4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

ground/mud low quality fix

gregorius11

gregorius11

There was a vast number of complaints about the mud losing quality in the distance and the ground generally looking poor as well. A guy on Redditt says it's because a setting called deep surface quality was changed from ultra to low under system.xml after the update. Here's the link to the post -> https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/comments/dwtfbz/settingsxml_since_last_patch_mud_lod_fix/f7m04il/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

The file can be found under C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings and you need to modify <deepsurfaceQuality>kSettingLevel_Low</deepsurfaceQuality>  to  <deepsurfaceQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</deepsurfaceQuality> You can also try with high.

The setting was changed to low for me as well. Putting it back to ultra seems to have fixed the problem as shown in the screenshot below. Don't forget to backup the file before you start meddling with it. Also, another guy from Reddit says "You may also need to set the system.xml file to read only because the game likes to revert some of the values back to default whenever you enter the graphics options in-game", but I cannot confirm it yet.

oczb03J.jpg

Edited by gregorius11
  • Like 1

Thanks for this i'll check this out later, so many people were saying the graphics were 'downgraded', there's a difference between a bug and downgrading. Hope more people see this.

EDIT: Another user commented this:

There’s an easier way to fix this and usually other hidden settings as well. This immediately bugged the hell out me so I set the preset slider to ultra, and then manually changed each setting to my previous settings. I also turned tree tess off because the hit was way too much.

After I applied the rebalancing workaround, the game runs and looks beautifully.

Setting the preset slider to ultra and then manually changing settings back to your previous ones is a safer bet if you don't wanna mess around with XML files it seems.

Edited by Mored
Spider-Vice

Wonder if Rockstar should consider adding that to the game, or making it synchronise with the POM setting. BTW, setting it to High is enough for closer to mid-end GPU's, I had  mine set to Ultra and lost frames in Saint Denis until I reverted it to High which is where I had it in "1.00", still looks fine.

• Like 3
Xerukal

What's the performance impact like of having it on ultra versus low? 

EDIT: Didn't see Spider's post. Yeah, High should be okay. 

Edited by Xerukal
RedIndianRobin
46 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

Wonder if Rockstar should consider adding that to the game, or making it synchronise with the POM setting. BTW, setting it to High is enough for closer to mid-end GPU's, I had  mine set to Ultra and lost frames in Saint Denis until I reverted it to High which is where I had it in "1.00", still looks fine.

I actually got better FPS in St. Denis with it on Ultra lol. 

Streifenkarl
3 hours ago, Mored said:

Thanks for this i'll check this out later, so many people were saying the graphics were 'downgraded', there's a difference between a bug and downgrading. Hope more people see this.

It's not a bug, come on. They haven't changed some settings like this, snow glint etc. out of the blue. That was in hope to reduce stuttering and improve FPS slightly, while hoping, that the PC Community won't notice it. This stuff doesn't happen by mistake, i doubt that.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Streifenkarl said:

It's not a bug, come on. They haven't changed some settings like this, snow glint etc. out of the blue. That was in hope to reduce stuttering and improve FPS slightly, while hoping, that the PC Community won't notice it. This stuff doesn't happen by mistake, i doubt that.

Well the fact is you can change it back to it's normal setting, most downgrades are done before release and there is simply no way of getting it to where it was before, in this case you can. Just be glad it isn't a permanent. 

Spider-Vice
2 minutes ago, Streifenkarl said:

It happened because settings for many were reset to full low. Those settings change with the global slider (as mentioned above), which is why they didn't change when people readjusted everything to their liking. Let's not start spreading misinformation already.

Streifenkarl
10 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

It happened because settings for many were reset to full low. Those settings change with the global slider (as mentioned above), which is why they didn't change when people readjusted everything to their liking. Let's not start spreading misinformation already.

My settings haven't changed to full low at all. They have reverted to mainly mid settings, while still being called custom settings. But i had to change the setting in the XML file regardless. So basically you're speading misinformation. ;)

Edited by Streifenkarl
Spider-Vice
3 minutes ago, Streifenkarl said:

My settings haven't changed to full low at all. They have reverted to mainly mid settings, while still being called custom settings. But i had to change the setting in the XML file regardless. So basically you're speading misinformation. ;)

If it were an intentional "downgrade", the global slider wouldn't even change anything or the settings would be removed. It's more likely it's a glitch than anything but okay.

RuskiChleb
2 minutes ago, maxim444 said:

my game crashes after this .....any fix ?

"Don't forget to backup the file before you start meddling with it."

1 minute ago, RuskiChleb said:

"Don't forget to backup the file before you start meddling with it."

Already backuped up - why would it crash if i only deleted the files and the game rebuilt it ?

Pointi1978

The fix works. Most noticeable when you watch wagons or coaches going by, now you can see their trails until far away again and not only like 1 Meter.

RedIndianRobin
38 minutes ago, maxim444 said:

my game crashes after this .....any fix ? "ERR_GFX_STATE"

Here is the solution to it:

1 hour ago, RedIndianRobin said:

Here is the solution to it:

thank you so much 

edit : it didnt help

Edited by maxim444
  • 1 year later...

Im late but i need hepl pls.

I tried changing this setting but the ground quality didnt change ingame.

Then i changed from high texture to Ultra and this also changed my ground quality and it looked fine then, but i cant stay at ultra textures cause i only have 3gb vram.

Anybody knows why changing deepsurface quality doesnt effect my game?

Edited by Jon123
  • 5 weeks later...
Montana Actual
On 12/15/2020 at 3:25 PM, Jon123 said:

Im late but i need hepl pls.

I tried changing this setting but the ground quality didnt change ingame.

Then i changed from high texture to Ultra and this also changed my ground quality and it looked fine then, but i cant stay at ultra textures cause i only have 3gb vram.

Anybody knows why changing deepsurface quality doesnt effect my game?

I think you answered your own question. 3GB VRAM.