3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

How to multitask while playing gta 5

Arch93

I've got a question and I've been wondering how to do this but how do you use your pc while gta 5 is running can it be done because the cursor is not shown at all and it stays in the game window during gamepla I'm assuming there might be an option in the settings and if there is I'm not sure where it would be some help on this question would be good

demosethell

i would like to help you but i cant understand a think of what your point is.

Try to use some punctuation. Its very confusing the way it is

On 1/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, demosethell said:

i would like to help you but i cant understand a think of what your point is.

Try to use some punctuation. Its very confusing the way it is

In asking how to do other things on your computer like web browsing and stuff while the game is running I still haven't figured it out yet

demosethell

what you mean by "game running"?

Like not having to close the game? 
Or you dont mind minimizing the game but you dont want it to go to the pause menu?

The first option is very easy. Just minimize your game. After you done what you need, you can maximize it again

The secound one, is a little bit more complicated.
Natively, you cant do this. As soon as you minimize the game, it will enter on pause menu. Unless you are in online, but usually you have about one minute idle before you get kicked of inactivity

If what you want to multitask is playing and surfing the web, what you can do is get an overlay browser, like there is on steam, and you can open that overlay over your game. 
This will allow to have your game actually running while you go online, tho your imputs will not afect the gameplay. So if you are online, be aware that if you take too long (i think its 13 mins) without any game imput, you will be kicked out of the lobby.

Other way you can do it, is get a 2nd PC or laptop. Is what i use. 
I have my PC where i play, and i have my laptop on the side, where i check my facebook, my chat while im streaming, and so on 

• 2 weeks later...
ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
On 1/23/2020 at 6:46 AM, Arch93 said:

I've got a question and I've been wondering how to do this but how do you use your pc while gta 5 is running can it be done because the cursor is not shown at all and it stays in the game window during gamepla I'm assuming there might be an option in the settings and if there is I'm not sure where it would be some help on this question would be good

Your question makes little or zero sense...

Can you better explain what you're actually trying to do?

• 2 months later...

Run the game in windowed borderless and turn off "pause on focus loss".

Edited by yurmad
  • Like 1
  • 8 months later...
Astro-PG

Sorry I'm late to the party. I have a solution to this problem, and if you want to post it up on reddit you can (I can't, don't have the karma, and I'm not an active user, but at least I can post it here).

This is how I'm able to use the mouse and keyboard on the desktop or in another window, while playing at the same time.

So what's so special about this solution, I don't know, but I don't see many people talking about it. Again it allows you to use the mouse and keyboard simultaneously while the controller provides the input to the game while it is both in-focus and out-of-focus. That means you can have a Window maximized, and have the game still receive that input, resetting the inactivity timer, It means you can have both the game and many windows open and interact between those windows and use the controller without the need to alt-tab. However due to GTA5's nature, and GTA5 doesn't provide the option to disable "Constrain Mouse Pointer" (RD2 does offer this tho), GTA5 requires you to alt-tab at least once to release the mouse and keyboard from the game so that you can use it, otherwise you won't have to do this unless your mouse gets trapped in GTA5 again. There's one thing no matter what your controller will still work, and send input to the game, even while the game is minimized, however while minimized this doesn't reset the inactivity timer for some reason (despite receiving  input from the controller) and you timeout in two minutes, so just don't minimize the game. Also you can use this solution for RD2.

1. You need a controller, and your launcher needs to be steam.

2. In Steam settings, select In-Game, and I have the first three checkboxes selected.

3. In Steam settings, select Controller. My General Controller includes "Guide Button Focuses Steam" and the configuration support of the controller you plan to use (I use steam controller which is natively supported so there is no option, and PlayStation.) and Controller shutdown time: Never (that's optional I believe).

4. This is important, make sure you're using a controller template for GTA5 that isn't bound to either the mouse or keyboard, the official Rockstar config works, and you can save this config to use later, or you can use the Gamepad template. Your choice and you can experiment (This configuration is for Steam, and you don't make these changes in game).

5. This is also important and possibly the most integral to get it working, in Steam settings, still in Controller, select "Desktop Configuration" and browse configs to either import the Rockstar config or the Gamepad template.

6. This might be optional, but go into big picture mode and in it's settings I have my display> Interface settings so that that Big Picture mode starts windowed and so that touch interface is enabled and Screensaver never. 

7. In Big picture mode > Settings > Features > Steam Overlay, enable steam overlay.

8. In Big picture mode got to GTA5 > Manage Game. This is were you can change the controller configuration to the config you want, mine is R* official, but it can also be the Gamepad template, again you can experiment, but those work. Other than changing controller config  you can go to controller options, where my setting is Steam input forced on. 

9. Finally you can start GTA 5 and make changes to it's settings. In Graphics you can make it windowed, and make sure "Pause Game on Focus Loss" is off. In Audio you can change "Mute Audio on Focus Loss". In Keyboard / Mouse, I'm not sure how much "Mouse Input Method" matters, but I changed it to Windows (in RD2 its raw, so again don't think it matters as much to get this working). Make sure the changes take place then you're done. You can do basically the same for Red Dead Redemption 2, and they give you the option to disable "Constrain Mouse Pointer" in Graphics which I recommend.

Now I don't want to hear you can't multitask, because you can if you really want to.

Edited by Astro-PG