4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Overrated/underrated crime organizations and gangs

iiCriminnaaL

iiCriminnaaL

Which crime organizations/gangs you would consider to be overrated or underrated in the series?

As for me, the ones that come into my mind at the moment are:

Overrated:

• The Families (3D universe) - They're the protagonist's gang, and they had more development than say, the Vercetti gang in Vice City, the Vance crime organization in Vice City Stories, or even the Leone crime family in Liberty City Stories, but they didn't feel so special when compared to the other three street gangs in Los Santos to be honest. Not that they're bad, not at all. They're in fact one of the most well-developed and likable gangs in the series. I just find the Ballas and Vagos with their powerful drug trade to be more interesting gangs to cover than the Families, as are the Aztecas with their interest in illegal street racing.

Underrated:

• Rascalov Bratva (HD universe) - Once Dimitri took over after taking Mikhail out, he managed to expand the syndicate's power and operation so much, turning it into a big-time crime organization, as opposed to the humble presence under Faustin's leadership. Given events such as ambushing Niko in a warehouse, burning Roman's apartment and cab depot, kidnapping the latter, ambushing the Gambettis (which is the most powerful among the Italian Mafia's crime families in Liberty City), and more, they are a very intimidating syndicate. Not to mention the fact that they also play a role in the subplot of the heroin pack.
Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49
  • Like 8
ThatBenGuy

Overrated:

Grove Street Families: Too much praise just for being CJ's gang.

Underrated:

All Italian and Russian Mafia families in GTA IV as well as the Yardies (who are Jamaican) and the McReary crime family (who are Irish).

• Like 5
Algonquin Assassin

Overrated:

GSF (3D era): Nothing really stands out about them and CJ isn't even the leader so it's hard to give a sh*t when he's all like "We need get to get da homies back together".

Underrated:

The Lost MC: Before GTA IV/TLAD biker gangs had always felt like a bit of an afterthought, but that all changed with GTA IV and TLAD especially. I was disappointed with how they were treated in GTA V, but honestly it's the only gang where I get a sense of true brotherhood. I actually care about every member which doesn't happen with other gangs. I don't have high hopes for biker gangs in future, but atleast there's one really good one that unfortunately doesn't get that much credit in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 8
DownInThePMs

The leones and the families are pretty overrated tbh

the yakuza the jamaicans in iv and the marabunta grande are underrated imo

• Like 5
DownInThePMs

I think there should also be a storyline where the ballas or the vagos are one the good guys tbh im sick of killing them because some green dude tells me to kill them

Edited by DownInTheHole
  • Like 2
iiCriminnaaL
Just now, DownInTheHole said:

I think there should also be a storyline where the ballas or the vagos are one the good guys tbh im sick of killing them because some green dude tells me to kill them

Definitely agree.

Instead of featuring a Family boy trying to make something of himself over again, there should've been a protagonist that is a member of the Vagos or Ballas (especially Vagos, as playing as a Mexican street gangster would've been something fresh) in behalf of Franklin, and instead of trying to get out of the hood, he could've been truly interested in it, as well as drug dealing and maybe gang banging.

• Like 5
Jeansowaty

The Leone family is the most overrated band of idiots ever. The most underrated ones gotta be some street gangs from Vice City and Liberty City (both 3D and HD era).

• Like 2
OG Freddy LOC

Overrated - Korean Mob---- since the gang was based in Alderney it just could not dominate the scene after making pact with the Triads 

in order to maintain it's counterfeiting business. (TBoGT)  Most of their loot got lost in too many stick-ups by 

players.

Underrated-  Survivalists-----Although appeared in one mission in San Andreas GTA Body Harvest - little is known about the Truth's connections 

with this countryside gang except for the farming business which they operated.

I always liked Forelli gang. I think they bit underrated. Sonny Forelli is a great character. But doesn't get much screen time.

• Like 2
billiejoearmstrong8
2 hours ago, Jeansowaty said:

The Leone family is the most overrated band of idiots ever. The most underrated ones gotta be some street gangs from Vice City and Liberty City (both 3D and HD era).

Hell yeah, the Sharks in VC! They remind me of The Warriors and the Gang Burrito is awesome. The Haitians are great too, properly menacing dialogue and genuinely dangerous when they attack on sight to back it up. 

I have to say pretty much every gang on the streets of Liberty City in IV is underrated because to me they surpass any and all other GTA gangs. I love how they're not dressed too obviously so they blend in, their hilarious dialogue, how they give you fair warning and only start trouble if you come to their neighbourhood looking for it, their wide selection of different weapons, and how complex interaction with them is. My favourites are the Russians, Albanians, Italians and Koreans because they have particularly amusing dialogue but the Chinese, Jamaican, Irish, Hispanic, Black and both biker gangs are all great too. As far as missions and storyline go the Russian gangs and Irish Mob are awesome, don't know if they're really underrated as I think most people like them a lot but I couldn't rate them highly enough. I think Italian gangs in the storyline are somewhat overrated, there's just a bit too much of them in GTA and I don't find most of the Italian Mafia characters they write that unique or interesting.

An underrated gang in V is the Armenian gang. It's their own fault for not featuring them in the storyline, but they're my favourite gang to run into and mess with on the street. Families and Ballas are overrated, they're cool enough but don't really deserve the huge amount of attention and hype they get compared to other gangs.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3
Copcaller

Overrated the Leones and gsf

Underrated- uptown riders, Yakuza from gta 3, vagos (they should actually be the oldest street gang in Los Santos), yardies from gta 4

Edited by Copcaller
  • Like 2
billiejoearmstrong8

Oh and how about the Vietnamese gang in San Andreas, the Da Nang Boys? I always thought they were very cool. 

• Like 3
iiCriminnaaL
13 minutes ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Oh and how about the Vietnamese gang in San Andreas, the Da Nang Boys? I always thought they were very cool. 

The Da Nang Boys? Missions that involved shootouts with them were among the best in San Fierro.

I'd say that they're somewhat underrated as well.

• Like 2
Copcaller
On 12/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Would love to see them in gta 6 they should have been in gta 4 Asian boys have a huge presence on the east coast

• Like 1
GTA-Biker

I think those Cobra bikers in GTA SA are really underrated,even by R* themselves.While they seem to be a gang (they wear jackets and vests with the same logo on the back, sometimes ride their bikes in a group, and some of their dialogue suggests they're a gang) and are involved in criminal activities (vehicle thefts, drug dealing, and in mission T-Bone Mendez they were among the robbers who ambushed the Loco Syndicate's van),R* didn't even program them as an actual gang.They seem like an interesting gang,they look cool and have some funny dialogue,it would be cool if they were programmed as a gang and maybe even shown in a few more missions.

As for overrated,I don't know,maybe Families in GTA 5.A lot of people seem to like them just because they're Franklin's gang,and they're back from SA along with Ballas, Vagos and Aztecas,but compared to their 3D universe counterparts they really don't do anything,they just stand around talking, smoking, drinking and looking at their phones all the time.Franklin barely does any missions for the gang,and he can't even recruit random members like CJ could.They're just there for the fan service,they could be replaced by a new gang and it would make no difference.

• Like 3
On 12/8/2019 at 9:26 PM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Hell yeah, the Sharks in VC! They remind me of The Warriors and the Gang Burrito is awesome. The Haitians are great too, properly menacing dialogue and genuinely dangerous when they attack on sight to back it up. 

I have to say pretty much every gang on the streets of Liberty City in IV is underrated because to me they surpass any and all other GTA gangs. I love how they're not dressed too obviously so they blend in, their hilarious dialogue, how they give you fair warning and only start trouble if you come to their neighbourhood looking for it, their wide selection of different weapons, and how complex interaction with them is. kadenang ginto my favourites are the Russians, Albanians, Italians and Koreans because they have particularly amusing dialogue but the Chinese, Jamaican, Irish, Hispanic, Black and both biker gangs are all great too. As far as missions and storyline go the Russian gangs and Irish Mob are awesome, don't know if they're really underrated as I think most people like them a lot but I couldn't rate them highly enough. I think Italian gangs in the storyline are somewhat overrated, there's just a bit too much of them in GTA and I don't find most of the Italian Mafia characters they write that unique or interesting.

An underrated gang in V is the Armenian gang. It's their own fault for not featuring them in the storyline, but they're my favourite gang to run into and mess with on the street. Families and Ballas are overrated, they're cool enough but don't really deserve the huge amount of attention and hype they get compared to other gangs.

Underrated: All Italian and Russian Mafia families in GTA IV as well as the Yardies (who are Jamaican) and the McReary crime family (who are Irish).

Edited by naniakay
  • Like 2

Underrated: Triads- CTW and SA version

During the events of CTW they seemed to wield considerable influence in Liberty City,to the point of almost appearing as powerful as the commission iirc. In San Andreas too Woozie and the boys seemed like a cool bunch and I like how they expanded their influence from San Fierro to Venturas and got one up on the Leones dominating there. Deserve to be talked about more imo

Overrated: Forellis

For a gang that appears in almost every 3d era GTA,you'd think they would have a large influence but they just kept getting wrecked by practically everybody. Even in VC where they were arguably at their strongest ,they just sat and let Tommy gain control of Vice City until it was too late,and then got wrecked as usual.

• 7 months later...
Limefong

Overrated: The Forellis

Underrated: The Lost MC, the Diablos, the Yardies in GTA IV and the Families

• Like 2
GhettoJesus

Overrated: I guess every gang that the protagonist is in could go straight here

Underrated: Yardies, Jacks/Nines, Diablos, Sharks, probably a couple gangs in IV considering I don't remember too much of them.

• Like 1
Niobium
On 12/7/2019 at 4:53 PM, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

Underrated:

• Rascalov Bratva (HD universe) - Once Dimitri took over after taking Mikhail out, he managed to expand the syndicate's power and operation so much, turning it into a big-time crime organization, as opposed to the humble presence under Faustin's leadership. Given events such as ambushing Niko in a warehouse, burning Roman's apartment and cab depot, kidnapping the latter, ambushing the Gambettis (which is the most powerful among the Italian Mafia's crime families in Liberty City), and more, they are a very intimidating syndicate. Not to mention the fact that they also play a role in the subplot of the heroin pack.

man, the fact that niko is directly responsible for dimitri's rise to power and the growth of his mafia makes dimitri an even bigger piece of sh*t than i realized. f*ck that spineless rat

• Like 1
ChengizVlad09

Don't really know what's overrated or underrated in that department or in the sense the question was asked, but Rockstar's approach towards the gangs in general is negligible for sure. What I assumed from the very start, which could be the wrong assumption nonetheless, but I'm pretty certain I'm right, was the thought that GTA as a franchise supposed to be a kind of a 'crime simulator' and what better way is to portray that particular fact but through gangs, followed by breathing in some sort of life to them, adding some systems and mechanics, characteristic behaviours, a smart(er)design behind it all. Free-roam gameplay tied to this particular aspect is sometimes almost non-existent, or at very least, boring with more of the same stuff, looking back at the franchise these 12 years or so.

The issue with gangs in this exact field greatly reflects the all around problem the entire franchise suffers from: not enough engagement in free-roam gameplay. Almost everything gang related is being designed to happen through the nature of scripted missions and is unequivocally based on appearance only. Tons of (good )lines of text, with tons of models are dedicated to gangs, while nothing smart is bound to happen there. Kill them all, then move on, they are sitting ducks anyway, they happen to be though narratively wise, exclusively.

There's no doubt that Rockstar has shifted their focus to show everybody how they have matured in story telling, which is probably carried with the notion of decreased attention to gangs. Gangs aren't even secondary anymore, just like the gameplay. There's a certain feeling they are a bit frightened to show their commitment to this aspect, maybe because it's hard to advertise it properly, where 90 percent of their effort is pushed in marketing, while other 10 percent in milking the working force, anyway - especially in these retarded times, pardon my french and if you are by some chance offended by that word, then f#ck off.

Damn, if you remember GTA 2 and 'respect system' that game has, that's exactly the starting point I always thought the franchise will take off of when talking about these kind of things. It was smart, engaging and next to having freedom to openly roam where ever you wanted, it was the single most inovative gameplay thing, probably still is.There had been a thought that Rockstar was actually bound by the technology of the time, only to be discovered they are actually bound artistically as well as politically, so to say, e.g; SA Gang Wars, a beautiful idea, that wasn't so polished in technical sense, but was still pretty decent gameplay add-on. Subjectively, they are going down the hill fast, it's just that financial markers are still showing otherwise, luckily, but that's completely different pair of shoes.

Do you remember how violent gangs in 3D Universe games were? That's another thing that has been lost over time and another thing I always thought was a defining part of the franchise. Part, where you would naturally assume will continue and not only that, but to eventually be upgraded. Since I'm being a harsh critique, I would like to give a simple example of how I see things could have got even more violent, chaotic, interesting, challenging, simply put, more fun. A simple example, that's all.

Without getting too technical, or going into great detail, just imagine instead of having gang members shoot on sight every time they see you rolling through their neighborhood - they still could, just not every time though - they could organize some kind of ambush, with road blocks, bunch of them armed to the teeth getting ready to properly waste us in somewhat more organized fashion. For things to be even more interesting, why not include the police as well, so when we start fighting back, the cops would be engaged also. But this time around there would be no wanted level for us only, or at least no wanted level as we know it. We could 'freely' open fire at everybody engaged in this particular scenario. Police would open fire on that gang, on us as well, it would be chaos on the street. We are talking about 10, 20 heavily armed police officers, the same amount of gang members, with bunch of cars as well. We would receive a ' potential 3 more or less - ' blinking ' stars - that indicate we have to escape from a certain area if we want to get rid of the heat. It would be further indicated by some kind of a timer, or similar. We could as well try to escape without any engagement if we are skilled enough drivers to evade heavy fire or road blocks or simply try to get out of the way just a little bit and enjoy the magnificant encounter between the police and the gang in question.

I don't know, it's not much, it's just a though, but it's seems like a starting idea. I simply refuse to acknowledge or give them credit for making something stupid, stale, trivial, boring, meaningless and ultimately grindy as ' random encounters ' we see in their games. They are merely filling in the empty space with stuff like that for past decade or so, it is so lame. Be stopped by somebody, take their quest, kill everyone around, drive/ride from point A to point B - which is usually a greater distance - then, repeat. It hurts, man. There need to be some kind of options, some form of a smarter design, every class of pedestrians needs to appear as having mind of their own. If gangs are involved in arms trafficking, that gang is highly skilled with using weapons, but some other gang might as well be involved in the same activity and still present a lesser danger, for some concrete reason, said, mentioned or otherwise. Some gangs would like more to engage in a melee or fist fighting. Regular peds would probably run away from the conflict, some would gladly take their chances. Adding some nuances, clearly making something different from something else. Surprising us. For the company that's marketing their games with " living, breathing worlds " they seem not only comatose to me, but stupid as well...

Edited by ChengizVlad09
  • Like 2
universetwisters

The Lost and the Families are p overrated imo. Doesn't help that they both have crazy af fanatics hyping them up long after their relevance.

The most underrated gang imo are the Vice City golfers. 

14 hours ago, universetwisters said:

The most underrated gang imo are the Vice City golfers.

Not even the most underrated gang in Vice City when you have the Vice City shoppers. Only gang to be mostly non violent, now that's what I call underrated

• 5 months later...

Overrated - The Families (3D universe) and The Leones

Underrated - Vance Crime Family and Varrios Los Aztecas

Thelema93

Overrated: The Lost.. Definitely Lost and definitely forgotten..

Grove Street. No wonder Smoke sold em out to the Ballas. Apart from sweet they're all piss weak. They can't even defend the territory without superhero gangbanger CJ coming to the rescue.. Ballas running the street in 2013 seems fitting. 

Underated. Uptown riders. Franklin's og outfits look sick.. 

O'Neil brothers. Love the little sideplot in V. And They're surprisingly competent, For a bunch of inbred dimwits anyway..they tracked down Trevor and won the Chinese contract didn't they? 

Russian Mafia. Bunch of scary f*ckers. Not quite as formidable as the Ballas but they're up there with the best gangs in GTA. I want a Russian Mafia game so bad..