• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yoječ

• sivispacem

• Wolf68k

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So a 1650 Super is "recommended spec". That's for 1080p high with no RT, but for what FPS nobody really knows. You're basically between minimum and recommended so I'd probably try Medium to start and

Today Chrome stopped displaying most text and a few images, don't think I did anything out of the ordinary on my end to cause this  - tried disable extensions, clearing cache and cookies, reinstalling

Adobe Acrobat is for PDF, IIRC. If you aren't making PDF files and use something else for viewing them, like Chrome, you probably don't need it running on the background. Adobe Genuine is most likely

As I'm sure a few of you know, my Nvidia card died a few weeks ago. Got my 6870 today. Installed the drivers and everything is working fine, except for the fact that I cannot remove the Nvidia driver. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of it, but whenever I click uninstall it does nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

The driver being available to the system isn't going to hurt anything. The driver itself wont run unless there's a compatible card installed. There are thousands of drivers preloaded into windows that never run unless you happen to install that specific hardware They don't hurt anything.

Deleting 'C:\nvidia' will delete all of the installation and setup files associated with nvidia, though the driver itself and software will remain.

It's still pointless to have the driver there if it's not needed. The method I stated removes the driver completely.

Thus the driver itself will not in fact remain as it is permanently removed. So I said delete C:\nvidia just to clean up other unneeded Nvidia junk.

His question wasn't "does the driver run without the card installed?" It was "how do I remove the driver?" therefore I answered his question and gave him more ideas if he wants to get rid of everything Nvidia related.

Also, no, these "thousands of preloaded drivers that never run unless you happen to install that specific hardware" are not in fact already installed. Whereas the Nvidia drivers are in fact installed. Using the method I mentioned you're not going to see those "thousands of preloaded drivers" in the Device Manager. What you will see though, is the leftover Nvidia driver.

leik oh em jeez!

I love how everyone looks for ways to argue with me.

Thus the driver itself will not in fact remain as it is permanently removed.

Did I ever say your method didn't remove the driver? No.

So I said delete C:\nvidia just to clean up other unneeded Nvidia junk.

All I did was explain what was there. Why you repeating both of us?

His question wasn't "does the driver run without the card installed?" It was "how do I remove the driver?" therefore I answered his question and gave him more ideas if he wants to get rid of everything Nvidia related.

I explained to him how it works so that he can use his own judgement to decide whether or not it's worth going through the effort for each part of the uninstall, rather than blindly following the direction of others without understanding it. Teach a man to fish as they say.

And if you JUST want to talk about what he specifically asked for, he didn't ask how to remove the installation files.

Also, no, these "thousands of preloaded drivers that never run unless you happen to install that specific hardware" are not in fact already installed.

They in fact, are installed. They aren't loaded or assigned to hardware but they are installed in the system. That's why a lot of common hardware doesn't require you to download or install drivers.

Please, get over yourself and stop looking for excuses to try and prove others wrong in some f*cktard attempt to make yourslef look like a genius. You act like you've been spending too much time with Wolf.

As I'm sure a few of you know, my Nvidia card died a few weeks ago. Got my 6870 today. Installed the drivers and everything is working fine, except for the fact that I cannot remove the Nvidia driver. I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of it, but whenever I click uninstall it does nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Main thing that matters is that the graphics driver is uninstalled.

Click start, type "cmd," press CTRL + Shift + Enter, type "set devmgr show_nonpresent_devices=1," type "start devmgmt.msc," click "view, show hidden devices," click "display adapters," right-click the nvidia driver, click uninstall, click "delete driver software for this device."

As for the rest of the nvidia related stuff, delete C:\Nvidia, and maybe use Driver Sweeper or Driver Cleaner if you're worried about the rest. Other main thing is just disabling NVIDIA services and auto startups. Can use Autoruns for that.

Didn't work. Only thing showing in the device manager is the ATI driver.

If I can't get it remove, no big deal. I know it's not going to do anything since there's no Nvidia card there, but still, no point in having it here here if it's not being used.

Big whoop, the only way that the thousands of generic drivers are "installed" is the fact that they reside on the hard disk. They're not actually installed. That's like saying I "installed" a photo on my computer so I could look at it.

Anyway, if it's not showing up in the device manager after doing exactly what I listed, then there is no Nvidia (display) driver installed. It might still be on the HDD somewhere, but no big deal unless you're hurting for space. In that case I recommend TreeSize Free to find the space hogs.

So now the only things to look for are Nvidia programs that run on startup, and services/etc. Use Autoruns to disable them.

leik oh em jeez!
Big whoop, the only way that the thousands of generic drivers are "installed" is the fact that they reside on the hard disk. They're not actually installed. That's like saying I "installed" a photo on my computer so I could look at it.

It's actually nothing like that. Like I said, they're installed, but not running or assigned to hardware. When adding new hardware if you install the driver manually, you browse through all of those drivers when looking for yours. A photo and a driver don't at all work the same way so that's an entirely invalid comparison.

I love how you try to play it off like it's nothing now that you know you're wrong, but before you were willing to post for no reason other than to tell me I'm wrong and make a big deal about it.

It's actually nothing like that. Like I said, they're installed, but not running or assigned to hardware. When adding new hardware if you install the driver manually, you browse through all of those drivers when looking for yours. A photo and a driver don't at all work the same way so that's an entirely invalid comparison.

I love how you try to play it off like it's nothing now that you know you're wrong, but before you were willing to post for no reason other than to tell me I'm wrong and make a big deal about it.

Yeah, that's why it installs drivers when you hook it up. It's installing drivers that are already "installed." Try again.

leik oh em jeez!

Yeah, that's why it installs drivers when you hook it up. It's installing drivers that are already "installed." Try again.

It's assigning the drivers to a device and loading the drivers that are already installed on the system.

Keep it coming son.

It's assigning the drivers to a device and loading the drivers that are already installed on the system.

Keep it coming son.

What you just described is the act of INSTALLING. Wow, just wow. The drivers aren't already "installed" on the system. They're just sitting there on the hard disk. They are no more installed than the drivers you download from the Internet are before you install them. The only difference is that the drivers "pre loaded" with windows are already in the %windir%\system32\DRIVERS or %windir%\SysWoW64 or %windir%\system32. Same thing would occur if one were to uninstall Nvidia drivers without deleting them. THEY'RE UNINSTALLED AKA NOT INSTALLED, however if you were to reconnect an Nvidia card to the machine it would AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL the card with the driver already there rather than asking you for one. It's not rocket science.

EDIT: Oh, and "son?" What are you, 11?

leik oh em jeez!

Installing the card and installing the driver are not the same thing. Installing is the very process of putting the files in the correct place and format they need to be in in order to run, and that's what's done.

And no, if I were 11, I would have said "bro"

Installing the card and installing the driver are not the same thing. Installing is the very process of putting the files in the correct place and format they need to be in in order to run, and that's what's done.

Now you're just being idiotic. The drivers sit there never used until you install (or plug in) whatever device that it has to install the proper drivers for. They are not sitting in Device Manager ready for use. If it's not in Device Manager, then NO it is NOT installed. For f*cks sake I would have thought you would know something so basic.

leik oh em jeez!

Now you're just being idiotic. The drivers sit there never used until you install (or plug in) whatever device that it has to install the proper drivers for. They are not sitting in Device Manager ready for use. If it's not in Device Manager, then NO it is NOT installed. For f*cks sake I would have thought you would know something so basic.

Device manager lists hardware installed, and the drivers loaded for that hardware, not all of the drivers on the system. Hardware =/= driver

Saying the drivers aren't installed is more along the lines of saying Photoshop installs itself every time I open it.

Edited by leik oh em jeez!

Device manager lists hardware installed, and the drivers loaded for that hardware, not all of the drivers on the system. Hardware =/= driver

Saying the drivers aren't installed is more along the lines of saying Photoshop installs itself every time I open it.

Uhh no. That's why you can uninstall/update DRIVERS through device manager. That doesn't automatically uninstall the hardware from the machine. So please, try again.

leik oh em jeez!

A default low level driver is usually loaded before you install your own drivers. And even if no drivers are found, the hardware is still displayed. And will continue to display even after you remove the driver.

So please tell me how ANYTHING you said conflicts with ANYTHING in my previous post. With the last post you're only arguing with yourself.

When you INSTALL Photoshop, you're placing all of the files where they need to be and in the correct format to be loaded properly and ran by the system, just like the drivers included with Windows already are.

You then RUN Photoshop similar to the way Windows loads a driver.

UNINSTALLED, both Photoshop and the driver would be in their respective single exe/msi/rar/zip/whatever file, stored, but not in the correct place or format needed to be run.

Drivers can be "in the correct format" all you want, but if you don't install them, then the hardware that they are designed for will not function. Windows just makes it easier by automatically installing drivers (already located in the aforementioned places) when hardware related to those drivers is hooked up. The unneeded drivers are not "installed" and as far as Windows is concerned, they do not exist. Doesn't mean that the drivers are "installed" just because they are there. When you uninstall in Device Manager, you are uninstalling the driver for the hardware (duh.) Doesn't matter if they are still there "in the correct format" or not, they are uninstalled. When you tell Windows to "delete the software for this device" you are doing just that, deleting the software (which obviously that's what drivers are) for the device. Just the same as when you install drivers, they show up in Device Manager as whatever hardware you are installing. Not that complicated. I think you just don't want to admit that you are using the wrong terminology.

Edited by SyphonPayne
friendly luggage

Have any of you had the problem of your mouse shooting to a corner of your screen randomly? It's very annoying while I'm playing a game because I'll be aiming at someone and then I'll just look up at the sky. It doesn't just happen in games by the way and this problem was on my old PC with the same Dell mouse.

EDIT

I don't have any other mice.

Have any of you had the problem of your mouse shooting to a corner of your screen randomly? It's very annoying while I'm playing a game because I'll be aiming at someone and then I'll just look up at the sky. It doesn't just happen in games by the way and this problem was on my old PC with the same Dell mouse.

EDIT

You've kinda answered your own question... it's your mouse.

Probably time to invest in a new one, which is hardly surprising these days considering how much a mouse goes through now.

I lack a USB mouse or keyboard at the moment, in transit. However, I have a Bluetooth Dell keyboard and would love a BT mouse, I'd prefer that to any USB or PS/2 one! For sure

I got a serious question this time, On a Satellite dish, is it clouds or physical debris on the dish that disrupts the signal? We had and have still, some major rain event the past 12 hours, for long minutes at a time, the signal on the Sat receiver went out, and my brother thinks it's clouds causing that, not the rain hitting the dish. My idea would be to position protection from falling debris around the actual dish and it's receptors if that would help keep it's signal path clear.

@Illegal, I have had the on screen pointer shoot up to the left or lower right corner on my Latitude Dells, they use a keyboard positioned pointer that just doesn't connect to the mobo all that well, if they fail in such a manner, I cut the ribbon cable that connects them. Using the palmrest touchpad instead, as I normally do, I am bummed that it can't serve as a backup though, if the touchpad fails. They connect at different Entry Points

Edited by Slamman

Right, a question for other tech bods. My PSU (PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad) just exploded (!) in a cloud of black smoke somewhat akin to a small oil tanker fire. It's definitely the PSU gone pop, as it stinks of burnt metal and plastic. My question to you is quite simply- I've tried to boot again and there's definitely some kind of life in there, but I'm largely unsure of how much (motherboard lights are coming on, but it won't boot or post); statistically, what do you reckon the chances of this little calamity having fried my motherboard are? It's all under warranty still I think, but it's currently a dual-use work/recreation PC and I'd like to be able to take an educated guess at how long it will be till all is back up and running.

Answers on a postcard, and no Slamman please- with all due respect (AKA none), these parts are far too new for you to know about.

Theoretically a proper brand PSU would never damage any components. But there's always a sligth chance that something might have burned along with the PSU.

I got a serious question this time, On a Satellite dish, is it clouds or physical debris on the dish that disrupts the signal? We had and have still, some major rain event the past 12 hours, for long minutes at a time, the signal on the Sat receiver went out, and my brother thinks it's clouds causing that, not the rain hitting the dish. My idea would be to position protection from falling debris around the actual dish and it's receptors if that would help keep it's signal path clear.

It wouldn't be clouds, as they have no real density to block a satellite signal. Debris on the dish, if you are talking things like twigs, leaves, newspapers, things that basically can get thrown around in a storm, depending on their quantity and scatter on the dish would probably not cause that much interference.

Rain however in a dense enough form can, because the density of rain can effectively act like a barrier to a signal, if you ever watch the weather and have seen Doppler radars then this will give you an idea. The same can be said with a Thunderstorm as the bolt of lightning can effect the signal due to the sheer electro-magnetic charge that it throws out. Even light showers can alter the signal as in the right form it can act like a prism for the signal and distort it.

You can put a fine mesh around a satellite dish, as long as it made from non-conductive material (eg plastics or natural fibers) and is thin enough to not block the signal path. However this is generally not needed as dishes are generally that open enough anyway that you wouldn't need to do this.

EDIT @sivispacem: as yojo2 said plus you wouldn't get a post beep if you are still trying your PSU as there wouldn't be enough voltage for it to even run properly. I would probably advised getting a new PSU, because even if the Motherboard is fried, then you'd still need to get a new PSU anyway.

Edited by Gareth Croke
Theoretically a proper brand PSU would never damage any components. But there's always a sligth chance that something might have burned along with the PSU.

Which is a comfort, as PCPC were (at a time) regarded as amongst the best out there, and are still pretty highly rated as far as I can tell. That's what I though- I reckon the over-voltage tripped before the thing blew anyway because the system restarted itself. If anything did go, it would be my motherboard which is a shame but not really that much of an issue as I was looking to replace it anyway.

Will wait and see what PCPC say. I know they're part of OCZ these days but hopefully they'll be a bit better with their RMA procedure than OCZ were- especially seen as it's evidently the PSU that's died. Right, now do we rebuild it as it was, or make it bigger, better, faster and cooler than before?

@sivis

Did you have an extension cable with surge protection?

Yep, but that didn't trip. I don't think it was caused by an external surge- pretty sure it was a capacitor failure seen as there's bits of that nasty brown-red capacitor fluid all over the rear air vent and external casing. I reckon it was just one nearing the end of it's life- it's a three-and-a-bit-year-old PSU that's had a pretty tough life in terms of usage hours, exposure to dust/dirt ect.

I lack a USB mouse or keyboard at the moment, in transit. However, I have a Bluetooth Dell keyboard and would love a BT mouse, I'd prefer that to any USB or PS/2 one! For sure

@Illegal, I have had the on screen pointer shoot up to the left or lower right corner on my Latitude Dells, they use a keyboard positioned pointer that just doesn't connect to the mobo all that well, if they fail in such a manner, I cut the ribbon cable that connects them. Using the palmrest touchpad instead, as I normally do, I am bummed that it can't serve as a backup though, if the touchpad fails. They connect at different Entry Points

It depends on what band this satellite dish is looking at. The Ku/Ka bands are the ones susceptible to "rain fade." C band is not. Dish Network uses Ku, DirecTV uses Ku + Ka for HD. Ka is even more susceptible to rain fade than Ku. It's actually clouds that create "rain fade." The tons of droplets in the clouds attenuate the signal, due to the wavelength of the band. Droplets that are ~1cm are the worst. That is why it can be pouring rain and you still have a signal, as if the rain (clouds) is directly above you, and say you are looking at 119W, well, you're looking southwest (at least from where I live) which is not covered in clouds. The main clouds that cause issues are the huge thunderheads. Regular rain clouds for the most part do not affect Ku enough to cause significant attenuation. For the most part, small debris shouldn't collect on the dish. The only time you really need to put a garbage bag or something over the dish is if you have problems with snow sticking to the dish.

The best way to try and avoid rain fade is to have the dish properly peaked on a clear day. The higher your signal on a good day, the more leeway you have for attenuation caused by the rain clouds.

EDIT

I had an old dell mouse that did that. Was definitely the mouse. You can get a new optical USB mouse for pretty cheap.

Right, a question for other tech bods. My PSU (PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad) just exploded (!) in a cloud of black smoke somewhat akin to a small oil tanker fire. It's definitely the PSU gone pop, as it stinks of burnt metal and plastic. My question to you is quite simply- I've tried to boot again and there's definitely some kind of life in there, but I'm largely unsure of how much (motherboard lights are coming on, but it won't boot or post); statistically, what do you reckon the chances of this little calamity having fried my motherboard are? It's all under warranty still I think, but it's currently a dual-use work/recreation PC and I'd like to be able to take an educated guess at how long it will be till all is back up and running.

Answers on a postcard, and no Slamman please- with all due respect (AKA none), these parts are far too new for you to know about.

I've had several PSUs blow up on machines that I've worked with. One blew up, it was so loud that my ear was mildly ringing. So far, not a single PSU (even the cheap ass ones) has fried a motherboard yet. One thing's for sure, I definitely wouldn't try to power it back on with the blown PSU. I'd unplug it ASAP.

leik oh em jeez!

Drivers can be "in the correct format" all you want, but if you don't install them, then the hardware that they are designed for will not function.

What you're really saying is that the drivers can be installed, but unless they are assigned to a device and loaded, the respective hardware will not function.

Windows just makes it easier by automatically installing drivers (already located in the aforementioned places) when hardware related to those drivers is hooked up.

Windows makes it easier by automatically assigning the preinstalled drivers to the hardware and loading them.

The unneeded drivers are not "installed" and as far as Windows is concerned, they do not exist.

Yes, they are installed, and according to Windows, they do exist. They are just not in use, like a program that's installed but not running. Here, let's ask device manager since it knows more about itself than either of us:

user posted image

Doesn't mean that the drivers are "installed" just because they are there.

Device manager says they're installed, by the definition of "intsalled" ("Place or fix (equipment or machinery) in position ready for use" if you were wondering) they're installed.

When you uninstall in Device Manager, you are uninstalling the driver for the hardware (duh.)

This is one of those times when Microsoft uses an incorrect term because it's easier to understand. When you 'uninstall' a program, it's no longer there. The driver, however, is still there and ready for use. So by definition, it's installed.

Doesn't matter if they are still there "in the correct format" or not, they are uninstalled.

According to the definition of installed, they are still installed.

When you tell Windows to "delete the software for this device" you are doing just that, deleting the software (which obviously that's what drivers are) for the device.

Wrong. When you click "Uninstall" on a device, windows preps the device to be physically removed by unloading the driver. You are not deleting the driver, as it's still there, ready for use. And chances are it will again be automatically loaded if you click "scan for hardware changes"

Just the same as when you install drivers, they show up in Device Manager as whatever hardware you are installing. Not that complicated.

You just compared something, to itself. No variable. That's like saying "Pizza, you know. Same thing as pizza."

Way to go there man.

Device manager lists hardware installed, and lets you manage the drivers for it.

I think you just don't want to admit that you are using the wrong terminology.

Quite the contrary. I've provided evidence and definitions that all support me and my terminology as being 100% correct. You on the other hand, have only compared somthing to itself as evidence, as if that proves some point better than just saying it the first time.

@sivispacem: You didn't specify, but I'm just going to assume you are using a new known working PSU that meets the requirements to power your system.

Something that happens to me quite often is if there's more than one GPU installed, or bad RAM, the system will turn on but never give any form of display. Finding and removing the bad RAM or taking out the extra GPUs until the BIOS has been configured for the current setup has always worked for me in the past.

Another thing would just be the commonly overlooked mistakes that we all make such as forgetting to plug in the GPU power connector or the 4/6/8 pin CPU power connector. Just to be sure, I'd re-seat all of your connectors and RAM, double and then tripple check them, and see where that gets you if running single (or JUST onboard graphics if you have it, though I'd try it both ways) GPU and single stick of RAM doesn't do anything.

If you none of that helps, get on the RMA ASAP. I had a monitor break on me one time. I waited a few months before I bothered to mess with it, and it then turned out that the 3 year warranty had ended only a month after the monitor had broken, but had already passed.

Also had a power supply turn itself into a flamethrower one time. All of the hardware was fine except for the fact that the system would no longer keep it's BIOS configuration when unplugged.

I like how your own pictures contradict your statements. Notice on the second screen it says "select the device driver you want to install for this hardware." DING DING DING. The first picture is just the "simplified" description using the wrong terminology. If the driver is already installed, then why does it want you to select a device driver to install? That's what I thought. I also like how you neglected to show the screen right before the first screen, that states "locate and install driver software." So here, I'll put it up.

user posted image

So that's 2 screens that contradict your one incorrect screen.

leik oh em jeez!

I love how you f*cking ignore everything that proves you wrong, facts that DIRECTLY contradict what you say without question, and the very definition of installed.

Notice on the second screen it says "select the device driver you want to install for this hardware."

That's the simplifies part, because your average user wont understand "Install drivers, assign them to your own hardware, and then load or unload them through device manager."

For someone new to installing hardware, that would be quite complicated and would be in need of simplification, so Microsoft simplified it. That is a logical simplification. It uses reason, not bullsh*t.

If the driver is already installed, then why does it want you to select a device driver to install?

Is that question supposed to prove a point? I could reverse the question and use it against you, you realize that right? No, of course you don't. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted that to begin with. So I'll demonstrate.

If the driver is not installed or known to exist by device manager, how could device manager not only acknowledge its existence, but give s apecific list of supported hardware and list it as installed?

I also like how you neglected to show the screen right before the first screen, that states "locate and install driver software." So here, I'll put it up.

That's all fine and dandy but in the case that the driver isn't preinstalled (it usually isn't if you have to assign it manually) you would indeed have to locate an uninstalled INF and install it before it will be detected as installed and ready for use by Windows.

So, your picture proves absolutely nothing.

So that's 2 screens that contradict your one incorrect screen.

No, it's still 0 that prove me wrong, 1 that logically supports my points, 1 that directly supports my points, and 1 that covers what no one is arguing as being installing, so therefor means nothing to the topic at hand.

Would you like to give it one more try and play for double or nothing, or do you want to quit before you make a complete fool of yourself?

Don't forget that the description you gave for what you claim are "uninstalled" files perfectly fit the description of something that is installed.

Of course Windows sees them when it's looking for them, again, doesn't mean they're installed. Windows just has a few specific directories that it looks for drivers in. You can't just place a driver in there and call it "installed." If Windows isn't using the driver, then it's as good as uninstalled. It's just a file sitting on the HDD. I've only said that a thousand f*cking times.

Just forget it. Keep using the wrong terminology, I really don't give a sh*t.

Edited by SyphonPayne

@sivispacem: You didn't specify, but I'm just going to assume you are using a new known working PSU that meets the requirements to power your system.

Something that happens to me quite often is if there's more than one GPU installed, or bad RAM, the system will turn on but never give any form of display. Finding and removing the bad RAM or taking out the extra GPUs until the BIOS has been configured for the current setup has always worked for me in the past.

Another thing would just be the commonly overlooked mistakes that we all make such as forgetting to plug in the GPU power connector or the 4/6/8 pin CPU power connector. Just to be sure, I'd re-seat all of your connectors and RAM, double and then tripple check them, and see where that gets you if running single (or JUST onboard graphics if you have it, though I'd try it both ways) GPU and single stick of RAM doesn't do anything.

Naa, I'm posting from my laptop at the moment. PC has been entirely dismantled.

Basically, after one of the PSU capacitors decided to excrete it's innards all over the inside (and some of the outside) of it's case, I disconnected the power supply completed. Took out all the auxiliary connections so it was just PSU and motherboard/CPU and tried to boot again. The lights showing power connection on the motherboard came on, and all the bench test buttons lit up, but the system wouldn't boot, either from the standard power button on the on-board one. That's happened previously when something has tripped the PSU's surge protection- which I suppose is a good sign in terms of keeping component parts alive.

I don't have a spare PSU to test with (I've got a 500W OCZ jobbie lurking around somewhere but it's too low a wattage to power the entire system and I think it's broken anyway) and I don't have onboard graphics of any description. I've sent an RMA request, but it's probably going to cost me roughly the value of the damn thing to send it back for replacement and to be honest I'm planning an upgrade soon anyway so I might just use it as an opportunity to gradually start a new build. Thinking of dropping in an H100, some extra RAM and possibly going SLI anyway, but to do the latter I'll need to upgrade my motherboard to something AM3+ with native SLI support really.

In "new PSU" stakes, the CoolMaster Silent Pro Gold looks like it's topping my list. Any other recommendations?

Edited by sivispacem