Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. Los Santos Summer Special
      2. The Diamond Casino Heist
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyb17

HDR Question

Recommended Posts

Johnnyb17

Wondering does What does HDR actually add? Is it a graphics thing or is it just colour thing? Will I lose details by turning it off? 

 

Reason  I ask is I tried it while off and RDR 2’s colours just look much better 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ironside
5 hours ago, Johnnyb17 said:

Wondering does What does HDR actually add? Is it a graphics thing or is it just colour thing? Will I lose details by turning it off? 

 

Reason  I ask is I tried it while off and RDR 2’s colours just look much better 

Normally HDR always looks way better if one owns a HDR capable TV or screen. Unfortunately the HDR in RDR2 is not really HDR, it is some kind of lame attempt to implement real HDR after their even less real “cinematic HDR” that was present at launch. 
 

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and will normally let your TV or screen (if those are HDR compatible) show a way higher range of colors and the end result will end up being a much more realistic experience. Some movies that I have in 4K and HDR are just fantastic compared to the non HDR versions visually and the same can be said about all games I have played except one. Sadly RDR2 is either not HDR at all or it is a very piss poor attempt not worthy a studio like R* as the result is very underwhelming no matter what version of HDR one chooses. 
 

So yes, in RDR2 and RDR2 only, SDR looks better than HDR no matter what kind of TV one tries. I normally play on a Samsung QLED but I also have an LG OLED and HDR looks awesome on both in all movies and games that has it except RDR2. I have played RDR2 on a brand new Panasonic and a six months old Sony that both has HDR and I would guess they are OLED as they where the more expensive models from both companies( but they could have had other screens as I am not sure which companies use OLED screens, except for LG of course) with crappy results with the HDR modes on RDR2. 
 

There are people here that prefers the HDR as they play RDR2 and I trust them when they say the game looks better to their eyes than RDR2 SDR but I do not share their opinion. So you need to decide for yourself what you prefer while playing RDR2, but as a general rule HDR is always better and RDR2 is the exception to confirm said rule. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Johnnyb17
2 hours ago, Ironside said:

Normally HDR always looks way better if one owns a HDR capable TV or screen. Unfortunately the HDR in RDR2 is not really HDR, it is some kind of lame attempt to implement real HDR after their even less real “cinematic HDR” that was present at launch. 
 

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and will normally let your TV or screen (if those are HDR compatible) show a way higher range of colors and the end result will end up being a much more realistic experience. Some movies that I have in 4K and HDR are just fantastic compared to the non HDR versions visually and the same can be said about all games I have played except one. Sadly RDR2 is either not HDR at all or it is a very piss poor attempt not worthy a studio like R* as the result is very underwhelming no matter what version of HDR one chooses. 
 

So yes, in RDR2 and RDR2 only, SDR looks better than HDR no matter what kind of TV one tries. I normally play on a Samsung QLED but I also have an LG OLED and HDR looks awesome on both in all movies and games that has it except RDR2. I have played RDR2 on a brand new Panasonic and a six months old Sony that both has HDR and I would guess they are OLED as they where the more expensive models from both companies( but they could have had other screens as I am not sure which companies use OLED screens, except for LG of course) with crappy results with the HDR modes on RDR2. 
 

There are people here that prefers the HDR as they play RDR2 and I trust them when they say the game looks better to their eyes than RDR2 SDR but I do not share their opinion. So you need to decide for yourself what you prefer while playing RDR2, but as a general rule HDR is always better and RDR2 is the exception to confirm said rule. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply man! I had never played SDR since launch and then decided to try and the colour difference was night and day! 

 

Basically all I wanted to know is if switching to SDR would affect graphics and details at all? Even though still using 4K resolution,

 

so I guess switching to SDR won’t cause a graphical downgrade? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GinsengElixir

As I said in another thread, having HDR ON is much better for me than off. I did have to tweak my tv settings endlessly to get there though. When I turn HDR OFF game looks like saturated junk. That's just my experience however, lot's will say the opposite. 

 

I play X1X, mid range 4k TV. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Johnnyb17
3 minutes ago, GinsengElixir said:

As I said in another thread, having HDR ON is much better for me than off. I did have to tweak my tv settings endlessly to get there though. When I turn HDR OFF game looks like saturated junk. That's just my experience however, lot's will say the opposite. 

 

I play X1X, mid range 4k TV. 

But either option doesn’t affect graphics details right? Sorry if dumb question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GinsengElixir
2 minutes ago, Johnnyb17 said:

But either option doesn’t affect graphics details right? Sorry if dumb question. 

Don't think so. I'm not well educated enough to say, only going on what I see.

 

HDR is clearly crap here but when it's on I am super happy with how my game looks. Without it is awful. I might experiment again and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ash_735

No, HDR doesn't affect any of the graphical options, it just affects how it sends data from the console/PC to your display, if HDR looks worse for you, leave it off, simple, the HDR in this game was never great anyway which was a major let down considering even indie studios can do amazing HDR and yet billionaire company Rockstar can not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John McCabe

XBox One X here going to a Sony HDR capable 4K TV. RDR's "faux HDR" accomplishes only two things IMO: raises black levels to an unacceptable grey and desaturates color. The game looks far better and richer in SDR. No graphical or resolution difference that I can tell...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ironside
22 minutes ago, BobDyl said:

XBox One X here going to a Sony HDR capable 4K TV. RDR's "faux HDR" accomplishes only two things IMO: raises black levels to an unacceptable grey and desaturates color. The game looks far better and richer in SDR. No graphical or resolution difference that I can tell...

”Faux HDR” indeed! The HDR in RDR2 is atrociously implemented, and I use the word “implemented” very loosely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Johnnyb17

So i i guess all in all HDR only affects colours not graphic details or resolution right?!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ironside
7 hours ago, Johnnyb17 said:

So i i guess all in all HDR only affects colours not graphic details or resolution right?!

Correct!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Johnnyb17
6 hours ago, Ironside said:

Correct!

Thanks for all your info man !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ironside
57 minutes ago, Johnnyb17 said:

Thanks for all your info man !

No problem mate, always fun to be able to help someone even if it is a small thing 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedDeadRevolution

HDR adds input lag to your game, I don't recommend it if you don't wanna lose battles online.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ironside
10 hours ago, RedDeadRevolution said:

HDR adds input lag to your game, I don't recommend it if you don't wanna lose battles online.

Just another example of how bad the HDR is “implemented” in this game. I play a lot of games on both PC and consoles albeit RDR2 has taken up a lot of time the recent year and the HDR in RDR2 is the worst I have ever encountered, it is pathetic. 

Edited by Ironside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Johnnyb17
2 hours ago, Ironside said:

Just another example of how bad the HDR is “implemented” in this game. I play a lot of games on both PC and consoles albeit RDR2 has taken up a lot of time the recent year and the HDR in RDR2 is the worst I have ever encountered, it is pathetic. 

Its clear that this game was developed using SDR and then the HDR gimmick came around launch so they decided to half ass it and stick a HDR seal on it haha there is no other explanation why it looks so much better using SDR ! Can’t believe I’ve been using HDR all this time 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ash_735
On 2/5/2020 at 11:58 AM, Johnnyb17 said:

and then the HDR gimmick

Just to point out here, HDR when done right is amazing, seeing lighting and bright spots actually stand out and pop and dark, shadowy areas looking a lot more natural, etc. When done properly it IS noticeably better than SDR and there's plenty of games out there that DO handle it properly, just sadly billionaire company Rockstar Games isn't one of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ironside
10 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

Just to point out here, HDR when done right is amazing, seeing lighting and bright spots actually stand out and pop and dark, shadowy areas looking a lot more natural, etc. When done properly it IS noticeably better than SDR and there's plenty of games out there that DO handle it properly, just sadly billionaire company Rockstar Games isn't one of them.

I totally agree! I love HDR in most games and definitely in movies. This is why I am so very disappointed in the fake HDR in RDR2. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.