Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Diamond Casino Heist
      2. Find Lobbies & Players
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Vehicles
      5. Content Creator
      6. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

      1. Events
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA 6

    3. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA IV Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

    6. GTA Vice City Stories

    7. GTA Liberty City Stories

    8. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA SA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA VC Mods
    10. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA III Mods
    11. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Babymoore

HDR Banding issue

Recommended Posts

Babymoore

Hello, when using HDR on both my TV and monitor i noticed some banding, especially in menu and other dark parts of the game, like dark wood or something like that, also theres some banding on fog or something gray. Im using 10bpc, i have even option to use 12 bpc. Turning off the HDR solves the problem but i want to know if there is problem on my side or the HDR is just broken :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ash_735

The HDR on this game is just broken, better to leave it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cyper

What type are you using, cinema or game?

 

If you're using cinema, you'll have to decrease brightness on the screen because cinema mode increases brightness making black crushed, and the game losing colours. Everything looks washedout otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mcspanky37

Unless your TV or monitor has a lot of video processing (which usually means high input lag) the banding is normal. HDR10 uses 10-bit color which is a little prone to banding, Dolby Vision is 12-bit color which provides enough color gamut to eliminate visible banding.

 

On 2/9/2020 at 4:05 AM, Ash_735 said:

The HDR on this game is just broken, better to leave it off.

The HDR was mostly fixed in patch last summer. Not perfect, but better than not working at all. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ-Sj37cgWc

Edited by Mcspanky37

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ash_735
1 hour ago, Mcspanky37 said:

The HDR was mostly fixed in patch last summer. Not perfect, but better than not working at all. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ-Sj37cgWc

"mostly fixed" from worthless trash to basic trash isn't exactly a better stand point. It makes no proper use of the expanded colour range nor peaks and lows, it's just a fake stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mcspanky37
3 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

"mostly fixed" from worthless trash to basic trash isn't exactly a better stand point. It makes no proper use of the expanded colour range nor peaks and lows, it's just a fake stretch.

Except there is expanded color range and there is higher peak brightness that you'd lose out on playing SDR. If you watch the video I linked it will explain it to you. If you don't like HDR, good for you then, many people will enjoy it whether you are or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ash_735
14 minutes ago, Mcspanky37 said:

If you don't like HDR, good for you then, many people will enjoy it whether you are or not.

You've not read any of my posts in this thread have you?** I've been defending HDR most of it, I just can't defends Rockstars crappy attempt at it when plenty of other developers, even indie developers, are putting HDR to good use. That's been my main point, this game wasn't developed with HDR in mind and the version it attempts is just a downright disappointment to the point where leaving it off makes the game look better, less washed out, etc. And I'm comparing this on the PC version which came out long after the console HDR fix patch, so this "fix" was on PC from day one and yet out of all HDR Games and Videos I've played/watched from this device, RDR2 has been the only one to fail matching the expanded ranges properly, for myself the black levels do not drop low enough, the lowest value it offers in the menu is still grey looking and I'm using a calibrated display which works fine with the majority of other games ranges.

 

Edit: **I thought this was the other HDR thread, go read my posts in that one 😛

Edit 2:

 

Edited by Ash_735

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mcspanky37
2 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

You've not read any of my posts in this thread have you?** I've been defending HDR most of it, I just can't defends Rockstars crappy attempt at it when plenty of other developers, even indie developers, are putting HDR to good use. That's been my main point, this game wasn't developed with HDR in mind and the version it attempts is just a downright disappointment to the point where leaving it off makes the game look better, less washed out, etc. And I'm comparing this on the PC version which came out long after the console HDR fix patch, so this "fix" was on PC from day one and yet out of all HDR Games and Videos I've played/watched from this device, RDR2 has been the only one to fail matching the expanded ranges properly, for myself the black levels do not drop low enough, the lowest value it offers in the menu is still grey looking and I'm using a calibrated display which works fine with the majority of other games ranges.

 

Edit: **I thought this was the other HDR thread, go read my posts in that one 😛

 

I think we agree, it's not a great HDR implementation. Though in my case the HDR looks more colorful and light sources appear more naturally bright, more contrast etc. I did not go by what the HDR screen recommends for paper white I have it around 280.  I also did minor adjustment to my TV (LG C7 OLED) HDR settings. I took more effort than it should of but the game definitely looks better on my display in HDR. It probably is a difference of our displays which probably have different peak brightness, contrast ratio, etc.

Edited by Mcspanky37

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cyper

Just to sum it up:

 

(1) HDR is not perfectly implemented in RDR2. Keep this in mind.

 

(2) Your TV must be properly calibrated to get the best possible picture. If brightness, contrast, and color is incorrect, it wont simply look good.

 

(3) Your TV must not only ''support'' HDR, but it must support at least 1 000 nits and have a 10 10 or 12-bit color panel. If not, then you can't expect a proper HDR experience. Problem is: most HDR TV:s on the market are not real hdr TV:s. My HDR TV for example only support 350 nits. If I increase peak brightness over 350 in RDR2 the quality of the picture will worsen rather than improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.