• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yoječ

• sivispacem

• Wolf68k

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So a 1650 Super is "recommended spec". That's for 1080p high with no RT, but for what FPS nobody really knows. You're basically between minimum and recommended so I'd probably try Medium to start and

You say the PCI-E WiFi adapter seems unrelated, but maybe not because they're probably sharing a PCI-E lane (although I'm not sure how that works with older Intel CPUs/mobos). Have you tried removing

I just built a new PC, and needed a new windows activation key.  I bought one on G2A, a site I've used tonnes of times and never had a single issue, entered the code into windows and even tried o

I thought a reset just wipes the PC clean, while still keeping the OS? So I'll have to buy Windows 10 again?

install gentoo

Anyone know where I can buy these black bags used in some electronics packaging like cases/PSUs? I've been looking and can't really figure out if I'm searching for the right thing. I think the material is non-woven.

If the bags can't be purchased in specific sizes, then just the fabric itself is fine, and I can try to stitch it together myself.

5shroud.jpg

what do you mean by reset? using the recovery option will not delete any files but doing a clean install you will need your windows password (should be in a sticker on your pc case) most drivers will update on its own if you have an internet connection

Really? I thought it would wipe everything. Oh well. I can't find a sticker on my case anyway.

what do you mean by reset? using the recovery option will not delete any files but doing a clean install you will need your windows password (should be in a sticker on your pc case) most drivers will update on its own if you have an internet connection

Really? I thought it would wipe everything. Oh well. I can't find a sticker on my case anyway.

You need to differentiate between doing a factory reset (if it's a prebuilt) or a clean install. A factory reset will just return the PC to the state it was in when you bought it, including bloatware. Reformating the drive and doing a clean install will get rid of everything and give you a completely clean copy of Windows.

Stickers on cases haven't been a thing since Windows 7. If you're installing Windows 10 the license is stored on the motherboard and it will automatically activate when it connects to the Internet, I think Windows 8 does the same thing. No need to enter any codes during the install process.

Anyone know where I can buy these black bags used in some electronics packaging like cases/PSUs? I've been looking and can't really figure out if I'm searching for the right thing. I think the material is non-woven.

If the bags can't be purchased in specific sizes, then just the fabric itself is fine, and I can try to stitch it together myself.

It will be an Anti-Static or ESD Bag, the cloth ones will probably be harder to find as most Anti-Static bags are plastic, but you can get Anti-Static cloth, which is mainly used for clothes lining.

• Like 2

Thanks. I am looking for the black colored ones that aren't plastic. I'll be using them to cover a few cases that I have to stop dust from settling on them. I could probably use any bag for it, but I like the look and feel of these.

You need to differentiate between doing a factory reset (if it's a prebuilt) or a clean install. A factory reset will just return the PC to the state it was in when you bought it, including bloatware. Reformating the drive and doing a clean install will get rid of everything and give you a completely clean copy of Windows.

Stickers on cases haven't been a thing since Windows 7. If you're installing Windows 10 the license is stored on the motherboard and it will automatically activate when it connects to the Internet, I think Windows 8 does the same thing. No need to enter any codes during the install process.

I have a Windows 8 and a Windows 10 and they all have a sticker with the password. Glued to the case or not they are still there.

Switched all parts on my initial PC apart from the HDD and i was never asked for password, so im sure the MOBO (also got replaced) got nothing to do with the Windows activation code.

Picked the old MOBO and made a second computer and no activation code was stored there aswell

This is just my experience with original products

Motherboard.

Also, Claude. Why not Google the problems you have with your PC? Then you dont have to have day long discussions on here. You would have already reset the PC and be done with it.

Motherboard.

Also, Claude. Why not Google the problems you have with your PC? Then you dont have to have day long discussions on here. You would have already reset the PC and be done with it.

Because I don't actually have issues, my Avast keeps telling me that I have a load of junk files, GTA 3 and Vice City won't save, I lost all my save data for my Need For Speed games, so I figured I'll just do a clean install, start fresh.

Avast

Start by deleting this, and replacing it with an AV that hasn't resorted to hawking crapware, hogging system resources and shouting at you every six seconds for not buying an overpriced subscription that nets you nothing of benefit.

Start by deleting this, and replacing it with an AV that hasn't resorted to hawking crapware, hogging system resources and shouting at you every six seconds for not buying an overpriced subscription that nets you nothing of benefit.

Hmm...a new anti virus. Suggestions?

My suggestion would also be Avira, though Windows Defender has got pretty good again now MS have started porting over functionality from Advanced Threat Protection and other enterprise security products.

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

Can someone explain MSSA, FXAA, V-Sync & Anti-Alisin (sp?) and why I SHOULD or SHOULDN'T have them selected/turned on to me?

Edited by Ai®aCob®a

Can someone explain MSSA, FXAA, V-Sync & Anti-Alisin (sp?) and why I SHOULD or SHOULDN'T have them selected/turned on to me?

V-Sync is a technology that caps the frame rate of games to numbers that are clean divisions of the monitor refresh rate. This prevents tearing and other visual artefacts which are unsightly.

MSAA and FXAA are both different types of anti-aliasing. Anti-aliasing is a mathematical process designed to smooth our jagged lines. FXAA is less effective but has significantly less performance impact. MSAA is more effective but has a significant impact, which increases exponentially with the number of samples taken (2x, 4x, 8x,). Some games also support temporal (TXAA) which usually offers the best balance of performance and visual quality.

Having V-Sync on is personal preference. It depends what you prefer, frame drops from 60 to 30 at high load and input lag, or tearing and stutter. I'd you've got a G-Sync or Freesync monitor don't use it.

My personal view is use whatever the best balance of AA between efficiency/impact and visual quality you find appealing for any particular game or system. It's a personal thing. I'll commonly use 8x MSAA even at 2K where my system can handle it.

• Like 3

Question: how do I remove directory services when searching for a phone number?

When I type in a number like 619-485-0860 I get 50 pages of reverse lookup this and findwhocalledyou that and quite frankly that's a waste of time.

Long gone seem to be the days of putting in a number and getting a business name or something relevant.

Can anyone help? I tried the "-" sign in front of words like directory and lookup but the first results displayed ironically have those words in the title.

TYIA.

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

Don't think you can, In the U.S we have a site called Whitepages.com which has a specific page for reverse lookups for phone numbers.

Try seeing if you can find a website like that, that works across Ireland but i've always had good luck simply googling the number while it may give me the "WhoCalledYou" or "IsTheaScamNumber?" it always gives enough info for me to figure out who it is

It works like this....

e5ca4379e6e124852fd5fc602243a456.png

a34e52582480b6401ebc3f1aa803a9d2.gif

There is something though, These kind of sites won't give you the name of a caller if the caller is calling from a cell phone it will always show up as a Wireless Caller, You will only get a name if it's a landline number unless you pay for one of those background check sites such as BeenVerfied that also have a phone number look up

af47a8bd20f0046878fbd9ca65102499.png

Edited by Ai®aCob®a

White pages and the likes are what I'm trying to avoid. They're not very accurate much of the time from what I've seen.

I used to be able to eliminate most of these directory sites using the google but I quit using that a while back.

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

Maybe it's time to start using it again since you aren't getting the results you're looking for it

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

Can I ask why you won't use google? Seeing as they provide the best search results out of all the other search engines even Bing

I'm weird about my data being used/sold without my permission and/or knowledge.

I don't like being tracked.

I don't like giant corps that stifle everyone's free speech but their own.

I don't like the advertising (although with the right version of Firefox and a couple of key aps that basically goes away but I don't want to have to do that).

And it is only your opinion that the google is better. I've found much better results using duckduckgo, dogpile and mystartpage 99% of the time.

There are other reasons but that should be enough for you to get where I'm coming from.;)

Edited by FukNRekd

I don't like the advertising (although with the right version of Firefox and a couple of key aps that basically goes away but I don't want to have to do that).

How do you even exist on the internet?
  • Like 1

How do you even exist on the internet?Much better than you, just without big brother and his megacorporation siblings knowing every. Single. Detail.

I don't do social media. You'd have to be willfully stupid or woefully ignorant to lay your life out there like that.

I use trashmail. Don't have any spam and don't get offers for penis enlargers.

I use proxies, noscript and adblocker when visiting sites I haven't been to before. I can surf the net almost completely anonymously. I can view YouTube videos all day long and not get a single "commercial" between them.

I just use common sense.

I know, I know, it's weird I use common sense and don't want my whole life out there for everyone to see.

But that's just me. Most people don't care enough to understand how things work these days.

Edited by FukNRekd

It's a personal thing. I'll commonly use 8x MSAA even at 2K where my system can handle it.

lol I'm not that much of an AA whore. 1440p looks good with minimal amount of AA.

On NVIDIA GPUs, I'd use the extra performance and turn on Fast Sync (as opposed to v-sync) for significantly less lag\input response time. V-sync is really slow in FPS games for instance but G-sync\FreeSync would be ideal (Fast Sync just uses a more clever way to buffer frames with negligible time delay whilst G-sync FreeSync turns off buffering completely).

Much better than you, just without big brother and his megacorporation siblings knowing every. Single. Detail.

Are you sure about that?

I use proxies, noscript and adblocker when visiting sites I haven't been to before.

You are aware that most free proxy and VPN services sell your profiled and often non-anonymised browsing history to the highest bidder?

I can surf the net almost completely anonymously.

I don't think you'd be saying this if you had much of a clue exactly how easy it is to track browsing through behaviour-based analysis, even putting aside providers selling your browsing data for profit.

Most people don't care enough to understand how things work these days.

Ha.
  • Like 3

Much better than you, just without big brother and his megacorporation siblings knowing every. Single. Detail.

I don't do social media. You'd have to be willfully stupid or woefully ignorant to lay your life out there like that.

I use trashmail. Don't have any spam and don't get offers for penis enlargers.

I use proxies, noscript and adblocker when visiting sites I haven't been to before. I can surf the net almost completely anonymously. I can view YouTube videos all day long and not get a single "commercial" between them.

I just use common sense.

I know, I know, it's weird I use common sense and don't want my whole life out there for everyone to see.

But that's just me. Most people don't care enough to understand how things work these days.

If you perceive yourself as anonymous on the internet because you don't do social media, allow scripts or get ads on Youtube videos then I bid you Sir a good day. Edited by Andreaz1