you dont have graphics is not the fact you use python but its because you have to use either a game library or engine. For python its Pygame but you should use Unity instead. Its one of best game engines and very good for beginners. Unity supports c# so you should also learn c# before unity. And there are countless tutorials on youtube so just look for them.

Edited by RedDagger
removed blogspam link
  • 1 year later...
On 2/9/2020 at 6:48 PM, NotACop said:

I made multiple games using Python with the pygame library. I can help you out with that putting graphics and stuff but I'm not sure if you are using that library.

On 2/10/2020 at 1:34 PM, carofheaven said:

you should use Unity instead. Its one of best game engines

"Trigger a game developer with a single post."

Unity really is good for beginners, though. If you have minimal programming experience, want to make a game, and don't know where to start, it's hard to do better than Unity. Godot's catching up in a lot of ways, and if it's important to you that your engine is completely free and open source, it's worth checking out, but Unity is still a better starting point. Better tools, better documentation, stabilized API, and huge community that can help you. Once you get comfortable with Unity, you can consider a switch to Godot. Both use C# for their gameplay code and have generally similar design philosophies.

But it doesn't make either of them good engines. They're just the only ones with good support, target people new to game development, and still give you tools to get studio quality out of them if you have the patience.

Now, I can rant for a while about problems that Unity has, but the truth is, short of trying to do something fancy with physics, you aren't going to hit them with a hobby project. Because for a hobby project, you don't need a good engine. You need one with decent capabilities, helpful community, and easy to use. And Unity does have all that.

And yeah, Op, don't make games in Python. Just don't.