3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Mod Request: Free Roaming with Gang Members

storymode

A simple mod that allows you to pick which gang members follow you during free roam sessions would be awesome. A lot of the AI for this feature seems to have already been implemented, but the feature was removed before the game released, for whatever reason. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, storymode said:

A simple mod that allows you to pick which gang members follow you during free roam sessions would be awesome. A lot of the AI for this feature seems to have already been implemented, but the feature was removed before the game released, for whatever reason. 

You're saying it has already been implemented but removed based on what exactly?

The007connoisseur
1 hour ago, Red Dead Rebel said:

You're saying it has already been implemented but removed based on what exactly?

Bodyguards can be spawned using a trainer

7 hours ago, Red Dead Rebel said:

There’s a glitch in the console version that “tricks” a random selection of gang members into following you around. They suddenly have gray indicators on the minimap, as well as their name and location on the actual map. They will defend you in combat and make dynamic comments when you do stuff like switch hats or rob enemies. They will post up smoking cigarettes in a saloon if you’re drinking at the bar. When you ride on your horse they automatically organize themselves into intelligent formations. It’s very clear that Rockstar coded a “follower” feature into the game and then scrapped it for whatever reason.

If someone could just add a “follower” interface and fix a couple things (in the glitch the gang members stop following you if you go to sleep or set up camp), it would be a bad ass mod. I’m probably going to build it myself if no one else can do it. It will take me a year because I have no clue what I’m doing but I want this feature badly. It’s the only feature I wanted in the actual game and I was gutted when I realized I couldn’t just go camp or fish or hunt or even ride around with some of the gang whenever I wanted. 

6 hours ago, The007connoisseur said:

Bodyguards can be spawned using a trainer

And you can just make whatever gang member you want a bodyguard? What happens if you sleep or set up camp, will they stick around? Also what trainer would you recommend for this?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, storymode said:

There’s a glitch in the console version that “tricks” a random selection of gang members into following you around. They suddenly have gray indicators on the minimap, as well as their name and location on the actual map. They will defend you in combat and make dynamic comments when you do stuff like switch hats or rob enemies. They will post up smoking cigarettes in a saloon if you’re drinking at the bar. When you ride on your horse they automatically organize themselves into intelligent formations. It’s very clear that Rockstar coded a “follower” feature into the game and then scrapped it for whatever reason.

If someone could just add a “follower” interface and fix a couple things (in the glitch the gang members stop following you if you go to sleep or set up camp), it would be a bad ass mod. I’m probably going to build it myself if no one else can do it. It will take me a year because I have no clue what I’m doing but I want this feature badly. It’s the only feature I wanted in the actual game and I was gutted when I realized I couldn’t just go camp or fish or hunt or even ride around with some of the gang whenever I wanted. 

And you can just make whatever gang member you want a bodyguard? What happens if you sleep or set up camp, will they stick around? Also what trainer would you recommend for this?

It wasn't scrapped. All those AI behaviors and UI elements are in the game for in-mission companions. That doesn't mean it was a feature to hangout with gang members outside of missions in free roam.

Anyway, you can use "Lenny's Simple Trainer" or JediJosh's trainer (controller support) to spawn bodyguards and they'll follow you in free roam.

Edited by Red Dead Rebel

it's yes the scrapped feature cause the glitch provides you so much better companions than the trainer, 1. they speak to you and are recognized by the player and by the radar, 2. they idle when you're just idle 3. they loot bodies and pick up health herbs which should normally go to your pocket since they're your active companions, none of those features are in the trainers, the trainer just spawns stranger to follow you and that's it what we need is a script that allows us go back to camp focus on which gang member we'd like to follow us and then press E key to reqruit, i would also appreciate if someone made that exact script for this game, i've been requesting it from everywhere including from Jedijosh himself that made RDR2Trainer but idk if he'll make it.

Edited by GJ1996
  • Like 2

In some missions, Charles is avalible for this feature. When you press r2, its shows greet, antogonize and follow in the hud. When you press triangle, charles follows you.

Edited by GroveStGTAV
36 minutes ago, GroveStGTAV said:

In some missions, Charles is avalible for this feature. When you press r2, its shows greet, antogonize and follow in the hud. When you press triangle, charles follows you.

i've never come across that mission, which mission was it exactly, also was he like with normal free roam behavior like i listed  2. they idle when you're just idle 3. they loot bodies and pick up health herbs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GJ1996 said:

i've never come across that mission, which mission was it exactly, also was he like with normal free roam behavior like i listed  2. they idle when you're just idle 3. they loot bodies and pick up health herbs.

every mission when dutch says "take charles with you". Like thats murfee country, magicians for support

Edited by GroveStGTAV
4 minutes ago, GroveStGTAV said:

every mission when dutch says "take charles with you". Like thats murfee country, magicians for support

Well i guess then that shouldn't be hard to make it into a script when the option follow also exists in the game but i'm not a scripter so idk how to do it either, but i still think that this camp companion glitch is still scrapped feature..

• Like 1