4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Random Technology Questions

Tornado Rex

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

For some reason whenever I try and transfer large files to my 1TB External HDD it disconnects at random times and won't reconnect until I physically unplug it and plug it back in and it does it every time without fail but my 4TB External HDD has no problems with it just my 1TB.

I know it's not my computer because it does the same thing with my desktop whenever I try and use it on there.

They're both Seagate if that matters at all

Could either be a dirty connection for the USB, or more likely an issue with the power supply and/or it's cables.  Without knowing which exact types, can you try swapping the Power cables (and possibly the USB cables) around and see if that makes a difference.  If it's not those things have you ran a check disk (chkdsk) on it recently in case there is a fault on the drive?

wZVJHXg.png

10 hours ago, AiraCobra said:

For some reason whenever I try and transfer large files to my 1TB External HDD it disconnects at random times and won't reconnect until I physically unplug it and plug it back in and it does it every time without fail...

You say that it never disconnects randomly in general--only when transferring large files?

Is there a range of time or bytes transferred after which it disconnects?

Is RAM usage like this normal for someone with 32 gigs? It seems a lot of it is reserved by Windows.

sbu3S80.png

$GAIN | The Audiophile Thread

XB271HU | AKG K612 Pro | Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | TOPPING A90 | TOPPING D90SE

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | SSD ADATA 256GB | Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2

@Dealux

If you want to analyze RAM, open up the 'Memory' tab in 'Resource Monitor' (You should be able to open it directly by entering the name in the Start Menu.

I believe the 'Available' is what you are interested in, which is all memory that is not appropriated by Windows or currently used by an application, and can be accessed if necessary.

uRIYeYm.png

Edited by Dryspace

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
On 10/18/2018 at 5:33 PM, Crokey said:

Could either be a dirty connection for the USB, or more likely an issue with the power supply and/or it's cables.  Without knowing which exact types, can you try swapping the Power cables (and possibly the USB cables) around and see if that makes a difference.  If it's not those things have you ran a check disk (chkdsk) on it recently in case there is a fault on the drive?

You were correct to suggest it may have been the cable as it turned out it was, I used the cord I usually use for my 4TB for the 1TB and it works just fine so it looks like I'll be buying a new cord for the 1TB this week.

I didn't think it was the cable because when just plugged in it was fine it only started having issues when I attempted to do things with it so I thought it might've been the device itself so I didn't think to try the other cable.

Edited by AiraCobra

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

Can't connect to my Router Interface http://192.168.0.1/ and it's saying it's being blocked by AV & Firewall. No issue accessing it via phone just my computer.

I've disabled both of them but it's still being blocked somewhere but I don't know where, Any ideas?

I am using Windows Defender AV & Firewall

• 3 weeks later...
ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
On 10/30/2018 at 3:39 PM, AiraCobra said:

Can't connect to my Router Interface http://192.168.0.1/ and it's saying it's being blocked by AV & Firewall. No issue accessing it via phone just my computer.

I've disabled both of them but it's still being blocked somewhere but I don't know where, Any ideas?

I am using Windows Defender AV & Firewall

Anybody?

_______

Also have another issue regarding my monitor

he stand that's holding my monitor has become loose and it's tilting the screen as far forward as possible, I've tried tightening the screws but within a day or so it starts sagging again, Right now i'm using tape to hold it upright but do you have any ideas on how to fix it?

GEMugWO.jpg

As of right now this is my fix

a Piece of heavy duty Gorilla tape that's anchored underneath the desk and taped at the very top to hold it in place 

ezBHLzj.jpg

OBwmZyr.gif

Edited by AiraCobra

Phanteks cases- talk to me. Anyone got experience of them?

I'm currently quite tempted by the Phanteks Evolv X in black- I've been intending on chopping up my C70 to fit a custom loop but the Phanteks seems to meet all of my critera and more.

5e09b1ef-d54d-48ee-884c-f928253ddd1d.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg
P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

I had a fiddle around with my friends tempered version of the Enthoo pro whilst helping build his Ryzen rig and despite it being on the lower end of Phantek's case offerings (well when compared to the Evolv X, Enthoo Primo etc) I was relatively impressed by it; solid build quality and finish, clean looking aesthetics owing to PSU shroud, hidden drives, magnetized dust filters etc. Also has good cable routing options and what looked to be decent support for AIO's/radiators plus it was just generally easy/spacious to build in - all in all it's definitely a great case for that price point. If the lower end gear is anything to go off then the higher tier cases could be an option plus it saves chopping up a perfectly good case.

8 hours ago, sivispacem said:

Phanteks cases- talk to me. Anyone got experience of them?

I'm currently quite tempted by the Phanteks Evolv X in black-

i would go with the Flow edition, no leds but at least it got better airflow

CA07DPT_179539_800x800.jpg

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

2 hours ago, HaRdSTyLe_83 said:

i would go with the Flow edition, no leds but at least it got better airflow

CA07DPT_179539_800x800.jpg

Not totally sold on the aesthetic of the Flow. Would probably make a pretty cool Deus Ex themed build with all those random hexagons though.

The X seems to have sorted the worst of the airflow issues with the original Evolv.

Untitled-1.jpg

Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

Maybe I'm just weird but I've never really cared or was bothered with what my casing looked like, As long as everything fit and it wasn't causing me any problems I was happy as a clam.

-------

Do any of youse use one of those swivel Monitor stands you know the ones that you can screw into your desk or the wall?

61z2-sZoXrL._SL1000_.jpg

Which one are you using or which one would you recomeend?

Provide Link is possible please

I don't know, but the one you posted looks fairly well-designed. You can even clamp it to a desk with a thickness of 0 inches. Just make sure to hold the product arms tight to prevent arms strike out and get hurt.

I feel asleep!!

On 11/18/2018 at 11:03 PM, AiraCobra said:

Do any of youse use one of those swivel Monitor stands you know the ones that you can screw into your desk or the wall?

i had a wall stand, very basic, didnt extend or anything and costed about 5$, recently invested in a Silverstone SST-ARM11SC so i can pull the monitor close to me when im playing racing games. my monitor weighs 8Kg so i didnt had many choices for lower prices

tLb87UF.jpg

@HaRdSTyLe_83 Thanks to your suggestion I'm totally sold on the slightly oddball Phanteks Evolv Flow Edition as my next case.

-Edit

Gah and it's down to £179 on Overclockers!

zt7wjt.jpg

I'd promised myself I'd wait until February or so before cicking off Phase 2 and this is making it very, very hard to resist...

Untitled-1.jpg

I love my Tagan A+ Black Pearl. It's extremely spacious, it has a 100% "gimmick-less" aesthetic, and best of all, it's 100% aluminum (except for tiny rivets/screws), which means it is very light--considerably lighter than a smaller steel mid-tower.

I used it for my first gaming PC in late 2008, and again for my early 2014 build, and I can't see any reason that I won't be using it ten years from now. Beyond, even. I'd like to use the lower space with the removable drive bays to house a small compressor and pump for a phase change active liquid cooling system. But then, I don't know if I feel like dealing with the necessary upkeep. I had always assumed I would use a mini-fridge compressor, but have you seen the tiny compressors from aspencompressor.com?

Ten years ago it was at least $400 USD, but I picked it up for an amazing $180 at a local store. If you can find one at around the price I paid, I can't imagine being disappointed. Although I don't have a plethora of case experience, I can't say anything negative about it other than the fact that it's large--but that's only a negative for one who needs a smaller case.

Edited by Dryspace

12 hours ago, Dryspace said:

I love my Tagan A+ Black Pearl. It's extremely spacious, it has a 100% "gimmick-less" aesthetic, and best of all, it's 100% aluminum (except for tiny rivets/screws), which means it is very light--considerably lighter than a smaller steel mid-tower.

i own a lian li Pc-011 all in aluminum and after switching for the dynamic version i can assure you that once you start placing all the componentes in there you are not going to notice the difference on the weight of the case. Maybe on a huge case like that you can notice a small difference, but for a normal person with a normal case its no more then aesthetic... and who cares about weight, its not like you are going to move the case every day :P

13 hours ago, Dryspace said:

I can't say anything negative about it other than the fact that it's large--but that's only a negative for one who needs a smaller case.

No radiator support?!? there are alot of Big cases out there with more options. I would like to make a dual loop on something like the Lian Li V3000 but i wouldn't have the space to put such a monster lol

16 hours ago, Dryspace said:

Ten years ago it was at least $400 USD, but I picked it up for an amazing $180 at a local store. If you can find one at around the price I paid, I can't imagine being disappointed. Although I don't have a plethora of case experience, I can't say anything negative about it other than the fact that it's large--but that's only a negative for one who needs a smaller case.

Your Tagan Black Pearl is a rebranded Lian Li PC-V2000. I had a V2000 and two of the PC-V1200s. Being a classic Lian Li, they are some of the best quality cases ever made, but I wouldn't recommend getting them now because of how old they are. Which means no USB3 plugs, and an aging interior without grommets or anywhere to hide cables. You can build a pretty system inside one, but you'll be doing a lot of work.

There's always the new Lian Li PC-V3000 if you want to update your case with one of the same quality.

IPMBMBAP

On 11/21/2018 at 9:05 PM, sivispacem said:

@HaRdSTyLe_83 Thanks to your suggestion I'm totally sold on the slightly oddball Phanteks Evolv Flow Edition as my next case.

watching today the video of GN about best and worst Pc cases he talks about the X version  @ 12:20 tbh i didnt knew it was a dual system case lol

@HaRdSTyLe_83

As far as weight, I don't have enough facts to argue the benefits, but I only mentioned the weight because I did notice the difference when moving it around compared with a system in a considerably smaller steel case. It's true that I don't take it out of the house like I used to.

I'm not sure what you mean by no radiator support? Because of the way the case is designed, there are any number of ways to do something. It does have a mount at the top for a two-fan radiator, with two circular ports that can be removed for passing cooling lines.

@Noale

It's actually not true that it is simply rebranded. It is the same basic design, but there are several differences: Among others, a solid rather than perforated front panel, a much larger side panel opening, a completely different design for the removable drive bays, and no casters. I would have preferred the casters. I think...

Being entirely frank, I can't agree with your assessment of the case as "too old". For front-facing USB3, that's solved by spending a few dollars on an insert for one of the many 5.25" bays. As for grommets, do you mean holes for passing cables? It has those, and of course being aluminum it's easy to drill additional holes.

As a PC is a 100% functional device that, further, has quite a short life span, I don't understand the idea of spending time and effort making the interior into a work of art. If I hung my PC on the wall, or threw a leash on it and entered it into shows, perhaps, but mine exists solely to perform work.

I completely understand why a person wants to do such a thing, because I am that type of person. But I can't deny the fact that it makes even less sense than prettifying a vehicle's engine compartment. The only thing that matters to me is that a case provide a satisfactory environment for the installation and modifications that I perform.

However, if directing one's creativity toward PC building brings even one more person over from console land, then I say have at it.

I'd consider it a compliment, since Lian Li is well known for their premium cases, while Tagan wasn't really known for much else besides their power supplies perhaps. And Tagan is long gone now.

Yes, there are some differences between them, but that doesn't change the fact that both cases are likely made with a lot of the same tooling at the Lian Li factory. The Tagan may have a different style of drive cages from the V2000, but the Tagan Black Pearl still uses a classic Lian Li drive cage design. They use the same style of hook rail cages on a lot of their cases. If you want casters, check the holes on the bottom for the feet and measure their spacing. I have the PC-V2000 casters right here in my garage and I can check if they use the same mounting holes. Sure, you could buy a 5.25" drive bay for USB/etc, but why buy one separately for an old case when you can buy a newer case that already has built in ones?

The Tagan/V2000 has like one or two grommets, with one of them being on the midplate. There is also very little space behind the motherboard tray to run cables through. It doesn't matter if you don't understand why people do it. All you need to know is people do care about it. If nobody cared, we wouldn't be seeing side panel windows. We wouldn't be seeing black interiors. We wouldn't be seeing cable grommets. We wouldn't be seeing RGB components. It might not matter to you, but plenty of other people who build their own PC actually do care about the inside.

As for the larger side panel opening, how much larger do you think it is?

Here's the Tagan Black Pearl

572_021.jpg

Here's a PC-V2000

pcv-ext2.jpg

I don't think saying it's "much larger" is correct, do you? In fact, it looks nearly identical to me. If it is essentially 90% the same, I'd call it rebranded. And I'm still convinced that the majority of people would be happier buying a Phanteks or Corsair case today.

And I guess you could say I'm one of those people who likes to make their computer pretty. Just a little though, nothing serious. I'll drill like one hole maybe.

IPMBMBAP

36 minutes ago, Noale said:

I'll drill like one hole maybe

yeah right 😛

1 hour ago, Dryspace said:

I don't understand the idea of spending time and effort making the interior into a work of art. If I hung my PC on the wall, or threw a leash on it and entered it into shows, perhaps, but mine exists solely to perform work.

its not one thing or the other, it can be both functional and still look good. you brought the car analogy but missed the dunk, who doesn't like personalised interiors, dashboards etc ?

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

For something without a side panel window I could understand not being 100% tidy and getting a little lax on cable management but for something that shows the guts I'd much rather spend the extra hour or so doing the cables - workhorse or not, no reason it can't look the part too. It's understandable not everyone wants to go full RGB/case customization crazy but with the general high costs of PC components I dunno why you wouldn't want to make the effort. My rig is hardly top end by any means (dual xeon x5650/gtx 970) nor do I have a windowed case (Define R5) but I still put a little time into making the interior tidy; I'd also argue it makes it easier to clean the rig without cables dangling, and easier to upgrade/replace later on if the cables are already managed as opposed to dangling.

1 hour ago, Noale said:

I'd consider it a compliment

Perhaps it is...I didn't think about that. There was no qualitative aspect to my reply: I simply asserted that the Black Pearl is not simply a rebrand, that is in fact somewhat different.

1 hour ago, Noale said:

I don't think saying it's "much larger" is correct, do you? In fact, it looks nearly identical to me.

I don't think saying that would be correct at all. I would even say those two openings are not nearly identical, but actually identical. The problem is that I was looking at a case with a different panel, which is the first link that popped up when I searched for the model https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112062

ZayYBNo.jpg

As far as I have been aware, the Black Pearl only came with either a mesh or (acrylic?) opening of the size shown in your pics. I just assumed that the PC-V2000 had a smaller opening, but it looks like there were at least two versions.

1 hour ago, HaRdSTyLe_83 said:

It's not one thing or the other, it can be both functional and still look good. you brought the car analogy but missed the dunk, who doesn't like personalised interiors, dashboards etc ?

With respect, I don't believe that you understood my analogy. Of course something can be both functional and look good--I'm talking about a situation in which it doesn't make any sense for it to look good, or to go to any great length to make it so.

Interiors, dashboards, bodies, etc. can be and are seen by many people on a regular basis. An engine compartment, like the interior of a PC, is not. My honest rough guess would be that the interior of a PC is actually seen by any human being for perhaps 0.01% of the life a build.

I know that my point makes sense, and nonetheless I also know that I made it clear that if customizing the interior of a PC is good for the PC industry, it's good enough for me.

Edited by Dryspace

6 minutes ago, Dryspace said:

My honest rough guess would be that the interior of a PC is actually seen by any human being for perhaps 0.01% of the life a build.

thats is why your analogy is wrong, or maybe it just applys to your case (pun intended)

mine can be seen everytime i enter the room or look to the right, and like everything in my house, i do like pretty things even the ones that have 0 functionality and just hang on the wall

26 minutes ago, HaRdSTyLe_83 said:

thats is why your analogy is wrong, or maybe it just applys to your case (pun intended)

mine can be seen everytime i enter the room or look to the right, and like everything in my house, i do like pretty things even the ones that have 0 functionality and just hang on the wall

I don't see how my analogy is wrong. I'm sure you do glance at it, perhaps several times almost every single day. But unlike automobiles and architecture, it's not usually gazed upon or inhabited by anyone. I'm still reasonably sure that the total amount of time that any human, including yourself, gazes upon the inside of the case, apart from the time you spent working on it, is something around 1/10,000th of the total amount of time the build exists.

My analogy is correct, but it only relates to my opinion. I have no problem with you spending your efforts as you wish.

41 minutes ago, HaRdSTyLe_83 said:

even the ones that have 0 functionality and just hang on the wall

Well, I'm not surprised that you even like pretty things with zero functionality, as that is typically called 'art' :)

10 hours ago, Dryspace said:

I'm still reasonably sure that the total amount of time that any human, including yourself, gazes upon the inside of the case, apart from the time you spent working on it, is something around 1/10,000th of the total amount of time the build exists.

you are projecting. if i had case like yours it would be hidden aswell, i wont argue with that.

My Pc's interior can be gazed all the time, during all the hours i spend in front of the computer.

05LcRzN.jpg