What could Rockstar include in an 80s VC that they didn't before?

Patrizio

Miami 1989

Make it happen R* plz

José_Sócrates

A lot of stuff. There is a million stories and possibilities they could try. They could do stories from many different angles, with many different themes and atmospheres, looking at the various different faces of the criminal underworld at the time.

But then again, we would get 80s Miami for a third time. Does the city not exist in other time periods? Weren't the other two times enough? I know a lot of us still want to see more things from the 80s that they didn't add in the previous games, and we want to see the 80s remade using current technology, but no matter how many games they release set in the 80s, there will always be more areas to explore, and we can't have everything you know? Right now I would rather see Rockstar be more creative and see what they can come up with in a modern time Miami setting than see them trying to tackle the 80s, once again, but with a different angle than the last two games.   

• Like 1

Edward RDRIII
3 hours ago, José_Sócrates said:

A lot of stuff. There is a million stories and possibilities they could try. They could do stories from many different angles, with many different themes and atmospheres, looking at the various different faces of the criminal underworld at the time.

But then again, we would get 80s Miami for a third time. Does the city not exist in other time periods? Weren't the other two times enough? I know a lot of us still want to see more things from the 80s that they didn't add in the previous games, and we want to see the 80s remade using current technology, but no matter how many games they release set in the 80s, there will always be more areas to explore, and we can't have everything you know? Right now I would rather see Rockstar be more creative and see what they can come up with in a modern time Miami setting than see them trying to tackle the 80s, once again, but with a different angle than the last two games.   

That's exactly what I'm always trying to say here, a 80's setting is getting too far away in the past by now, about 40 years already more or less, even more so when the game actually releases in a couple of years, games like Red Dead, Something Noire and Max Payne are perfect for settings in the past, but GTA works better in a modern setting in my opinion.

On 4/6/2022 at 3:36 PM, Edward RDRIII said:

That's exactly what I'm always trying to say here, a 80's setting is getting too far away in the past by now, about 40 years already more or less, even more so when the game actually releases in a couple of years, games like Red Dead, Something Noire and Max Payne are perfect for settings in the past, but GTA works better in a modern setting in my opinion.

LA Noire wasn't even a Rockstar production 

Edited by rjmthe2nd
  • Bruh 1

VercettiGuy
On 4/6/2022 at 9:36 PM, Edward RDRIII said:

While I'm starting to agree with your first point of the 80s being too far in the past, I disagree with GTA working better in a modern setting. But that's all personal taste to be fair and nothing to argue about.

A year ago I was totally set on the 80s. But now, I'm starting to think about the late 90s. Or the early 00s. That's something we haven't explored that much, at least not in HD. Plus, it's not that far away. After 9 years of V/O, I'm really not interested in another modern setting. I'm scared that with Vice City also being a sunny state and with all modern cars already added over the years to GTAO, it will feel exactly like V.

That to me would be the gaming equivalent of housing a Vietnam vet in a jungle.

Edward RDRIII
6 hours ago, rjmthe2nd said:

LA Noire wasn't even a Rockstar production 

So?

3 hours ago, VercettiGuy said:

While I'm starting to agree with your first point of the 80s being too far in the past, I disagree with GTA working better in a modern setting. But that's all personal taste to be fair and nothing to argue about.

A year ago I was totally set on the 80s. But now, I'm starting to think about the late 90s. Or the early 00s. That's something we haven't explored that much, at least not in HD. Plus, it's not that far away. After 9 years of V/O, I'm really not interested in another modern setting. I'm scared that with Vice City also being a sunny state and with all modern cars already added over the years to GTAO, it will feel exactly like V.

That to me would be the gaming equivalent of housing a Vietnam vet in a jungle.

I kinda get what you mean, but it should be at least in the early 2000's with a 2 Fast 2 Furious vibe when it comes to vehicles perhaps.

Vice City was missing Duran Duran on the radio

On 4/6/2022 at 8:36 PM, Edward RDRIII said:

I agree. The 80s Miami cliché is dated, both in the franchise and out of it. I'd like to see a modern Vice City. There's so much untapped potential for satire that they would be ignoring had they turned a blind eye to contemporary pop culture, and we need a GTA game set in the current decade lest the franchise lose what has been it's mojo ever since 2001, along with any relevance it has still maintained after all these years without a proper sequel. GTA works best as a series of time capsules, and the further we move away from those eras, the less legitimate the representation as we are applying even more modern sensibilities to eras where they were radically different. For games like Red Dead this is an inevitability, so there has to be more care put into the presentation to preserve historical accuracy. For GTA, it's unnecessary. It's been 33 years since the end of the 80s. Rockstar is not the same company it was when it made Vice City. 

Vice City and San Andreas were prequels that spawned out of GTA III's success. They were not numbered entries. Rockstar don't make those kinds of games anymore and it's just not practical judging by their new business model. They go from numbered entry to numbered entry. That is one of the things that the HD universe marked the beginning of. The template for numbered entries has always been one embedded within the cultural context of the years they were made in. Judging by their reluctance to even provide single-player DLC nowadays, do you really think they would spend money to make an entire single-player game in between V and VI? And had GTA VI taken place in 80s VC, it would be the first numbered entry to take place in a different era. I just don't see it happening. 

• Like 2

GhettoJesus
57 minutes ago, SageFan said:

And had GTA VI taken place in 80s VC, it would be the first numbered entry to take place in a different era. I just don't see it happening. 

One could argue that there is a high demand for 80s VC. Your reasons for a modern day VC are pretty solid but I feel like an 80s VC is just as likely as a modern day VC. There is definitely a big nostalgia factor there and R* could choose to cash in on that. On the other hand, GTA games sell like hot cakes so R* might not end up on relying on the nostalgia factor.

K2yjoYK.png

VercettiGuy

Honestly, my main reason for wanting a past setting is the damn phone. I hated it in GTAO. I don't want to be called a bazillion times a day anymore or hack everything. Not only the phone, but all that stupid unrealistic tech-stuff from GTAO. It really killed the fun for me at some point.

GRINCH ASS BITCH

Hey folks check this out, they could add that one song "Blinding Lights" since it sounds so 80's!

Edward RDRIII
5 hours ago, SageFan said:

I agree. The 80s Miami cliché is dated, both in the franchise and out of it. I'd like to see a modern Vice City. There's so much untapped potential for satire that they would be ignoring had they turned a blind eye to contemporary pop culture, and we need a GTA game set in the current decade lest the franchise lose what has been it's mojo ever since 2001, along with any relevance it has still maintained after all these years without a proper sequel. GTA works best as a series of time capsules, and the further we move away from those eras, the less legitimate the representation as we are applying even more modern sensibilities to eras where they were radically different. For games like Red Dead this is an inevitability, so there has to be more care put into the presentation to preserve historical accuracy. For GTA, it's unnecessary. It's been 33 years since the end of the 80s. Rockstar is not the same company it was when it made Vice City. 

Vice City and San Andreas were prequels that spawned out of GTA III's success. They were not numbered entries. Rockstar don't make those kinds of games anymore and it's just not practical judging by their new business model. They go from numbered entry to numbered entry. That is one of the things that the HD universe marked the beginning of. The template for numbered entries has always been one embedded within the cultural context of the years they were made in. Judging by their reluctance to even provide single-player DLC nowadays, do you really think they would spend money to make an entire single-player game in between V and VI? And had GTA VI taken place in 80s VC, it would be the first numbered entry to take place in a different era. I just don't see it happening. 

That's my point, also people gotta remember Rockstar is designing this new world with both Story Mode and Online Mode in mind, it surely will last as long as GTA 5 more or less before GTA 7 comes out, so by the point GTA 7 releases, GTA 6's story in the 80's could be fifty years in the past by then, do you really think Rockstar will make GTA 6 in this time period and prevent themselves from adding modern weapons, modern vehicles, those contracts with contemporary artists like they do on GTA Online and way more just because a few old guys are nostalgic about the 80's? I also very much doubt they would make two different time periods for the same game, 1980's for Story Mode and 2020's for Online Mode, it's too much unnecessary work they can expend improving the game elsewhere.

2 hours ago, VercettiGuy said:

Honestly, my main reason for wanting a past setting is the damn phone. I hated it in GTAO. I don't want to be called a bazillion times a day anymore or hack everything. Not only the phone, but all that stupid unrealistic tech-stuff from GTAO. It really killed the fun for me at some point.

I don't think that should be a problem in Story Mode.

VercettiGuy
59 minutes ago, Edward RDRIII said:

I don't think that should be a problem in Story Mode.

While that's probably true, I will spend most of my time in online. I hope they learned from GTAO and will keep the next one a bit more realistic. And a bit less "buy this huge building that you'll never visit to do some boring jobs" would be nice aswell.

I like to create my own character and story in these games. Did it in GTAO, did it in RDO and now I'm looking forward to GTAO2.0 even more than to story mode.

But there are a few things that are more important for that than the decade it is set in. A much bigger disappointment would be for example not having a second city again. Not having that Cuba area.

Edward RDRIII
1 hour ago, VercettiGuy said:

While that's probably true, I will spend most of my time in online. I hope they learned from GTAO and will keep the next one a bit more realistic. And a bit less "buy this huge building that you'll never visit to do some boring jobs" would be nice aswell.

I like to create my own character and story in these games. Did it in GTAO, did it in RDO and now I'm looking forward to GTAO2.0 even more than to story mode.

But there are a few things that are more important for that than the decade it is set in. A much bigger disappointment would be for example not having a second city again. Not having that Cuba area.

Don't be deluded, if it wasn't cellphones, Rockstar surely would find some other way to annoy players until they do what they want, receiving calls with those big phones like Tommy's, pager messages like the one Vic got, you name it.

tEw1A4J_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&
I don’t want GTA V 2

• Like 2
  • Bruh 1