• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yoječ

• sivispacem

• Wolf68k

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So a 1650 Super is "recommended spec". That's for 1080p high with no RT, but for what FPS nobody really knows. You're basically between minimum and recommended so I'd probably try Medium to start and

You say the PCI-E WiFi adapter seems unrelated, but maybe not because they're probably sharing a PCI-E lane (although I'm not sure how that works with older Intel CPUs/mobos). Have you tried removing

I just built a new PC, and needed a new windows activation key.  I bought one on G2A, a site I've used tonnes of times and never had a single issue, entered the code into windows and even tried o

What much RAM do you have now?

If you have less than 2 GB already then Win7 would perform better with the addition of 2GB to whatever you already have.

ReadyBoost is a feature that lets you use a USB stick to store some virtual memory. This can be helpful with systems using a standard HDD, however for systems with a SSD for the OS it's pretty much pointless

I've 2GB RAM.

@Exxon

Can you explain that better? What exactly are you trying to do?

I know this much, Slamman is as usual babbling. The music is grouped using the ID3 tag information.

I have yet to figure out how WMP allows you to edit the tag info, but then that's also partly because I avoid using it for the most part. I prefer using MP3Tag or iTunes (because I have an iPhone).

The stuff on the right is part of a playlist and you can't just move the playlist to be part of the library of whatever group you want it to be. If that's what you're getting at.

I want it so that the songs at the right are at the same group as those on the left, do they just automatically go there or what?

Making playlist's is not what I'm getting at.

PS: Not a bad taste of music for a 14-year-old, eh? smile.gif

EDIT

Is there a possibility of adding a non-Steam copy of IV to Steam?

I can't get that to work turn.gif

Edited by Exxon

I would like to purchase apps that cost money in my new phone (Nokia Lumia 800) but I don't want to use a credit card. They do not sell zune pre-paid cards in the UK but will a Microsoft Points Card be the only alternative?

Why when I try reinstall W7 on my Dads laptop does all the features look bog. It looks like it's in Safe Mode sad.gif

Bog sounds to me like it's bloated? Do you mean text seems too large?

Graphics seems off? I've not noticed what you're talking about and I've used Win7, do you have an issue with what version you have, 64 bit or 32 bit? CPU must be up to running 64 bit.

Ah, I missed the "Reinstall" bit, If you get your Welcome control panel you can check if resources are being limited, but I must admit, I'm more familiar checking problems in XP

Edited by Slamman

Hey man. It's a 64bit laptop.. The definition looks off. Everything is englarged. The only display settings I can set it to are 800 x 600 and 1024 x something. Argh! Help!!

Well, check all the drivers, for one thing, despite it being the latest, greatest OS, drivers still tend to be hardware manufacturer specific.

@Exxon, ignore this "Slamman babbling" bit, I do use WMP, as I said, but I'm not sure what you mean since your graphic was still a bit crude, can you do a YT video form question perhaps? I think it's the best way to pose an issue, use video and audio!

Edited by Slamman

What am I looking for/how?

Im so f*cked. What can I do? It looks like it's in safe mode the wy everything looks but it's not in safe mode. Not all the desktop standard items appeared. Only Recycle Bin.

I need to know what to do ASAP. Why would this happen when I'm installing it from the disc??

How could it? The 7 series might out-perform the earlier 8 series nVidia, like mine, the 8600GT I'm thinking, since I ran GTA for PC on it and I was having some issues that shouldn't be.... the CPU is much more up to task, but the key for Direct X will be memory and more importantly, the GPU I believe.

TPFS; I'm somewhat at a loss, since I can only guess what it is looking like, can you present a video of the issue? I know it's somewhat involved to make a YouTube video, but I have my simple ways of doing so. (JVC HDD cameras are a Godsend for one, and Sony's D8 Handycams are the other)

Just getting the Recycle Bin on the screen is not a major issue, but it would be good to know what graphics card the hardware needs addressing, More often then not, it's either a nVidia or ATI driver for the task, and selecting their newer driver packages is determined by the card vintage. Intel's own graphics are typically not a problem for Windows, the whole Wintel thing, you know?

It's also possible that Intel has the drivers, I assume it's not the Toshiba you were talking about before (your own machine)?

If you can, show the spec sheet on that, what version Windows 7, and did it come with the computer? Assuming so, there should also be a drivers disc, off the bat, it's something to inform us about, in getting a diagnostic down without a hands-on approach

Edited by Slamman

@Exxon

The stuff on the right looks like the playlist.

The stuff on the left, that you were pointing to, is your library. The stuff there is sorted by the ID3 tag info.

The playlist is made by the things in your library.

If some reason you have things in that playlist that aren't showing up correctly, as you expect them to, in the library then you need to edit the ID3 tag.

Example: in the playlist the first 2 items are "Graceland" and "Late in the Evening". In the library I see "Graceland" is a Paul Simon song as is "Late in the Evening". It could be that you've loaded a playlist file but don't have that file.

To you Steam question. Yes you can add a shortcut of non-Steam games to Steam, but that doesn't mean the game itself is the Steam version.

To do that open your Steam Library, go to the Games menu and select "Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library" from there it'll list all of the programs installed or you can browse to the game itself and select it's exe. You can even name it however you want it to appear in Steam. This name will also be what your friends see you playing.

Want to have some fun? Add some game or even just notepad, but name it the same as some game you and your friends are waiting to come out. Before BF3 was a public beta I had a friend do that with something, to which the rest of us tripped out, although I called her bluff because I already knew the trick.

@Jules14

2GB of RAM with Win7 you should be fine, more couldn't hurt.

@ThePinkFloydSound

What are the specs of the laptop?

@Method

No, you'll be fine.

@Slamman

The 7 series might out-perform the earlier 8 series nVidia

Holy crap, understatement of the month.

You do know there have been at least 3-4 series of nVidia and ATI cards that came out since that crappy 8600GT, right? And you do know that the AMD HD7 series is the latest?

And please, enough with the Youtube crap.

Hey Slamman and Wolf68k I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Product LineFujitsu LIFEBOOK

Processor Speed 2.13 GHz

Installed Memory 4 GB

Hard Drive Capacity 320 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition

When I say it looks like it's in safe mode, I mean it all looks magnified and the graphics look sh*t. I cant find a network and when I checked device manager there was some exclamation marks beside some things. I'll find out.

Is it because I tried to re-install windows when windows was installed? I'm baffled. I'm also not so computer-savvy as you guys know.

@Slamman: Good memory. My Toshiba laptop HDD failed. I need to replace it. Im gonna buy a data recovery unit to plug the disk in. Think I seen one for $30. I'm now using a Macbook Pro.

@Exxon

The stuff on the right looks like the playlist.

The stuff on the left, that you were pointing to, is your library. The stuff there is sorted by the ID3 tag info.

The playlist is made by the things in your library.

If some reason you have things in that playlist that aren't showing up correctly, as you expect them to, in the library then you need to edit the ID3 tag.

Example: in the playlist the first 2 items are "Graceland" and "Late in the Evening". In the library I see "Graceland" is a Paul Simon song as is "Late in the Evening". It could be that you've loaded a playlist file but don't have that file.

To you Steam question. Yes you can add a shortcut of non-Steam games to Steam, but that doesn't mean the game itself is the Steam version.

To do that open your Steam Library, go to the Games menu and select "Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library" from there it'll list all of the programs installed or you can browse to the game itself and select it's exe. You can even name it however you want it to appear in Steam. This name will also be what your friends see you playing.

Want to have some fun? Add some game or even just notepad, but name it the same as some game you and your friends are waiting to come out. Before BF3 was a public beta I had a friend do that with something, to which the rest of us tripped out, although I called her bluff because I already knew the trick.

@Steam question:

I already knew that wink.gif but if I do that with IV it'll open the LaunchGTAIV.exe.

But, that opens the GTAIV.exe and due so I can't press Shift+Tab to open chat and stuff while playing IV turn.gif

@WMP question:

I added about 8 songs of Paul Simon (to the folder 'My Music') after having added 6 songs of him a few weeks earlier, but the problem is just that the new ones don't show up at the left.

Guess I'll just use my playlist of Paul Simon until they dó show up sigh.gif

Holy crap, understatement of the month.

Haha, nice one icon14.gif

@Wolf68k itself

But what about my taste of music?

You like it too? smile.gif

Edited by Exxon

@Jules14

ReadyBoost doesn't add RAM, it's more like a RAMdisk in a way. It's for the the virtual memory.

@ThePinkFloydSound

Any idea exactly which CPU it is?

I understand exactly what you mean that it looks like it's in SafeMode. There's no Aero graphics. It's running in Windows Basic color scheme mode.

This could be because of the graphics card that's in the laptop or because the drivers aren't installed.

Look at the bottom of the laptop, there should be a sticker with the model number on it.

While the specs you gave are ok for starters, it's just not detailed enough.

We need to know which CPU exactly and what graphics chip is being used.

As for the network and other yellow triangles in the device manager, again this is because of missing drivers. For those you'll need to go the laptop maker's website and see if they have drivers for that laptop that supports Win7. Which is something you should have done before installing the OS, because it's possible that they don't have any drivers that do support Vista or Win7 more so if that laptop originally came with XP (before any service packs).

So I upgraded my old 4000 series AMD card to an XFX HD6870. Before installing it I removed CCC. Installed the gpu, installed CCC for the 6870. Played GTA IV beautifully. Messed up that GTA installation so I reinstalled, now I'm constantly getting lock ups which result in a message from windows stating the and drivers crashed and have been "successfuly recovered" and I can keep playing for another few minutes until it does it again.

I did the whole boot into safe mode, use driver sweeper and reinstall drivers... still having the issue. Any recommendations? Close to returning it and getting an Nvidia card to avoid driver problems.

Edited by Pico
I would like to purchase apps that cost money in my new phone (Nokia Lumia 800) but I don't want to use a credit card. They do not sell zune pre-paid cards in the UK but will a Microsoft Points Card be the only alternative?

I tried MS Points but they don't work, just wanted to let you know.

Perhaps Paypal? Here you can get all sorts of online credits at a gas station or perhaps Rainbow Foods, but that's the USA for ya

As for GTA crashing with driver issues, since you had to reinstall, I advise making sure CCleaner or any driver CLEANING and Removing tool be run on your computer before hand, drivers can be messy business as far as scattered remnants left behind trying to upgrade or replace them.

Exxon, Wolf is trying to be clever but he's missing the point, my 8600GT was a 512MB GDDR3 for PCIe gaming, a needed step up from my prior ATIs, which were not HD series, I buy things as cheap as possible, not COST IS NO OBJECT and I advocate YouTube for demonstrating tech issues, there's absolutely no call for saying that's wrong.

The point I was posting is that the late (EARLIER!!!!!!!!) 7 series nVidia seem more noteworthy then the 8600 or any 8 series cards that released LATER!!!. Now the 8800 series has been noteworthy for a long while, but I wound up with the 8600, and looking to get an SLI on the cheap, I found and bought another Palit 8600GT, it's within Rockstar's Recommended spec, and I look at things like that when shopping

Now, PFS;

Product LineFujitsu LIFEBOOK

Processor Speed 2.13 GHz

Installed Memory 4 GB

Hard Drive Capacity 320 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition

When I say it looks like it's in safe mode, I mean it all looks magnified and the graphics look sh*t. I cant find a network and when I checked device manager there was some exclamation marks beside some things. I'll find out.

Is it because I tried to re-install windows when windows was installed? I'm baffled. I'm also not so computer-savvy as you guys know.

Still better to know if you did try formatting over Windows, for sure... at least, it could cause problems, sure.

The other thing is having specs like the model number for the laptop since there are so many products issues in the computing world, it's hard to nail them down just by brand name!

Edited by Slamman

@Exxon

Don't point Steam to run gtaiv.exe. Point it to launchgtaiv.exe or whatever the Start menu or desktop shortcuts that were created when you installed the game point to.

WMP, are the file you added in the same folder as the others?

As for you taste of music, to each their own. Mine is rather eclectic, as is my taste of other things in life, so no I don't really judge other people's choices.

@Slamman

I wasn't talking about the 7 series from nVidia. Method was asking about the 7 series from AMD, which is their newest series. And that had nothing to do with Exxon. Pay attention.

@Pico

I agree with yojo's question. Is that the only game it happens with? You've already cleaned the drivers and reinstalled [again pay attention, Slamman].

I had an issue with the first GTX560Ti I had. It was at a point were even if I didn't play any games, or anything that stressed the graphics card at all, after 1 week it would start acting up. In the end I had to RMA the card back to eVGA.

Good question.. the only other game I have installed is GTA:SA and I haven't played that yet. I'll give it a try. But I have no other graphically intense games to try. GTA IV is definitely the most demanding.

I might just try an inplace upgrade of W7 on this install, but I'd hate to deal with any registration of other apps that it might cause as it has in the past. Or I might just return it and try to get an equivalent Nvidia card. I'll report back if I can reproduce it or not in other games. That will definitely help track down the root of the issue to either GTA IV or the card/drivers.

@Jules14

ReadyBoost doesn't add RAM, it's more like a RAMdisk in a way. It's for the the virtual memory.

@ThePinkFloydSound

Any idea exactly which CPU it is?

I understand exactly what you mean that it looks like it's in SafeMode. There's no Aero graphics. It's running in Windows Basic color scheme mode.

This could be because of the graphics card that's in the laptop or because the drivers aren't installed.

Look at the bottom of the laptop, there should be a sticker with the model number on it.

While the specs you gave are ok for starters, it's just not detailed enough.

We need to know which CPU exactly and what graphics chip is being used.

As for the network and other yellow triangles in the device manager, again this is because of missing drivers. For those you'll need to go the laptop maker's website and see if they have drivers for that laptop that supports Win7. Which is something you should have done before installing the OS, because it's possible that they don't have any drivers that do support Vista or Win7 more so if that laptop originally came with XP (before any service packs).

Thanks for your informative post. I just think it's crazy. I thought, one you had the Windows disc everything was there to install properly. sad.gif

This is from a website.. I didn't see it on a sticker. Sorry if I'm being retarded. The 15.6 incher is equipped with an Intel Core i3-2310M (2x 2.1 GHz). How can I install the drivers and how do I know how to identify which drivers I need? sad.gif

EDIT: I'm installing an Intel Chipset Device pack and system device pack. Fujitsu seemed to their name on it so it seemed right. Its for Windows 7 x64 so I hope it works.

EDIT:

I don't know what i'm doing. I installed a driver to get a network and I'm connected to the interwebz but how do I sort out the graphics and everything else? sad.gif

EDIT:

I'm seriously fcking stupid. I found a drivers and utilities disc in the box.

Edited by ThePinkFloydSound

@Pico

Get something like 3DMark or MSI Afterburner which comes with a card stress tester called Kombustor. You just need something to stress the card.

@ThePinkFloydSound

There has to be something on the bottom of the laptop that tells you what the model number is. You can also boot into the BIOS and see if it'll tell you there. That's the only way I know of to make sure you get the right drivers. Now since you said it uses an Intel Core i3-2310M, this means it's a relatively new laptop which makes me even more surprised you can find it.

I know this is going to sound like I'm treating you like a moron, please that is not my intent; but you do understand when I said to look at the bottom I mean to flip the laptop over. I have said that to some people and they were looking at the bottom of the screen or down where the trackpad is where you might see other stickers.

Also the mention of the i3-2310M as the CPU makes me a bit more confused. I would think that any laptop with that CPU would already be installed with Win7 from the factory. Unless for some reason you replaced the HDD then the drive should have a protected, and/or hidden, partition that is used for factory recovery system meaning that you can boot the laptop in a way to restore the primary partition to what it was when you first get the laptop and this will have all of the drivers you need, but it also means losing all of your data.

@Exxon

Don't point Steam to run gtaiv.exe. Point it to launchgtaiv.exe or whatever the Start menu or desktop shortcuts that were created when you installed the game point to.

WMP, are the file you added in the same folder as the others?

As for you taste of music, to each their own. Mine is rather eclectic, as is my taste of other things in life, so no I don't really judge other people's choices.

I added both GTAIV.exe and LaunchGTAIV.exe once and both don't work confused.gif

And yes, the files are in the same folder.

As last, I thought you were like some of those people here who are 20 years or older and always appreciate the '80 music wink.gif

@ThePinkFloydSound

There has to be something on the bottom of the laptop that tells you what the model number is. You can also boot into the BIOS and see if it'll tell you there. That's the only way I know of to make sure you get the right drivers. Now since you said it uses an Intel Core i3-2310M, this means it's a relatively new laptop which makes me even more surprised you can find it.

I know this is going to sound like I'm treating you like a moron, please that is not my intent; but you do understand when I said to look at the bottom I mean to flip the laptop over. I have said that to some people and they were looking at the bottom of the screen or down where the trackpad is where you might see other stickers.

Also the mention of the i3-2310M as the CPU makes me a bit more confused. I would think that any laptop with that CPU would already be installed with Win7 from the factory. Unless for some reason you replaced the HDD then the drive should have a protected, and/or hidden, partition that is used for factory recovery system meaning that you can boot the laptop in a way to restore the primary partition to what it was when you first get the laptop and this will have all of the drivers you need, but it also means losing all of your data.

I'm so pissed off now. I never had this sort of problem before. Oh the model number is ah531. Sorry I thought it was a different number you were looking for, my bad.

I really appreciate you help, buddy. I'm so angry now. I tell you what, I borrowed my Dads brand new laptop for one month until I got my Macbook Pro as I needed it for a couple of jobs. That's fine, so I just wanted to re-install windows for him so it's like he got it just out of the box because he hasn't even used it yet.

Man, am I regretting it. Is there no quick fix? I don't understand why the Windows installation disc wasn't enough.

That Recuvr software I mentioned, I have a hard time remembering the spelling, but you can find the link at CCleaner's host site, and it seems related, A person was half way through a reformat and needed to start over, the Recuver tool was recommended, a recent HDD issue here led me to the only site Hitachi recommends for data recovery, and there are some NASTY costs involved, but a free trial PC Medic tool for Do It Yourself type data issues is available for download, I didn't get mine because it is 300MB and it was just taking too long to download, and who knows what limitations are incurred on trial software as well, but I do hope to see what can be done with it and report back

A link about the HDD shortages, I just got a large PATA drive, though for desktop and not laptop, which would benefit me better really

http://www.techspot.com/guides/494-hard-dr...ch-thai-floods/

Review gives some insight, Note the nVidia sticker on the palmrest, at times a different video card will be noted in that manner, not all the time, but a sure-fire indicator of specific video drivers that could come by way of nVidia's site

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Fujits...ok.55738.0.html

Edited by Slamman

@ThePinkFloydSound

I'm so pissed off now. I never had this sort of problem before. Oh the model number is ah531. Sorry I thought it was a different number you were looking for, my bad.

I really appreciate you help, buddy. I'm so angry now. I tell you what, I borrowed my Dads brand new laptop for one month until I got my Macbook Pro as I needed it for a couple of jobs. That's fine, so I just wanted to re-install windows for him so it's like he got it just out of the box because he hasn't even used it yet.

Man, am I regretting it. Is there no quick fix? I don't understand why the Windows installation disc wasn't enough.

Do not try this as I am not sure it will work, there is usually a restore to factory default option, wolf would know more than,me on that

Assuming the files are intact and it's just the graphics, Device Manager is available for Vista users like me, and I've only used Win7 on my i3 desktop and a trial run on my HP, but it's not installed on anything I have at the ready, but as you noted Exclamation points, if an item is PROPERTIES showing that a driver is the issue in some way, follow up a driver for this chipset:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForc...5M.43889.0.html

If you're looking for a fresh wipe, however, which is a good idea to get any OS working as fast as on day one, if there's no "bloatware", a rewipe and format is not really any kind of issue.

With Windows XP, as I remember it, a fresh or new install with the Win disk should scan beforehand to select space and partitions, if it finds XP, it would store program data but reinstall the OS basis ones. From what I recall, this method carries over from Win 9x as well, where it would rename a prior Win install, without over-writing it or erasing it.

Here's the link I meant to add earlier, try this tool out if you're needing to save something from a HDD that's giving any type of issue.

The toughest fault I've seen first hand is Vista's KSOD and the Hitachi XL2000 not showing up, it lacked some drop/shock protection I was reading IS available on some other drives, where they can sense a fall and take action before the shock happens

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Hopefully, just trying a full format is a solution, since it should work to remedy any corrupts that there might be

Wiping is the big problem for those needing their data, you'll lose it all (try a RAID setup if possible (large 17 inch laptops offering two HDD cavities are more common then I thought!

I read this in the PC mags archives, more related to a lawsuit that interestingly dictates that Intel support PCIexpress for 6 years, that means it's still valid, and they cannot move away from systems built with PCIexpress, not related to the version improvements, but one of the things nVidia is facing is a war with Intel to make GPUs more powerful then Intel's CPUs, even all in one systems, more akin to the Atom APU type portable solutions, but nVidia has some big ideas in the future and Intel appears to take that as a threat

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2..._Oak_Trail.html

Edited by Slamman