1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

If GTA 4 didn't have hardware limitations, why does the game lacks things to do after storyline?

StrafeFTW

1 hour ago, Emmi said:

One of the reasons GTA IV became such a standout entry in the series for me (it is indeed my favorite GTA to date and I really doubt that's ever going to change!) is that it didn't give a damn about peoples expectations coming from San Andreas with this crazy amount of stuff to do. Instead Rockstar did the only right thing in my opinion, make IV what they envisioned it to be, make this the story of Niko Bellic and its cousin Roman, make this the story of an immigrant coming to the land of opportunity seeking to start a new life, leaving the past behind. GTA IV is quality over quantity wherever you look, there's no filler content in this game and there's ONLY stuff in the game that fits Niko as a character - kind of the same approach they did with RDR2 and Arthur Morgan. Do I miss customizing vehicles in the game, lol ... NO, absolutely not. Do I miss more clothing options, nope, I do not because the selection is perfect as is and very carefully selected by the team at Rockstar. Do I miss any side activites? Again, no. Each side-activity there is available is engaging, fun and with incredible depth to it, it doesn't need more. One more thing I remember people complaining about ever since the release ... the lack of flyable planes ... I mean, why the heck would you want to fly around with a plane in this city, it just makes no sense and Rockstar very rightfully didn't include flyable planes in this game. This game followed a clear vision and Rockstar executed that vision perfectly, they can't get enough credit for it, even today!

Exactly.

It's obviously not flawless, but I disagree with most of the points that people categorize as "flaws". More like most of them are basically a part of R* vision with the game and it relates to what they wanted to achieve. Did it work? Not to everybody, but it did to me.

• Like 1

Rockstar Games are sh*tty programmers they don't know how to create a good car handling system let alone add post-story content

• Like 1

I'll agree that there's not much to do after the storyline. 

Side missions are finite, friends/dates stop saying or doing anything different after a while, and Niko ends up with a pile of money and nothing left to buy. This leaves basically pool, bowling, darts, and stealing cars for Stevie, if you want actual activities other than exploring the environment. 

I disagree that it's a problem. The story ends. Would Bullitt have been a better movie if you could follow Frank around for a few more days? 

If you want something to do after the storyline, start from the beginning again, but do it differently. 

All that having been said, I could play pool and cruise around the environment for hours on end. The lack of crimes to commit doesn't bother me, as there's no reason for Niko to do anything like that, since he no longer needs money or revenge, and he's ensured the safety of those close to him. 

Edited by Lance Mayhem
  • Like 2

i do think its because of the dlcs that came out

I can't f*cking find sh*t to do in a game after beating it 100% anyway, applies to every GTA no exceptions.

• Like 3
Algonquin Assassin
5 hours ago, Lance Mayhem said:

Side missions are finite

To be honest I don't even mind that.

I've been playing San Andreas again and I done the paramedic missions to get the extra health, but I can't see myself doing them again. In fact that goes for most of the infinite side missions in the 3D era. They're alright to play through once to get a reward (which I admit GTA IV sorely lacks), but the replay value isn't very good IMO.

I like that GTA IV's side missions only get to a certain point before they start to feel stale. I just play them in small bursts between missions and we always have vigilante missions and racing as infinite type of activities for endless play. Since I love the shooting mechanics and driving so much I don't mind doing these again and again as I probably wouldn't care in other GTA games, but in GTA IV I do.

friends/dates stop saying or doing anything different after a while

It would've been nice if there was some more dialogue, but I feel this feature is very underappreciated/underrated anyway. It's ironic how people complain that there's nothing to do yet Niko can hang out with friends/girlfriends so it doesn't even feel that lonely in free roam.

and Niko ends up with a pile of money and nothing left to buy.

To me money serves more of a story device than a physical one. It's not even that bad because you could just go on rampages and every time you die the hospital bills rack up. From my experience it drains pretty quick.

• Like 3
On 12/17/2019 at 11:12 AM, Anywhere USA said:

GTA SA and GTA 5 are the only games with the massive amount of post game, the rest of the series is pretty light.

Hell, GTA 4 is a solid 3rd place 

honestly for me even gta 5 doesn't have much to do.

10 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I've been playing San Andreas again and I done the paramedic missions to get the extra health, but I can't see myself doing them again.

Little tip by the way: Just play the game for several hours, maybe even a day or so and your health will reach full. I never did paramedics as their my least favorite side mission and since their are other alternates for 100% completion, it's technically not necessary at all.

Edited by KingAJ032304
  • Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
23 hours ago, KingAJ032304 said:

honestly for me even gta 5 doesn't have much to do.

Little tip by the way: Just play the game for several hours, maybe even a day or so and your health will reach full. I never did paramedics as their my least favorite side mission and since their are other alternates for 100% completion, it's technically not necessary at all.

Don't you have to do it you want to complete the game 100%? I'm pretty sure you do.

Hoping I'm right because I certainly never would've done it otherwise lol

On 5/8/2020 at 5:46 PM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Don't you have to do it you want to complete the game 100%? I'm pretty sure you do.

Hoping I'm right because I certainly never would've done it otherwise lol

There are some things that can filll up you 100% completion checklist past 100% if you do EVERYTHING in the game that you don't need if you do paremedics. I just replace paremedics with them.

8 minutes ago, KingAJ032304 said:

There are some things that can filll up you 100% completion checklist past 100% if you do EVERYTHING in the game that you don't need if you do paremedics. I just replace paremedics with them.

Paramedic is required for 100% completion in all 3D GTA games and can't be replaced by other tasks.

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
2 hours ago, perennial said:

Paramedic is required for 100% completion in all 3D GTA games and can't be replaced by other tasks.

100% in 3D era was hardcore lol. No doing half the stunt jumps and a handful of the random events nonsense. 

3 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

100% in 3D era was hardcore lol. No doing half the stunt jumps and a handful of the random events nonsense. 

It's even worse in III, to the point where it's a necessity to do the side-missions from the very beginning unless you look forward to having your car blow up.

• Like 2
  • YEE 1
  • 10 months later...
KingAJ032304
On 12/17/2019 at 11:12 AM, Anywhere USA said:

GTA SA and GTA 5 are the only games with the massive amount of post game, the rest of the series is pretty light.

Hell, GTA 4 is a solid 3rd place 

Gta iv definitely does NOT have more to do than GTA VCS. In fact I'll argie GTA V and VCS fight for 2nd.

KingAJ032304
On 12/17/2019 at 3:42 PM, Americana said:

We don't need anything else than what was present in Grand Theft Auto IV.

Seriously, what more do you need? Carl Johnson in his underwear working as a Paramedic?

Well... probably you do.

There's a lot of stuff i would highly desire in gta iv. 

KingAJ032304
On 5/1/2020 at 6:40 PM, iiCriminnaaL said:

While I can pick some exceptions, I agree.

GTA IV and its expansions packs are exceptions, though, as I find every side-mission of them to be fairly entertaining (club management not that much, though).

On 5/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, Striker02 said:

I almost think that GTA's sidemissions are boring and tedious in every gta

I agree with you two fellas. Gta never really had anything all that worthwhile and fun.

Algonquin Assassin
1 hour ago, KingAJ032304 said:

Gta iv definitely does NOT have more to do than GTA VCS. In fact I'll argie GTA V and VCS fight for 2nd.

You already replied to this guy (a few posts up).

But since this thread has been bumped again I still maintain I don’t get the obsession with post story.

I’d rather start a new game, but that’s just personal preference. In saying that often I find people concentrating too much on numerics when it comes to things like this. There’s no point IMO listing a bunch of features and coming to the conclusion there’s more to do because there are more of them.

I‚Äôve¬†always felt that GTA IV is one of those games that¬†does¬†more with less. Infact I don‚Äôt mind it has less side missions/activities quantity wise because it makes it much easier to find¬†¬†something interesting to do than sifting through a bunch of filler sh*t like I find with most GTA games thus creating a feeling they have ‚Äúless to do‚ÄĚ than GTA IV even if by the pure sake of quantity they don‚Äôt.

Then again it’s an openworld/sandbox game so it’s only limited by my imagination.

billiejoearmstrong8
7 hours ago, KingAJ032304 said:

Very true. However the VCS stuff is beyond awful, that game was the peak of tedious vehicle based side missions. Maybe after reaching the point of having like 6 mind numbingly boring vehicle missions with 15 levels each they realised it was time to cut back because it added nothing to the game. I never really thought of that before but VCS could be the reason for the big cull of that stuff in IV. IV has less but the things it does have are much more enjoyable.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 1
The Tracker

What to do at the end of the storyline in GTA IV? Almost nothing /s, you just got Bowling, Golf, Pool, Darts, Arm-Wrestling, Air-Hockey, Street-Fights, Card Games, Arcade Games, TV, Internet-Cafés, Helicopter Trips, Boat Trips, Races, Bike Races, Parachuting, Thriatlons, Dancing, Stripclubs, Eating, Drinking, Bus-Stops, Friend Hang-Outs, Dating, Booty-Calls, "Hot-Coffee", Vigilante Work, Bounty Hunting, Drug-Delivery, Car Robberies, Bike Robberies, Sport Bike Robberies, Import/Export, Assassination Contracts, "Laundry" jobs, Gang Wars, Drug Wars, and more I forget to mention.

Seriously, it's been more than 10 years since GTA IV came out, and people still makes this dumb af assumption, and it's extremely funny and downright ironic, because if you include both DLC's, GTA IV is literally the GTA game with the most hours of content:

https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=4062

https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=4063

https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=4074

Check a look at the number of "Completionist" hours, which refers to the amount of time it takes to not only beat the 100% of the game, but also side content of the game that isn't required for it, such as girlfriends, achievements, etc, the base game features 77 hours, TLAD 18, and TBoGT 23, these are a total of 118 hours of content, and they can get to be even more depending on your playstyle, this is considerably more than GTA SA and V, which everyone knows as the ones with the "most content".

Edited by The Tracker
  • Like 4
Algonquin Assassin
14 minutes ago, The Tracker said:

What to do at the end of the storyline in GTA IV? Almost nothing /s, you just got Bowling, Golf, Pool, Darts, Arm-Wrestling, Air-Hockey, Street-Fights, Card Games, Arcade Games, TV, Internet-Cafés, Helicopter Trips, Boat Trips, Races, Bike Races, Parachuting, Thriatlons, Dancing, Stripclubs, Eating, Drinking, Bus-Stops, Friend Hang-Outs, Dating, Booty-Calls, "Hot-Coffee", Vigilante Work, Bounty Hunting, Drug-Delivery, Car Robberies, Bike Robberies, Sport Bike Robberies, Import/Export, Assassination Contracts, "Laundry" jobs, Gang Wars, Drugs Wars, and more I forget to mention.

Seriously, it's been more than 10 years since GTA IV came out, and people still makes this dumb af assumption, and it's extremely funny and downright ironic, because if you include both DLC's, GTA IV is literally the GTA game with the most hours of content:

Check a look at the number of "Completionist" hours, which refers to the amount of time it takes to not only beat the 100% of the game, but also side content of the game that isn't required for it, such as girlfriends, achievements, etc, the base game features 77 hours, TLAD 18, and TBoGT 23, these are a total of 118 hours of content, and they can get to be even more depending on your playstyle, this literally is considerably more than GTA SA and V, which everyone knows as the ones with the "most content".

While this is true I think GTA IV should be judged on its own rather than having EFLC boost it. Though I guess an argument could be made if you have the complete edition finding something to do shouldn’t be much of a problem. When I’m done with GTA IV I can just switch to TLAD/TBOGT and vice versa.

It makes GTA V and San Andreas welp at the knees¬†with all that story/free roam¬†content all things considered.ūüėõ

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 2
KingAJ032304
6 hours ago, The Tracker said:

What to do at the end of the storyline in GTA IV? Almost nothing /s, you just got Bowling, Golf, Pool, Darts, Arm-Wrestling, Air-Hockey, Street-Fights, Card Games, Arcade Games, TV, Internet-Cafés, Helicopter Trips, Boat Trips, Races, Bike Races, Parachuting, Thriatlons, Dancing, Stripclubs, Eating, Drinking, Bus-Stops, Friend Hang-Outs, Dating, Booty-Calls, "Hot-Coffee", Vigilante Work, Bounty Hunting, Drug-Delivery, Car Robberies, Bike Robberies, Sport Bike Robberies, Import/Export, Assassination Contracts, "Laundry" jobs, Gang Wars, Drug Wars, and more I forget to mention.

Check a look at the number of "Completionist" hours, which refers to the amount of time it takes to not only beat the 100% of the game, but also side content of the game that isn't required for it, such as girlfriends, achievements, etc, the base game features 77 hours, TLAD 18, and TBoGT 23, these are a total of 118 hours of content, and they can get to be even more depending on your playstyle, this is considerably more than GTA SA and V, which everyone knows as the ones with the "most content".

And that's the problem with GTA IV to many GTA fans. Its side content is not quite to the targetted audience's preference even if the other GTAs were ignored. In a crime game like GTA known for its complete freedom to indulge in criminal activity involving carjacking, killing people and cops, drug dealing, and everything else, GTA IV side content consist of slightly worse versions of legal side hobbies and games you could do in real life, socializing in various different ways, interacting with interiors in small ways, side missions that would literally be just missions if they advanced the story rather than being on the side, and with the absolute minority being genuine criminal side quests with around 2/3rds to 75% of them not being replayable. Now rather this is a problem or not is up to debate, but I feel like there could be been much more to be done in the criminal side quest area while still sticking to the semi gritty realism and in character aspect in this game. Really the game is almost more of a retirement simulator at the ends which very much fits in the playstyles of gta iv fans in gtaforums such as billiejoearmstrong8 and Algonquin Assassin, but to many gta fans it leaves quite a lot to be desired. With that said I do want to say that GTA never really had all that much content (except GTA SA and GTA VCS) nor were they all that fun to dwell in. So for the people who's saying the argument that GTA IV has plenty to do and has almost just as much content as the old ones and are arguably better, than your not wrong at all. But in different ways each GTA is kind of underwhelming to GTA fans. (And honestly I'm really not sure how people came to their own conclusion that GTA V is more underwhelming than previous GTA games content wise. Its really all the same to me at least.)

Edited by KingAJ032304
  • KEKW 1
The Tracker
12 minutes ago, KingAJ032304 said:

And that's the problem with GTA IV to many GTA fans. Its side content is not quite to the targetted audience's preference even if the other GTAs were ignored. In a crime game like GTA known for its criminal activity involving carjacking, killing people and cops, drug dealing, and everything else, GTA IV side content consist of slightly worse versions of legal side hobbies and games you could do in real life, socializing in various different ways, interacting with interiors in small ways, side missions that would literally be just missions if they advanced the story rather than being on the side, and with the absolute minority being genuine criminal side quests with around 2/3rds to 75% of them not being replayable. Now rather this is a problem or not is up to debate, but I feel like there could be been much more to be done in the criminal side quest area while still sticking to the semi gritty realism and in character aspect in this game. Really the game is almost more of a retirement simulator at the ends which very much fits in the playstyles of gta iv fans in gtaforums such as billiejoearmstrong8 and Algonquin Assassin, but to many gta fans it leaves quite a lot to be desired. With that said I do want to say that GTA never really had all that much content (except GTA SA and GTA VCS) nor were they all that fun to dwell in. So for the people who's saying the argument that GTA IV has plenty to do and has almost just as much content as the old ones and are arguably better, than your not wrong at all. But in different ways each GTA is kind of underwhelming to GTA fans. (And honestly I'm really not sure how people came to their own conclusion that GTA V is more underwhelming than previous GTA games content wise. Its really all the same to me at least.)

The problem is exactly the oppossite of what you say, literally most of the content in previous GTA games was far, far more focused in filler and hobbie like activities than GTA IV.

III and VC barely had criminal side activities, SA had a decent amount of them, but at the same time it had tons, tons of filler activities that you only did once (Just like the two previous games), that made the criminal content like Gang Wars, Import/Export and Burglary feel tiny in comparison, and LCS only had Avenging Angels, with VCS being the only one that was mostly crime related, but sharing the exact same problem as San Andreas (Really, VCS has some of the most annoying and filler side content in the 3D era). The statement of GTA IV "not targetting with audience's preference" or being a "retired simulator" falls flat in the ground when you see the 3D era.

It's a fact that a considerable amount of the central side content that was in GTA IV/EFLC (and I mentioned), were indeed criminal side activities, much, much more than in any 3D era game, and yeah, a good part of them weren't replayable, but that doesn't change the fact that they are there, and are a crucial part of the completion of the game, and that IMO are pretty well designed (Except for the rewards, of course), and even without the non-replayable ones, there is a lot to keep you interested even post 100% completion, things like Vigilante, Stevie's Car Thefts, Gang Wars, Drug Wars and Underground Fights were more than enough to make me revisit my oldest save files oftenly.

• Like 5
Algonquin Assassin

And that's the problem with GTA IV to many GTA fans. Its side content is not quite to the targetted audience's preference even if the other GTAs were ignored. In a crime game like GTA known for its complete freedom to indulge in criminal activity involving carjacking, killing people and cops, drug dealing, and everything else, GTA IV side content consist of slightly worse versions of legal side hobbies and games you could do in real life, socializing in various different ways, interacting with interiors in small ways, side missions that would literally be just missions if they advanced the story rather than being on the side, and with the absolute minority being genuine criminal side quests with around 2/3rds to 75% of them not being replayable. 

The only "legal" side mission in GTA IV are the taxi fares for Roman, but since those are explained contextually by the story they don't really feel out of place. Worse versions of legal hobbies is how I'd describe most of the 3D era content where all we did was be car salesmen, firefighters, paramedics, quarry workers, play with RC toys and there are many others I know I'm missing. The actual proportion of "crime" side missions is really low once you go through it with a fine tooth comb and GTA IV improved that substantially by trimming all the unnecessary fat and only including side missions that are related to Niko's skills instead of random/obscure sh*t like I mentioned.

Want to jack cars? Take jobs for Brucie and Stevie. Want to race? Got you covered. Want to be a vigilante and take out the most wanted criminals in the city? Got you covered again. Want to help out LJ by running drug related jobs? Want to to do some extra assassination work for the Fixer? If the "crime" side missions are all what interests you then I don't see how GTA IV could be considered worse when if anything it emphasises these core concepts like car jacking, drug dealing, killing etc probably more than any other GTA.

As for the social activities lets remember it was San Andreas that introduced these to the series not GTA IV, but in any case I like being able to hang out with friends and enjoying a harmless game of pool, bowling, going to the comedy club etc when I just want to chill out and take a break from being a "criminal" because believe it or not even criminals have social lives. This is why I don't like games like Mafia III that actually crank up being a "criminal" too much and offer next to nothing in between. GTA IV achieves a good balance, but if people don't want to acknowledge that it's their problem.

Really the game is almost more of a retirement simulator at the ends which very much fits in the playstyles of gta iv fans in gtaforums such as billiejoearmstrong8 and Algonquin Assassin, but to many gta fans it leaves quite a lot to be desired.

Well I've already said I don't see the point of playing post-story in any GTA game. I get much more satisfaction from GTA IV when I've completed everything by the time the credits roll.

• Like 3
iiCriminnaaL

I really appreciate the way GTA IV handled its activities more than any other GTA title (besides its episodes, obviously). Side-missions are almost all about crime, saving the typical "fun" and random activities for minigames such as bowling, pool, darts, and so on.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL
  • Like 2
billiejoearmstrong8
20 hours ago, KingAJ032304 said:

And that's the problem with GTA IV to many GTA fans. Its side content is not quite to the targetted audience's preference even if the other GTAs were ignored. In a crime game like GTA known for its complete freedom to indulge in criminal activity involving carjacking, killing people and cops, drug dealing, and everything else, GTA IV side content consist of slightly worse versions of legal side hobbies and games you could do in real life, socializing in various different ways, interacting with interiors in small ways, side missions that would literally be just missions if they advanced the story rather than being on the side, and with the absolute minority being genuine criminal side quests with around 2/3rds to 75% of them not being replayable. Now rather this is a problem or not is up to debate, but I feel like there could be been much more to be done in the criminal side quest area while still sticking to the semi gritty realism and in character aspect in this game. Really the game is almost more of a retirement simulator at the ends which very much fits in the playstyles of gta iv fans in gtaforums such as billiejoearmstrong8 and Algonquin Assassin, but to many gta fans it leaves quite a lot to be desired. With that said I do want to say that GTA never really had all that much content (except GTA SA and GTA VCS) nor were they all that fun to dwell in. So for the people who's saying the argument that GTA IV has plenty to do and has almost just as much content as the old ones and are arguably better, than your not wrong at all. But in different ways each GTA is kind of underwhelming to GTA fans. (And honestly I'm really not sure how people came to their own conclusion that GTA V is more underwhelming than previous GTA games content wise. Its really all the same to me at least.)

GTA IV literally has a higher proportion of crime based side missions than any other GTA game though.

Vigilante, Most Wanted, Assassinations, Stevie's Car Thefts (plus infinite ability to sell stolen cars afterwards), Brucie's car jackings, Drug Deliveries, doing criminal tasks for Random Characters. EFLC adds Gang Wars, Drug Wars, motorcycle racing with baseball bats to attack other racers, motorcycle jackings, more assassinations. Plus of course as much freedom as ever to commit random acts of crime and get in fights with gangs and police, as well as things like robbing store tills and Securicar trucks, picking up hookers, visiting strip clubs for a lapdance, sleeping with girlfriends, drunk driving, street races, calling friends for car bombs or armed back up guys etc.

What other GTA game has as many crime based side missions as IV (or as high a proportion of crime ones vs legal ones)? It was legal activities (eg ambulance, firetruck, other random vehicle ones, haircuts, tattoos, lots of clothes, gun range, car customisation, some racing and sports activities etc) that got cut from IV. If you're looking for a "retirement simulator" with no criminal side missions try GTA V.

• Like 4
Algonquin Assassin
4 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

GTA IV literally has a higher proportion of crime based side missions than any other GTA game though.

Vigilante, Most Wanted, Assassinations, Stevie's Car Thefts (plus infinite ability to sell stolen cars afterwards), Brucie's car jackings, Drug Deliveries, doing criminal tasks for Random Characters. EFLC adds Gang Wars, Drug Wars, motorcycle racing with baseball bats to attack other racers, motorcycle jackings, more assassinations. Plus of course as much freedom as ever to commit random acts of crime and get in fights with gangs and police, as well as things like robbing store tills and Securicar trucks, picking up hookers, visiting strip clubs for a lapdance, sleeping with girlfriends, drunk driving, street races, calling friends for car bombs or armed back up guys etc.

What other GTA game has as many crime based side missions as IV (or as as high a proportion of criminal ones vs legal ones)? It was legal activities (eg ambulance, firetruck, other random vehicle ones, haircuts, tattoos, lots of clothes, gun range, car customisation, some racing and sports activities) that got cut from IV. If you're looking for a "retirement simulator" with no criminal side missions try GTA V.

Yeah. GTA V is the first thing that came to my mind when he said¬†‚ÄĚretirement simulator‚ÄĚ lol.

If not for Trevor the ‚Äúcrime‚ÄĚ side missions in¬†GTA V are pretty weak overall. Franklin barely has anything besides the assassinations and as much as Michael is my favourite protagonist in GTA V he¬†literally makes it feel like a ‚Äúretirement simulator‚ÄĚ. GTA V doesn‚Äôt¬†even have a proper vehicle theft side mission (and I don‚Äôt consider that pathetic list of 5 we do for¬†the epsilon program a worthy successor).

Don’t get me wrong I actually really like the hobbies like golf, tennis etc, but when it comes to side missions GTA V feels like the 3D era in this regard and not in a good way. Very little of anything to do with crime. Trevor’s side missions are pretty good, but even those pale in comparison to GTA IV/EFLC.

• Like 4
billiejoearmstrong8
Just now, Algonquin Assassin said:

Yeah. GTA V is the first thing that came to my mind when he said¬†‚ÄĚretirement simulator‚ÄĚ lol.

If not for Trevor the ‚Äúcrime‚ÄĚ side missions in¬†GTA V are pretty weak overall. Franklin barely has anything besides the assassinations and as much as Michael is my favourite protagonist in GTA V he¬†literally makes it feel like a ‚Äúretirement simulator‚ÄĚ. GTA V doesn‚Äôt¬†even have a proper vehicle theft side mission (and I don‚Äôt consider that pathetic of 5 we do for for the epsilon program a worthy successor).

Don’t get me wrong I actually really like the hobbies like golf, tennis etc, but when it comes to side missions GTA V feels like the 3D era in this regard and not in a good way. Very little of anything to do with crime. Trevor’s side missions are pretty good, but even those pale in comparison to GTA IV/EFLC.

GTA V assassinations are included¬†as main missions¬†so they don't even count imo ūüėõ. Indeed, besides "business management" (which you can't do when you choose) the only repeatable crime based side mission in the game is gun running, and that's just the same 5 missions on repeat and can only be done by Trevor.

All V has for criminal side content is some of the business management, and Trevor's gun running, 4 bounty hunting missions and 5 rampages. There's a few Strangers and Freaks missions and Random Events which involve crime, but they don't really count either imo since they just make up for the lower number of main missions and besides having a question mark instead of a letter on the map that's basically what they are.

IV might not have the most side content but it's king of criminal side content, especially if you include EFLC's gang wars/drug wars which are the best infinite side mission in GTA in my humble opinion.

• Like 3
On 12/17/2019 at 5:16 PM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

The side missions in IV are both realistic and cool though. Vigilante, most wanted, assassinations, car thefts, drug deliveries, street races, taxi driving, random character missions, hanging out with friends/dates, helicopter tours, games like pool, bowling, darts, strip club, hookers, bars, restaurants, TV, internet, comedy club, cabaret club etc. Tbh most of the side missions they left out were boring/annoying (ambulance, firefighter, pizza delivery etc) and they didn't even leave out that many. It still has collectables, unique stunts, almost all the GTA staples. And even more activities and content added with TLAD/TBOGT (eg drug wars/gang wars, cage fighting & gambling, air hockey, arm wrestling, races with nitro, parachutes, dancing, bike racing with baseball bats in play, lots of new weapons).

I'd say the biggest deal things it's missing are car customisation and large amounts of different weapons and clothes. If you're really into that stuff I get being disappointed but like, to me the game has so much more to offer in free roam that it more than makes up for it. The physics and AI is so great that it provides many hours more entertainment than 10 more tedious side missions that I'll only complete once or more variety of cars, weapons and clothes.

Based. Not to mention that you could rob stores as well. And there was a lot of polish to the missions as well, increasing the immersion. 

• Like 1
Algonquin Assassin
26 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

GTA V assassinations are included¬†as main missions¬†so they don't even count imo ūüėõ. Indeed, besides "business management" (which you can't do when you choose) the only repeatable crime based side mission in the game is gun running, and that's just the same 5 missions on repeat and can only be done by Trevor.

All V has for criminal side content is some of the business management, and Trevor's gun running, 4 bounty hunting missions and 5 rampages. There's a few Strangers and Freaks missions and Random Events which involve crime, but they don't really count either imo since they just make up for the lower number of main missions and besides having a question mark instead of a letter on the map that's basically what they are.

IV might not have the most side content but it's king of criminal side content, especially if you include EFLC's gang wars/drug wars which are the best infinite side mission in GTA in my humble opinion.

I wasn’t sure whether to include the assassinations because while they’re presented like most side missions they’re required to complete the story for some reason. A bit like the first Tonya stranger & freaks mission. GTA V has a number of these odd design choices and I’m not sure why.

Either way considering GTA V has three protagonists in the base game you’d think R* would’ve went all out. I also dislike the drug dealing side of Trevor’s business is completely ignored. Why?

Atleast in GTA IV Niko can pretty much do anything one man would be expected with basic levels of driving, shooting, dealing etc.

• Like 2
billiejoearmstrong8
16 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

I wasn’t sure whether to include the assassinations because while they’re presented like most side missions they’re required to complete the story for some reason. A bit like the first Tonya stranger & freaks mission. GTA V has a number of these odd design choices and I’m not sure why.

Either way considering GTA V has three protagonists in the base game you’d think R* would’ve went all out. I also dislike the drug dealing side of Trevor’s business is completely ignored. Why?

Atleast in GTA IV Niko can pretty much do anything one man would be expected with basic levels of driving, shooting, dealing etc.

They're legit main missions, marked with an L for Lester on the map and if you go to the replay missions section they're in the main section. They're actually great missions but it's unimpressive¬†that V has 5 and counts them towards the main missions while IV has 9 and just considers them side content ūüėõ¬†

It's weird honestly, with three protags there's so many different kinds of crime stuff they could've included. Franklin could've had some gang based stuff, drug dealing or burglary but they went with....tow truck driving. Michael being older and less of a street criminal could've had some interesting new stuff I'm sure, but they decided on golf and yoga. And even though Trevor does have a few cool things to do he definitely could've had more (I really loved the bounty hunting, wish there was more of that and that it was replayable). Like, I know they purposefully went for a more lighthearted vibe and definitely wanted to prioritise a wider range of activities and more customisation etc which might've taken up some space/resources. But I'm pretty sure no one dislikes having badass criminal activities to do in GTA.

• Like 4