• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yoječ

• sivispacem

• Wolf68k

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So a 1650 Super is "recommended spec". That's for 1080p high with no RT, but for what FPS nobody really knows. You're basically between minimum and recommended so I'd probably try Medium to start and

Today Chrome stopped displaying most text and a few images, don't think I did anything out of the ordinary on my end to cause this  - tried disable extensions, clearing cache and cookies, reinstalling

Adobe Acrobat is for PDF, IIRC. If you aren't making PDF files and use something else for viewing them, like Chrome, you probably don't need it running on the background. Adobe Genuine is most likely

Is the i9 9900K worth it for gaming? I see more and more games benefiting from 8 cores but with the price of the mobo it's a bit costly for an upgrade. Over $1K with the M.2 drive and 32 gigs of RAM.

Edit: Saw some benchmarks. Answer is no lol. Definitely not enough of a difference.

Edited by DEALUX
On 4/15/2019 at 6:39 AM, DEALUX said:

Is the i9 9900K worth it for gaming?

Doesn't it matter whether one is aiming for 60+ fps, or much higher framerates? I have a 4770K, and although I haven't played the latest games yet, I believe that it's perfectly capable to this day of 60 fps, especially if clocked to over 4 GHz, which is easy to do. My understanding is that a CPU such as you listed could be necessary if one desires 120+ fps in the latest games.

Also, unless there are other reasons for more RAM, I would install 16GB in the form of two DIMMS, and then install additional RAM when it's needed--especially since prices are finally going down.

Edited by Dryspace
Two typos

I'm planning to build a PC with a Ryzen 5 2600x coupled with a RTX 2070. (Not going any higher/expensive than that) Is it worth it? For gaming, 3D modelling, video editing and rendering

Edited by Gummy 
  • 2 weeks later...

I was bitten by the VR bug last year when I tried Samsung VR at a tech summit.  The demo had you sitting on stage between Bono and The Edge, standing at an altar in a predominantly black church in the middle of song and dance, skiing down a mountain and one of the best moments was sitting in a big empty cinema. That's when I got the chills. I was very sceptical about VR but having experienced this demo, I realized how valuable it is. I imagine wheelchair-bound or immobile people having very refreshing experiences that cannot be afforded to them any other way. Even for me, I felt a sort of sadness that it ended and I probably wouldn't experience it again for a long time. 

Anyway, I have a computer that's "VR-ready" and more than meets the specs for VR. My question is. What is a good VR kit to get, on a tight budget? Also, I know you download more professional VR experiences like the one I tried at Samsung demo but where do you buy them? I'm not entirely sure I want to game in VR. I really just wouldn't mind visual experiences with VR for a bit of escapism and fun. 

This one looks great.

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

Really wish I could do stuff with VR but being blind in my left eye due to injury I can't as there are no goggles that aren't one full lense so with the two eye goggles with the split screens i'm only able to see the right side of the screen.

Maybe in the future they'll start thinking about those of us with eye issues and release a full one lense goggle so we can use VR too

• Like 1
15 hours ago, AiraCobra said:

Really wish I could do stuff with VR but being blind in my left eye due to injury I can't as there are no goggles that aren't one full lense so with the two eye goggles with the split screens i'm only able to see the right side of the screen.

Maybe in the future they'll start thinking about those of us with eye issues and release a full one lense goggle so we can use VR too

In stereoscopy (or VR), the images that the left and right eyes see are different and separated. They have to be entirely separate in order to simulate the slightly different perspective of either eye, and the resultantly different images. In stereoscopic viewing, there is no situation in which the left eye views part of the image meant for the right eye, or vice versa.

When the term 'overlap' is used in regard to VR displays, it doesn't mean that either eye is viewing part of the other eye's image, it means that the separate images that the eyes view overlap in the viewers field of view. This simulates the fact that, for humans, the field of view of the left and right eyes overlap. But even though there is overlap across the field of view, the perspective of either eye is entirely separate.

If you have the use of only one eye, you lack depth perception of course, but that doesn't mean that you can't benefit from VR. A high field of view alone significantly increases immersion, and head tracking should provide further realism to an experience. As long as one eye is seeing everything that eye is supposed to see (and it should be), you are getting the maximum benefit possible from a given VR display.

Actually--it occurs to me that you may be referring to the fact that your eye is not experiencing the entirety of the field of view that it does in reality. But this is just a limitation of currently-available displays, and applies to everyone. Specifically, not only does the total field of view extend far less to either side than it does in reality, but I believe that most displays do not have as much overlap in the center. This could make it seem to you like you should be seeing some of what the other eye is seeing, but in actuality it is a limitation of the optics.

If innovation continues (and it has been glacial, unfortunately), displays in the price range of a Vive or Rift should eventually fully extend the field of view inward, and then fully extend it outward (and vertically, as well).

Edited by Dryspace
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, DEALUX said:

You can't fake 3D without two separate screens\perspectives. There's no point in buying a VR headset if you can't see with one eye.

That would be akin to saying that there is no point in watching a movie if one is deaf. The spoken dialogue, musical score, and sound effects are together a significant part of the intended experience--but a person can still derive enjoyment from viewing a movie with subtitles (As an aside, one of the better movies I've ever seen, Nine Queens, was comprehensible to me only via subtitles).

While depth perception is a significant--some may say primary--component of VR, it is only one of the components that serve to increase immersion beyond that of a typical gaming experience: a high field of view and head tracking being another two. A person with monocular vision can increase the immersion of his gaming experience with a VR display in the same way that I have increased mine by moving to a 55" 4K display viewed from 18" - 24", and consequently increasing the in-game FOV to 110° - 130°.

On 4/28/2019 at 3:19 PM, Dryspace said:

In stereoscopy (or VR), the images that the left and right eyes see are different and separated. They have to be entirely separate in order to simulate the slightly different perspective of either eye, and the resultantly different images

it dont work that way, you have only one screen and both eyes see the same image, the perspective is given by having two lenses, one for each eye. it wouldn't work with just one lens for both eyes the same way people blind from one eye lose perspective and depth of field.

edit: you can still play VR and enjoy it, granted that if you are using just one eye you get that feeling that you are looking trough a tube

On 4/27/2019 at 11:01 PM, Mister Pinkerton said:

My question is. What is a good VR kit to get, on a tight budget?

what is a tight budget? i only tried the Rift, and to be honest i only play racing sims

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83
On 4/30/2019 at 5:07 PM, HaRdSTyLe_83 said:

it dont work that way

I'm sorry--I would have replied yesterday, but the website was malfunctioning something fierce.

I don't know where you got your information, but you should demand a refund! In all seriousness though, let me attempt to explain it by addressing your comments:

you have only one screen and both eyes see the same image

In point of fact, there are headsets with a single display and headsets with two displays--and even four displays. The headsets with a single display simply draw one eye's image on one half of the display, and the other eye's image on the other half.

But whether one display or two (or more), one eye looks through one lens at one image, and the other eye looks through the other lens at the other image.

wMwtJJ9.png

the perspective is given by having two lenses, one for each eye

The differing perspectives are achieved by having two eyes. Lenses are unnecessary.

Are you familiar with "Magic Eye" images? They are two-dimensional pictures with two separate perspectives encoded within. By viewing with crossed eyes, each eye focuses on a different perspective and depth is perceived. Crossed-eye viewing can also be used for any stereo pair of images as long as the image meant for the left eye is on the right side and vice versa. A web search for "stereo pair" and "crossed-eye"/"cross-eye"/"cross-eyed" should return examples.

it wouldn't work with just one lens for both eyes

I never said anything about using one lens for both eyes. Since you brought it up, though, a single lens could be used for stereoscopic viewing, but it would be unnatural and uncomfortable because the user's eyes would have to remain either crossed or parallel the entire time.

the same way people blind from one eye lose perspective and depth of field.

A person with monocular vision doesn't lose depth of field, he loses depth perception. Depth of field is the distance within which an eye or camera remains in focus. Outside this field of focus (farther from the far end and closer than the near end), objects start to become blurred.

vVrmKIJ.jpg

if you are using just one eye you get that feeling that you are looking trough a tube

The 'tunnel vision' effect is the result of a low field of view, and thus applies to everyone. If a VR display's field of view matches that of a person's actual field of view, a person with the use of only one eye would see exactly what he normally sees.

Edited by Dryspace
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone provide a quick review of this laptop? It's got decent specs and is in my price range. Everything else in that price range seems to have lower specs. I'll be using it for office purposes, browsing, streaming, etc.? I don't intend to play games on it.

Looks good but it is a little pricey coming in at £730.   I'm guesiing the SSD and 8th Gen i5 inflates the price a little. 

If gaming//graphics is something you don't need  I'd look at lower spec machines and save yourself a small fortune.

3 hours ago, Purevil said:

Looks good but it is a little pricey coming in at £730.   I'm guesiing the SSD and 8th Gen i5 inflates the price a little. 

If gaming//graphics is something you don't need  I'd look at lower spec machines and save yourself a small fortune.

It needs to be capable of handling my office applications and large excel sheets though. Price is not that big a problem here since my company will be bearing Rs.50,000 of the total cost so I'll have to pay only the remaining amount.

I just wanted to know if the laptop is worth it (never owned an Asus before). Lenovo is insanely costlier for the same specs.

I wouldn't pay £730 for for it.   I'd give them £500 tops.  Being as the company is paying for it I'd get it.   ASUS is a good brand. 

Hi! I had some trouble with a Nvidia driver for my Geforce 1030 so I deleted the drivers with this program called DDU. Then I got a new HDMI cable (the one i had was bad) and installed my graphics card again using the CD that came with it. The "problem" now is that this time the Nvidia Control Panel didn't seem to install, I can't find it anywhere. Is this Control Panel very important? I notice my computer seems to be a tiny little bit slower after installing the card (but can't really tell if it's true or just my impression) and apparently drivers DID install. But should I definitely get the Control Panel or is it not really necessary?
I can play GTA IV just fine which is what I wanted the most though 😛

tl;dr is the Nvidia Control Panel 100% necessary or can I do without it, if it didn't install?
Thanks in advance for the answer!

Edited by MysteryDriverX

It's not required for the card to function properly.

Anyway, most of the time it's better to download fresh drivers from the nVidia website, because the ones supplied on the CD are outdated. That is, if the recent drivers aren't giving you any problems on your system.

13 hours ago, MysteryDriverX said:

I can play GTA IV just fine which is what I wanted the most though 😛

From what I understand about the PC port of GTA IV, if you can run it just fine, you've definitely done something right.

Lol yeah it's definitely not very well optimized, it runs fine at around 30 something FPS most of the time but sometimes drops below that for brief moments. And I'm not using the highest graphics settings.
I think I'm gonna have to upgrade my Nvidia driver in the end though since I realized my screen is a bit stretched and no resolutions fit perfectly, and I would need the Nvidia Control Panel. I hope it doesn't get messed up but I made a system restore point just in case. I'm always worried something can go wrong when updating drivers.

Edited by MysteryDriverX
8 hours ago, MysteryDriverX said:

Lol yeah it's definitely not very well optimized, it runs fine at around 30 something FPS most of the time but sometimes drops below that for brief moments. And I'm not using the highest graphics settings.
I think I'm gonna have to upgrade my Nvidia driver in the end though since I realized my screen is a bit stretched and no resolutions fit perfectly, and I would need the Nvidia Control Panel. I hope it doesn't get messed up but I made a system restore point just in case. I'm always worried something can go wrong when updating drivers.

Are all of your proper resolutions available in the Windows Control Panel? Does GTA IV offer the correct resolutions (aspect ratios) for your display? If your display is only stretched in GTA IV, it sounds like it is a game issue.

2 hours ago, Dryspace said:

Are all of your proper resolutions available in the Windows Control Panel? Does GTA IV offer the correct resolutions (aspect ratios) for your display? If your display is only stretched in GTA IV, it sounds like it is a game issue.

I think it's the other way around in this case, I'm running GTA IV apparently fine on 1920x1080 because it's the one it defaulted to when I went to settings. My monitor is 1920x1080 but after I got the graphics card (and I'm using an HDMI cable) my desktop looks very stretched beyond the screen limits when I use that resolution in the desktop. In my desktop after installing the Nvidia driver it set by default to 1680x1050 so I left it like that now (that way it fits the edges of the monitor fine somehow), but I can see that circles look like ovals and noticed the screen is stretched. And I don't have the Nvidia Control Panel now to adjust the width. I need it properly sized to make mods and graphics and stuff 😛 GTA IV seems to appear correctly sized though but I didn't check too much.
I'm just worried about updating the Nvidia driver because I once had trouble with an AMD driver on a laptop (after updating it it wouldn't start Windows or something and had to reset it to factory). And the last time I tried to update this Nvidia driver I got "no signal" on my monitor forever until I took the card out (to use my onboard graphics) and uninstal the driver to use the one that came with the CD. But now I think it might have just been that the HDMI cable I had back then was bad (since it also flickered sometimes anyway) so I got a new one and installed the Nvidia driver from the card's CD again, except this time the Control Panel didn't install for some reason. I will try to update the driver again this Saturday.

GTA IV is so awesome, I can't get enough of this game 😁

EDIT:
Sorry I have another noob question: I noticed the same resolution in the game appears with 25HZ, 29, 30, 59, 60... Which one should I pick? I can't remember which one it had by default. Does it affect FPS? I have it at 29 right now, but Idk what difference this setting makes (for example, why does it offer 29 or 30). GTA IV is the newest videogame I've ever played on my PC and I've never seen that setting next to the screen size in a game before.

Thanks!!

Edited by MysteryDriverX
On 5/21/2019 at 8:11 PM, MysteryDriverX said:

I think it's the other way around in this case...

The NVIDIA Control Panel isn't needed in order to change the desktop resolution--that can be done via the Windows Control Panel. 1680 x 1050 is stretched because it's a 16:10 aspect ratio, whereas 1920 x 1080 is 16:9. I have Windows 7, so if you have a later OS, you're better off searching online for specific instructions for changing the resolution. It should be simple.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:11 PM, MysteryDriverX said:

I noticed the same resolution in the game appears with 25HZ, 29, 30, 59, 60... Which one should I pick?...Does it affect FPS?

You are correct in that most games (read: ports of console games) do not offer the ability to specifically select refresh rate. Instead, the refresh rate of the game usually defaults to the refresh rate that Windows is set to when the game is launched. Refresh rate affects framerate in the sense that it limits the maximum framerate that you can actually see.

To be honest, I find it odd that your monitor offers refresh rates below ~50 Hz, as I thought only televisions and projectors generally offered movie- and video-oriented rates of 24 - 30 Hz. Maybe newer monitors offer this?

In any case, my advice would be to leave the refresh rate at 60 (it may default to 59--that's okay), but if you are sure that the game's framerate never goes above 30, and you are not experiencing noticeable input/mouse lag, I suppose it won't hurt to leave it at 29/30 (Don't worry about the difference--they are essentially the same). Going back to the general resolution issue, you do want to make sure that your refresh rate is defaulting to 60 Hz when in Windows, though.

Edited by Dryspace

Excellent, thanks for the answers!! Yes I'm using a small TV as monitor right now. I'll keep looking into the resolution thing through Windows then, I'm on Windows 8.1. If I pick 1920x1080 (my screen's "recommended" resolution) the screen appears outside the borders as if it were zoomed in. It's the one I used before getting the graphics card. That resolution also appears way too "sharp" for some reason with the graphics card (with outlines around text and other images). So I'm currently using 1680x1050 which fills up the screen without that "zoom" problem, but you are right, now I realize it's a different aspect ratio. Nvidia Control Panel had those arrows on the corners that let you resize the width and height.

EDIT: Found 1600x900 now. Looks a bit smaller of course but at least it seems to fit and has the right aspect ratio. I wouldn't have thought of checking the resolutions through Windows again before reading your post so thanks again!

Edited by MysteryDriverX
16 hours ago, MysteryDriverX said:

If I pick 1920x1080 (my screen's "recommended" resolution) the screen appears outside the borders as if it were zoomed in.

Alright. I was wondering what you were describing originally, but I believe I understand your issue.

Your television is apparently set to overscan a 1080p signal. The TV should have an 'Overscan' setting--you want to go through your television's options and disable it. If necessary, you should probably be able to download the manual for your TV if you don't have one. That should allow a 1920 x 1080 signal to display accurately.

I gotta try that out, thanks!! 

EDIT: Found the feature, it's called "Just Scan" in the LG TV I'm using. I tried it and it did make the screen fit at 1920x1080 but it looks a bit blurry/fuzzy and way too sharp (white lines around stuff) and saturated. I'll check the settings to see if something corrects that. Otherwise 1600x900 is not too bad.

EDIT 2: Bought a VGA to HDMI adapter and I'm using my TV as VGA and plugged with this adapter into the card's HDMI. Now I get perfect 1920x1080! Now my only problem is that the adapter is quite thick and the card is a bit lower because of it so I can't screw it properly. I'm using a pencil as a stand to make sure it doesn't eventually bend down, but it worries me a bit. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by MysteryDriverX

So I just built my new PC today, and migrated my old 1TB hard drive over to the new build. This hard drive just had games on it from Steam, not the OS.

bt52vtQ.png

But whenever I try to access it, it gives me the following error:

QwAmKtz.png

I know I f*cked up somewhere along the way. How do I address this issue?

On 5/23/2019 at 6:24 PM, MysteryDriverX said:

EDIT 2: Bought a VGA to HDMI adapter and I'm using my TV as VGA and plugged with this adapter into the card's HDMI. Now I get perfect 1920x1080! Now my only problem is that the adapter is quite thick and the card is a bit lower because of it so I can't screw it properly. I'm using a pencil as a stand to make sure it doesn't eventually bend down, but it worries me a bit. 🤦‍♂️

Could you post a picture? The card itself should be securely installed, of course, and HDMI end connectors are small and aren't attached by screws like larger VGA connectors. I've had issues with bulky VGA connectors sagging, but I'm not clear on what it is you'r dealing with.

52 minutes ago, TheSpectre said:

So I just built my new PC today, and migrated my old 1TB hard drive over to the new build. This hard drive just had games on it from Steam, not the OS.

Is this an external drive, by chance?

Edited by Dryspace
10 hours ago, Dryspace said:

Could you post a picture? The card itself should be securely installed, of course, and HDMI end connectors are small and aren't attached by screws like larger VGA connectors. I've had issues with bulky VGA connectors sagging, but I'm not clear on what it is you'r dealing with.

Is this an external drive, by chance?

No, it's an internal HDD, plugged directly into my motherboard.