3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTA XBOX Collection

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that gta iii and vice city didnt even release on the normal version for xbox. 😮 wow. Congratz.

If i can ask where did you find these gta iii and vc? Only ebay?

51 minutes ago, Slighty said:

I thought that gta iii and vice city didnt even release on the normal version for xbox. 😮 wow. Congratz.

If i can ask where did you find these gta iii and vc? Only ebay?

Thanks! GTA III and Vice City were released in normal XBOX cases exclusively for rental in Blockbuster, which as you can imagine makes them incredibly rare. I have the NTSC versions, as you can see. The seller I bought from mentioned in the item description that they were also released in standard cases in Blockbuster in the UK, which would be great as then PAL variants would also exist; however, I have never seen any pictures of such editions nor heard of them anywhere else, so I cannot confirm their existence. As things stand I have the standard PAL Double Pack version instead.

I found all three games on eBay, after months of searching. The same seller was selling both GTA III and Vice City. They actually came in Blockbuster cases, but I switched their contents with FIFA Football 2003 and 2004 on XBOX, so they would be uniform with San Andreas. I also switched the manual and map with better-condition ones, as the original ones were crushed, since the space in the Blockbuster case to hold the manual and map was too small for them. The disc itself is actually the same disc included in the NTSC Double Pack version, including its artwork. They also came with Rockstar Games logo stickers, though I don't know if these were included originally or if the seller threw them in.

Edited by jm-9
  • Like 3
On 1/3/2020 at 1:33 AM, jm-9 said:

Thanks! GTA III and Vice City were released in normal XBOX cases exclusively for rental in Blockbuster, which as you can imagine makes them incredibly rare. I have the NTSC versions, as you can see. The seller I bought from mentioned in the item description that they were also released in standard cases in Blockbuster in the UK, which would be great as then PAL variants would also exist; however, I have never seen any pictures of such editions nor heard of them anywhere else, so I cannot confirm their existence. As things stand I have the standard PAL Double Pack version instead.

I found all three games on eBay, after months of searching. The same seller was selling both GTA III and Vice City. They actually came in Blockbuster cases, but I switched their contents with FIFA Football 2003 and 2004 on XBOX, so they would be uniform with San Andreas. I also switched the manual and map with better-condition ones, as the original ones were crushed, since the space in the Blockbuster case to hold the manual and map was too small for them. The disc itself is actually the same disc included in the NTSC Double Pack version, including its artwork. They also came with Rockstar Games logo stickers, though I don't know if these were included originally or if the seller threw them in.

Wow. Really interesting. So its really rare. If i can ask what price did you pay for them? 

You have onky versions for Xbox? Or you have another versions of GTA for diffrent systems?

I paid around $200 each on GTA III and Vice City including postage and import charges. Too much really, for what are essentially two pieces of paper, since the rest can be gotten from the double pack. Still, I had been looking for these for quite a while, and knew I probably wouldn't find them again for a long time.

I have been collecting for five years now. It started quite by accident when I bought GTA III for PC in a second-hand shop. I then got Vice City and Hot Coffee San Andreas for PC, and it expanded from there. My first GTA was GTA 1, but I've been a huge fan since Vice City. I like collecting GTA games since they always come with detailed manuals and maps. It's been a really fun hobby.

My GTA collection focuses strictly on the games, soundtracks and official strategy guides, though I do have an unofficial GTA 1 strategy guide. I limited it to these items in order to avoid spending too much money (says the person who spent $200 each on two GTA games, but still). I also wanted to avoid my collection taking up too much space. That's why I'm also not currently interested in GTA IV and GTA V limited editions that come in huge boxes. It's a strategy that's mostly worked. The amount I spent on the XBOX games is the exception that proves the rule really.

Within that scope I have amassed a fairly extensive collection at this point. I still have a few more things to get, but not much more. When I complete it I'll post a photograph of the entire collection.

Edited by jm-9

@jm-9 I would say those paper covers aren't rare per say. But indeed not found anymore, Ive actually thought of purchasing them when they were on ebay so I assume you were the one that purchased them, they were about 4.00 dollars USD each or so. I dont know why you paid so much but since you're across the pond i guess thats the reason. Dope I'm also a guide collector too, and I have SAs soundtrack. Dope can't wait to see more of your collection post it in the collectors chat too.

9 hours ago, ROCKSTAR MANIC said:

@jm-9 I would say those paper covers aren't rare per say. But indeed not found anymore, Ive actually thought of purchasing them when they were on ebay so I assume you were the one that purchased them, they were about 4.00 dollars USD each or so. I dont know why you paid so much but since you're across the pond i guess thats the reason. Dope I'm also a guide collector too, and I have SAs soundtrack. Dope can't wait to see more of your collection post it in the collectors chat too.

Interesting. I had seen the Vice City one for sale in 2015 for $50, and I had never seen the GTA III one for sale before. Postage and import charges made up around $50 of each purchase. You saw them available for $4 each? That's really good.

Yeah, the soundtracks and strategy guides are really cool. Did you know that parts of GTA III's soundtrack were released on three different collections? My collection is almost complete, I've only got a few PAL versions to go. I've never bothered with the German or Australian censored versions because they offer no benefit over the standard European versions (also I'd prefer not to have endless copies of Vice City and San Andreas taking up space!). I've actually posted one of the rarest parts of my collection in the GTA 1 forum, the London 1969 strategy guide. I came across it by complete accident online when searching for GTA: London 1969 for PS1. I didn't even know it existed.

• Like 1

@jm-9 yeah, Like i did want to purchase those two copies a while back, but why would I want another copy of those two games were I already have both versions.  Wow 3 different? did they each have a disc with the music and artwork? Ive never seen it.

25 minutes ago, ROCKSTAR MANIC said:

@jm-9 yeah, Like i did want to purchase those two copies a while back, but why would I want another copy of those two games were I already have both versions.  Wow 3 different? did they each have a disc with the music and artwork? Ive never seen it.

One was actually a record rather than a CD. There was:

• The Soundtrack Sampler, which contained parts of Game Radio and Lips 106 (including the cut song "Wash Him Off" by Marydancin). This was released on CD, and came in European and American varieties.
  • A CD containing three tracks from MSX FM. See it here.
  • A record containing two tracks from game radio. See it here.
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, jm-9 said:

One was actually a record rather than a CD. There was:

• The Soundtrack Sampler, which contained parts of Game Radio and Lips 106 (including the cut song "Wash Him Off" by Marydancin). This was released on CD, and came in European and American varieties.
  • A CD containing three tracks from MSX FM. See it here.
  • A record containing two tracks from game radio. See it here.

i have all of these just need that final american black sampler, crossing my fingers. Do you have the PC games from the ps2 era? Do you prefer your games sealed or open? any chance you could show us that 1969 london strategy guide?

4 hours ago, johndoe365 said:

i have all of these just need that final american black sampler, crossing my fingers. Do you have the PC games from the ps2 era? Do you prefer your games sealed or open? any chance you could show us that 1969 london strategy guide?

I have all three PC games from the PS2 era, from both Europe and America. The only one I'm missing is the European GTA III big box for PC. I don't mean the Polish one. It's referenced a few pages back in the general chat. I've been looking for it for nearly five years now, but have yet to find one for sale. I've found the Australian one and the German one, but I really want the one with the UK age rating on the front, as that is the uncensored European version with English on the back of the box. It seems to be virtually impossible to find.

Other than that, the hardest ones to find of these games were the Vice City European version with glittery writing and the San Andreas European first edition. The latter isn't really rare, but it's really annoying to find, as the European second edition doesn't have 'Second Edition' written on the front. The only way to tell without installing the game is to look at the bottom of the DVD under light. This means that the version you get is largely up to chance.

Generally I like my games open. One of the reasons I like collecting GTA so much is that you always get lovely manuals and maps with the games. I don't get that with sealed games. The only ones I have sealed are my XBOX and PC San Andreas AO games. When San Andreas was re-rated AO during the Hot Coffee controversy, AO stickers were sent to shops that still sold the game. These were then put onto the plastic wrap of new copies. Opening these games would take away everything that is unique about them, as removing the plastic would also remove the AO sticker. The exception is my PS2 AO copy. This was a used copy, and so the shop put the AO sticker onto the artwork. For that reason I can open that copy.

I posted a few pictures of my London 1969 strategy guide here. It's interesting, as it's written entirely in the same accent that the manual is written in.

Yeah, the soundtrack samplers can be tough to find. What other GTA-related stuff do you collect?

Edited by jm-9
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 2:15 AM, jm-9 said:

I paid around $200 each on GTA III and Vice City including postage and import charges. Too much really, for what are essentially two pieces of paper, since the rest can be gotten from the double pack. Still, I had been looking for these for quite a while, and knew I probably wouldn't find them again for a long time.

I have been collecting for five years now. It started quite by accident when I bought GTA III for PC in a second-hand shop. I then got Vice City and Hot Coffee San Andreas for PC, and it expanded from there. My first GTA was GTA 1, but I've been a huge fan since Vice City. I like collecting GTA games since they always come with detailed manuals and maps. It's been a really fun hobby.

My GTA collection focuses strictly on the games, soundtracks and official strategy guides, though I do have an unofficial GTA 1 strategy guide. I limited it to these items in order to avoid spending too much money (says the person who spent $200 each on two GTA games, but still). I also wanted to avoid my collection taking up too much space. That's why I'm also not currently interested in GTA IV and GTA V limited editions that come in huge boxes. It's a strategy that's mostly worked. The amount I spent on the XBOX games is the exception that proves the rule really.

Within that scope I have amassed a fairly extensive collection at this point. I still have a few more things to get, but not much more. When I complete it I'll post a photograph of the entire collection.

may i ask, when you bought GTA III and Vice City for xbox, you said that they came in blockbuster cases right? Meaning that the plastic case was a black blockbuster case i assume? But the paper was marked with the XBOX logo, but not with the green case? why would they not include the entire set? And to my final question, the cd´s that should come with these, Are the identical to the ones from the double pack? or are there different version for the blockbuster sets?, the same for the single ps2 sets? Also would you mind sharing pics of your hot coffee san andreas PC? 

Yes, the plastic case was a Blockbuster case. My guess is that they received the games in XBOX cases, but then removed the contents and put them into Blockbuster cases to use as rentals. Of course, since the area designated for the manual wasn't big enough in the Blockbuster case, they forced the manual and map in. The games themselves are identical to the ones in ones in the double pack, including the artwork on the discs. The only unique thing is the box art. Everything else aside from the case can be gotten from the double pack, and the case can be gotten from any other original XBOX game.

Here is a picture of my hot coffee San Andreas PC games:

h5ZB36C.jpg

On the left is the European edition, on the right is the North American edition. The difference between the two is that they both have different executables and the European version contains support for French, German and Italian in addition to English and Spanish. In my opinion this makes the European version the definitive version of the game when you take mods into account. Both come with big, hardback manuals, but the European edition also comes with a paper sleeve. The way the pages are glued to the spine in the European version also makes it much easier to read. The European version comes in a proper box with a base to it, whereas the North American version only comes in a cardboard sleeve. Both feel like deluxe editions, particularly the European version.

The European version is also much harder to find than the North American version. While it's not that rare, second edition European copies are virtually identical. I've gone over both extensively, and the only way to tell is by holding the data side of the disc up to light and looking at the code written in the disc ring (and even then there's a difference of exactly one digit).

Edited by jm-9
  • Like 2
  • 11 months later...

Hi. Nice-looking set! I've seen III and Vice in black Blockbuster cases, but never the SA version. Where did you find that one? And it looks sealed with an "AO" ESRB sticker placed over the (as far as I know) original "M" ESRB rating? Curious if SA was originally part of the Blockbuster series. Any info you can share would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 3:59 PM, theleglamps said:

Hi. Nice-looking set! I've seen III and Vice in black Blockbuster cases, but never the SA version. Where did you find that one? And it looks sealed with an "AO" ESRB sticker placed over the (as far as I know) original "M" ESRB rating? Curious if SA was originally part of the Blockbuster series. Any info you can share would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks!

Only GTA III and Vice City are Blockbuster. San Andreas has the AO sticker placed on top of it, but is otherwise an ordinary retail copy. I found it on eBay. I actually have the complete AO set (PS2, PC, XBOX). All have AO stickers placed on top of the M. I don't think that cases with the SO rating were ever manufactured.

San Andreas could have been part of the Blockbuster series since the other two were, but finding it would be extremely difficult, since unlike GTA III and Vice City, San Andreas got a retail release using its normal box art.